• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam security issue revealed personal info to other users on XMas Day (fixed)

Alfredo

Uh oh. I added my card to my account an hour ago to gift games to people. Now I'm seeing the account info of someone who really likes buying stuff for Counter-Strike...

This seems bad.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Showing up a different account, can even turn off Steam Guard from my end. This is bad.

I'd imagine if you have any purchases today, your steam wallet will be fully refundable and then some. As for credit card.... They can't get the full number or CCV from steam. I'd worry more about identity theft from the email/phone number.

My email worries me yes, but I use different passwords for Steam and my email. The phone number I have listed is old and out of service :/

shira

Just refreshed and...

rGUH1Wp.png

It's okay stumpo, your account is safe with me!

time to nuke everything, nuke creditcards, nuke paypal, nuke phone, nuke email

Sjefen

damn, I was going to go crazy with the steam sales tommorrow and registrate a new visa card(old one expired in november). looks like I dodged the bullet.

Valve needs to fix this asap, if millions of people lose their money on their accounts the lawsuit could be huge.

WHY IS THE STORE AND ACCOUNT PAGES AND EVERYTHING STILL UP

This is 100% the kind of thing you hit the big red "shut it down" button and shut it down. This isn't something like when there is a hack and stuff may have been taken and you email and say "change passwords".

This is (seemingly) random people having direct account access to accounts not belonging to them and being able to still use the store to buy shit or change account information. This is exactly the stuff you nuke the servers for to protect the customer.

But nah, we'll leave the servers up. Lots of people would have gotten steam credit today, gotta let them spend it!

Agreed 100%, if they are working on it why didnt they shut the servers down? With peoples adresses, phone numbers, full names, cc numbers and access to permanently remove games from accounts this is a massive security mess.

RoyalFool

Banned

Account Security
Protected by Steam Mobile Authenticator

^ The irony

So from what I can tell, you can't actually do anything - its basically caching that account page when it shouldn't be, but at least you can't in theory commit any actions on other peoples accounts it shows you. It's not caching the auth cookie by the look of it.

Reebot

Shit happens, everyone fucks up.
It's annoying, it's utter shit even.

But shit happens.

And part of running a store or subscription entertainment service is preventing this type of thing, and standing constantly ready if or when it happens. Its a reality of modern online commerce.

This really isn't a situation in which Valve deserves sympathy. We're far, far beyond "shit happens," and deep into incredibly poor handling of the situation.

Benson

Fuck, they REALLY need to just pull the plug right now! How can they keep the service up when it has been so thoroughly compromised?!

Keeping an eye on my bank account to see if any payments go through.

Top Bottom