• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Elop to become new lead of MS' devices division, including Xbox.

Sendou

6a00e0097e337c8833017c3730d468970b-pi

herp derp

Yeah I do love that graph. The point that is lost there though is that Nokia had to drop Symbian at one point. There was no chance it could have never been made a viable platform against Windows Phone, Android and iOS. Then there was MeeGo which more or less had the same chances. When they moved from one platform to another it meant a huge restructure. Naturally that caused the migration rate falling behind as shown in the graph. There was no way that development could have been avoided; Elop or not.

Biggest mistake Nokia made was clinging to Symbian and MeeGo too long.

It really wouldn't surprise me if certain Xbox Smartglass features in upcoming releases were restricted to now Nokia/WP devices.

That's one way to ensure Microsoft's ludicrously priced box is even less likely to break through to the mass-market.

I disagree, anyway. They'll continue to make devices, but they will not, ultimately, be aimed at the average consumer.

venne

What a strange piece of news to walk into. Either way you look at this situation, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the Xbox brand. If Elop really did destroy Nokia in order to sell it to Microsoft, than imagine the kind of shady as fuck dealings that will be taking place under his watch.
If Elop didn't destroy Nokia deliberately, than the man who destroyed Nokia by accident is now running Microsoft's biggest profit-eating department. The Xbox brand has been a black whole for Microsoft's cash flow since it's introduction; they've failed to make a net profit in nearly ten years.
In either case, this isn't good news.

You might want to look at the Online Services division. That's Microsoft's biggest loser.

monome

With this acquisition, it's much more likely that it won't be spun off. This basically says that MS is not getting out of the consumer electronics business. If anything, this means to me that the push into consumer space will be stronger.

As a brand and product, Xbox is much more successful than the Windows Phone/Arm devices. Before they spin off Xbox, expect a tighter push for Windows Phone/Xbox integration.

It really wouldn't surprise me if certain Xbox Smartglass features in upcoming releases were restricted to now Nokia/WP devices.

I agree.

MS will push for a more varied (cheap to coslty) hardware ecosystem, which they will leverage to bring enough consummers in so that they can keep some stuff exclusive to their plateforms.
when there is a good enough number of MS phones/tablets with a wide price range available MS will retire smartglas from android/iOS.

but they need Xbox to stay relevant first, while they build on their smartphones/tablets strategy.

MS is deep into change. that makes some investors hope to spin off the devices section relatable. it's a huge undertaking.
I think this acquisitition shows MS is willing to go broad and for the long haul. this is how they tell investors they have a vision. that can work.

And killing "Nokia" as a consummer oriented company is their sacrifice to keep investors happy. People who seek something Nokiaesque (aka price quality) will now have refer to MS.

First Lumia to come out from this needs to be special. neither ne essarily cheap nor high end, but special.

daniels

Microsoft spy? lol he is probably just shit at his job.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry, I'd forgotten about the N9. I'm not entirely sure I think they would have looked the same though. You have to admit that the styling of their hardware is a particularly good fit for WP and not at all a good fit for Android.

the power of design to have you associate it with a brand :)

and perhaps a little indictment of the lack of design innovation on android devices.

Brera

Banned
so he's like the revolver ocelot of the industry?

That's the rumor I heard.

Aparantly is MS operating procedure to send employees to other companies that may prove a strategic advantage to MS.

Just look at Peter Moore over at EA. Is Titanfall 1 year exclusive really in EA's interest?

monome

Microsoft spy? lol he is probably just shit at his job.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

lol.
you don't give a job to a shithead, you know to be a shithead.
neither do you spend 7.3B$ on a whim.

that may not work out. okay.

but don't believe this is happening because of a failure.

this is Nokia having lost its monopoly after iOS/Android boom
and MS having lost its monopoly after iOS/android boom
coming together to kick some ass; or at least staying relevant in the consummer space for a few more years.

That's the rumor I heard.

Aparantly is MS operating procedure to send employees to other companies that may prove a strategic advantage to MS.

Just look at Peter Moore over at EA. Is Titanfall 1 year exclusive really in EA's interest?

that's exactly how empires were run. by declaring peace to another country. while providing friendly counsil in the form of an emissary. until the situation can be reassessed with better informations.

Durante

Yeah, he did a really bang up job. He had no problems tanking Nokia's value even further (loss of 55% from when he took over - dropped from $8.60 in September 2010 to its current $3.90) so that Microsoft could buy it for cheap. Mission accomplished.
He's a pro.

marrec

Banned
It was well known that Nokia's symbian was a burning platform before Elop's memo leaked. That OS couldn't keep up with iOS or Android and Nokia showed no way of making it catch up. It's not like Nokia decided to replace the CEO because they were doing great. :-/

monome

He's a pro.

