• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
has anyone here played Costume Quest 2 yet? It's a bit on the expensive side and the reviews aren't great

... I really like the first game though

Sendou

has anyone here played Costume Quest 2 yet? It's a bit on the expensive side and the reviews aren't great

... I really like the first game though

I played it. It doesn't recognize the proper refresh frate of my monitor (60Hz) but instead goes to 59Hz when I try to play it at native resolution of my monitor. With lower resolutions it seems to support 60Hz. I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the stutters I'm getting. Not sure how to start troubleshooting this problem tbh :/ With this configuration I haven't had this problem with other games.

Seemed like a charming game just like the first Costume Quest from the little I played.

MattyG

Banned
Anyone thinks Valve will do something for the 10th anniversary of HL2 in about 3 days?
giphy.gif

Hanzou

Oh man even 10 minutes of Alien is too much for me.
I kind of want to play it but the constant fear I know would scare the crap out of me. The first dead space did that to me a bit and the Alan Wake at certain times would buikd up so much tension in me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I lurked the Building Thread a lot, and I think remember hearing often about some disadvantages with ASRock boards. I think some components they use are worse than ASUS in terms of OC, forgot most of it because I went for ASUS stuff anyway.

I'd say that's not something worth worrying about if you're on a relatively tight budget and thus relying on air cooling or a modest all-in-one watercooling kit. For instance, Tweaktown managed to hit 4.85GHz using a Corsair H100.

AHA-Lambda

Thank you :)

I'd say that's not something worth worrying about if you're on a relatively tight budget and thus relying on air cooling or a modest all-in-one watercooling kit. For instance, Tweaktown managed to hit 4.85GHz using a Corsair H100.

I'm not on a relatively tight budget, I can be flexible, just want something that's best value for money and features. Don't really know what to look for in a motherboard tbh.

Tizoc

Well when Counter Strike made 15 years this year, they started the Summer sale on the same day. So maybe Autumn Sale?

IIRC there was an e-mail sent to some pubs/devs that states the autumn sale starting on Oct 30th or whereabouts. It also strictly states not to leak this information to anyone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well when Counter Strike made 15 years this year, they started the Summer sale on the same day. So maybe Autumn Sale?

Steam's sales always start on a Thursday and November 16th is a Sunday.

I'm not on a relatively tight budget, I can be flexible, just want something that's best value for money and features. Don't really know what to look for in a motherboard tbh.

Ah. Well, the Extreme4 doesn't have integrated WiFi, so it's out of the picture, I suppose. ;)

Rafy

Hey guys, so I have 10 euro in my prepaid card that I have to do something with since I can't cash them at the cash machine.

My 970 is arriving this week and I realized I have no challenging games for it. All I have is Titanfall (not really challenging since it uses the source engine and my hd4600 can handle it on medium settings) and BF3 which is a 2 year old game. Thief is on sale on GMG, should I go for it or are there other better games that I can get for that price seeing that most of GAF considers Thief to be a letdown. I'll get more stuff during the winter sale but I want something that I can push that 970 with till then.

EDIT: I am not a fan of horror games.

Kiru

Thank you :)

Oh, I forgot, I would swap that RAM for some low profile RAM, otherwise cpu coolers might have problem to fit. Those heatsinks on RAM are mostly useless, just for style.

Deitus

Bundle leftovers. Sorry if a bunch of people have already given these away, or if no one wants them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AquaNox -- MB-6C5605C305B07FDF - Taken by Demon Lizardman. 1 entrants total.
Summoner -- MB-A2251E686C18D31F - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
AquaNox 2: Revelation -- MB-8F75F93953462412 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Black Mirror -- MB-956D0680ABDA753C - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.

t1413139557z1.png

Rafy

Dreamfall Chapters, is 9.66€ in Russia. Thief doesn't worth your money, trust me.

I just saw the trailer and it doesn't look like it's going to be challenging for a 970. I am looking for something that pushes the card.

