Steel Battalion Kinect - First in-game screens

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/16050460.html

They actually showed off a demo for the game at TGS. Nothing new in the article at all as far as I know, since they already revealed in August that the game would use both Kinect and the controller simultaneously. But now you can see how the game actually looks when you play it... at least in the cockpit view. Lolz





The only new piece of information is that all the elements you can interact with in the cockpit are marked in red. Kinda like the Mirror's Edge runner's vision thing I guess. Whatever. Lulz.
 

OrangeYouGlad

Banned
May 9, 2009
4,184
0
0
Mildly interested since missing out on the original one. My only worry is that the responsiveness of Kinect may hinder gameplay. I know no one saw an eject button and I'm wondering if input lag is why. How infuriating would it be if your save was destroyed because the sensor couldn't keep up, or worse, lost track of your hand.
 

mollipen

Member
Oct 7, 2005
19,775
2
0
Silent Hill
morningproject.com
Takuya said:
What does he need the controller for?
Anything taking place outside of your "mech" (term used loosely) is done via the controller. Everything inside the mech is done via Kinect.



Wario64 said:
So you can sit down and play?
Standing up is specifically one of the action you do for certain gameplay elements. Otherwise, you're always sitting down.
 

CozMick

Banned
Sep 28, 2009
6,347
0
0
S-O-T
The devs can't honestly believe that Kinect is a superior alternative to the "controller" that was used previously?

Can they?
 

OrangeYouGlad

Banned
May 9, 2009
4,184
0
0
CozMick said:
The devs can't honestly believe that Kinect is a superior alternative to the "controller" that was used previously?

Can they?
A lot of people have a Kinect now. Not many want to drop the kind of money the original required.
 

Vinterbird

Member
Nov 17, 2006
8,146
0
0
CozMick said:
The devs can't honestly believe that Kinect is a superior alternative to the "controller" that was used previously?

Can they?
It's not an alternative here, it's mixed with traditional controls. The way it's supposed to be. Motion/voice can add a lot to the basic game experience if done right.
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
Looks terrible. Whilst certainly inventive, a tiny tank window in the middle of the doesn't exactly inspire a feeling of this game being in any way playable. Also the whole back story offends my sensibilities as an engineering student.
 

Grisby

Member
Mar 4, 2008
21,379
0
0
Like that cockpit screen. I laugh every time though with this game. My giant ass SB set sits in my closet while my tiny Kinect is out by the TV. Crazy.
 

KageMaru

Member
Oct 6, 2010
9,910
1
0
Please be good, please be good, please.....

TheNiX said:
A lot of people have a Kinect now. Not many want to drop the kind of money the original required.
While I'm remaining optimistic on this game, to be fair, the price of this game + Kinect is the same price as the original Steel Battalion ($200).
 
May 6, 2008
24,159
0
0
stilgar said:
Yeah for leftist Nazi pilots !
????

The game's trailer struck me more of the type of fantasy plot you would see in a Canon movie in the 1980s.

....oh I get you lol

I wonder if people doing motion control programming have it in the back of their head to never ever program (and check to make sure no one slip buy) a movement that is to close to a Nazi salute? Of course I know it would be an accident...well unless Mel Brooks does a Wii Producers Game. lol

Oh am I the only one who sort of likes the batshit crazy plot and it's bizarre appeal to WWII and America Fuck Yeah mentality?
 

Tain

Member
Jun 13, 2004
24,280
3
1,365
horizonvanguard.com
CozMick said:
The devs can't honestly believe that Kinect is a superior alternative to the "controller" that was used previously?

Can they?
I highly doubt it, but at the same time, a game like the original can't be made in 2011. Not much sense in asking.

I like From, but this is probably going to blow. At the very least, this has zero chance of being as good as the original.
 

LuchaShaq

Banned
Jun 10, 2011
11,741
0
0
The best and most interesting implimentation of kinect in my mind has always been.

1. FitnessDancing/sports mini games (kinect sports/dance central/your shape, aka the only good kinect games)

2. More complicated games WHILE using the controller.
 

Osietra

Banned
Jul 31, 2009
2,780
0
0
Oh man. This could really not be very good at all. Bad bad feelings inside my beating throbbing pulsing blood-filled heart. My tear-ducts are spanked, and they will cry the rain of sadness soon. I hope not still.
 

stilgar

Member
Feb 8, 2007
6,045
0
0
www.projet-orphee.org
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
????

