• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy Sales Results for August 2015

Grandia II sold really poorly.

$270k gross after 1 week for a port of a 15-year old game sounds decent to me. Since it's not a new game, I wouldn't be surprised if it's less front-loaded than most game release as people wait for patches, cool mods, or a sale before wanting to replay the game (if they've already played a previous version).

Knurek

Changed the discount info for the list - now it uses ITAD, so should include most of stores, shows lowest price recorded during the month instead of a the discount percentage.

kswiston

Metal Gear Solid 5 is going to come in pretty high next month. Concurrent users are sitting at close to 65k already.

Good point. It will probably reach 10 million just on Steam eventually.

Pretty wild.

Skyrim will probably hit 10M by the end of the year if it is already at 9.4M. Steamspy says that ownership is up 275k in the past two months.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing $15 at launch with a launch discount plus sending additional discount coupons to everyone who owns our previous game, Cthulhu Saves the World. Letting over half a million people who presumably like our style of games know "Hey, our new game is out and here's an extra discount for you" seems like a very strong marketing move.

Durante

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing $15 at launch with a launch discount plus sending additional discount coupons to everyone who owns our previous game, Cthulhu Saves the World. Letting over half a million people who presumably like our style of games know "Hey, our new game is out and here's an extra discount for you" seems like a very strong marketing move.
It's genius. Send Knurek some cookies or something if you end up doing it.

Why is it hidden?

The nature of SS's data collection and polling method means it takes a few days to get accurate results.

Edit: nvm I misunderstood, it looks like developers requesting sales data be kept secret is a thing. That kinda sucks. What does it really matter?

kswiston

I can maybe see it for some of the indies, but I don't see the point of honoring requests from big pubs to hide data that is publicly available.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can maybe see it for some of the indies, but I don't see the point of honoring requests from big pubs to hide data that is publicly available.

It's pretty gross really. Most publishing agreements have royalty bonuses when certain sales thresholds are met. By obfuscating the sales data they can try and cheat developers out of their royalties.

I'm all for hiding a developers game when they request it, but publishers can go fuck themselves.

SURGEdude

I'm consistently amazed at how Skyrim still sells so much. You would think we would reach saturation eventually.

Good point. It will probably reach 10 million just on Steam eventually.

Pretty wild.

I think a big part of it is the expanded audience that comes with the game progressively being able to run on more and more cheap consumer PCs and notebooks thereby allowing lots of people who heard about it from word of mouth to finally play it on their rinky dinky PC. Couple that with discount prices and you have a pretty compelling product that seems like an easy recommendation to anybody with a newish PC and enough interest to invest a paltry sum to figure out what all the fuss is about.

I'd imagine non-hardcore gamers would be fine using one of the better integrated chipsets to get reasonable performance that meets the expectations of that group of gamers, many of whom I'd imagine never even take a look at the settings so as long as it runs fine at the default they'll be satisfied.

SURGEdude

It's pretty gross really. Most publishing agreements have royalty bonuses when certain sales thresholds are met. By obfuscating the sales data they can try and cheat developers out of their royalties.

I'm all for hiding a developers game when they request it, but publishers can go fuck themselves.

Yeah that doesn't sit right with me either. I know why the publishers would ask but I don't see why the site would comply. It's not like they are doing anything shady from what I can tell.

It does when Steamspy exists because of the goodwill of Valve and you want to avoid having a bunch of publishers lean on Valve to close off access.

Can someone give me some analysis of how good these figures are?

Sub 60 million overall sales is huge, but I'm always wondering how beneficial it is for many devs/pubs.
I find the sales for new releases this month very low.

Can we compare this with console games or is it totally different?

MUnited83

For you.
Actually, MGSV and Mad Max don't seem to be hidden. It just seems the data hasn't been collected yet.

I visited each game steamspy page and they show up fine (just no owner data)

Meanwhile games that have really been hidden have warning saying the developer asked for the results to be hidden and basically every information of the title dissapears.

Comparison

Nekopara Vol 1

dbbn9QJ.png

MGSV TPP

xoGZiqq.png

Sub 60 million overall sales is huge, but I'm always wondering how beneficial it is for many devs/pubs.

Console sales charts are usually dominated by huge AAA games. Not really anything on the same scale was released on Steam in Aug, so it's all indies, late ports, and heavily discounted games.

I think this has been the first time I've bought a title that would be on those lists (RL).

Also, lotta Japanese titles. My heart bursts with pride.

Gbraga

Why would the Nekopara dudes want to hide the sales? Does that usually mean it did well or poorly?

About discounts to owners of your previous games, that is indeed a great move. Every time I receive a coupon for owning something else from the devs, I end up considering the purchase. Of course I don't always buy the game, but seriously considering buying something I didn't even know about before seems like decent marketing to me.

Nabs

This sounds like the perfect plan. I'm ready to throw down $10.

Shin-chan

One big difference here is that these are essentially global sales (correct me if I'm wrong) where we never get any global numbers for console sales unless the publisher gives us a sell in number, which is sporadic.

kswiston

It does when Steamspy exists because of the goodwill of Valve and you want to avoid having a bunch of publishers lean on Valve to close off access.

From what I understand, there's no real way for Valve to close off access. If they shut down Steam API, it would make things more difficult, but you could probably get quite accurate estimates by writing software that combed through public profile pages.

From what I understand, there's no real way for Valve to close off access. If they shut down Steam API, it would make things more difficult, but you could probably get quite accurate estimates by writing software that combed through public profile pages.

The person running Steamspy says otherwise.

Coldsun

Banned

It'd also be really easy to ban ip addresses that query too many pages. Valve could totally shut out SteamSpy if they wanted to. It's obvious that it would generate an incredible amount of badwill though.

Durante

It'd also be really easy to ban ip addresses that query too many pages. Valve could totally shut out SteamSpy if they wanted to. It's obvious that it would generate an incredible amount of badwill though.
Thinking about this some more, what we need is distributed SteamSpy. Spy@Home if you will.

MGSV day 1 debut was 200k on STEAM.
Note that SteamSpy averages owners over 3 days, so that's not really accurate.

kswiston

MGSV day 1 debut was 200k on STEAM.

The result says that the 200k was for Aug 31st. Didn't the game come out today? Did it have a staggered release based on time zone?

Either way, a 68k peak concurrent user count makes me thing that sales are already well past 200k. We will see tomorrow and the day after.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Thinking about this some more, what we need is distributed SteamSpy. Spy@Home if you will.

Note that SteamSpy averages owners over 3 days, so that's not really accurate.

Got it. Why does it take so long to update out of curiosity. I would have thought it'd be easy to see how many total owners there are?

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
I don't have any data for Mad Max yet, but it's not hidden.

It happened before with Mortal Kombat X. It took a week before it appeared in my stats.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't have any data for Mad Max yet, but it's not hidden.

It happened before with Mortal Kombat X. It took a week before it appeared in my stats.

Question, what time does the website usually update with new data?

Also thanks again for all the work you've put in.

Top Bottom