• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

Parsnip

It's not, it's a weird rumor that has been kept around for way too long because of a wikipedia page, but it really does not use it despite the multiple references: https://twitter.com/jasondoig/status/367528002910822400

Indeed. I hope people stop adding it to the wikipedia articles at some point.
Should almost do the opposite and add a "despite multitude of rumors, neither Demon's or Dark Souls are PhyreEngine games" and the tweet as a citation.

Shizuka

It was removed/hidden from Steamspy. Probably at Front Wing's request since all of Sekai Project's other games are still on there.

Oh, I didn't know there were games removed or hidden from the database by the publisher's requests. It's a shame, since that I was looking forward to checking the sales for that one and its sequels.

Knurek

Games released between 29.06 and 05.07.2015 with more than 10,000 sales:

The Sandbox ($9.99) - 63% positive out of 311 reviews: 15,529 ± 2,852

Infinifactory ($24.99) - 99% positive out of 385 reviews: 19,377 ± 3,186 (game left Early Access on that week)

Rise of Incarnates (F2P) - 59% positive out of 1960 reviews: 1,328,220 ± 26,312 (game left Early Access on that week)

The Battle of Sol ($14.99) - 72% positive out of 37 reviews: 16,491 ± 2,939 (game left Early Access on that week)

Anno Online (F2P) - 40% positive out of 259 reviews: 47,137 ± 4,969

Dungeon Souls ($9.99) - 96% positive out of 267 reviews: 10,307 ± 2,324 (Early Access release)

Legends of Eisenwald ($29.99) - 75% positive out of 428 reviews: 38,204 ± 4,474 (game left Early Access on that week)

How To Survive Third Person ($9.99) - 63% positive out of 536 reviews: 45,488 ± 4,882

NotGTAV ($2.99) - 90% positive out of 2053 reviews: 63,353 ± 5,761

Subspace Continuum (F2P) - 90% positive out of 241 reviews: 18,003 ± 3,071

Denton

How the hell does Witcher 3 sell only 85,000 copies on Steam in the last month, when it is constantly in the TOP 10 ?

And how the hell does it drop in owners by 15,000 since two weeks ago ?

The top 10 is based on revenue, not total sales, so an expensive game could sell fewer copies than a cheaper one and still appear higher in the chart.

Also, the figures given are estimations and have margins of error, hence the drop.

misho8723

Banned
I'm so disappointed how little did Witcher 3 sold so far on Steam.. yeah, I know that many games bought the game on GoG or the retail version (because of great boxed versions), but still - in almost 2 months only around 700 000 people bought the game on Steam? A series that started as a PC exclusive, with W3 be one of the major releases of this year and a type game almost as "Skyrim", a game which did receive great reviews from both critics and people alike, etc..
Well, TW2 sold 900 000 in 3 months with Steam+GoG+retail combined so TW3 still sold really good on PC (more than 1,3 mil. copies of the PC version in two weeks), but you can clearly see why it's so important for game companies to release their games on more than one platform and the PC isn't the most important one (in most cases).. and add to that the fact, that not one previous title from the Witcher series was released on PS platform, but now W3 sold the most copies on PS4

I was hoping that PC players are going to show in this situation that a game doesn't need to go multiplatform to sale good, but again, the console sales take the biggest part in this one.. I have nothing against consoles of multiplat releases, but before the release of the game I have seen many people complaining about CD Projekt RED going this way and asking why they didn't stick just to PC - well, there is your answer..

Anno

I'm so disappointed how little did Witcher 3 sold so far on Steam.. yeah, I know that many games bought the game on GoG or the retail version (because of great boxed versions), but still - in almost 2 months only around 700 000 people bought the game on Steam? A series that started as a PC exclusive, with W3 be one of the major releases of this year and a type game almost as "Skyrim", a game which did receive great reviews from both critics and people alike, etc..
Well, TW2 sold 900 000 in 3 months with Steam+GoG+retail combined so TW3 still sold really good on PC (more than 1,3 mil. copies of the PC version in two weeks), but you can clearly see why it's so important for game companies to release their games on more than one platform and the PC isn't the most important one (in most cases).. and add to that the fact, that not one previous title from the Witcher series was released on PS platform, but now W3 sold the most copies on PS4

I was hoping that PC players are going to show in this situation that a game doesn't need to go multiplatform to sale good, but again, the console sales take the biggest part in this one.. I have nothing against consoles of multiplat releases, but before the release of the game I have seen many people complaining about CD Projekt RED going this way and asking why they didn't stick just to PC - well, there is your answer..

