• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam security issue revealed personal info to other users on XMas Day (fixed)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just refreshed and...

rGUH1Wp.png

It's okay stumpo, your account is safe with me!

Well, this isn't comforting. No one is safe.

Reebot

I know it's difficult for people to think big picture on certain things, but can you think what day it is?

Boo hoo?

Part of running an online store is accounting for this possibility.

If Valve didn't want to work on Christmas they shouldn't have Steam online. So long as it remains up, they have an obligation to protect customers.

This isn't one of those "but think about the holiday" type things. This is one of those "drop everything and fucking fix it" things.

Podge293

Each time I refresh trying to get to mine it changes the person it previously was. This is some serious fuck up. Like massive fuck up

Mihos

Gold Member
Guys! If you can, move all your money from the account tied to your Credit Card to another account not tied to anything. That's what I did, at least people cannot buy anymore games using my account.

Nah, almost everyone has overdraft protection. .. you will still get chrged, plus and over draft fee.

Grief.exe

On the website I got account_name account, but I wasn't connected and too scared to even try. On the client it's was my account anyway.

stop posting usernames.

While it is Christmas, not being able to use the store, and potentially losing money seems like it should be the priority.

And does it matter today's Christmas? NOBODY can purchase anything to their own accounts. It won't affect valve more than it's already.

Obviously.

The point was, no one is at the controls right now. With everything automated, it's the perfect time for an attack of this nature.

Now Valve is forced to rip people away from their families to fix the issue, continue generating revenue, and handle the fallout.

ChrisDM

This is super uncomforting considering I can just see someone else's account info, so I can imagine other can see mine somewhere. Eugh, what the hell happened?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The duct-taped toboggan that is Steam finally jumps the shark. It's always been shit, but this is a new level of shit. Might be time to get a management and accountability workplace structure in now eh?

Pretty disgusting level of complete security failure anyway (and during a thoroughly shit sale too). They need to cop at least a third of the heat Sony did with their PSN plop in 2011 but thats when they were still "the bad guys", so probably not.

I cant access my own account info page, it keeps giving me some random guy's info. And I cant even delete my CC info right now. I'm closely monitoring my bank account but this is some serious bullshit.

AetherZX

Happening to me too. A bunch of people in my family sharing list I don't even know (and just disappeared...weird).

Checked my paypal account and nothing has been purchased on it (last time I was in steam, paypal wasnt asking for a password as it was setup as 'my paypal account')

Have no funds in steam wallet and no cc linked. Steamguard always been enabled....hopefully this shit gets sorted. Cannot login to steam at the moment

Got into someone account with steamguard mobile enabled, no one is safe.

taco543

So I HAVEN'T DONE IT! IM NOT AN ASSHOLE. However for research I clicked into a random persons cart and they have their information stored and its allowing to buy the game with no password nothing... again I HAVEN'T DONE IT, I just got as far as to confirming purchase.

Panda Rin

Just got my own account details page back. Using Paypal, so guess I'm glad that's a thing.

Still completely fucked, especially if this wasn't even a security breach...huge fuck-up from Steam.

Currently staring at someone else's e-mail, paypal account e-mail, wallet balance, partial phone number, name, purchase history etc.

What the actual fuck Valve. Pull these servers down immediately, jesus. I'm super glad now that I've always refused to ever store my credit card details on Steam.

Top Bottom