• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stern Pinball Arcade Launches Tuesday, Nov. 15th on PS4!

HotHamBoy

EDIT: Xbox One, too!

So this is weird! Despite no announcement from Farsight or Stern, I saw this on the Playstation Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/11/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-11152016/

Stern Pinball Arcade
PS4 — Digital

30268056753_38396b4cd8.jpg

Stern Pinball Arcade is the most realistic and accurate pinball game ever created! Stern Pinball Inc has created many of the all-time greatest pinball tables. They are the most experienced and largest producer of real pinball machines in business today!

Note that Mustang is featured in the picture. Seems like it will launch alongside Star Trek and AC/DC.

This is a big deal for Pinball fans as we have been waiting for this release for quite awhile. This is made by Farsight in partnership with Stern, so it's an evolution of the same software that powers The Pinball Arcade. This is a seperate, standalone release. Some Stern-owned TPA tables will come over to SPA updated, but you will have to buy them again. SPA will focus on digital adaptations of new Stern tables. Ghostbusters is coming soon! Stern's licensing agreements allow them to adapt tables like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and the upcoming Batman '66 tables, too. This also means that The Pinball Arcade will not receive any more Stern-owned games, those will be SPA-exclusives (this includes Data East and Sega tables).

Previously, Stern Pinball Arcade has only been available on Gear VR and it was a questionable release that struggles to perform. Other platforms will be coming soon, including PC and mobile.

No mention on table pricing, but if it follows the model in the Gear VR version then Frankenstein will be free, other older tables will be $5 (same as The Pinball Arcade) and new games like AC/DC will be $10. That may seem like a lot (and it is) but the real tables cost about $6,000-$8,000!

So is there going to be a basic version that just gives you a couple of tables up front? Or do you have to buy the $40 package.

Wait, $10 a table? I get licensing is a beast and all, but man...that's steep.

HotHamBoy

$40 gets me what? Four tables?

I was just wondering that. It seems to me that the digital version will be free with Frankenstein and the other 3 tables will be $10/each. The physical version is $40 because it contains 1 exclusive "Limited Edition" version of Star Trek and 2 exclusive LE versions of AC/DC.

So is there going to be a basic version that just gives you a couple of tables up front? Or do you have to buy the $40 package.

Wait, $10 a table? I get licensing is a beast and all, but man...that's steep.

It is expensive but this is nothing new for digital pinball. Plenty of digital pinball games back in the PS1 days were $30 for 1-2 tables. Games like Pokemon Pinball, Kirby Pinball and Metroid Pinball had 2-3 tables for $30.

Well-designed pinball tables have tons of depth and replayability. It's quite deceiving to an inexperienced player. I've gotten more hours out of a single good digital pinball table than I have many of the full games I own.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Excited but weary of Farsight stretching itself even MORE thin.
Be prepared to deal with bugs going unfixed for months, if ever, and to be disappointed something with a base this solid has to be marred by all sort of problems... and god help ya if you're in EU!

HotHamBoy

Excited but weary of Farsight stretching itself even MORE thin.
Be prepared to deal with bugs going unfixed for months, if ever, and to be disappointed something with a base this solid has to be marred by all sort of problems... and god help ya if you're in EU!

Yes, this has been my concern, too. I am not really a fan of Farsight and how bad they are at communcating or tackling bugs.

But who the hell else is adapting real pinball tables for consoles and mobile?

Bog

Junior Ace
I like buying the physical pinball discs when I can in case licensing runs out. But not for $32.

It is expensive but this is nothing new for digital pinball. Plenty of digital pinball games back in the PS1 days were $30 for 1-2 tables. Games like Pokemon Pinball, Kirby Pinball and Metroid Pinball had 2-3 tables for $30.

Well-designed pinball tables have tons of depth and replayability. It's quite deceiving to an inexperienced player. I've gotten more hours out of a single good digital pinball table than I have many of the full games I own.

Yeah, I've spent a ton of time on TPA but still feel burnt because none of the stuff I bought on PS3 carried over. With the whole "You can play Stern tables here but only if you rebuy them" thing. I just don't feel good about supporting that.

Not going to fault anyone else who wants to buy it, because really, what other option do you have? But it's not for me.

It's pretty cool they're going after those modern machines. I doubt I'll ever get to see a physical version of that NBA machine, so I'd be cool if they made that digital. But yesh at the rest of this. The prices for the last couple of Pinball Arcade seasons have been borderline for me. These tables prices and them being in their own separate game? Not a big fan.

HotHamBoy

Yeah, I've spent a ton of time on TPA but still feel burnt because none of the stuff I bought on PS3 carried over. With the whole "You can play Stern tables here but only if you rebuy them" thing. I just don't feel good about supporting that.

Not going to fault anyone else who wants to buy it, because really, what other option do you have? But it's not for me.

Well, i personally didn't think Frankenstein or Star Ship Troopers really warranted a repurchase based on my experience with The Stern Pinball Arcade in Gear VR. You don't have to buy the old ones again, just get the new ones.

Data East...they made the Jurassic Park pinball table I'm pretty sure. So, maybe there's hope for this coming to Stern!

They did! That's been a high-demand table for The Pinball Arcade for years but licensing seems like a big hurdle. I don't think that table is good enough to warrant a kickstarter like Addams Family, T2, Twilight Zone and Dr. Who did.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yes, this has been my concern, too. I am not really a fan of Farsight and how bad they are at communcating or tackling bugs.

But who the hell else is adapting real pinball tables for consoles and mobile?

Zaccaria Pinball is amazing but unfortunately the tables aren't equally interesting to me.
But yeah, that's the reason I put up eith their shananigans but at least I'm done supporting them on 4 even 5 platforms with full seasons after they've constantly mishandled releases (and zero communication) on X360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU and constantly shitting on EU customers (WiiU version doesn't even exist over here, was supposed to come out 2 weeks later US... that was like what, 7 months ago? lol).
I've stopped buying every table, got every table out on 360, 4 seasons on iOS and 2 seasons on PS4. I'm now just
getting tables I like on iOS/PS4 and wait for Steam sales and always waut a week to see if the new tables are bugs ridden.

I like buying the physical pinball discs when I can in case licensing runs out. But not for $32.

AFAIK,Terminator 2: Judgement Day’s license will be the very first to expire mid-2017. Who knows if they'll be interested in renew it or even allowed to.
But at this point there are just too many licensed tables out there to counter it with buying the few phisical Seasons of TPA released, at least if you game on PC you know you'll always have them as long as you've bought them pre-delisting.

antibolo

Banned
I used to like Pinball Arcade but their dumbass decision to cut off the cross-buy between PS3+Vita and PS4 left a bad taste in my mouth.

They really shot themselves in the foot when they decided to do that.

HotHamBoy

Zaccaria Pinball is amazing but unfortunately the tables aren't equally interesting to me.
But yeah, that's the reason I put up eith their shananigans but at least I'm done supporting them on 4 even 5 platforms with full seasons after they've constantly mishandled releases (and zero communication) on X360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU and constantly shitting on EU customers (WiiU version doesn't even exist over here, was supposed to come out 2 weeks later US... that was like what, 7 months ago? lol).
I've stopped buying every table, got every table out on 360, 4 seasons on iOS and 2 seasons on PS4. I'm now just
getting tables I like on iOS/PS4 and wait for Steam sales and always waut a week to see if the new tables are bugs ridden.

AFAIK,Terminator 2: Judgement Day’s license will be the very first to expire mid-2017. Who knows if they'll be interested in renew it or even allowed to.
But at this point there are just too many licensed tables out there to counter it with buying the few phisical Seasons of TPA released, at least if you game on PC you know you'll always have them as long as you've bought them pre-delisting.

I buy every table for my iPad because I like being able to play anywhere, in portrait mode, even though the graphics aren't as nice. But I also get every table on release, the console versions are wayyyyyy behind. I could understand giving up on TPA if I was limited to consoles. At least PC and mobile get a new table every month. I can spare $5/mo since real pinball is so hard to come by where I live.

I do have the first season on all my Sony consoles. Maybe I'll buy the others if they go on sale again. More likely I'll build a mini Virtual Pin and buy everything on Steam.... one day...

Weevilone

Yes, can't support that.

I was buying them on Steam, iOS, and PS3+Vita. It was dumb, but they had my money.. lots of it.

After they dropped the cross-buy with PS4, I stopped buying them at all. Now and then, if there is some half price sale on Steam, or if I can stack discounts on PS cards + $15 back on $100 spent then I'll pick up a few PS4 tables.

They are clearly stretched thin, as PS4 has never really been great for these anyways. Too bad, as I once really enjoyed them. I wasn't even aware of the Stern thing.. meh. Looks like the whole thing is even shittier now, and I didn't think it was possible.

I used to like Pinball Arcade but their dumbass decision to cut off the cross-buy between PS3+Vita and PS4 left a bad taste in my mouth.

They really shot themselves in the foot when they decided to do that.

I think I was at GDC Next in LA a few years ago and someone from the developer damn near went off on me for even asking that. Said something about the new lighting for next gen.
I felt bad afterwards for even asking with how he said that to me...

I think I was at GDC Next in LA a few years ago and someone from the developer damn near went off on me for even asking that. Said something about the new lighting for next gen.
I felt bad afterwards for even asking with how he said that to me...

