• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

TVM3Klw.png

40oklLY.png

Platform: PS3 / PSV (PSTV compatible)
Price: $39.99/£29.99 (physical PS3/PSV) | $39.99/£34.99/€44.99/AU$62.95 (PS3 digital) |$39.99/ £39.99/€44.99/AU$62.95 (PSV digital)
Players: 1
Genre: Visual Novel
Developer: 5pb., Nitroplus
Publisher: PQube
Rating: PEGI: 16 / ESRB: M (PC port rating)
Release Date: June 5th (EU) / August 31st (NA)
Download size: PS3: 5.5GB / PSV: 1.6GB
YAuPbud.png

Set in the year 2010, Steins;Gate is the story of a group of friends, dragged along in the schemes of one Okabe Rintarou, aka Okarin. One day the friends discover that in their tinkering, they have accidentally invented a method of sending messages into the past. More or less, they have a time machine of sorts on their hands. In their "lab" based in Akihabara (Otaku HQ), the group begins to grow larger and their messages grow more frequent. However, the friends are drawn into a world of conspiracy and shifting timelines as they begin to realize that a simple message can change more than they imagined...

This is a story of friendship, betrayal, SERN, John Titor, the IBN 5100, cosplay, cat cafes and of course, time travel.
RbTDp26.png

L3qdEga.png

I can hear the screams already. "It's a Visual Novel! It doesn't really have gameplay! Why do you need a section for this?!" Oh hoho, au contraire! Indeed, most Visual Novels do use a very standard "choice system" as the basis for their gameplay and diverging storylines. However, Steins;Gate is not a standard Visual Novel! The gameplay of Steins;Gate is found on the protagonist's cellphone. How you respond to your cellphone will steer the course of the story and your relationships with the other characters. Answer calls or ignore calls. Receive emails, reply to emails. Some messages will even specific text that can be selected like a hyperlink to reply to. Your response to the messages and calls will determine in what way the plot moves forward!
ZOJNF0z.jpg
q77stzS.jpg

Screenshots not from PS3/PSV version
pDcj3oR.png

AHPdsLy.png

3W3w3T6.png

Although the two versions are fairly similar, I have separated the reviews according to the version they reviewed.
PSV
  1. Dealspwn - 10/10
  2. The Vita Lounge - 5/5
  3. Digitally Downloaded - 5/5
  4. God is a Geek - 9.5/10
  5. Vandal Online - 9.2/10
  6. Multiplayer.it - 9/10
  7. Gaming Age - B+
  8. Playstation Lifestyle - 8/10
  9. games(TM) - 8/10
  10. Gamestyle - 8/10
  11. The Sixth Axis - 7/10
  12. Pocket Gamer UK - 6/10
PS3
  1. Digitally Downloaded - 5/5
  2. ZTGD - 9.5/10
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK - 90
  4. Games Master UK - 86
  5. 3DJuegos - 8.5
  6. LaPS4 - 80/100
  7. Metro GameCentral - 8/10
  8. Edge Magazine - 70
vZOnJ8e.png

1. Should I watch the anime while I wait?
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Probably not. It’s a great, great anime, but it’ll probably be a better experience to play the game and watch the show after.
  2. I feel like we’ve had this thread before already. Has this been released before?
    Well yes. There was an English PC port that was released last year (2014). This however is the first console release in the West. It might also be worth noting for interested parties that there is an English iOS version incoming as well.
  3. Will this support cross-save?
    It does not seem to. And to preempt questions about cross-buy, it doesn’t seem to have cross-anything, unfortunately. However, that means more trophies!
  4. Oh trophies! Speaking of which, is there a platinum?
    Yes there is. Here’s the trophy list in case you’re interested. Obviously, spoiler alert.
  5. Is the OT Title a reference to something or are you so dumb that you couldn’t come up with something?
    It’s a reference. I promise. Credit actually goes to WhirlwindMonk:
    Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change
  6. Is this game related to those other weird games with semi-colons in the titles?
    Yes. This is part of the Science Adventure series which is comprised of Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, and Chaos;Child. No you do not need to have played the others to play this one.
  7. Does this have an English dub?
    Nope. Only Japanese audio is available.
  8. How long will this take me to finish?
    Looking at HLTB and VNDB the estimates to complete all endings seems to be somewhere between 30-50 hours. Actual playing time will of course be dependent on your reading speed.
One last thing: WATCH YOUR SPOILERS. Use spoilers tags for potential spoilers and clarify what's being tagged! You can never be too safe. We have people who have only watch the anime in here. We also have people who have never touched anything Steins;Gate related. BE CONSIDERATE.

Happy more people get to play this game. It was one of my favorite games of last year. I'll be looking forward to reading some fresh impressions.

Andrefpvs

Buy this game, folks. Let's kick-start more Japanese VN localisations on consoles.

Edit from the future: ...Or just buy it because it is a fantastic game.

Does this game have some sort of choice tracking mechanism like VLR? Not like I'll be playing this until the US gets this :(

Is there a reason why this game is not available in Russia and Ukraine? I mean, there is a reason, but was there some comments on it from developers?

fastmower

I've already watched the show and loved it loved it loved it! I'm going to play the game and see what the hype is about. Very excited!

Very nice OT! Holding out for the actual NA release since I've got the LE of the PC version to keep me company.

[*]Is the OT Title a reference to something or are you so dumb that you couldn’t come up with something?
It’s a reference. I promise. Credit actually goes to WhirlwindMonk

Woo! I feel special.

It's live on the Australian PS Store, but the mind boggles at that digital price. $63 lol

Can't wait for my copy to arrive from the UK. Hoooopefully next week. 。◕‿◕。

I know nothing about this other than that it's a visual novel for the Vita, it involves time travel and it's apparently rather good. Looking forward to going in blind.

Kouriozan

And I just watched the whole anime 2 days ago before knowing this would be released.
I enjoyed it anyway, that's what matter.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My copy just shipped. I will go in more or less blind, haven't read anything about the story (other than "scifi"), but it looked nice and people said it's good. So I hope they're right.

ryanofcall

Actually reallyexcited for this.The Anime is one of my all time favourites
btw: are psn games usually available by midnight?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Probably should have put platforms in the title but good OT anyways! I'm hoping shipping from the UK to the US isn't too long.

pbayne

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Also, god I hope this does well. I know VNs have gotten a bit more popular in the West but if Steins;Gate was to under perform I'm afraid it might kill the enthusiasm to port them for the West.

Jb

I don't know shit about the original material, but that OP and that US Gamer review pretty much convinced me to make it my first (retail) Vita purchase of the year :)

Zavvi still haven't dispatched my copy. The bastards. Would've been nice to get the game, y'know, THE DAY IT ACTUALLY COMES OUT!

Top Bottom