• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor - GDC 2012 Screens

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Genre: 1st Person Action
Platform: Kinect for Xbox 360
# of Players: 1
Release Date: June 19, 2012 (US)
Rating: RP for Rating Pending
Developer: FROM SOFTWARE

GAMEPLAY OVERVIEW
Taking full advantage of Kinect for Xbox 360, Steel Battalion Heavy Armor is an Xbox 360 exclusive first-person action game set to deliver a uniquely immersive experience
and an evolution in warfare gaming.

Set in 2082, Steel Battalion Heavy Armor depicts a world devoid of semiconductors, where war is waged with rudimentary weapons as new superpowers struggle for
dominance. In a twist of fate, the U.S. army has been forced to begin major landing operations on what was once its own soil. In this low-tech era, there is one weapon
class that will determine the course of the war – the Vertical Tank (VT). Playing as pilot Lt. Powers, players control one such VT as he embarks on a mission that will see
the action shift from North America to battlefields and war-torn streets across the globe.

Steel Battalion Heavy Armor delivers an unprecedented level of control and interaction. VT movement, aiming and firing of the main guns are undertaken using the Xbox 360
controller. A wide variety of other combat-crucial actions are done through Kinect for Xbox 360 with upper body gestures - from starting the engine, to operating the scope
or manning the turret-mounted machine gun. Kinect for Xbox 360 also provides a means of interacting with your fellow crew members, from ensuring a panicked crew
member stays focused, to a high five for successfully completing a mission.

NEW FEATURES
 War, inside and out: Steel Battalion Heavy Armor provides a combination of first-person shooter (FPS)
controller gameplay with immersive gameplay elements that only Kinect can provide
 Take to the battlefield: Instil fear in the enemy as the pilot of a Vertical Tank (VT), but feel fear of
death as you and your crew become the focus of the enemy’s attacks
 Brothers in arms: Utilize Kinect to engage with fellow VT crew members as you share the emotional
highs and lows of the battlefield
 Unique universe: Steel Battalion Heavy Armor is set in a world where the balance of power has been
dramatically changed following a technology meltdown and once mighty nations are now reliant on
human skill and courage to regain justice and freedom
 Innovation: As with the original Steel Battalion, Steel Battalion Heavy Armor, once more demonstrates
Capcom’s commitment to take advantage of current technologies and push development boundaries to
deliver unique and compelling gaming experiences

filegetszdnq.jpg

art

Uhg... I'm no graphics whore by any means but shit, blahg does that look bad. I am excited though, I hope the gameplay is so good the grafix! don't even matter.

Scanna

aren't these just weird in some way? they seems blurry, but too blurry to be true...i'll wait to see this in motion and in the end, graphics won't be really the main point of this i think

duckroll

This game looks soft as hell. Let's hope those are just bad screenshots. I also still wonder how it will play...

It uses Kinect and the 360 controller. You control the mech using the 360 controller, while you use Kinect to interact with other things in the cockpit. Instead of playing as the mech itself, you're kinda playing as the dude in the cockpit of the mech, so the 360 controller sort of represents the main controls in the cockpit I guess.

Suairyu

Banned
Fear put to rest.

You use the 360 pad as well as Kinect.

Sold.

Y'know, if I had a 360 and Kinect.

aren't these just weird in some way? they seems blurry, but too blurry to be true...i'll wait to see this in motion and in the end, graphics won't be really the main point of this i think
You must not have played a lot of console games this generation. These are just PR screenshots that are being somewhat honest about how the game will actually look, despite the relatively clean lines. Make no mistake the game will be sub-HD and upscaled like every other game released post launch.

See also: when Koji released the screenshots for Peacewalker and actually took them from a real PSP build, rather than super-sampling them on a PC. Everyone was all "lol jaggies" and the people with a brain were all "what handheld games have you been playing this generation?"

Blunt

Banned
Looks like a sack of shit, coupled with Kinect controls.

I'm afraid my $200 controller and I will not be participating.

Scanna

Fear put to rest.

You use the 360 pad as well as Kinect.

Sold.

Y'know, if I had a 360 and Kinect.

You must not have played a lot of console games this generation. These are just PR screenshots that are being somewhat honest about how the game will actually look, despite the relatively clean lines. Make no mistake the game will be sub-HD and upscaled like every other game released post launch.

See also: when Koji released the screenshots for Peacewalker and actually took them from a real PSP build, rather than super-sampling them on a PC. Everyone was all "lol jaggies" and the people with a brain were all "what handheld games have you been playing this generation?"
believe me, i have played a lot this generation. the video is better, btw

Suairyu

Banned
believe me, i have played a lot this generation. the video is better, btw
Yeah like I said the video really put a lot of my fears to rest. This game looks proper fun.

If we're honest, the original Steel Battalion didn't need that big controller - most of the buttons were superfluous for superfluous things. Helped with immersion, sure, but gameplay wise? Not so much.

360 pad+Kinect is a good setup for this sort of game by the seem of things.

Xater

It uses Kinect and the 360 controller. You control the mech using the 360 controller, while you use Kinect to interact with other things in the cockpit. Instead of playing as the mech itself, you're kinda playing as the dude in the cockpit of the mech, so the 360 controller sort of represents the main controls in the cockpit I guess.

The Destructoid vid cleared that up. This might have sold me a Kinect if, but that thing needs a lot of room I just don't have. So I guess it doesn't matter how good this game ends up being.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/05010994.html

June 21 2012 for Japan. There are also two direct feed videos in that preview.

Tain

If I'm still managing VT rotation, arm rotation, and head rotation all at once (via controller), this is shaping up better than I expected. Not sure if that's the case.

Either way, the controls are only some of the picture. I want to know if they have the balls to make a game with a retry structure similar to the original. I really doubt that will happen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well there goes my hopes for the Kinect stuff being optional. Thankfully we got Mechwarrior and Hawken coming this year instead.

Jackano

Wow, I just heard about this game (the X360 one I mean), and going from the gigantic, great special controller on Xbox to Kinect... I have nothing against kinect, I think it's great tech, but seriously, wtf with this Capcom idea? Tekki is not the franchise I may have choose for a kinect game. I think the franchise is well known because of the special controller, and now you have no controller at all, it's a really weird choice, am I wrong? Not bad, the game may be sucessfull and the control shema good in the end, but at least weird.

Theonik

I sorta wish they had done something like the original game and used kinect as a supplement to having a large controller. Would be beyond amazing then. (using voice comands to boss your mech crew around, upper part of the cockpit, periscope etc)
Not that this looks that shabby, visuals aside. With this and Crimson Dragon I'm actually considering getting a Kinect which is surprising to say the least.

scitek

Wow the background music in that video grates the ears after a while. Game looks much better in motion than still screens, actually looking forward to it after watching the preview / hearing the impressions.
The editor likely had a 1 minute loop and copy/pasted throughout the timeline without a thought.

Orayn

+FROM Software
+Mech game
+Might actually be an interesting implementation of Kinect.
-Single player only. :\
-Performance in FROM's recent games hasn't exactly been great and this makes me worry.

Pushes me ever closer to picking up Kinect if there's ever a particularly good bomba. I want it for this, the new Panzer Dragoon-ish game, and Child of Eden.

glaurung

Severely beaten with an ugly stick.

I saw the cockpit shots earlier today at the Games Press portal and I thought they were off-screen captures taken with a phone.

Hype decreased to below zero.

Top Bottom