• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Series Arctis 7P - PS5 wireless headset

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Reviews i have seen say the audio on the 7p is slightly better
It’s not. They’re identical when it comes to sound.

They both feature the exact same S1 40mm audio drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Oh i see ok well i have read good reviews so shall see what it delivers
I think the 7p has usb c charging, so your headphones would charge faster (I think)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another deciding factor was the comfort i had the gold headset and they would hurt my ears.. if pulse is any thing like that then i wouldnt like them

7p are supposed to be so comfy

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Another deciding factor was the comfort i had the gold headset and they would hurt my ears.. if pulse is any thing like that then i wouldnt like them

7p are supposed to be so comfy
I can wear the 7x (same design comfort wise) for 8 hours and forget they’re even there

I’ve owned prob 4 different headsets and these are by far the most comfortable

FrankWza

Reviews i have seen say the audio on the 7p is slightly better

It is. Not worth $50 more and not worth giving up the rest of the features. Actually, 3d sounds better at higher volume and feels more “open” than the 7

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna splash out for the artics wireless pros. Watched tonnes of reviews on the artics and astro a50's and the wireless pro just seems like something I need to own!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I think I'm gonna splash out for the artics wireless pros. Watched tonnes of reviews on the artics and astro a50's and the wireless pro just seems like something I need to own!

I have them and the audio is just terrible. I don't know what reviews you are watching but link me to them plz cause I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

Also look at the Penrose for ps5

Esca

So been using them most the day and night now today and I forgot I waswearing headphones since they are so comfortable, really happy with the sound to, I'm not sound snob and don't have a great ear so these sound good to me. Tried them in demon souls, spiderman mm, and sack boy and was pleased.

I feel for the quality they are (which is pretty high feeling) and sound and comfort they are worth the price. I'm happy with my purchase

So been using them most the day and night now today and I forgot I waswearing headphones since they are so comfortable, really happy with the sound to, I'm not sound snob and don't have a great ear so these sound good to me. Tried them in demon souls, spiderman mm, and sack boy and was pleased.

I feel for the quality they are (which is pretty high feeling) and sound and comfort they are worth the price. I'm happy with my purchase

does the mic have to be out to use it ?

FrankWza

You need a peanut head and small ears. Plus, you have to accept the fact that it’s a wireless headphone, not a headset because the mic isn’t that good. None of the features on it work without a pc app and there’s constant noises and disconnects. Not even close to being worth $300. So disappointed.
Unless the arctis are huge on you fit wise, the Penrose will clamp your head. And the pleather pads, so cheap and uncomfortable and hot.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
You need a peanut head and small ears. Plus, you have to accept the fact that it’s a wireless headphone, not a headset because the mic isn’t that good. None of the features on it work without a pc app and there’s constant noises and disconnects. Not even close to being worth $300. So disappointed.
Unless the arctis are huge on you fit wise, the Penrose will clamp your head. And the pleather pads, so cheap and uncomfortable and hot.

you have the penrose headsets for gaming?

For the steel series headsets to switch to tv output automatically can this be sorted by sony updating there firmware to allow it

Moogle11

Banned
For the steel series headsets to switch to tv output automatically can this be sorted by sony updating there firmware to allow it

I doubt it. I think on PS4 that only ever worked with Sony headsets, otherwise you have to manually switch or remove the USB dongle. Moot for me as I pretty much never game without headphones and I use my Apple TV4K for streaming rather than my consoles.

Wish the damn 7x would come back in stock. Getting annoying playing with wired headphones plugged into my Xbox controller when gaming on Series X (since my Sony Gold's don't work with Xbox).

I doubt it. I think on PS4 that only ever worked with Sony headsets, otherwise you have to manually switch or remove the USB dongle. Moot for me as I pretty much never game without headphones and I use my Apple TV4K for streaming rather than my consoles.

Wish the damn 7x would come back in stock. Getting annoying playing with wired headphones plugged into my Xbox controller when gaming on Series X (since my Sony Gold's don't work with Xbox).
Its a shame its only thing that lets the headset down really im not fussed about game chat mixer

Moogle11

Banned
Yep. I'm not aware of any third party headsets that do the auto switching back to sound system/tv speakers when turned off with PS4 or PS5. Sony probably limits that to their first party headsets to give them an extra selling point.

Still better than my XSX where I have to remember to mute my receiver when I plug headphones into the controller or else I'll get sound from both the speakers and the headset. Anyone know if the 7x auto mutes the soundsystem when connected, or if you still have to mute to not get sound from both? Not a big deal, just one extra step to remember.

SullaFelix

Neo Member
anyone that has the headset does the mic have to be out to use it? Asked before but dont think anyone see it haha

I don't believe so. There's a separate button to mute the mic, the retractable arm is just to position it. Haven't used it specifically to chat yet, but it was catching my audio on COD even with the mic tucked in until I muted it.