:/

I don't understand it. I guess their licensing model is complicated, but they would get a LOT more of my money if I knew I could play the PS4 table on Vita as well.

They must understand their market better, but they lost out on me at least.

Bog

Junior Ace
I remember how excited I'd be for new table announcements. Now I don't even really care that there's a full Stern release.

bigkrev

So I downloaded the PS4 version and the Star Trek Table. I think there is a glitch?

In the spot for both Pop Bumper hits needed and the Match at the end, it displaces a gigantic number instead of the actual numbers

You can even see in the Match area that the number is running off the display!

This happened after a reboot of the game as well. Hope they fix it!

JP

Was surprised and pleased too see this earlier on PSN until I saw who was making it. I just don't think that I can be bothered with their games anymore, I just find them so frustrating and I know that maybe a year down the line that I'll regret starting yet another product with them.

I'd love them to do better than they did previously but I just don't see that happening. :(

HotHamBoy

Was surprised and pleased too see this earlier on PSN until I saw who was making it. I just don't think that I can be bothered with their games anymore, I just find them so frustrating and I know that maybe a year down the line that I'll regret starting yet another product with them.

I'd love them to do better than they did previously but I just don't see that happening. :(

The sad thing is that it's Farsight or nothing. Their product support is total garbage but no one else is adapting these real pinball games for digital.

Those Star Trek screens look insanely dark. Way too dark. I played Frankenstein and it wasn't that bad. The ball looks way too dark and grey on all of them. Lighting is flat and shitty, too. Anyone try the other new tables? Any impressions?

$40 bundle for 10 tables isn't bad unless you have 7 of those tables in TPA (which I do). In which case it seems it's better to just buy the 3 new Sterns for $30? It's shitty that there isn't a discounted bundle for just those 3 tables since the new versions of the old tables don't really seem improved.

It's also super shitty that there's no demos for the tables. At $10 each you should be able to try before you buy, like you can in TPA and Zen. I know the real life tables are fun but I don't want to gamble on Farsight's quality control.

antibolo

Banned
Speaking of Farsight sucking, I'm still waiting for my PS3+Vita version of the Doctor Who table I backed on KS. They released the mobile and PC version a while ago and now they won't talk about the console versions at all.

HotHamBoy

I BOUGHT BUNDLE #1 ON PS4 - Full Impressions:

This bundle comes with Star Trek, AC/DC, Starship Troopers and Ripley's Believe It Or Not for $19.99

Let's get this out of the way first: THE OLD PINBALL ARCADE TABLES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!

I have Season 1 of TPA on PS4 and was able to do a direct comparison with Ripley's. Everything is the same, EVEN THE PHYSICS, WHICH TPA PS4 HAS NOT UPDATED TO 3.0 FLIPPER PHYSICS. In fact, even the mobile version has updated some tables, like Monster Bash, to the new flipper physics. PS4 has not.

Starship Troopes on Stren Pinball Arcade also still has the old physics. Frankenstein does not because it was a post-Xenon table. For the record, PS4 TPA is still running the old UI. That's how out of date it is.

Want more proof that these are untouched from the TPA versions? The DMD display on the old tables still shows individual dots, the new Stern table DMDs do not.

Bottom line, don't buy the old tables if you already have them, they are unchanged in any way beyond the fake room environment. Here's a curious thing: The ball is gun-metal dark on every table I've tried except for SST. The ball looks proper shiny and really good on that table. It should also be known that the ball looks too dark in TPA for PS4 but not as bad as SPA.

Now, on to the new tables:

I'm 90% sure Star Trek's lighting is just straight-up busted. It is way too dark, as others have pointed out, but in the screenshots on PSN it looks fantastic. Something isn't working right. The multiball disco lights are definitely busted. Rather than red points of light it casts dark specks.

AC/DC looks pretty good by comparison and matches the screen shots.

In general, I'm really unimpressed with the lighting on Star Trek and AC/DC. It still looks really baked-in and the lighting doesn't seem to actually illuminate the surrounding objects, including the ball. There seems to be no interaction whatsoever.

Gameplay/physics-wise, things are feeling pretty good. That said, I'm really not noticing an improvement over TPA's.

Farsight has really over-sold this. In the case of what they implied regarding improvements to older tables they pretty much just lied.

I would recommend NOT buying these tables. Who knows when they will fix things? Who knows how often we will see updates and improvements to the PS4 version?

If you are still hard-set on the tables, I suggest buying the three new tables for $30 and save your $10, the old tables are not worth it unless you don't have them already. Even then, I'd at least wait to see what they do about Star Trek and how quickly.

Top Bottom