• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig 2 Sold nearly 10 times more on the Switch than it did on Steam

Blam

@mods could you please add "10 times more on the Switch" to the title.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2964...ls-nearly-ten-times-as-much-on-switch-than-st

https://youtu.be/vaFtP7EDawM

According to Image & Form (16:27 mark), SteamWorld Dig 2 has been their most successful launch to date. The title has sold nearly 10 times the amount of units on Switch as it has on Steam. Now that's one hell of a big difference. Looks like the Switch team can't get enough of their steam-fueled, robotic, Minecraft-like, exploration-based platformers!

Steroyd

Swap Doom or something into the title and that's a real story. Does it really matter how much a little indie game sells to anyone?

It's interesteing bcause a) Indies have found a place on the Switch and b) Steam's curation problem can be identified as a real issue for said indies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
game was great but i only got it cause switch had no games.
would have never bought it on steam

EDarkness

That's a pretty amazing feat. Good for them. I do wonder why the sales are so lopsided. Maybe NS owners are just more interested in buying and trying out new games.

orborborb

The fanbase was on 3ds before so not surprising at all. I'd be curious in the numbers from a developer without much of a fanbase or much previous promotion tied to any platform to demonstrate the value of just being on the Switch storefront versus the Steam storefront this holiday, especially once they leave the "new releases" section for each.

Weevilone

I loved Steamworld Dig, but didn't even realize the sequel was out until a few days ago. I'm not sure that says anything about anything but me, but did the game not get any marketing at all, or was I asleep?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Steamworld Dig 2 Sold nearly 10 times more on the Switch than it did on Steam
Yeah, no shit. Steam is a GIANT garbage dump and it is almost impossible to find a game there that may interest you.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
That’s cool , hopefully this situation continues and some more third party devs decide to make games on switch.

Swass

Hasn't the game's marketing been heavily skewed toward the Switch? Also this is a top tier indie game on a system with a first year library compared to all other platforms. Seems like too many variables to call it a fair comparison.

I love the series and grabbed it on the PS4.. but if I had no idea about the series or wasn't paying close attention.. I would have missed its release. There wasn't even so much as a PSN store banner for the game. I think it released the same week as Hob and Ruiner which seen far more push.

Rathorial

Not too surprised by that, as that game got lost in the sea of other releases on PC in late September, and the Switch still has a small library with a fast growing install base hungry for stuff to play.

If I was an indie dev with a game idea that could work on the Switch, I'd strike while you can, because there are probably 1-2 good years where you'll get a good amount of visibility before it becomes saturated like PS4 and Xbone.

WaterAstro

Logically, there is like infinite amount more games on Steam than the Switch.

Anyone who jumps on developing on the Switch will enjoy early exclusivity and sales. Steam is just saturated.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Well, yeah, from the latest Jimquisition he did quote two developers on how terrible Steam is these days. Honestly with the current level of filth and the lack of compelling sales I've barely spent any money there this year. Conversely I probably spent 10-20x on PS4 stuff and 20x+ on Switch software. The only things I bought on Steam were smaller indie titles that were recommendations from other people I know. As far as I can tell none of them did or would show up on my algorithmically curated list because I guess a lot of hours with PlanetSide 2, MechWarrior Online, and Warframe meant Mother Russia Bleeds, Brigador, Hotline Miami 2, and Pathologic didn't get suggested? I have hotline Miami and it didn't suggest the sequel?

Instead in my discovery queue I got Nioh and Nier:A which I have on PS4 but I guess between all the Google metadata they couldn't figure that out? Next was Civ whatever, some other 4x game even though I only own Endless Space and have very little hours on it. Then some random indie game that I couldn't grab the jist of it with the trailer, probably a waking simulator. Last ones were Doom and Wolfenstein:New C because they're on my wish list. Good job. You're fucking useless.

Edit: Also Nioh and Neir:A made my discovery queue specifically because I bought games recommend from A SINGLE OTHER PERSON. Wow, such insight, soo good, very impressed. I mean I guess from my Steam library it should have suggested Dreadnought as well but I guess not? Oh well!

ehead

I have it but haven't played much of it yet. Will definitely play it next week. Anyway, good news for devs who find success in the Switch. There's definitely a place for indie games in that platform.

Top Bottom