• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Series Arctis 7P - PS5 wireless headset

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just wanted to make people aware that there is a PS5 specific Arctis headset that is a good alternative to the Sony Pulse.

Additionally all Steel Series headsets that are fully compatible with the PS5 can be found here:

Wearing these right now. Well, not the "P" but these work with PC and PS4. I'm assuming they may not with PS5 because the distinction?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No they will work fine with the PS5.
Cool. now all I need to do is get a PS5. I've given up on walmart. There was a release yesterday. I was refreshing at the time of the release. Went strait to out of stock. This is just ridiculous. I'm thinking of giving up and just being happy with an Xbox Series X and PC til next year.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
it doesn’t have chatmix if that’s a feature you like to have onboard
its not super important, seeing as though i play majority single player games on Playstation. Are you saying the ones i have don't have chat mix or the Steele Series 7P?

FrankWza

its not super important, seeing as though i play majority single player games on Playstation. Are you saying the ones i have don't have chat mix or the Steele Series 7P?
None of the 7’s have working chatmix on ps5. Even if they have it built into the headset.The only way to have chatmix right now is with a PS headset or optical workaround with a different headset system.

Moogle11

Banned

The 7p's have the chat mix button (edit, per the above it seems like it doesn't work on PS5 currently anyway). The plain 7s and 7x do not (7x had a mic feedback wheel instead, not sure on regular 7s). I don't see it as a big deal either as you can change that toggle in the quick menus.

I ordered the 7x as I needed something that works with PS5, XSX, Switch and PC and didn't' want to have multiple headsets. The 7p and 7 don't work with Xbox as it uses a different wifi frequency or something. The 7x come with a USB-C dongle (and USB-C to A adapter cable) that has an Xbox/USB toggle switch so it will work with everything just moving the dongle/adapter around. I'd been doing that with Sony Golds as I didn't have an Xbox last gen, but now having the XSX the 7x is the best current option that works with everything for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The 7p's have the chat mix button (edit, per the above it seems like it doesn't work on PS5 currently anyway). The plain 7s and 7x do not (7x had a mic feedback wheel instead, not sure on regular 7s). I don't see it as a big deal either as you can change that toggle in the quick menus.

I ordered the 7x as I needed something that works with PS5, XSX, Switch and PC and didn't' want to have multiple headsets. The 7p and 7 don't work with Xbox as it uses a different wifi frequency or something. The 7x come with a USB-C dongle (and USB-C to A adapter cable) that has an Xbox/USB toggle switch so it will work with everything just moving the dongle/adapter around. I'd been doing that with Sony Golds as I didn't have an Xbox last gen, but now having the XSX the 7x is the best current option that works with everything for a reasonable price.
Whoa, the 7x works with everything? That's worth the price of admission by itself. The ones I have only work with Xbox if I tether it via 3.5 mm cable.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Whoa, the 7x works with everything? That's worth the price of admission by itself. The ones I have only work with Xbox if I tether it via 3.5 mm cable.

Yep. Hence being hard to find and scalpers being all over them. As above I just caved and paid some markup on eBay. I’m out of patience for hunting hard to find items after all the time spent scoring a PS5 and XSX and then trying for 3 weeks to find 7x in stock.

But yeah they work with Xbox with the usb c dongle in the usb a adapter and switched to Xbox, and everything else with it switched to USB and plugged in via USB C or the USB A adapter cable. Will work with Swirch undocked and android phones with the dongle plugged into the USB c port.

Last edited:

Yeah I was planning on using that once I had both consoles. But if it’s being bought by scalpers that might be difficult? 😞

OT: I just wanted to say that I love love love your female jigsaw avatar. It’s awesome 😎.

Moogle11

Banned
What are the general choices for a ps5 headset around the same price as the new official?

If you only want/need PS5 I'd probably go with the Pulse. Doubt you'll find another wireless headset of similar quality for $100. If you can go up a bit more, for the reviews etc. I read the Steelseries 7p (or 7x if you want flexiblity to use on more devices and sound quality is identical) for $150 is a good option. No idea on stuff under $100 or above $150 as I didn't research things in those ranges before deciding on the 7x.

FrankWza

penrosex does as well. If you’re going to pay a markup may as well just get the Penrose x.
Edit. They’re a tight fit though.

