• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam store page update (discovery, curation, customization, blueness)

I dunno. On one hand I like the general look as well as the ability to filter Software/Early Access. On the other hand I don't like how they bumped down Top Sellers and I question the need for the "recently updated" tab.

I also don't get the queue system. In practice it seems like it's intended to essentially be a bunch of popular AAA games. Which is fine, but why not display it in a single list or graphic rather then have to constantly click through the store pages?

The curator system seems neat. I like the ability to "merge" all your curator lists into a recommended products list, although it would be nice to be able to remove items you already own from that list.

Tagyhag

This is great for those that don't keep up with releases. I've looked through the entire library already and keep up with daily releases so I don't have much use for this.

The "Recently Updated" section is a great addition.

It's less great when the recent updates are just stuff like (chillingly accurate, and yet not real examples):

"HEY ITS -75% OFF NOW! BETTER GO GET IT! SALE ENDS APRIL 2013!"

"We're celebrating the release of the new patch with a sale! The game is currently 50% off on the st..."

"Lots of new stuff!"

GavinUK86

Hmmm, 3 guesses for what game I've been playing alot of recently.

I like it overall so far, although it's clearly still rough around the edges (e.g. bad background gradient, etc.). Future updates will probably polish it up. Will take some time to get used to.

I like it overall so far, although it's clearly still rough around the edges (e.g. bad background gradient, etc.). Future updates will probably polish it up. Will take some time to get used to.

They are probably planning to update it a few times this week, which is why I think that it was released today. Gives them enough time to smooth it out before the weekend.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Hmm. I made the recently updated tab only my games now and it's actually useful. Yeah, I could just pay more attention to my downloads, but eh.

SparkTR

The curator thing is something genius, it basically links the audience of gaming personalities directly with the Steam store. I don't know for sure just yet but this update may be a cornerstone of something revolutionary.

Follow my curation!

I'm a PhD in Literature and will curate my page with smart games that have smart things tos say. These are games that I would proudly bring into my classroom as I feel their presentation of various themes are rich enough that they could be developed into full lectures and generate great class discussion.

As new games worthy of these titles come to my attention, I will add them to the list, but I promise to be very choosy, highlighting only the best that gaming has to offer in this regard.

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6856811/

Great idea for a list. Followed!

^^^ devilwood: devil game!

NeoGAF recomends: Sakura Spirit

Stop the bus! I wanna get off from GAF!

Had a few games I'll never buy keep repopping on that list de-recommending took a bit, but it works...OK now? It seems like it shows a very small snippet of potential candidates each time, almost as if it's a snapshot taken during a certain timeframe.

Hmm, just woke up. Need to chew this through. Not seeing a lot of happy people though. Would be nice if Valve shipped a robust product/update for a change.

dr_rus

There are only two places on the whole Steam main page I'm interested in: New Releases and Upcoming Releases lists. They can pretty much kill everything else on it in my opinion.

This new update moves both lists to separate pages which makes Steam front worse in my view. Don't care about their "recommendations" as I rarely find new stuff on Steam first.

Fractal

Banned
Asked this in the other thread, but didn't get an answer:
Is there any way to remove the Curator and Queue tabs from the Store page?
To me, they just add clutter to the page and make it harder to navigate. Have no use for either feature.

Rootbeer

Banned
finally you can see what games and DLC you own by looking around in the store. Such a small thing makes a HUGE difference!

yes yes yes... there are browser add-ons that can do this for the website, but having it in the client is such a big help. So, so happy.

Overall the update is great.

gelf

I can't see much use for the curators unless I really found someone who matched my tastes. The big PC gaming names certainly don't.

The filters though are great. I've hidden all early access and will tell it to ignore all free to play it recommends to me and its nice not having games I already own advertised.

I look forward to seeing what TotalBscuit has to say on almost every single game I check out on Steam.
/s

Yeah, I see now that they're not recommendations so much as they are an excuse to say, "hey look I covered this game [link]"

The question now is, will Valve curb these abuses of the system or let it stand?

Now excuse me while I go rest in the Laugh Room for no particular reason.

eot

Banned
Looks a bit cluttered to me, but I can't remember the last time I found out about a game through the Steam store page so whatever. I go there to buy something I already knew about, not to discover thing to potentially buy.

UnrealEck

Yeah, I see now that they're not recommendations so much as they are an excuse to say, "hey look I covered this game [link]"

The question now is, will Valve curb these abuses of the system or let it stand?

Now excuse me while I go rest in the Laugh Room for no particular reason.

I'm sure there'll be more people sharing similar criticisms of the Curator page if someone like say, PewDiePie rallies his 'Bro Army' (I think that's what he calls his fans) to add him on Steam as a favourite curator. He seems to always have huge popularity, which means there's a chance he'll become popular as a curator on Steam meaning you'll see him on game's store pages. The seemingly abundant dislike for him will cause people to see the curator thing a bit more critically.

Denton

I don't think I have ever bought a game discovering it right in the shop. I always know what I am buying beforehand. So for me all these changes might as well not exist. But I am sure many people aren't like me, and at least it looks much nicer now :)

Forkball

I don't get how the NeoGAF curator thing works. Who is in charge of that? I clicked on Mercenary Kings and it took me to an OT posted in April. Can I contribute to it? Does it do it automatically? I'M SCARED.

Also my queue was full of military shooters, ew.

Top Bottom