He may have tanked Nokia's profits.
but he helped build a recognizable smartphone brand.

MS has paid good money. of course they want the better side of the coin.
but they've helped Nokia into building something relevant against competition.

without MS, what would Nokia have done against a 200$ (off-contract) Nexus product in the US/Europe???
or against the chinese hardware makers?

Buggzy18

Banned
What a strange piece of news to walk into. Either way you look at this situation, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the Xbox brand. If Elop really did destroy Nokia in order to sell it to Microsoft, than imagine the kind of shady as fuck dealings that will be taking place under his watch.
If Elop didn't destroy Nokia deliberately, than the man who destroyed Nokia by accident is now running Microsoft's biggest profit-eating department. The Xbox brand has been a black whole for Microsoft's cash flow since it's introduction; they've failed to make a net profit in nearly ten years.
In either case, this isn't good news.

And pigs fly.

venne

Not really, but they didn't expect this;

If I was a Nokia shareholder I would be looking for legal advice regarding this acquisition.

What I get from those middle school level slides is that if Nokia just would have stayed the course with Symbian everything would have been okay and people would be waiting with bated breath for the new Belle devices.

monome

Microsoft + Nokia - $7.17 billion
Google + Motorola - $12.5 billion

tell me, who won ?

so far, Lumia has existed already 3 years. to some success.

Moto X is a phase 1/ product, that doesn't do much compared to the Nexus line.

both purchases include a set of major mobile related patents.

marrec

Banned
What I get from those middle school level slides is that if Nokia just would have stayed the course with Symbian everything would have been okay and people would be waiting with bated breath for the new Belle devices.

The power of statistics.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So who was worse Leo Apotheker and what he did to HP/Palm during the WebOS/Touchpad debacle and how he cost HP billions or this Elop guy with Nokia?

I'm not sure why people think Elop has done a bad job. Nokia's core business was collapsing under them before he became CEO and seemed ready to take it all the way down. It's not all that different from RIM, actually.

Elop has done what he could to transition a company and make the tough decisions CEOs are supposed to make. This sale delivers something to shareholders and puts its employees under a stale umbrella. He's no Steve Jobs but he is far from a Apotheker-style disaster.

marrec

Banned
I'm not sure why people think Elop has done a bad job. Nokia's core business was collapsing under them before he became CEO and seemed ready to take it all the way down. It's not all that different from RIM, actually.

Elop has done what he could to transition a company and make the tough decisions CEOs are supposed to make. This sale delivers something to shareholders and puts its employees under a stale umbrella. He's no Steve Jobs but he is far from a Apotheker-style disaster.

It was just 3 years ago, but people seem to think that Nokia was someone doing great when Elop took over.

That's simply not the case, their market value fell by 70% before Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo was fired and Elop was brought in. It was seen as a desperation move because they were in such dire straits.

Elop was able to keep Nokia treading water when it was well on it's way to sinking, not bad I suppose.

dzukela

both purchases include a set of major mobile related patents.

You mean that Motorola (vs Microsoft) patent lawsuit debacle ($3 bilion per year >>> $1.8 million per year)

or

Nokia vs Apple lawsuit settled (The financial structure of the agreement consists of a one-time payment payable by Apple and on-going royalties to be paid by Apple to Nokia for the term of the agreement. The specific terms of the contract are confidential)
"We are very pleased to have Apple join the growing number of Nokia licensees," said Stephen Elop

now, tell who have real patents?

MS paid Nokia a lot of cash to go down the Windows Phone route, I'm guessing they thought it would be more successful than it has been. I still think they would have been better off in the long term sticking to Meego and bringing out some Android phones and Windows phones. At least they would have had more options for surviving on their own.

$1 Billion to use Windows Phone

Datschge

Woohoo, now introducing the Elop effect to the gaming market and Microsoft (though they were never strangers to it). This will be glorious.

No matter what his past is or is not - the man has a upward battle ... so many parts of that ship seem to be leaking or not welded together correctly. I do wish him the best, strong competition makes for better consoles.

I think Nokia was in a really bad position way before Elop and MS partnership. They failed at making Symbian relevant. What were their options? Android? No, they have a lot of investment on their applications, like Maps, which will have to be substituted by Google products. And Maps continues to be a partnership with now Microsoft devices. Microsoft and Windows Phone were the only reasonable alternative, even if that was a really poor one.

Now the mobile OS world is becoming very hardware centric: iOS/Apple, WP/Microsoft, Android/Motorola. I wonder how Samsung, HTC and others are planning their future. Don't think that Motorolo being owned by Google is not a bad thing for 3rd party Android devices manufactures.

Top Bottom