Last edited:

FrankWza

What are the general choices for a ps5 headset around the same price as the new official?
If you only want/need PS5 I'd probably go with the Pulse. Doubt you'll find another wireless headset of similar quality for $100. If you can go up a bit more, for the reviews etc. I read the Steelseries 7p (or 7x if you want flexiblity to use on more devices and sound quality is identical) for $150 is a good option. No idea on stuff under $100 or above $150 as I didn't research things in those ranges before deciding on the 7x.

the platinum. Sounds better than both

My package got lost by ups so in other words someone stole it.. steel series said cant do anything until jan 4th so i just got the pulse instead

wont be using steel series again they use UPS and they are useless

managed to get full refund.. will try the pulse if i dont like i will send back and get 7p from amazon i wanted the black headset however only steel series sell it will settle with the white headset

just a heads up if you order from steel series direct it comes from denmark

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Finally got my Steelseries Arctis 7x Headset after some USPS shipping delays. Link to the product page for details for those interested: https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7x

Overall I'm very pleased with them. I'm not audiophile but they definitely sound better than my Sony Gold V2's I'd been using with PS4/5, Switch (docked) and PC or my old Sony MDR-XB950 wired headphones I'd been using with XSX (plugged into controller) and Switch in Handheld mode. 24 hours of battery life (rated, not tested yet) will be nice after the 6ish with the Golds.

It's nice to have something that works with all they above by just moving the USB-C dongle (and USB-C to A adapter cable where needed) around. Dongle has a toggle for Xbox and USB (latter for everything but Xbox which uses a different frequency).

Head set is comfy as well, really like the ski band adjustment system. I replaced the cloth Airweave ear cups with the leather ones I'd ordered from Steelseries and already received as I don't like cloth ear cups. I did see when looking up a video to make sure I removed and installed them correctly that there's a company called Wicked Cushions that makes ear cups that fit that look a bit nicer for $7 or so more than Steelseries. The Steelseries ones are fine and pretty comfy though so I'll stick with them.

Steelseries: https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/arctis-ear-cushions?ear-cushion-material=leather

Wicked Cushions: https://wickedcushions.com/collections/gaming-ear-pads

I also ordered a couple shorter USB-C to A adapter cables (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) both as the one it comes with is long to leave dangling in sight on my XSX (where it will be most of the time) and I wanted to just leave one there, one on my PC and one on my Switch dock to just have to move the dongle around.

Overall I'm very pleased, though I haven't played with friends yet so can't comment on the mic. Only downside I could see for some is the max volume. It's more than loud enough for me, but some reviews said they thought it wasn't loud enough and I do definitely have the volume on the headset closer to max (with devices at 100%) than I did my Sony Golds. PS5 wise, the main downsides vs one of the Sony headsets is the game audio/chat mix wheel doesn't work (works on Xbox, but on PS have to use the system quick menu slider and like all third party headsets the console won't auto switch between headset and TV/AVR audio when you turn the head set on and off. Have to use the quick menu options for both of those. Not a big deal to me, but may bother some.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol the dongle is big but at least now flush?
At least they are no longer doing wireless single on 3 meters of usb cable... What's the point of wireless headset with 3 meter wireless dongle

Krisprolls

Banned
Just bought the 7P. I’ve heard a handful of people who own both 7P and 3D Pulse say that the 7P wins hands down in terms of 2D audio, comfort and build quality. Just gotta wait to see how they compare with games utilizing tempest engine.

I have both an Arctis Steelseries Wireless Pro and a Pulse 3d.

Arctis is indeed better in 2d audio and comfort.

On ps5, I still usually prefer using my pulse because of 3d sound and also because it has more bass.

The dragon is Demon's Souls is more impressive on the Pulse 3d.

2d sound feels deeper on the arctis though.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Lol the dongle is big but at least now flush?
At least they are no longer doing wireless single on 3 meters of usb cable... What's the point of wireless headset with 3 meter wireless dongle

Dongle is not quite flush when plugged into a usb c port.

The USB-C to A adapter cable included with the Series X is still pretty long, so I’d opt to get shorter cable like the one I linked or an adapter plug of wanting a nearer solution for using on Xbox, Switch dock etc that need the adapter.

if you find the pulse comfortable you’re better off. The sound quality is about equal and the pulse has more on board features that work with PS5 and sound better with tempest for some reason.

Yeah I’d have gone Pulse or stuck with my Golds if they worked on Xbox. But needing one wireless headset (don’t want the clutter or hassle of keeping two charged) that works for Xbox, PS5 and everything else, 7x was the way to go for me and my budget.