Eh, CDPR would've been silly not too release on consoles given how well the game can work there. Gamers of all stripes should be in favor of as much platform variety as possible for every game. It sucks that some games are artificially restricted to a certain box.

PC is more important than at basically any point in recent history and will probably only become more so. I don't think we need to worry.

Shengar

I just realized that it seems a lot of game somehow lose the US as one of their biggest share of player, if not biggest, and have their player distribution located elsewhere. How could this be possible? Does any change to program makes this possible? Or is it just Summer Sale thing?

Interfectum

I'm so disappointed how little did Witcher 3 sold so far on Steam.. yeah, I know that many games bought the game on GoG or the retail version (because of great boxed versions), but still - in almost 2 months only around 700 000 people bought the game on Steam?

PC games have a longer tail than console games. As DLC and modding tools come out and as the game gets marked down in price you'll see that number continue to rise on Steam while console sales remain stagnant or non-existent.

SparkTR

The PC version of TW3 sold around 1/3 of its total units on PC during its launch window and that number will continue to grow in its favor for the rest of the generation. Similar with Dark Souls series where the PC versions accounted for 40% of sales. If you told anybody those statistics five or so years ago they would have told you that you were insane.

How the hell does Witcher 3 sell only 85,000 copies on Steam in the last month, when it is constantly in the TOP 10 ?

And how the hell does it drop in owners by 15,000 since two weeks ago ?

Well, it's already out of the top 10. And you really don't need to sell a ton to get inside the top 10 of Steam, except in "high season" when several high profile games are released at the same time.

Well, it's already out of the top 10. And you really don't need to sell a ton to get inside the top 10 of Steam, except in "high season" when several high profile games are released at the same time.

It's just outside of the top 10, which is actually good longevity considering not many $60 games other than GTA stick around that long.

I'm so disappointed how little did Witcher 3 sold so far on Steam.

I don't understand your argument at all. The audience for action-RPGs is spread out across all platforms and the PC version sold a hell of a lot of copies. The exact same argument can be made in favor of the PC for the Dark Souls series, a formerly console-only affair.

kswiston

Green Man Gaming has had several $29.99 sales for the GOG.com version of The Witcher 3 in the last month. Unless you are one of those people obsessed with having absolutely everything on Steam, I don't know why anyone would opt for the much more expensive Steam version.

Also, AAA PC games have big up front sales, then slow sales until they start getting significant discounts. Most people who weren't willing to pre-order the title at 10% off aren't going to jump on 15-20% off sales. Wait until we start seeing 30-50% off on Steam this fall/winter.

Anarkin

This is only sold through Steam for pretty much 60$. The retail copy comes with a Galaxy code and you can't buy the game for Steam outside of Steam. Also I would guess they made the most money with the PC Version and that's what matters the most in the end.

Denton

GTA 5 is similar case in that only Steam has the steam version, all other versions go through rockstar social club.
And GTA 5 sold in two months 2.5 million copies on steam (and unknown number elsewhere) while Witcher 3 sold only 700K in two months on steam (and also unknown number elsewhere).

I know GTA is insane brand, way bigger than any other brand in gaming, but god dammit Witcher 3 is a better game and I want to see it closer to GTA sales numbers :)

GTA 5 is similar case in that only Steam has the steam version, all other versions go through rockstar social club.
And GTA 5 sold in two months 2.5 million copies on steam (and unknown number elsewhere) while Witcher 3 sold only 700K in two months on steam (and also unknown number elsewhere).

I know GTA is insane brand, way bigger than any other brand in gaming, but god dammit Witcher 3 is a better game and I want to see it closer to GTA sales numbers :)

GTAV has sold over 52 million copies and is one of the best selling games of all time. The Witcher is never going to be in that league.

I'm so disappointed how little did Witcher 3 sold so far on Steam..

I have Witcher 1 + 2 on Steam, but 3 on GOG. Between the NVidia giveaways and some of the promotions they've done I'm confident the GOG number is far higher a percentage of total sales than for typical games.

