• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

Loki

Count of Concision
Anyone know what song they were playing during the scene where the kids clean Beverly's bathroom? Sounds like 80's The Cure, but not sure what song.

Movie was ok. Solid, but not really memorable imo. Some funny lines, though (you guys are lucky we're not measuring dicks!). The scene where Pennywise sort of unfolds and unwinds himself coming out of that refrigerator is insane looking - great work.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
movie was amazing.

pretty gutted about the lack of a sewer gangbang though. tame film making 1 star.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Movie was solid. Thoroughly enjoyed it save for how intrusive the music could be.

Not sure how they salvage the absolute garbage back half of the story though. The sequel has its work cut out for it.

Finally saw it! It was fun, wholesome, meaty and almost iconic in places. Pennywise is a sadistic asshole in the best way!

I'm very curious how the filmmakers deal with the adult chapter.

Timu

Finally saw it! It was fun, wholesome, meaty and almost iconic in places. Pennywise is a sadistic asshole in the best way!

I'm very curious how the filmmakers deal with the adult chapter.
It has to be better than the miniseries, it would suck if it turned out worse than the adult section of the miniseries. Though I wonder if they will use the spider for It's true form and how it would look.

It has to be better than the miniseries, it would suck if it turned out worse than the adult section of the miniseries. Though I wonder if they will use the spider for It's true form and how it would look.

Not too worried about that, I liked the way they dealt with the body horror type stuff here.

Btw, what did IT say end? "something something...........................fear".

scoobs

This must have been one hell of a payday for Stephen King. Book sales must have skyrocketed across the board.

3rdman

Saw "IT" yesterday (pun intended) and after all the hype and positive press, I must say...I was pretty disappointed.

First and foremost, let me say that it is worth a watch...it's well acted, competently directed, etc, and (I imagine) the strength of the original source material makes it better than many other movies out but I had issues with it. Namely...

1. It wasn't scary. Few movies actually scare me though...Outside of The Shining or The Others, nothing really seems to make me spooked. The "gross" or "horrific" moments (for me) generally become a mental exercise in make-up vs CGI and the practical solution of how things were done.

2. Everything was HEAVILY telegraphed. "Oh maybe something bad is going to happen here...this kid separated himself for the 10th time from his friends and the music is all ominous-y" Seriously, there was no patience written into the script...the movie felt like it was running from one "scare" scene to the next. Nothing was a surprise.

3. 2-Dimensional Characters. Perhaps its a side effect of the break-neck pace of the story, but everyone is kinda reduced to stereotypes. The bully, the nerd, the brains, etc. It should also be noted that EVERY adult that makes an appearance, is just the worst. All of them. This kind of simplicity I suppose was done to the service of the "mood" but all it did for me was make everything feel less realistic than it already did. I did like Beverly though...She was probably the only exception.

4. WAY too much Pennywise. This guy, I think, had more screen time than the main character and after that much exposure, he completely lost his effectiveness. Worst of all (and perhaps I missed this in the movie), I have NO idea what his motivation was. I understand the whole "every 27 years" bit and all, but why? Why Pennywise? Why does he feed on fear? Why is he afraid of those that aren't afraid of him? Perhaps this isn't supposed to be answered until the next installment???

5. Typical Hollywood Ending. Let's all go down the well and kick ass in a huge studio set...uh, I mean, sewer! While we are down there, lets watch the kids separate themselves again to have another "scary moment" before the big finale. The bully (well acted asshole) dies in the most anti-climatic way. Pennywise similarly gets the boot but at least they got their end with a kickass background of floating bodies and a really neat set...I mean stage...never mind.

6. Poor Styling. I've already mentioned the pacing and the telegraphing and that is all part of the style in which the movie was shot. The film felt like it borrowed every modern horror-movie cliche...how many times have we seen a baddie stand still in the distance only to RUN to the camera for a scare? How many times did Pennywise do that? Lost count...Again, no patience and very little sense of dread even with the CONSTANT musical score reminding us that we are supposed to be spooked. The movie was directed safely...no chances were taken in terms of direction, score, or characters.

Having said all that, I do look forward to the conclusion...The main kids were very watchable and strangely familiar even though I've never seen any of them except "Mike" from Stranger Things. I suppose the conclusion won't include them which is a shame but I am at least intrigued with the general story to watch the next but (I must admit) I'm not on pins or needles waiting for it.

GhaleonEB

It is really good. I'm halfway through the audiobook, and it makes me wish they did a 10-12 hour long episode series on HBO that was much more faithful to the book so that the town of Derry and the main characters could really be developed well.

I really hope we get some "interlude" type of extras released online in the run up to part 2's release. Would be a great way to cover some of the material about Derry that probably won't fit into directly into the narrative of the film.

He repeats Bill's mantra, doesn't he?

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the... ... fear..."

Oh, that's cool!