Last edited:
Managed to get a refund after 4 email attempts
if you find the pulse comfortable you’re better off. The sound quality is about equal and the pulse has more on board features that work with PS5 and sound better with tempest for some reason.
the more on board features will likely make me keep it tbh going to give it a try tonight i dont play hours on end it should be fine

I am pretty impressed with the sound quality on the pulse 3d i am just trying to find the right setting on cold war to hear footsteps louder

overal though the headset had good bass and loud.. i can feel them around my ears after a while but its nothing to major no pain or anything maybe will after a while but havent played long with them yet

Ok i used them for few hours today and you do get quite some pressure and it starts to hurt your ears im going to wait for the 7p to come in stock to try them out

other than that the headset is fantastic but if the 7p are more comfortable i will lost likely send the pulse back

Moogle11

Banned
Used the 7x for several hours after posting my initial impressions. I’m definitely impressed with them and satisfied worn the purchase. Still haven’t done any online gaming so can’t comment on how other can hear me yet. Only nitpick is the volume control being a wheel rather than a rocker and being on the back left means it’s a bit easy to turn it up or down when moving my head against the recliner.

FrankWza

Ok i used them for few hours today and you do get quite some pressure and it starts to hurt your ears im going to wait for the 7p to come in stock to try them out

other than that the headset is fantastic but if the 7p are more comfortable i will lost likely send the pulse back
The issue with the 3d vs arctis is the goggle strap isn’t adjustable like the arctis. So, when it stretches out it clamps around your ears/jaw. The arctis uses Velcro so you can open them up so much that it doesn’t have to stretch and clamp. As long as the pulse doesn’t bother the top of your head, you should be able to gradually stretch it if you pull it apart a bit to make it comfortable. Just don’t go too far and crack it. If you pull from just below the bolt that holds the strap in place and kind of stretch away from the center it should be less of a clamp.

Do you think putting the headset over the playstation will stretch it abit?

i can feel the strap on the top but it doesent hurt if i can make the pulse more comfortable i will keep it as i like how compatible it is with the ps5

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I have both an Arctis Steelseries Wireless Pro and a Pulse 3d.

Arctis is indeed better in 2d audio and comfort.

On ps5, I still usually prefer using my pulse because of 3d sound and also because it has more bass.

The dragon is Demon's Souls is more impressive on the Pulse 3d.

2d sound feels deeper on the arctis though.
Did you download the mixer on your computer and change the equalizers for the 7p for bass etc?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I downloaded it once yes but didn't really use it, maybe I should try to put more bass on the equalizer yes. Thanks for the tip.
Yes lots of people i talked to though i dont have the headset yet, said ordinarily the sound lacked impact and then i told them to download the mixer and tweak stuff and they were surprised there was an option for that. Once they did they said it was much better

Krisprolls

Banned
Yes lots of people i talked to though i dont have the headset yet, said ordinarily the sound lacked impact and then i told them to download the mixer and tweak stuff and they were surprised there was an option for that. Once they did they said it was much better

Ok I'll try that then, thanks. That was my only complain about it yes, out of the box it lacks impact for gaming.

FrankWza

I was thinking of using the box it came with?
If it’s not too big a stretch it should work but it may flatten the earpads a bit unless you want to remove them. Softer item like a pillow makes it a little easier on the pads.
I have both an Arctis Steelseries Wireless Pro
if you have this headset you can switch between tempest and the base station vss on the fly as long as the base station has an option to turn off vss. You just need a usb to spdif that works with ps5. You also get chatmix functionality back for both.

lucius

Used the 7x for several hours after posting my initial impressions. I’m definitely impressed with them and satisfied worn the purchase. Still haven’t done any online gaming so can’t comment on how other can hear me yet. Only nitpick is the volume control being a wheel rather than a rocker and being on the back left means it’s a bit easy to turn it up or down when moving my head against the recliner.
I like them so far also I got them for similar reasons I just want to switchbetweenXbox/PC/Switch/PS5 easy. With the extra USB C cords you got did you notice any difference in sound quality than the official one ?

I wouldn’t think there be much difference but u never know. It is a really comfortable headset I was kind of fooled by the way it looks kind of bulky but it’s very comfortable and battery life is a big plus. I was getting 8 hours from a Bose.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I like them so far also I got them for similar reasons I just want to switchbetweenXbox/PC/Switch/PS5 easy. With the extra USB C cords you got did you notice any difference in sound quality than the official one ?

