• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamspy Sales Results for Q1 2016.

Maybe if Street Fighter V had a real story/arcade mode and Hitman didn't have major performance and always-online-related problems, they would have sold better. They got what they deserved as far as I'm concerned. I know SFV would be in my library if it had the singleplayer content I look for in a fighting game.

Hitman have performance problems? Game looks beautiful to me and it runs at 60fps.

It isn't "at the end". It's a second start. Lots of people may be interested in the game but prefer to have the full package.

I also do with Telltale games, following your example.

I was asking how Telltale markets their game. I don't play their games but their models are similar. The difference being is that Telltale games usually have a built in market and decent word of mouth. You pretty much know what you are going to get by now unless this is your first Telltale game.

Has Hitman had good word of mouth? I saw one twitch player play it and didn't look like a good game + performance issues that someone mentioned here. So I don't see this game having significant numbers at the end of it all.

Does anyone have sales break down to similar games? Are most of the sales at the end or in the 1st 2 episodes? I imagine for a game with good word of mouth it will be at the end.

Stardews's success is feel good all around: Good game, good support from the dev, independent development, etc. Hope it inspires more successes like it.

Shantom

Does anyone have sales break down to similar games. Are most of the sales at the end or in the 1st 2 episodes? I imagine for a game with good word of mouth it will be at the end.

It's very difficult to put a number on this sort of thing because so many of these games give out their first episode for free or super cheap once the game is finished.

MUnited83

For you.
I was asking how Telltale markets their game. I don't play their games but their models are similar. The difference being is that Telltale games usually have a built in market and decent word of mouth. You pretty much know what you are going to get by now unless this is your first Telltale game.

Has Hitman had good word of mouth? I saw one twitch player play it and didn't look like a good game + performance issues that someone mentioned here. So I don't see this game having significant numbers at the end of it all.

Does anyone have sales break down to similar games. Are most of the sales at the end or in the 1st 2 episodes? I imagine for a game with good word of mouth it will be at the end.
Its definitely a good game. In fact, its the best Hitman game yet.

Lots of good games doing well there though.

Not sure I think the Hitman number is that decent but it'll go up as they add more content... SFV isnt that good. FCP not that great either? Im sure that did well on console.

Nice to see Stardew Valley, Firewatch and Tomb Raider do well

rdytoroll

Wow, those Stardew Valley sales. I'm really interested in this game because I need something relaxing, but are there any time limits in this game that put pressure on the player? Like: harvest 100 of this material until the next day? I really wanna go at my own pace

Krakn3Dfx

Stardew Valley making the rounds, well deserved, such a great game. I'm around 44 hours in and feel like I've barely touched the surface, not even into Spring of the 2nd year yet.

PatzCU

Wow, those Stardew Valley sales. I'm really interested in this game because I need something relaxing, but are there any time limits in this game that put pressure on the player? Like: harvest 100 of this material until the next day? I really wanna go at my own pace

No pressure except that the seasons change from time to time. Definitely a relaxing game and worth a shot! I just love the SNES/Genesis era ambience and music.

rdytoroll

No pressure except that the seasons change from time to time. Definitely a relaxing game and worth a shot! I just love the SNES/Genesis era ambience and music.

Great to hear, just bought it! Gotta support the little guys in the business

Tomb Raider the big surprise for me, I played the xbox one version at launch and praised it endlessly as did pretty much every other person who tried it but there really wasn't much other marketing for the PC version, right?

Both that and stardew just go to show that in this day and age word of mouth seems to be the best way to get consistent sales.

I even wonder if the PC version has outsold the xbox one version at this point? Probably not, but its gotta be pretty close.

Tomb Raider the big surprise for me, I played the xbox one version at launch and praised it endlessly as did pretty much every other person who tried it but there really wasn't much other marketing for the PC version, right?

Both that and stardew just go to show that in this day and age word of mouth seems to be the best way to get consistent sales.

I even wonder if the PC version has outsold the xbox one version at this point? Probably not, but its gotta be pretty close.

The Xbox versions were over a million at the beginning of January so not yet (unless theres a ton of unaccounted for copies).

PC players are pretty well informed, so probably don't need as much marketing, if you make a good PC version and its a good game especially in a franchise which has always done well on PC I think you will usually get rewarded well with that which I think happened here.

rdytoroll

Absolutely. Couple that with streamers and you get a much wider audience than before. Really exciting times right now for indie games especially.

Hitman have performance problems? Game looks beautiful to me and it runs at 60fps.

It did for me and a bunch of other people in the official thread, at least it did around the time it came out.

I got my money back on it and I won't be giving it another shot until the game is complete in 2017. Hopefully by then, the issues I had will have been fixed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Stardew Valley was developed by one person?? I'm amazed. Just now looked into it via YouTube and it's going on the Wishlist for the next time I get a Steam card.

Aselith

I really wanted to play The Culling but I purchased it recently and every time I launched it, it would just crash after the start screen, and I couldn't find a solution anywhere online so I had to refund it.

:(

With indie devi, just message them and they'll probably get back to you quickly

The Division numbers are fucking insane considering it's only Steam Store purchases at full price. Holy holy.

Yeah when you add in UPlay sales which are likely a significant chunk Division sold a ton of copies considering how short of a time it's been out. Over 1 million by quite a bit surely

ethomaz

Banned
Mortal Kombat X did 200k in 17 days in April 2015, SFV sold only 150k in nearly two months. It did really bad.
Ohhhh I guessed it was way bad.