The game's trailer struck me more of the type of fantasy plot you would see in a Canon movie in the 1980s.

....oh I get you lol

I wonder if people doing motion control programming have it in the back of their head to never ever program (and check to make sure no one slip buy) a movement that is to close to a Nazi salute? Of course I know it would be an accident...well unless Mel Brooks does a Wii Producers Game. lol

Oh am I the only one who sort of likes the batshit crazy plot and it's bizarre appeal to WWII and America Fuck Yeah mentality?
I think they don't care the least, unless the backlash force them to see it. Case in point :


2008 was a fun year indeed.
 

The_Monk

Member
Sep 28, 2010
12,081
0
0
After this it seems more and more to me, that Kinect can be great for exercise, dancing and "playing" sports.

But I guess when it comes to other genres it makes the experience worst. Like this game, the upcoming Rise of Nightmares, the Ghost Recon (is it?) future soldier or whatever it's called where you shoot a gun by opening and closing your hand =/

I have 3 games for Kinect and every time I look for another game, I can't find any that fits my taste.
 
Aug 14, 2006
11,638
0
0
That looks like it might actually work fairly well (providing that the game doesn't rely on advanced skeletal tracking too much), since it's effectively using Kinect as a glorified pointer.

Of course, the Wiimote pointer would be the best device for this kind of interface (with Move in second), but this could still work with Kinect.

Colour me cautiously optimistic.
 
May 6, 2008
24,159
0
0
stilgar said:
I think they don't care the least, unless the backlash force them to see it. Case in point :


2008 was a fun year indeed.
Was that shitty programming or something certain messed up fans did for that team?

I never heard of that can you give any background?
 

PdotMichael

Banned
Feb 9, 2011
20,761
0
540
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Was that shitty programming or something certain messed up fans did for that team?

I never heard of that can you give any background?
Real S.S. Lazio simulation.
 

Twinduct

Member
Jan 22, 2010
5,675
0
0
South Africa
miladesn said:
a bit more here, http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012058/20110916047/
http://www.abload.de/img/002huad.jpg[mg]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/0120u0l.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/0111uq0.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/0138uvo.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/0054u91.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/004nuwp.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Why is the kinect and the 360 blurred in that one photo? (dev unit I assume)
But where is the kinect in the other photos?! .. did they shop it out?
 

PJFJosh

Member
Nov 4, 2010
98
0
510
NJ/NYC
PSNation.org
"Every soldier fights two wars... the war outside and the war inside

lol is that their subtle way of telling us that the controls suck and you'll be fighting against them to make anything work they way you expect?
 

Tain

Member
Jun 13, 2004
24,280
3
1,365
horizonvanguard.com
I guess the question is, why use the franchise at all if this game

1. won't have a ridiculous controller, and

2. won't have a crazy-tense retry structure

I guess this is just some Xcom shit
 

Twinduct

Member
Jan 22, 2010
5,675
0
0
South Africa
PJFJosh said:
"Every soldier fights two wars... the war outside and the war inside

lol is that their subtle way of telling us that the controls suck and you'll be fighting against them to make anything work they way you expect?
' Moving the Mech in place was a piece of cake, but when we had to load up the ammo ... oh boy did Jensen spaz out '
 

Llyranor

Member
May 17, 2006
12,169
0
1,215
Luigiv said:
Looks terrible. Whilst certainly inventive, a tiny tank window in the middle of the doesn't exactly inspire a feeling of this game being in any way playable. Also the whole back story offends my sensibilities as an engineering student.
The claustrophobia is part of the tank experience. Red Orchestra does this marvelously. You have very limited views, so you have to coordinate with your teammates within the same tank in order to spot things properly. You can also open hatches to get better fields of vision, but of course this exposes you to small-arms fire if you decide to do it in an unsafe area. This makes the tank experience much better, not worse, imo.

That doesn't mean it will be done properly for this game, we'll see.
 

Enron

Banned
Jul 6, 2006
18,535
3
0
Atlanta, Ga
Oh my god, this looks fucking terrible ;_;

The whole point of steel battalion was to have the experience of sitting in a cockpit and hitting a bunch of buttons and switches that light up and shit and make you feel like a motherfucking BOSS. This is waving your hand to try and "press" things on a screen you don't actually touch. No. No. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo