• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

Sentenza

What I'm not sure is why these developers seem so shy in advertising that they are ditching GFWL.
If I was a developer/publisher removing that plague from my game in favor of Steamworks, I would write it with a font size 72 all over the store page.
Especially on Steam.

Nokterian

I have to head out for class, but I will keep my eye on this.

Most likely, patch will go out tomorrow in conjunction with a weekend deal on Steam, all promoting Arkham Origins release next week.

Let it be true..oh god..i have played it last time and it is still installed on my hdd but GFWL was such a pain in the butt to install on Windows 8..you don't want to know.

What I'm not sure is why these developers seem so shy in advertising that they are ditching GFWL.
If I was a developer/publisher removing that plague from my game in favor of Steamworks, I would write it with a font size 72 all over the store page.
Especially on Steam.

Microsoft is still a key business partner and there's this new thing MS is releasing next month and all...

Grief.exe

Especially on Steam.

It also shows that they made a huge mistake implementing the DRM in the first place.

Public companies rarely admit mistakes, they usually try to pass off those negatives as a 'feature.'

The minute Microsoft officially officially announces that GFWL's server is going dead (I don't think it has had an official statement yet?) Valve should require GFWL games on Steam to have a huge warning on its page.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
The minute Microsoft officially officially announces that GFWL's server is going dead (I don't think it has had an official statement yet?) Valve should require GFWL games on Steam to have a huge warning on its page.

They announced it almost a month ago.
The store its already closed, the service will be shut down around Summer 2014, can't remember the date.

Grief.exe

The store its already closed, the service will be shut down around Summer 2014, can't remember the date.

They announced the store would be closing, but that is it.

The summer 2014 date was a leak courtousey of AOE:O that was quickly removed. Nothing official has been released.

Microsoft officially announced the stores closing but in terms of the actual service - the announcement of it closing in 2014 came from a (probably accidental) statement on the Age of Empires Online page.

Grief.exe

The AOE:O announcent was amended fairly quickly to just imply AOE:O was closing.

Someone at Microsoft was probably very pissed about that.

Redrum_82

The update should be imminent (if it's not up already).
Both games are weekend deals and there is no more mention of GFWL on the store page.

Grief.exe

This just posted, Capcom to remove GFWL as well

ikF1UABchQmgU.png

http://steamcommunity.com/app/21690/...38082544346928

I could picture a scenario where they just move everyone to the GOTY edition instead of dealing with individual DLC updates. I'm sure now that the GOTY editions are available and are put on sale regularly, individual DLC sales are pretty insignificant at this point and maybe not worth the effort to port the DLC to steam individually.

Called it. :p

Wonko_C

I checked off the "Automatic updates" box for Arkham City, then see if GFWL still works. I'll report back with results.

Grief.exe

Title is a little misleading as its not technically gone yet. They said it will hopefully be done by the end of the year.

So, what happens with Dirt 3's DLC? Do we keep what we had? Get everything? Lose everything?

The strategy has been to give consumers everything, as there is no way to track what DLC was purchased from the GFWL store.

So, anybody have info on Dead Rising 2 and Bulletstorm yet? Both of these are flat broken for me.

I'd also like to pick up Gears of War PC on the cheap at some point if anybody has any ideas on that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, anybody have info on Dead Rising 2 and Bulletstorm yet? Both of these are flat broken for me.

I'd also like to pick up Gears of War PC on the cheap at some point if anybody has any ideas on that.

One SPUF user claimed to have received a response from Capcom stating that GFWL will be removed from its relevant games, but later in the thread another person was reportedly told that Capcom is waiting for Microsoft to detail what effect the service's shutdown will have; Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm.

Edit: I'll also note that I myself contacted Capcom regarding its plans for its GFWL titles in hope of ascertaining the veracity of the aforementioned SPUF post, and I also asked Epic if there were any plans to remove GFWL from Gears PC, but unsurprisingly I was ignored.

Grief.exe

One SPUF user claimed to have received a response from Capcom stating that GFWL will be removed from its relevant games, but later in the thread another person was reportedly told that Capcom is waiting for Microsoft to detail what effect the service's shutdown will have; Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm.

Edit: I'll also note that I myself contacted Capcom regarding its plans for its GFWL titles in hope of ascertaining the veracity of the aforementioned SPUF post, and I also asked Epic if there were any plans to remove GFWL from Gears PC, but unsurprisingly I was ignored.

Epic might as well be discussing Gears of War at the same time as Bulletstorm. Make it happen guys.

What's the deal with Halo 2? Is there any weird DRM on that? I really want to play it on a PC, but games from that time always had weird restrictions.

JaseC

Epic might as well be discussing Gears of War at the same time as Bulletstorm. Make it happen guys.

Hopefully! I still have my retail copy, receipt and all, so if need be I fully intend to pester Microsoft for a Steam key should it show up on the store.

JaseC

Here's my little "What's going on with the GFWL games?" list:

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City (the GOTY flavours) have had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- GFWL is reportedly being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

Grief.exe

Hopefully! I still have my retail copy, receipt and all, so if need be I fully intend to pester Microsoft for a Steam key should it show up on the store.

I wonder how the multiplayer would work with mouse aim. It can really change the dynamic of what was found on console.

Last SteamDB update was 12 days ago, no specific news about GFWL or the beta version that showed up, however.

Probably a generic Valve update that was pushed to all applications.

kitch9

Banned
Typical Microsoft.

They abandon fucking ship because of "reasons" and don't give a fuck people can't play the games they have paid for until someone else sorts out their shit.

Fucking scumbag company.

JaseC

It annoys me that Dirt 2 is being put to pasture. GFWL infection is giving me dead games in my Steam library.

New apps for Dirt 2 and Fuel recently appeared in the registry. This coupled with the fact that both games have also been in recent bundles suggests to me that Codemasters removing GFWL from them, too, is a distinct possibility.

Asgaro

In what sense is Bulletstorm broken? You can't even play the singleplayer anymore?
I thought only the GFWL store closed so far and the trully crucial components would only stop next year?

(Bulletstorm is still on my Steam wishlist)

Grief.exe

In what sense is Bulletstorm broken? You can't even play the singleplayer anymore?
I thought only the GFWL store closed so far and the trully crucial components would only stop next year?

(Bulletstorm is still on my Steam wishlist)

There are many GFWL errors that cause games to not run at all.

If he is running Windows 8, for example, there is a workaround to the GFWL install in order to get the game to run.

Top Bottom