I don't believe so. There's a separate button to mute the mic, the retractable arm is just to position it. Haven't used it specifically to chat yet, but it was catching my audio on COD even with the mic tucked in until I muted it.
Ok thanks for this cant wait for them to come thursday

Echoing what a few others have said, they are very comfortable and sound great. Enjoy! I'm very happy I sprung for these instead of the Pulse headset.
This is what i want to hear cos im really in the middle plus the pulse are so hard to get in the uk

hope i like them

I have them and the audio is just terrible. I don't know what reviews you are watching but link me to them plz cause I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

How have you got yours set up? Do you have a HDMI audio extractor so you can plug the optical into it from the base station and then HDMI from console to base station, then HDMI from extractor to tv?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
How have you got yours set up? Do you have a HDMI audio extractor so you can plug the optical into it from the base station and then HDMI from console to base station, then HDMI from extractor to tv?

i didn't do that hdmi extractor. i did read about it though. i did plug my optical cable to the transmitter to my tv but it didn't do much. one thing I noticed is you get more volume if you turn surround sound off on the transmitter. another problem is I cant get my headset to connect to engine 3 eq.

FrankWza

i didn't do that hdmi extractor. i did read about it though. i did plug my optical cable to the transmitter to my tv but it didn't do much. one thing I noticed is you get more volume if you turn surround sound off on the transmitter. another problem is I cant get my headset to connect to engine 3 eq.

Did you change the output to chat only? Otherwise it’s still outputting everything to usb instead of mic only. The volume will still be low to headphones this way.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Did you change the output to chat only? Otherwise it’s still outputting everything to usb instead of mic only. The volume will still be low to headphones this way.

didn't do that. have an appointment today with support. its safe to say all the supposed ps5 headsets are not meant or work with ps5 unless its the pulse 3d

FrankWza

didn't do that. have an appointment today with support. its safe to say all the supposed ps5 headsets are not meant or work with ps5 unless its the pulse 3d

I got mine working both ways now. You just need a usb to spdif and you can get tempest and or your optical headsets vss on the fly. But you’ll be happy with the sound from your pro if you change the settings I suggested.

There's an option in the transmitter to unlock the volume, some EU countries hav a limit on how loud headphones can be, turn that off and put your surround sound back on. Buy a HDMI audio extractor to get the better quality sound.

Jelle

After much tought and reading I decided to go for the 7P, but it's sold out everywhere. Hope SteelSeries get stock soon, the black version looks slick.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
There's an option in the transmitter to unlock the volume, some EU countries hav a limit on how loud headphones can be, turn that off and put your surround sound back on. Buy a HDMI audio extractor to get the better quality sound.
I turned off the off the that option. Thanks

Ok so when I want to use HDMI audio instead of the 7x, I have to switch over to HDMI audio in the PS5 settings. No big deal right? Except sometimes this just doesn't work. Sometimes I have to unplug the dongle and restart the PS5 so it's becoming more than a minor irritation as I frequently need to change between headphones and HDMI.

Anyone figured out a robust way of doing this yet?

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Ok so when I want to use HDMI audio instead of the 7x, I have to switch over to HDMI audio in the PS5 settings. No big deal right? Except sometimes this just doesn't work. Sometimes I have to unplug the dongle and restart the PS5 so it's becoming more than a minor irritation as I frequently need to change between headphones and HDMI.

Hmmm, I switch all the time and don't have this problem. Strange...

FrankWza

You might have a cec setting enabled. do you have automatic switch on?
Or maybe try switching the adapter toggle before and disconnect the 7x connection from the ps5. The 7x works with the ps5 because it sees it as a generic usb connection but isn’t made for ps

7 days and headset still hasent arrived i rang ups and the headset had been lost lovely got it from steel series aswell

im from the uk i can say ups are shocking if i didnt contact them they wouldnt of contacted me.. i have never have anything delivered from ups hope i dont again

it says it come from denmark i was surprised at that

Moogle11

Banned
I gave up trying to snag the Steelseries Arctis 7x from their site as I missed restocks and just tired of refreshing and trying to get stock after all the time and energy spent doing so to score a PS5 and XSX.

I just bit the bullet a couple days ago and nabbed one off ebay for a $50 mark up (seems scalpers are all over these as there are a bunch on there and most at a bigger mark up than that). Hate doing that, but tired of looking and tired of playing XSX games with headphones plugged into the controller as I get intermittent static and drop outs. Will try and sell my V2 PS Gold's to recoup the markup. Also ordered the leather ear pads from Steelseries too as I don’t tend to like fabric ear pads.

Headset should be here Friday, leather ear pads Monday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom