• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Heist |OT| Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot ...dig?

JonnyKong

After spending the first ten minutes of the game thinking it was a bit iffy and crap, it soon quickly turned around once I got to grips with the different aspects and I found myself coming up with carefully placed tactics to shoot the enemies.

Steamworld Heist is fantastic. I'm completely addicted after just an hour. I'm playing just to see if I can get more hats, good lord those hats!

I'm already scared of how difficult the game is going to be later on (X-com has scarred me for life), but right now it's superb.

JonnyKong

Played for about four hours now, still think it's great. I really curse myself when I make a stupid mistake and get a team member killed. I don't think I'll be bothering to get every gold star in the game, ain't nobody got time for that.

I must say I'm surprised by the quietness of this thread. I thought a lot of Ps4 and Vita owners would have picked it up.

Haunted

One of those games where you can immediately tell "yeah, I'm gonna have a grand old time with this" within the first couple minutes of gameplay.

The art style scaled up nicely from its handheld origins, just like Steamworld Dig did. This isn't really a port, they've clearly planned for this right from the get go.

TheMoon

The art style scaled up nicely from its handheld origins, just like Steamworld Dig did. This isn't really a port, they've clearly planned for this right from the get go.

Well, of course. We've known about the console and PC versions from the start^^ (and they've shown the HD shots too).

JonnyKong

I got this finished last night (had to go on the easiest difficulty in the end, DON'T JUDGE OK). It's a superb game.

Is the dlc any good?

jaina

I'm considering either the New 3DS version or Steam. how good is the 3D?
The portability is not a factor to me.

mujun

I just finished this game a couple of days ago. I bought it using the money I got when I sold off No Man's Crap.

Amazing game, loved every minute of it. So much fun though I didn't really enjoy the final boss fight.

Stoze

I couldn't quite conjure up the will to make a whole LTTP thread for this, so I thought I'd just do a post in here. My end game stats:

fs3LdRh.png

This is honestly one of the best things I've played this year, it was a blast from beginning to end. It's such a unique turn based strategy game to the point where it's hard to describe it outside of the artillery style aiming. A lot of TBS games have overly long campaigns or take too much time to get through mission setups, where as this game doesn't overstay it's welcome and everything maintains a very brisk pace.

All the characters/classes feel different and more than viable when used correctly, but tension is still maintained by how easily they can die especially on a higher difficulty. Game is simple to pick up and understand but has a lot of depth, especially if you're really trying to get all the stars and are really optimizing what items to equip characters. I found myself taking some very contemplative turns on occasion.

Anyways, great game. I liked Steamworld Dig, but Heist is really something special. I plan on going back to NG+ and the highest difficulty some day.

Just finished it last week, and already jumped into new game + on veteran. This game has me hooked, which is a very rare thing these days.

Stoze

A big tip, I watched a little gameplay on youtube when I finished and it seems like a lot of people don't realize this;

Don't move into a new room until you have everybody by the door or hatch, most importantly one party member touching it. This is because if you open a door or hatch first thing on someone's turn before moving, it won't consume an action, and no enemies will get a free attack on you.

Also if you're playing on PC you can set a cursor down by right clicking with a mouse to aim better with weapons that don't have laser sights. Even if you're playing with a controller like I did, you can just plop a cursor down with a mouse whenever you need help to get a good shot off.

TheMoon

A big tip, I watched a little gameplay on youtube when I finished and it seems like a lot of people don't realize this;

Don't move into a new room until you have everybody by the door or hatch, most importantly one party member touching it. This is because if you open a door or hatch first thing on someone's turn before moving, it won't consume an action, and no enemies will get a free attack on you.

XCOM standard practice :D

danowat

Banned
Started playing this recently due to the PS sale, what a fantastic game, a heck of a lot of fun to play, love the art style, and the destruction effects of the characters is really satisfying.

Stranya

This game is absolutely fantastic. I grew up on Laser Squad and Lords of Chaos (if anyone else remembers those!), and of course the original Xcom. This is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

If you like tactical turn-based games, with a skill element (manual aiming) then you will love this. Fantastically balanced, superb mechanics, great characters.

Yagharek

Howdy everyone! Just wanted to let all of you know that SteamWorld Heist is out in Europe on Wii U today and we have a new launch trailer and a contest in which you can win the game for yourself. Thanks for your support, everyone!

Launch trailer: https://youtu.be/Uyl8hX24ck4

Contest: https://youtu.be/s662RniK8wE

Are you guys ever going to get Steamworld Tower Defence on other platforms? Its only on DSiWare isnt it?