That is fine... SFV will end selling more lifetime due more support time (I think we will have another MK this gen).

Rise of TR really didn't do that well, it will struggle to get a million and a lot of its sales in the future will be at a much reduced cost. On consoles that would be considered a bad showing for a AAA.

Devastated for The Witness, they will never make their money back and it's one of the best games ever. Total sales are probably no more than 300k. Unless an iPad version knocks it out of the park.

Durante

Devastated for The Witness, they will never make their money back
What?

The game's budget is $3-4 million. It sold ~100k copies just on Steam at a price of $40 (and before any discounts). That alone, self-published, is ~$2.8 million in the bank.

So unless sales on console are far less profitable, they already made their money back.

And that's before the game reached a price point many people are more comfortable paying for a puzzle game.

Mortal Kombat X did 200k in 17 days in April 2015, SFV sold only 150k in nearly two months. It did really bad.

Jeez...I'm starting to wonder if SF V might be a bigger bomb than SF III on DC and only higher than the first SF/Fighting Street at this point in its LTD. Shit...has it even outsold any of the home EX games at the same point in their lives?

Yep, The Witness will sell gangbusters with a sale. Also 650k for RotR is actually not a bad number considering the buzz around it and the lack of marketing from either parties.

Li Kao

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 / 三國志13 - (76,953 ±6,597)

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but the game is still not localized in English ? If so, while the numbers aren't anything to write home about, isn't it a good sign for Steam acceptance in China and Japan ?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 / 三國志13 - (76,953 ±6,597)

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but the game is still not localized in English ? If so, while the numbers aren't anything to write home about, isn't it a good sign for Steam acceptance in China and Japan ?

Yes it is only available in Japanese and Chinese, the sales are mostly Chinese, with more than 70% of owners from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Also Steam usage in China is at a all time high at the moment, Chinese users has rose to 6.5% of all Steam users.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What?

The game's budget is $3-4 million. It sold ~100k copies just on Steam at a price of $40 (and before any discounts). That alone, self-published, is ~$2.8 million in the bank.

So unless sales on console are far less profitable, they already made their money back.

And that's before the game reached a price point many people are more comfortable paying for a puzzle game.

Well, the game isn't USD$40 everywhere, but SteamSpy estimates that the US accounts for roughly 41% of total sales, with the UK and Canada coming in a distant second and third, respectively, with ~8.3% and ~6.5%, plus Blow did say that sales of the PS4 version were comparable to Steam; so, yeah, Blow and co. are quite likely in the black by now.

jrcbandit

What?

Exactly, the Witness did fine sales for a self published puzzle game at $40. I think the sales will do great once it hits a $20 on sale price point, many people simply won't pay over $20 for a puzzle game, no matter the production values.

As for Ubisoft games, I don't see first month or so Steam sales as a true measure of success or failure. PC gamers are all about discounted games and to get any discounts near release date, you have to get the Uplay version. Although that does mean the Division is a huge sales success because it got a ton of people to pay the full $60 on Steam. I won't buy Ubisoft games on Steam anymore because no new pc game is worth $60 to me, especially since it is so easy to get console versions at 20% off at BB/Amazon and similar discounts or better for pc versions at places like GMG, cdkeys, NeoGaf marketplace etc.

Durante

Well, the game isn't USD$40 everywhere, but SteamSpy estimates that the US accounts for roughly 41% of total sales, with the UK and Canada coming in a distant second and third, respectively, with ~8.3% and ~6.5%, plus Blow did say that sales of the PS4 version were comparable to Steam; so, yeah, Blow and co. are quite likely in the black by now.
And a large part of the remaining sales was across the EU, where the price is 37€, which is a bit over 40 USD.

Timeaisis

Hot damn Stardew Valley. I heard almost nothing about the game until it was released, and now it's exploded. Just goes to show what a well-executed game concept can do for you. Especially when the market is hungry for it.

MUnited83

For you.
Rise of TR really didn't do that well, it will struggle to get a million and a lot of its sales in the future will be at a much reduced cost. On consoles that would be considered a bad showing for a AAA.

Devastated for The Witness, they will never make their money back and it's one of the best games ever. Total sales are probably no more than 300k. Unless an iPad version knocks it out of the park.

? They are probably in the green already. The Witness did pretty well. And this before any significant sales.

XCOM 2 doing well considering its state isn't really a good thing. I paid full price and stopped playing because it performed so badly and that's with a 980.

Welfare

Stardew Valley is doing extremely well. Big success.

I have to get Xcom 2 sometime.

The Division is doing really well as well.

idlewild_

A lot of the sales it has right now are probably at a discounted price, I know I bought it for $18.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And a large part of the remaining sales was across the EU, where the price is 37€, which is a bit over 40 USD.

Yeah, that definitely helps with ironing out the revenue wrinkles notably cheaper regions engender.

impact

Banned
Hitman looks like a flop considering how cheap you could get it pre-launch even

I plan on getting a cheap copy once all the content is out.

XCOM 2 doing well considering its state isn't really a good thing. I paid full price and stopped playing because it performed so badly and that's with a 980.

Huh, I played the whole think on a 970 never had an issue. There was an odd glitch or two but whatever, played fine. Great game.

Top Bottom