• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam reached 15M concurrent users

dex3108

After PUBG broke record for most concurrent players earlier today now another record was broken. Steam reached 15 million concurrent users.

OUUuE2O.png

That's at least 13 million grandmas who accidentally downloaded Steam and have it automatically running in the background on startup, though.

yuraya

As a fun fact...Steam has been breaking its concurrent peak for 4 straight weekends. It basically went from 14.1 (the record) = 14.3 = 14.5 = 14.7 = and now 15. All in the last month.

PUBG is definitely responsible for a lot of the growth but it seems that all the big games have slightly increased. so its just a really good month for Steam across the board.

Faithless Mr.

Neo Member
PUBG effect. Cotdang!

Microsoft did well to secure this early on. I'm confident that PUBG will be the main reason Xbox will finally catch up to the PS4 in the US.

As a fun fact...Steam has been breaking its concurrent peak for 4 straight weekends. It basically went from 14.1 (the record) = 14.3 = 14.5 = 14.7 = and now 15. All in the last month.

PUBG is definitely responsible for a lot of the growth but it seems that all the big games have slightly increased. so its just a really good month for Steam across the board.

Maybe Steam is getting bigger in China?

DieH@rd

Banned
PUBG would be so much more popular if it had system requirements of CS:GO. But that can't be helped, the game has to render much more.

That's at least 13 million grandmas who accidentally downloaded Steam and have it automatically running in the background on startup, though.

don't forget the prankster uncles.

So uh, where exactly did this meme come from? Is it from the anti-PC Gaming concern-trolls who started cropping up when the pattern of 3rd Party PS3/4 exclusives getting ported to PC started becoming a thing? (When I recall around that time that SteamSpy threads about ports became banned for awhile due to them always turning into cesspits of trolling and flame-wars.)

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

So uh, where exactly did this meme come from? Is it from the anti-PC Gaming concern-trolls who started cropping up when the pattern of 3rd Party PS3/4 exclusives getting ported to PC started becoming a thing? (When I recall around that time that SteamSpy threads about ports became banned for awhile due to them always turning into cesspits of trolling and flame-wars.)

Pretty sure that's just an AOL kind of joke about old people

The 'prankster uncle' mem came from a post in a previous "Steam breaks concurrent user record" thread. A poster, trying to downplay the numbers, said that an uncle of his installed Steam on his computer as a prank and he never bothered to uninstall it which in his mind meant that he was counted as an active user even though he never played games on Steam and thus these records were meaningless.

Falk

that puzzling face

Pretty sure that's just an AOL kind of joke about old people

There was a very specific GAF thread downplaying Steam (or Dota2, can't remember) numbers with a bunch of hilarious 'but what if's which pretty much had both legs thigh-deep in Poe's Law. From aunties accidentally installing Steam and leaving it idle to asking how many of them were actually having fun (or else it didn't count) and so on.

Joke's been run into the ground as much as the first few posts of any recent Pachter thread, to be honest.

Can't recall who posted the grandmas, but prankster uncle was a joke post by ViviOggi.

The 'prankster uncle' mem came from a post in a previous "Steam breaks concurrent user record" thread. A poster, trying to downplay the numbers, said that an uncle of his installed Steam on his computer as a prank and he never bothered to uninstall it which in his mind meant that he was counted as an active user even though he never played games on Steam and thus these records were meaningless.

You've been had :p

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I guess the breadth of stupidity angry nerds are capable of should never be underestimated

Trago

Great for the platform. I know at least ten people who don't pay attention to PC that wanted to get into PC thanks to PUBG. That game is literally growing the PC audience.

BigEmil

There was a very specific GAF thread downplaying Steam (or Dota2, can't remember) numbers with a bunch of hilarious 'but what if's which pretty much had both legs thigh-deep in Poe's Law. From aunties accidentally installing Steam and leaving it idle to asking how many of them were actually having fun (or else it didn't count) and so on.

Joke's been run into the ground as much as the first few posts of any recent Pachter thread, to be honest.
While those examples sounds ridiculous it's not crazy to think many people have Steam installed on their PC's and laptops and some just never use it except once or twice but Steam still runs auto startup at boot by default

DrkSage

I Decided to make a steam account to start building my games library, guess I'll soon be one of those concurrent users :) *shrugs*

Amazing.

MS is a more likely candidate.

Will probably end up being some Chinese company.

I remember that thread. Fun times.

While those examples sounds ridiculous it's not crazy to think many people have Steam installed on their PC's and laptops and some just never use it except once or twice but Steam still runs auto startup at boot by default

and those people don't contribute to the numbers usually being discussed. they're non-entities, something for people totally ignorant to Steam to point at in desperate frustration

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Given the software autostarts and i'm not even using it this 15M doesn't tell me how many people are REALLY using it.

jono51

Banned
Pretty sure the uncharted franchise alone has sold a lot more than 15m, which says it all really. PS4 is still the king.

Nzyme32

And in every thread of this sort someone has to point out that Steam does not do this by default

Given the software autostarts and i'm not even using it this 15M doesn't tell me how many people are REALLY using it.

It does not unless you tell it to.

Top Bottom