Like the pixeljunk games it'd be great to be able to get all of the Steamworld titles together.

Picking up the wii u disc tomorrow morning. Loved Heist on 3DS.

TheMoon

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nt_challenges_and_continual_steamworld_growth
NL: First of all, can you give an impression of Heist's sales performance on 3DS? It's been around 9 months since it was released, so have you been happy with its reception?

BS: I'm happy to say that SteamWorld Heist has done quite a bit better for us than SteamWorld Dig, and it's been the follow-up that we hoped for! We obviously felt the pressure after Dig did so well both in terms of sales and reception. Expectations from fans and pundits, as well as our internal drive to "use the window of opportunity" we created with Dig, were quite present at times. We really wanted to prove ourselves, that we could make something completely different and way better than Dig, that we could make games that were truly world-class.

...It's holding up very well. I'm beginning to think there's now a crowd - a good chunk of the Nintendo community - that buys our games because they're made by us. They're confident our games are a cut above the rest and worth playing. Also due to the staggered release schedule - 3DS in December, Steam/PSN in June - Steam and PSN sales are playing catch-up. When we look back at SteamWorld Dig, which had a similar stagger, we see that 3DS, Steam and PS4/Vita are now roughly equal in sales. So far Heist has fared better on 3DS and Steam than on PSN.

To settle the thing about Heist being overlooked. :D

well, that's great news.

Come to think of it, a staggered release schedule for multi-platform indies is probably a great idea. Bombing wouldn't be quite so fatal for some peeps if they don't put their all their eggs in one basket (or release date, as it is).

SuomiDude

Will buy the eShop version once I'll get my financial issues solved. But I'm pretty damn sure I'll buy it this year. I already bought SteamWorld Dig and it was a great game although I wish it was much longer.

TheMoon

Will buy the eShop version once I'll get my financial issues solved. But I'm pretty damn sure I'll buy it this year. I already bought SteamWorld Dig and it was a great game although I wish it was much longer.

It's technically infinite since all the areas are randomly generated and you can just replay it over and over again :)

SuomiDude

It's technically infinite since all the areas are randomly generated and you can just replay it over and over again :)
But when you've completed the game once, you've seen all the upgrades, all the gameplay mechanics, all the enemies, all the loot etc. So even if the level layout is different the next time, it's still the same thing over again. It's not for me unfortunately, but like I said, the one playthrough was still great.

Maxrunner

Which version to get? Wiiu, 3ds or ps4? I assume the ps4 will be the expensier one?i also have 33% on the eshop because I bought the dig one.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Which version to get? Wiiu, 3ds or ps4? I assume the ps4 will be the expensier one?i also have 33% on the eshop because I bought the dig one.

Wii U and PS4 are more-or-less identical in terms of visual quality, as far as I know. Wii U lets you put the map on the gamepad which is quite useful. (Does the PS4 version have cross-buy with Vita?)

The 3DS version is fine but it does feel a little cramped compared to the console/PC versions. (It also runs better on New 3DS.)

mujun

This game is absolutely fantastic. I grew up on Laser Squad and Lords of Chaos (if anyone else remembers those!), and of course the original Xcom. This is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

If you like tactical turn-based games, with a skill element (manual aiming) then you will love this. Fantastically balanced, superb mechanics, great characters.

Loved Laser Squad :)

Wait! What?! I'll have to look into this. Rebelstar Raiders, Laser Squad & Lords of Chaos were my goto games way back in time and i still have my old tapes and disks to hand on my shelf.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Just bought this game and I love it. :) Quick question - is it possible to change inventory for the crew when you're in between missions or can it only be done only when you're preparing for a new mission?

TheMoon

Just bought this game and I love it. :) Quick question - is it possible to change inventory for the crew when you're in between missions or can it only be done only when you're preparing for a new mission?

hm? what's the difference? if you're going out for a mission, you always select your crew etc.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yeah but the inventory space is limited and if I want to sell some stuff I have to start a mission to find out which items I can get rid of. It's not a big thing, but it is an inconvenience imo.

TheMoon

Yeah but the inventory space is limited and if I want to sell some stuff I have to start a mission to find out which items I can get rid of. It's not a big thing, but it is an inconvenience imo.

oh that's what you mean.

why don't you just hit start and look at the menu :)

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I played a little bit more. The game is really addicting, but I feel like I'll have to do some grinding on previously finished missions before participating in new ones.

Top Bottom