I wouldn’t think there be much difference but u never know. It is a really comfortable headset I was kind of fooled by the way it looks kind of bulky but it’s very comfortable and battery life is a big plus. I was getting 8 hours from a Bose.
Nope. I didn't really do a comparison though. Just put the one they included on my Switch and have used the two I bought (linked above) with Xbox Series X and PC (PS5 I just plug the dongle into the front USB C port). Sounds great to me on all devices, I'm not remotely an audiophile though so as long as audio is clear and loud enough I'm good to go.

On another note, I decided the Steelseries Leather ear pads I ordered were a bit, small, soft and loose fitting so I've ordered the ones From Wicked Cushions linked above to see if I like those better. From reviews they're bigger and firmer, so I'm hoping I prefer them. I'll try and remember and post some thoughts here after I get them and use them for awhile.

Yeah 7x is the way to go unless you’re only gaming on PlayStation. The dongle has an Xbox/usb switch so it works for everything. I’ve used mine with XSX, PS4, PC and Switch (docked and portable modes).
I never realized that they worked with PS4/PS5 as well. From what I can tell the 3D audio works as well so that's even better.

I've had Arctis 3s for awhile but wanted to get a wireless headset soon. Was trying to decide between the Arctis 1 Wireless, Arctis 7P, Cloud II Wireless, and the Blackshark V2 Pro. Will probably end up going with these on the off chance that I grab an Xbox down the line.

The only other headset I know that is wireless on everything is the Astro A20 as you can buy a separate PS dongle if you buy the Xbox version.

Moogle11

Banned
The 7X is currently back in stock for those looking.

Can knock it down to $132 with code FORM at checkout (credit to slickdeals.net).

lucius

I have been using the 7x also with Nvidia Shield fine I know it listed Android as supported but there been a number of Android things not ported over on Shield unless you side load . Switching over to another device is pretty easy since the dongle is USB C, just buy an extra cord for each device and pop it right in . Only negative no wireless iPhone/iPad support that I know of.

Moogle11

Banned
On another note, I decided the Steelseries Leather ear pads I ordered were a bit, small, soft and loose fitting so I've ordered the ones From Wicked Cushions linked above to see if I like those better. From reviews they're bigger and firmer, so I'm hoping I prefer them. I'll try and remember and post some thoughts here after I get them and use them for awhile.
Have had the Wicked Cushions ear pads for a couple days now. They are a very nice upgrade over even the leather ones from Steelseries. Better quality leather, a tad thicker and stiffer foam so they make the headset fit better and move around less, and they're a bit bigger with a bigger earhole. That means they actually cover my whole ear which is better for both comfort and blocking outside noise. Super pleased with them and wish I'd known of them first to have not wasted money on the Steelseries leather ones.

Note the Wicked Cushions gaming ear pads fit a ton of different gaming headsets from Steelseries, Hyperx, Turtle Beach and Razer so I highly recommend them as I imagine they're a nice upgrade on any stock pads.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Anyone have a recommendation for Steel Series on the Xbox?
9X

Have had the Wicked Cushions ear pads for a couple days now. They are a very nice upgrade over even the leather ones from Steelseries. Better quality leather, a tad thicker and stiffer foam so they make the headset fit better and move around less, and they're a bit bigger with a bigger earhole. That means they actually cover my whole ear which is better for both comfort and blocking outside noise. Super pleased with them and wish I'd known of them first to have not wasted money on the Steelseries leather ones.

Note the Wicked Cushions gaming ear pads fit a ton of different gaming headsets from Steelseries, Hyperx, Turtle Beach and Razer so I highly recommend them as I imagine they're a nice upgrade on any stock pads.

How much sound do they lock in and out?

Moogle11

Banned
9X

How much sound do they lock in and out?
I'd say 7x over 9x personally. Reports of more dropouts with the 9x's built-in wireless vs. the dongle with the 7x. For me it was the only option as I wanted a dongle headset that I could use with my XSX, PS5, Switch and PC as I don't like juggling multiple headsets.

As for sound lock in/out with the Wicked Cushions I'm not an audiophile or experienced enough with headphones to say any more that they're quite a bit better than the Steelseries ones or my old Sony Gold's, but both of those were fine on that front for my needs (house with minimal noise outside of some road traffic or my wife watching TV in the next room). They are significantly more comfortable than any headphone earpads I've worn and made the already comfy Arctis 7x (love the ski google strap design, makes them feel super light).

Last edited:
Top Bottom