Man, I can't believe how hard it is to get people to see this movie with me :D I want to see it a second time but they all either think it's going to be too scary, too much fantasy/absurd, too this, too that. It was the same with Fury Road back then for kinda similar reasons, haha.

Kopite

Watched it again and this time it bothers me how incompetent and lazy Pennywise is when he goes after the Losers when they're alone initially. He corners Eddie outside the house...and then just disappears? And he misses a lunge on Bill and just calls it a day? In the book the Loser's survive their encounters using their wits, here it seems like Pennywise had read the script so he never tried hard.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, I found the opening sequence with Georgie to be *profoundly* difficult to watch. I have issues with bad things happen to young kids, and his screaming really fucking sold that scene for me. Everything else seemed tame after that.

He repeats Bill's mantra, doesn't he?

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the... ... fear..."
I thought the same thing, but on my third viewing I noticed he cuts it off sooner.

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists....fear

Still confused as hell. He went out like a bit of a chump.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, the movie not being just completely horror really appealed to me since i dont really go out of my way to see just another scary movie.

Yea she was molested which is unnerving because in the book he physically beats her but never molests her. I wonder how the conversation went in regards to changing how her father treats her.
Watched the film. I liked it as a "scary monster" film but didn't much care for it as a fan of the book. The film was good for cheap scares and is fairly solid standing on its own, but seems terrified at the idea of making a viewer genuinely uncomfortable outside of that one scene involving Bev and the pharmacist, and that whole brief exploration into skeeviness has zero narrative payoff in the end so why even bother.

Complaints below spoilers for the movie

There's two big things I think the film really got wrong.

Thing #1: Derry in the book is a diseased place representing everything wrong with a small to mid sized American town. People participating in and enabling racism, homophobia, child abuse, and everything else you can think of. IT feeds off of this like a parasite, and the adults (plus kids like Henry) are complicit in its periodical reigns of terror. The film has some of this stuff, but never goes far enough for it to come to the forefront in order to drive the point home and make the viewer genuinely uncomfortable. There's only once scene of adults ignoring Henry's bullying. The farthest we get into racism is one scene where Henry calls Mike an "outsider". No one says the N-word, we don't delve into the racial motivations behind the Black Spot, we don't see Henry kill Mike's dog then get a pat on the back from his racist dad about it. Bev's dad is creepy, but he never escalates into full blown child abuse until near the end of the film. The end result is that Derry lacks any sort of character as being this awful pit of evil that IT would gleefully nest in, instead it's just a town with some creepy buildings where stuff happens. It feels like a lot of this was excised because the producers were scared at the idea of making any viewers genuinely uncomfortable with anything outside of IT's multiple scary and gross forms. I watched the RedLetterMedia review of the film after getting home, and their half-criticism of calling this a "marketable film" is very on point in that regard.

Thing #2: The book is sort of an homage to a lot of old monster books and films. Something a lot of old school monster books and films have in common that was shared in the book is that there is a pretty clear progression of "monster shows up and no one know what to do about it oh my god"->"characters think about how the monster behaves and how they can counter it"->"characters act on plans to fight back against the monster and are successful". In the book this is shown through how they first hurt IT by tricking it into taking the shape of a werewolf, and also in other ways (and weirder ways, but I'm not going to fault the movie for not including un-filmable things). In the movie, they mostly just beat IT up with whatever random rubbish happens to be lying around at the time, there's no thinking in their actions. This turns "fighting fear with reason and courage" into "fighting fear with a fight or flight reaction", which is much less interesting.

Then there's lesser things like completely excising any theme of sexual discovery/empowerment. Every near-sexual action involving Bev in the film is something done TO her, even right at the end of the film when Bill kisses her it's something that she doesn't initiate. You don't have to include the whole "child gangbang" scene (and its good they left it out cause that was weird as heck), but at least have her initiate something on her own outside of quoting a dorky poem. Then in the last act Bev just gets kidnapped by IT so they can tie up all the conflicts involving everyone else in the Losers in two minutes and run off to the final act, while also I guess giving an excuse to show the Deadlights a bit so they don't come out of nowhere in the second film. All this adds up to what is essentially character assassination for Bev when you compare her to her character in the book.

One other minor gripe: With the racism mostly gone and with all the "Derry history" stuff given to Ben, Mike has been entirely reduced to "token black character" and I don't even know why he's still in the film outside of having a token black character.

I agree with all of this, especially the last part.

Weiss

Banned
Saw it yesterday and I really liked it.

Genuinely terrifying at times (the flute player... agh!) and the kids do a great job acting.

Crazy thing because strictly going off of the trailer, the 1990 version follows the book very closely.

But then the final product....yea....

So was Beverlies dad just a creep or did he molest her? :(

In the book he only beats her...severely...constantly, he wanted her to stay pure because he felt that as soon as she had sex she was no longer his daughter as she had been defiled (When It takes a hold of him, he is insistent on checking if Beverly was still "intact". But in the movie they definitely insinuate dude has molested her, or at the very least felt on her a few times.

Top Bottom