• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris Apocalypse Expansion - Death Star Capable

WaterAstro

ftkWzI8.jpg

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-apocalypse/STST01ESK0000013.html

Released Feb. 22, 2018
Cost $19.99 USD

What's New
  • Planetary Destruction - Build a special planet killer ship called a "Colossus" and wipe out enemy planets for good. Think Death Star.
  • Titan Class - Remember those giant ships from those Fallen Empires? You get to have one now.
  • Marauders - Nomandic, mercenary empires ready for hire. Money turns the tide of war.
Updates (Expansion not required)
  • FTL Changes - Everyone starts with the same FTL tech and specializes into special FTL through tech research.
  • Orbital Bombardment - Don't want to build a Death Star? Just keep shooting and turn planets into tomb worlds.
  • Starbases - A solar orbital fortress that can never be destroyed. The ultimate protection.
There's a lot more updates. See the full list here: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Apocalypse

WaterAstro

Didn't want my favourite strategy game have its major expansion go unnoticed. This is a big update for Stellaris. They're changing a lot about the game to make it fresh.

Edit: Crap, should I have put OT in the thread title? lol

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Holy crap... minutes into the game and they fundamentally changed even the most basic things.

You can use any ship to explore. It has to be a science ship. You can't also build science ships at the start too. This is going to drastically change my usual strategies as I learn all the new things.

Edit: Correction. There are just two different starbases now. One for utility and one for military.

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Bought this on release but stopped playing after a little while. Definitely going to jump back in for this expansion; everything they have added sounds really cool. I will certainly be using the "Colossus" to finish my enemies. I'll cackle like Frieza when planet Vegeta was destroyed.

Kadayi

Banned
Kind of bummed that they changed the space travel aspects. My entire approach was to play my game using wormhole tech throughout as homage to Dune and the whole folding space thing.

Acti

Any tips for a new stellaris player? I've played all the other Paradox games, firing up this one for the first time.

GIVE ME VICTORIA III !!!!!!!

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Any tips for a new stellaris player? I've played all the other Paradox games, firing up this one for the first time.

GIVE ME VICTORIA III !!!!!!!
Hmm, I haven't played their other games, so I can't compare. I think the game is easy enough to pick up at the lowest difficulty. AI aren't aggressive at all if set that way, and you can slowly learn all the mechanics. Don't feel bad about restarting because you learned something super important that really kept you back.

I would suggest making your own race right away and checking out all the different traits and empire modifiers. If there's anything you should focus on is unity generation to unlock ascension points. They're great to get as soon as possible.

WaterAstro

Was thinking about grabbing this, anyone able to give a complete noob a run down?
Are you into 4x games? It's literally an extremely polished 4x.

If you're not familiar with 4x, it's explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. You look for new resources via star systems, you build bases to collect the resource, you use the resource efficiently, then build ships to destroy your enemies. Stellaris gives you a lot of options to play the game. Diplomacy, alliances, or full out annihilation, it depends on your race that you can create yourself.

Right now, I'm just playing a robot race that's set to exterminate all life.

Trogdor1123

Are you into 4x games? It's literally an extremely polished 4x.

If you're not familiar with 4x, it's explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. You look for new resources via star systems, you build bases to collect the resource, you use the resource efficiently, then build ships to destroy your enemies. Stellaris gives you a lot of options to play the game. Diplomacy, alliances, or full out annihilation, it depends on your race that you can create yourself.

Right now, I'm just playing a robot race that's set to exterminate all life.
Sounds awesome. I guess I'll grab it next steam sale

SolarFry

Kind of bummed that they changed the space travel aspects. My entire approach was to play my game using wormhole tech throughout as homage to Dune and the whole folding space thing.
Same here. Straight up removing unique things like warp and wormhole travel...it's a bummer.

Now with hyperlanes everything comes down to choke points.

WaterAstro

Same here. Straight up removing unique things like warp and wormhole travel...it's a bummer.

Now with hyperlanes everything comes down to choke points.
Yeah, it's kinda weird, but I guess it's a balance thing. They really changed up how you take over systems. Influence is no longer planet based, though planets help the current system they are in.
Taking over territory is way easier than before. You just need to blow up the starbase in the system to take it over. It's almost too easy.

Top Bottom