Durante

I have Witcher 1 + 2 on Steam, but 3 on GOG. Between the NVidia giveaways and some of the promotions they've done I'm confident the GOG number is far higher a percentage of total sales than for typical games.
You don't need to guess, we know that there were already >690k players on GOG over a month ago, straight from CDP.

So even if they didn't sell any more than that since (which seems unlikely), that's ~50% of the total PC numbers, which is probably a 10x higher share than normal for GOG.

Knurek

Games released between 06.07 and 12.07.2015 with more than 10,000 sales:

oO ($0.99) - 96% positive out of 162 reviews: 13,471 ± 2,507

Once Bitten, Twice Dead! ($4.99) - 26% positive out of 45 reviews: 10,287 ± 2,190 (game left Early Access on that week)

Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm ($14.99) - 74% positive out of 159 reviews: 10,777 ±2,242

Rocket League ($19.99) - 95% positive out of 4,704 reviews: 260,242 ±11,014

Coffin Dodgers ($10.99) - 87% positive out of 176 reviews: 15,921 ±2,725 (game left Early Access on that week)

Battle for Blood - Epic battles within 30 seconds! (F2P) - 63% positive out of 310 reviews: 46,415 ±4,653

F1 2015 ($54.99) - 34% positive out of 945 reviews: 25,596 ±3,455

Epic Cards Battle(TCG) (F2P) - 42% positive out of 310 reviews: 25,718 ±3,464

The Red Solstice ($24.99) - 85% positive out of 608 reviews: 48,007 ±4,732 (game left Early Access on that week)

Trove (F2P) - 74% positive out of 10,680 reviews: 1,210,953 ±23,712

Especially considering that it's relatively expensive. Quite surprising - and super cool - to see that it's selling so well.

Yeah, it's always tough for multiplayer games because if they don't gather a decently sized community they're screwed. I guess that shows that the devs really believed in their game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Streamers on Twitch have been pushing that game a lot. It sold well, but after the amount of attention it got I am kind of surprised it only sold that.

Given that it's free for the month on PS4, I figured it wouldn't sell for shit on PC.

Parsnip

I find that a little depressing to be honest. But oh well.
In my mind $30 would have been high for what it is, $20 is pretty much spot on and $10 or $15 would have been an absolute steal.

Nabs

Rocket League is doing some nasty stuff on the charts (294,737 ± 11,811 right now). I can't wait to see future weekend deals, and that future Free Weekend that will hook people like a drug. I'm so happy we'll have SteamSpy to help us follow all of this.

I do hope their PS+ deal was worth it. If they're pulling in 300,000+ on Steam at full price, what the hell would they have done on PS4?

wrowa

You mean content-wise and not because it is "indie". Quantic Dream is an indie studio, so is Bungie as well as Insomniac. They just happen to have games funded by their respective publishers.

"Indie game" is a common short-hand and everyone knows what it is referring to, so please don't lecture me about things I'm perfectly aware of.

Unicorn

Rocket League is doing some nasty stuff on the charts (294,737 ± 11,811 right now). I can't wait to see future weekend deals, and that future Free Weekend that will hook people like a drug. I'm so happy we'll have SteamSpy to help us follow all of this.

I do hope their PS+ deal was worth it. If they're pulling in 300,000+ on Steam at full price, what the hell would they have done on PS4?
It honestly got the word out though. Without PS+ I doubt the sales for steam would be this high.

RulkezX

Do people saying it's too expensive only buy games during Steam sales ?

$19.99/£14.99 is pretty cheap in a world where console ports direct from Steam are the same price as retail console games and games like Anno 2022 are £49.99

$19.99/£14.99 is pretty cheap in a world where console ports direct from Steam are the same price as retail console games and games like Anno 2022 are £49.99

20 dollars is the high range of price for indie/downloadable titles.

Nabs

It honestly got the word out though. Without PS+ I doubt the sales for steam would be this high.

Yeah, I'm sure PS+ hype helped overall, but I can't help but wonder what would happen without.

It's expensive to some people, especially when it's free on another platform. It's a game that shines with friends, and convincing 2-3 others to buy into a 20 dollar multiplayer game that they've never played can be tough. I know some people waiting on a sale or 4-pack just because they don't want to play with randoms only.

You also have to realize that PC didn't get a lot of alpha/beta love this year, and we also never had SARPBC either. There is a bit of risk involved here when you've never tried the game out.

Top Bottom