• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Profiles to be overhauled, profile levels and Steam Trading Cards added

hFEutos.jpg

luVnQqn.png

2TDU3.png

Eh, just cropped this up myself.
emotions.png

Profile level is determined by the badges and each badge is worth X amount of XP.

The profile change was pushed out earlier, but it was reverted when it was determined that it exposed private profiles. So expect it to be pushed out again and announced soon.

Also, profile backgrounds can be changed.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't mind a redesign, but all this extra metagame bullshit just ain't for me. I'm starting to fall into that trap of "Valve doesn't do things I care for anymore" :(

Hypron

I wonder how this will affect achievements. I hope we'll get a page with a summary of all our achievements.

inky

I don't know why when I read the title for a second there I thought both would be connected, like, the profiles would become the trading cards and you'd need to "collect" friends!

I just thought everyone would start erasing me from their friend lists to clear a spot for someone who plays more games, lol.

Valve sure loves this meta game stuff.

I'm not really into the item trading scene with Steam games, but I'll check this out whatever it is anyways.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The fonts in that first picture are a disaster, but I do think Steam should do more with community functionality than they're doing now and the user profile is one of the last bits to be overhauled after fixing offline IM / mobile IM, turning the friends page into a social network, and fixing forums/groups.

KingKong

I imagine this stuff will be involved heavily in the Summer Sale

seems like buying games will give you themes/elements that you could trade?

what if they drop randomly like TF2/Dota2 items? My god...

Dmax3901

I imagine this stuff will be involved heavily in the Summer Sale

seems like buying games will give you themes/elements that you could trade?

what if they drop randomly like TF2/Dota2 items? My god...

Oh shit how long til the summer sale? I remember the wait for the last one was excruciating. People in that thread went insane.

Though I have to say their efforts to make people try out all the Steam features in a "fun" way is a step in the right direction.

Mupod

I loved the events like those tickets you could earn via achievements and cash in for games/DLC. Gave me an excuse to fire up some of those untouched random indie games I got for pennies, and I even found a few I enjoyed a lot as a result. I missed them the last few big sales but perhaps the reason for their absence is that they were working on this.

Even if this is just pointless cosmetic stuff, that's still something.

Card Boy

Banned
I wonder when they would count games as actual games. I don't have 770 games and i don't want people to think i have 770 games, i have 300 and it should say 300 on my profile. A hat or a costume i got for free shouldn't count as a game.

Maybe by 2020 they might fix it.

I don't really like this. Then again, I don't like most of the updates/redesigns Steam gets.

Plus it'll probably just make the client perform even more like shit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So those trading cards are only badges basically? Why even calling them "trading" cards if you cant trade them?

Kurdel

Banned
Awesome!

I have been looking for some Steam friends, seeing I only have 11. This kind of stuff will be great with a robust group.

Add me: Kurdel

Card Boy

Banned
damn i got excited about realish trading cards

Me and you both.

My assumption was games like Magic: The Gathering could take advantage of a inventory system to trade and sell cards. Just imagine a Triple Triad TCG on Steam using such a system.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
50XP for each year on Steam.
You need 100XP for each level.

Still want to know what these Trading Cards are. As for design, eh, it's not preferred but it will do. Just want quick loadups.

Jawmuncher

I like it better than the current page.
Though the level thing gets a MEH from me.
Especially since the achievements still are integrated as a whole.
Though I suppose that's what the level system would do. But still meh on that.

Top Bottom