IDK, I might be asking too much for that price...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I thought the new Thief was a pretty alright Stealth game with a shit story. I enjoyed the game. Except for the overworld that is boring, confusing and boring.

Kiru

Lol, I had some low profile ram on that list until someone on the PC thread said those other ones were better xD

These were the ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009YOJZ5E/

Weird, I kinda doubt that :D 1600MHz is fine. 2400MHz will only give you minimal gains in gaming and is maybe better if you are using your rig for Photoshop & Editing stuff. And yeah those heatsinks are really useless. Just makes your stuff look cooler if you have a windowed case.

Excellent RAM btw, those Corsair LP, but seriously you can't go that wrong with RAM. But those are good and LP.

Hanzou

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hanzou, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steamworld Dig -- MB-CE9EFFB1A673CDDF - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 9 entrants total.
Binding of Isaac and Wrath of the Lamb DLC -- MB-A47B6CD4D4F9BC1B - Taken by thesaucetastic. 2 entrants total.
Monaco -- MB-77BAF9709B0B1334

t1413140037z1.png
Some Humble keys, good luck.

dani_dc

For anyone wanting to make games
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
RPG Maker VX Ace -- MB-34C4F8D5E6E0B06A - Taken by kami_sama. 2 entrants total.

t1413130196z1.png

cHinzo

Here you go guys. I hope these find some good owners. Don't enter if you're not going to play it. I love you crazy bunch.

Awesome giveaway Shadow. Also, nice thread. :>

Pretty stoked that my new laptop is arriving on the same day Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel gets unlocked. RIP free time.

dani_dc

And something for those already making games:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

RPG Maker Adventurer's Journey DLC -- MB-AE79AA597E7A5D69 - Taken by kami_sama
RPG Maker Tyler Warren's First 50 Battler Pack DLC -- MB-FBEB13AC617413DB - Taken by ZeroXZee
RPG Maker Royal Tileset Pack DLC -- MB-91DCC2E573BF313D - Taken by TheGreatDirector
Skyborn -- MB-DDD24034BF4E4E5A - Taken by Mass_Pincup
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-9FE30A76D65493A6 - Taken by trailmix16

Hey guys, can I ask your advice on my plans for a new rig?

Anything really wrong here or that can be improved or that I've missed?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/2EF6FENGOH/

Couple other questions:

1) Is that motherboard ok? Will it last me long enough for any potential upgrades?
2) If I don't want to overclock is the stock fan that comes with the cpu enough? I shouldn't have to worry about cooling?
3) Is that case ok? Tbh, I don't want to spend much on a case, as long as everything will fit in it.

Stupid question aside from that, when I buy the parts for my new rig will it come with all of the necessary cables or do I need to get them elsewhere too? What about screws? I know I still need to get myself some other amenities anyway like an anti-static strap, so is there anything else obvious I may have missed?

I have that same case, and it's pretty nice for the money, the area for cable management could be better but overall it's a nice case and has good air flow.

AHA-Lambda

Weird, I kinda doubt that :D 1600MHz is fine. 2400MHz will only give you minimal gains in gaming and is maybe better if you are using your rig for Photoshop & Editing stuff. And yeah those heatsinks are really useless. Just makes your stuff look cooler if you have a windowed case.

Excellent RAM btw, those Corsair LP, but seriously you can't go that wrong with RAM. But those are good and LP.

I have that same case, and it's pretty nice for the money, the area for cable management could be better but overall it's a nice case and has good air flow.

Zooey-Deschanel-Thumbs-Up-Reaction-Gif.gif

And yeah, there's the post recommending the other RAM.

There's no cpu on the list ?

Also I'd take faster memory - that 1600 CL10 will cost you a lot of frames in cpu limited places in games

And 2400 CL 10 is only 20 pounds more expensive which is nothing compared to what you pay for whole system.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007V9PZFI/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom