• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy Sales Results for August 2015

Knurek

Overall:

Total copies sold: 59,949,108
Average price: $10.77
Average discount: 14.03%

Steam ownership changes between 01.08.2015 and 01.09.2015:

Code:
 1.) Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (867,471, LTD: 15,920,443, price $14.99, lowest price $7.49)
 2.) Rocket League (577,677, LTD: 1,157,139, price $19.99, lowest price $17.99)
 3.) Garry's Mod (325,638, LTD: 9,601,519, price $9.99, lowest price $2.49)
 4.) Left 4 Dead 2 (300,937, LTD: 12,842,893, price $19.99, lowest price $4.99)
 5.) Race The Sun (227,860, LTD: 786,408, price $9.99, lowest price $5.99)
 6.) Sid Meier's Civilization V (209,231, LTD: 7,839,348, price $29.99, lowest price $7.49)
 7.) H1Z1 (200,028, LTD: 1,652,600, price $19.99, lowest price $13.39)
 8.) Borderlands 2 (163,603, LTD: 5,467,358, price $19.99, lowest price $4.00)
 9.) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (152,022, LTD: 9,415,888, price $19.99, lowest price $6.00)
10.) Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (140,868, LTD: 3,742,419, price $19.99, lowest price $19.18)
11.) Counter-Strike (140,654, LTD: 11,647,723, price $9.99, lowest price $9.99)
12.) Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (135,499, LTD: 2,094,606, price $19.99, lowest price $4.99)
13.) Terraria (128,794, LTD: 6,490,992, price $9.99, lowest price $2.49)
14.) BioShock Infinite (127,265, LTD: 3,747,472, price $29.99, lowest price $7.49)
15.) BioShock 2 (124,869, LTD: 2,552,568, price $19.99, lowest price $3.99)

Excluded titles: H-Hour: World's Elite (free weekend), Stealth Inc 2 (free for three days on Humble Bundle)

Steam ownership changes between 01.08.2015 and 01.09.2015 for games released in August:

Code:
 1.) Planetary Annihilation: TITANS (74,731, price $39.99, max discount 0%)
 2.) FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0™ HD (62,763, price $29.99, max discount 10%)
 3.) Empyrion - Galactic Survival (52,128, price $17.99, max discount 10%)
 4.) Shadowrun: Hong Kong (49,163, price $19.99, max discount 33%)
 5.) Hacknet (44,147, price $9.99, max discount 20%)
 6.) Fairy Fencer F (35,637, price $29.99, max discount 50%)
 7.) Fingered (29,520, price $1.87, max discount 0%)
 8.) ONE PIECE PIRATE WARRIORS 3 (29,080, price $49.99, was erroneously discounted to $0.69)
 9.) ZOMBI (27,392, price $19.99, max discount 0%)
10.) Sheltered (25,531, price $14.99, max discount 0%)
11.) NEKOPARA Vol. 0 (25,265, price $2.99, max discount 0%)
12.) Big Pharma (24,201, price $24.99, max discount 20%)
13.) Kult: Heretic Kingdoms (21,275, price $5.99, max discount 20%)
14.) Mega Man Legacy Collection (19,680, price $14.99, max discount 0%)
15.) Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (18,084, price $19.99, max discount 25%)

Excluded titles: Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered (free for owners of Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey), Adam's Venture Chronicles (replaces three separate Adam's Venture games), Burstfire (was given out for free)

Let me know if you spot any errors. I'm aware Dark Souls was in a Humble Bundle this month, but given that it was in the $10 tier, I think it should be included.

As always, much love to Galyonkin for making SteamSpy.

Previous thread with data from April to July.

Tenebrous

Wasn't Race the Sun free at one point? No way I can see it doing 227k units with just a 40% discount otherwise.

135k copies of Dark Souls is hella impressive.

Teggy

People sure held their ground waiting for Bioshock sales.

EDIT: By the way, a whole lot of people got Rocket League for free.

Nyoro SF

Dark Souls 1 increased by 135k with no discount all by itself? Sweet lord jesus

And I'm surprised at the Fairy Fencer results... though I guess I shouldn't be?

Fairy Fencer F's situation is interesting. 1 year old port of a low budget, low profile PS3 JRPG that got mediocre reviews; they release it for $15 as a special launch price and it actually sells pretty well. Wouldn't be surprised if it made more in one month than the US PS3 release has made to date.

MUnited83

For you.
People sure held their ground waiting for Bioshock sales.

EDIT: By the way, a whole lot of people got Rocket League for free.

They reached 1 million sales before that promo, and they are now at 1,158,420. I doubt the copies from Steam Hardware preorders are more than 75k

ZhugeEX

Banned
Excellent thread.

Would it be cool if we can have August sales and LTD numbers next to it.

That'd be good to see.

Arthea

What I find amazing that Titans sold this good, wasn't expecting that at all.

Although I would like to be aggrieved about Fairy Fencer (it is a fun game, reviews did no justice to it) and especially Grandia selling so low, I'm kinda shocked at low FF0 numbers, granted, it got horrible backslash and reviews on steam, but most of that was totally uncalled for, still it seems that affected sales, which I said will be bad if things go this way.
I'm pretty sure SE won't be happy about this.

also I want to point out that Burstfire sale numbers mean nothing as this game was given for free.

edited: oh yeah, almost forgot, Hacknet numbers are surprising too.

Gbraga

Dark Souls still lookin good. I hope people are still just as interested in the franchise when III comes out.

Durante

Dark Souls is steadily moving towards having 50% of the total franchise sales on PC. Not bad for an initially very barebones and very late port!

And I'm surprised at the Fairy Fencer results... though I guess I shouldn't be?
Positively or negatively? Fairy Fencer is a good port.

gdt

Dark Souls is steadily moving towards having 50% of the total franchise sales on PC. Not bad for an initially very barebones and very late port!

How amazing is that. Soooo many naysayers claiming a PC port wouldn't be worth it at the time.

Tenebrous

What the... Including Demon's Souls? 3 games on PS3, 2 on Xbox 360, and one each on PS4/X1 is just about beating out the PC for 2 games?

Knurek

It just broke 2M owners on PC.

Anyways, added LTD sale data and a link to the previous thread.
Removed Burstfire as per Arthea's comment.
Added discount for Grandia 2 as per Robert's comment.

Durante

What the... Including Demon's Souls? 3 games on PS3, 2 on Xbox 360, and one each on PS4/X1 is just about beating out the PC for 2 games?
The "franchise" as in the Namco-published Dark Souls franchise (DS, DS2, SotFS). It's sitting at a total of ~3.4 million on PC.

Nyoro SF

Positively. I was worried since the news about Steam's median sales for games dropping that the general spread of games would hurt sales of games like these, but it appears to be doing just fine.

Tenebrous

The "franchise" as in the Namco-published Dark Souls franchise (DS, DS2, SotFS). It's sitting at a total of ~3.4 million on PC.

Sorry. The whole "Souls" thing as a series/franchise often gets damn confusing. But still, PC (almost) matching DS1&2 PS3/PS4/X360/X1 sales combined is awesome. 3.4 million... Yeah, a good call for them to port it.

Positively. I was worried since the news about Steam's median sales for games dropping that the general spread of games would hurt sales of games like these, but it appears to be doing just fine.

I think the $15 launch price really paid off for them and then people hearing that it was a quality port sealed the deal.

Grandia 2 didn't do quite as well, but it's only been out for about a week and it launched with some noticeable bugs (which they're squashing at a decent pace so kudos for that).

As an aside, seeing Fairy Fencer F do well and Grandia 2 do decently at $15 makes me think we should release Cosmic Star Heroine at $9.99. Yeah, our game is new and those games are ports, but our game's obviously lower budget than those games and I think an under $10 price tag would give us the edge we need to do really well.

Knurek

Shouldn't Shadowrun Hong Kong be on there somewhere? Or do code validations not count as sales?

Well, that's a special case, good call.
While the game released in August and managed decent 49,163 sales, it had a long preorder phase with 24,504 sales before August.
Doesn't place in the first chart, I didn't thought to add it in the second since it didn't had 0 sales at start of August.

Amended the new releases chart, let me know if there are other games you notice missing.

Arthea

I think the $15 launch price really paid off for them and then people hearing that it was a quality port sealed the deal.

Grandia 2 didn't do quite as well, but it's only been out for about a week and it launched with some noticeable bugs (which they're squashing at a decent pace so kudos for that).

As an aside, seeing Fairy Fencer F do well and Grandia 2 do decently at $15 makes me think we should release Cosmic Star Heroine at $9.99. Yeah, our game is new and those games are ports, but our game's obviously lower budget than those games and I think an under $10 price tag would give us the edge we need to do really well.

I'd welcome that, I plan to buy your Heroine (having female lead is genius, you know that, don't you? *nepnep.gif*), but this price would make it even easier to buy it day one, especially now when indie games are rising in price so drastically.

Whatever you decide, you really need steam achievements and cards day one, trust me on this, it'll help sales in a long run from day one.

edited: I just realized that top means that Amnesia didn't even break 10K... a pity, went to check it's at 3K with reasonable price like that, ouch! I'll never will fathom why would people choose Nekopara over Amnesia.

Durante

First of all, thanks for putting me into the unique position of arguing with a game developer that they should increase the price of their game. That's fun :p

I really think you should go for $15 at least, perhaps with a 33% launch discount. By pricing it at $10 initially you reduce your opportunities for earlier discounts, and make your pricing at later sales down the line seem less impressive. Also, a low price is not a guarantee for success: Elminage Gothic launched at $10 (which I considered then and still consider under-priced, especially for a game which hits its hardcore dungeon crawler audience so well) and couldn't really move many copies despite that. As another point of comparison, Celestian Tales: Old North did pretty well at $10, but that's "just" a ~10 hour "part one" of a three part saga.

Anyway, my point is that I strongly believe there's a sizeable audience out there which will buy your game at $15 at the very least (if it delivers in quality, obviously), and I'm not sure that the marginally increased exposure by going below that in initial price will make up for the missing profit (and reduced apparent attractiveness of sales at the same price points) in the long run.

Arthea

gotta say Durante has a point, $15 price with 33% day one discount would make it as appealing (if not more) as $10 price with no discount, that's how people tick

Decado

Definitely launch at $15 min. 10% launch discount or something to get on the sale tab.

$10 is only for very low budget titles these days, it seems.

Most important is to get some launch window media coverage to generate hype.

All IMO, of course.

Knurek

gotta say Durante has a point, $15 price with 33% day one discount would make it as appealing (if not more) as $10 price with no discount, that's how people tick

Better yet, $15 price with a +7.5% cumulative discount for owning each of your previous titles.
Will amount to the same thing, but will benefit people who bought
bundles with
your games.

There's something to be said for $15 with 33% launch discount, although I dislike the idea of only being able to really sell during discount periods. CSTW has been a steady seller for us for years and I think a big part of that is how cheap it is. And at $10, we're still making a lot more individually per copy sold than any of our previous games (which were $3 & $5 and which we had to split some of the revenue outside of Zeboyd).

Durante

Better yet, $15 price with a +7.5% cumulative discount for owning each of your previous titles.
Will amount to the same thing, but will benefit people who bought
bundles with
your games.
That's amazing. Easy to sell PR-wise as a loyalty discount, but also makes use of the audience accumulated through bundles (which might at least partially be indifferent otherwise). Genius!

Arthea

There's something to be said for $15 with 33% launch discount, although I dislike the idea of only being able to really sell during discount periods. CSTW has been a steady seller for us for years and I think a big part of that is how cheap it is. And at $10, we're still making a lot more individually per copy sold than any of our previous games (which were $3 & $5 and which we had to split some of the revenue outside of Zeboyd).

As we are talking CSH, I'll use this opportunity to ask you something, from the day one I've seen your Heroine, Phantasy Star alert switched on in my brain, it's still on, but you don't seem to say you were inspired by PS, so was PS an inspiration or not?

As we are talking CSH, I'll use this opportunity to ask you something, from the day one I've seen your Heroine, Phantasy Star alert switched on in my brain, it's still on, but you don't seem to say you were inspired by PS, so was PS an inspiration or not?

Actually, we've mentioned Phantasy Star several times when talking about the game. The name was literally created by combining Cosmic Fantasy + Phantasy Star + Heroine. And for my own amusement, the final boss song is titled Dark Force.

Anyway, the idea of charging $15 but doing a 25% launch discount and maybe a 10% off coupon if you already own CSTW is an interesting one. Will have to think about it & discuss with Bill.

Fairy Fencer F's situation is interesting. 1 year old port of a low budget, low profile PS3 JRPG that got mediocre reviews; they release it for $15 as a special launch price and it actually sells pretty well. Wouldn't be surprised if it made more in one month than the US PS3 release has made to date.

well the game is still 50$, FIFTY USD, in the PSN. lol

Arthea

Actually, we've mentioned Phantasy Star several times when talking about the game. The name was literally created by combining Cosmic Fantasy + Phantasy Star + Heroine. And for my own amusement, the final boss song is titled Dark Force.

Anyway, the idea of charging $15 but doing a 25% launch discount and maybe a 10% off if you already own CSTW is an interesting one. Will have to think about it & discuss with Bill.

I somehow missed that, thanks and good luck with the game

Top Bottom