• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steroids are rampant among fitness influencers, trainers and bodybuilders say. Most use in secret, claiming their gains come from workouts and diet pl

Jose92

[Membe

In my opinion these influncours are very dangerous on our Society causing body dysmorphia for plenty of people.

As someone who have been training naturally for many years, I started seeing a shift in the expectation of the general public on what to be expected from training naturally.

Some people seem to think that you will gain muscle indefinitely. And they don't understand that building muscle takes time and dedication.

There should be a law that prevents people from lying to sell their "Diets" and "Plans".

Last edited:
I had a roommate, one time he always told me how he made exercise all weekdays to be fit. One time I started to notice him using long sleeve shirts and similar, which I never paid attention to until I saw some black spots, then I understood why.

Just look at The Rock lol. Just look at Wolverine in his 50s. Look at Joe Rogan. It's tons of people, like almost everyone in entertainment. Look at that Indian guy in the Eternals whose whole face changed over a short period of time.

I will say though, I think attitudes have permanently shifted on this almost single handedly because of Joe Rogan, who is quite open about it. A lot of people are making the argument that it's better to use illegal PEDs to keep you younger throughout your 50s, if used carefully in low levels. It's possible some of them may even have a point, or we just haven't seen the full extent of the side effects play out yet. And tons of people will not have access to a personal doctor that gives them customized advice. We're going to see an explosion in this stuff for a decade or more.

There's a whole youtube industry now of channels that call out "fake natties," and they're honestly great channels. You can learn a lot by subscribing to More Plates More Dates, and Greg Doucette (if you can stand his voice lol, he's pretty funny though). It's rampant throughout instagram, youtube, etc.

From my personal experience though, most average people at the gym these days seem to be doing fine. I see less psycho lifters, and more people doing cardio and a balanced workout. I think back in the day, some people actually thought Arnold and Ronnie Coleman were natural and had some major delusions of what they were going to accomplish.

Last edited:
It's up to the individual to realize that they don't need to keep up with the Joneses.

The fitness gurus, the Kardashians, the constant bombardment to consume, it's all the same shit. It's nearly impossible to tell what's real and what's fake, and it'll always be that way. You can change your sex if you want to.

Don't worry about influencers.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Influencers aren't even the main culprit here. Hollywood has been doing the same thing for years now. Steroid usage is crazy rampant everywhere.
For most non-lifting people this is of next to no importance. But I hate what this does for lifting people like me. Seriously, we are at a point where when you lift and AREN'T jacked a shit, many people do not even believe that you work out properly. It's insane. For a long time this pissed me off to no end but I honestly just stopped caring. By now I train exclusivly with hoodie and long joggings.

Last edited:
Young, works out constantly. In his prime.

the-rock-759.jpg

Then throughout his late 40s just started eating a lot of broccoli and chicken I guess when your body starts losing muscle mass after 40 lol. Eat your vegetables and you too can put on 20-30 lbs of muscle with no bodyfat gains.

therock-5-1109.jpg

lifa-cobex

Influencers aren't even the main culprit here. Hollywood has been doing the same thing for years now. Steroid usage is crazy rampant everywhere.
For most non-lifting people this is of next to no importance. But I hate what this does for lifting people like me. Seriously, we are at a point where when you lift and AREN'T jacked a shit, many people do not even believe that you work out properly. It's insane. For a long time this pissed me off to no end but I honestly just stopped caring. By now I train exclusivly with hoodie and long joggings.
Excited Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Parks And Recreation GIF

Yup.
It really used to piss me off too. I try to eat well and lift four times a week bit I don't have a hope in hell unless I roid up.

Parks And Recreation GIF

Yup.
It really used to piss me off too. I try to eat well and lift four times a week bit I don't have a hope in hell unless I roid up.
Personally, I've never wanted to be that big. I've always thought the most in shape people at your typical gym are the hardcore gym girls that do a ton of cardio and also crush it on the weights. None of them are really that big, and just look 10x healthier.

To be that big you're eating like 3-4k calories a day and taking naps. It just sounds ridiculous, instead of having tons of energy.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Parks And Recreation GIF

Yup.
It is what it is.
I train 5 times a week and really do eat well but am not huge and do not have a perfect 6 pack. Had MANY people straight out ignoring what I say because apparently I don't look the like...

It's straight out depressing, especially when you love this sport like I do. But, whatever.

lifa-cobex

Personally, I've never wanted to be that big. I've always thought the most in shape people at your typical gym are the hardcore gym girls that do a ton of cardio and also crush it on the weights. None of them are really that big, and just look 10x healthier.

To be that big you're eating like 3-4k calories a day and taking naps. It just sounds ridiculous, instead of having tons of energy.
It's not so much about getting that look.
Of course I think most of use would train up to get that look if it was straight forward exercise and eating well without those side effects.

It's more towards what OP and JimmyRustler pointed out. Hollywood, Influences, media and trainers are all doing this shit when we all blatantly know it involves steroids.
It's the same shit that women go through with glamour mags and such. Blatant photoshops all around.

It's the lie that gets pushed which pisses me off.

lifa-cobex

It is what it is.
I train 5 times a week and really do eat well but am not huge and do not have a perfect 6 pack. Had MANY people straight out ignoring what I say because apparently I don't look the like...

It's straight out depressing, especially when you love this sport like I do. But, whatever.
I think I've had three different people tell me that what i'm doing is wrong.
I go to the gym. Somebody corrects me. Fair enough. I'm a noob.
A week or so later and someone corrects that. The process keeps repeating itself.

I now only work out at home. It completely put me off going to the gym.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think I've had three different people tell me that what i'm doing is wrong.
I go to the gym. Somebody corrects me. Fair enough. I'm a noob.
A week or so later and someone corrects that. The process keeps repeating itself.

I now only work out at home. It completely put me off going to the gym.
Yeah, I know that. It can be annoying. Many people do mean well though as by doing something wrong you can actually injure yourself. But some time you actually injure yourself when you follow a gym bros advice.
My best advice for you is to stick to the advice from personal trainers for starters. You can always adapt later on.

lifa-cobex

Yeah, I know that. It can be annoying. Many people do mean well though as by doing something wrong you can actually injure yourself. But some time you actually injure yourself when you follow a gym bros advice.
My best advice for you is to stick to the advice from personal trainers for starters. You can always adapt later on.
That's exactly it.
The first guy seemed friendly enough.
It was the other two that had that smug sense of "I know more than the trainer" attitude.
The third guy said the trainer is making sure you develop as slowly as possible so you spend more time at the gym.
That was the breaking point for me.

I'm happy enough at home.
I got a bench press, few wights and a pull up bar. Good enough for me.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It is what it is.

Yup, I train 6 days a week and even if I'm fit looking, it pisses me off that I'm turned down because I'm not muscular enough.

Sabotage

Parks And Recreation GIF

Yup.
This of course *could* be roids, but it's not impressive if it is.

Drop to a low enough body fat % and nearly every guy in the world would look like that

Lying about roids and natural gains is of course wrong
OTOH - western societies have been fat for so long that almost anyone with a 6 pack is immediately labelled as roid user.

Influencers can get fucked. They're ruining things at so many levels. I don't pay attention to any of those assholes.

I work out because I like to be fit, healthy, and I really enjoy it. I don't give a shit about the looks part of it. I look relatively fit but I think in that aspect I might've just gotten a bit lucky in the genetics lottery. But I also eat well, so maybe that helps too? I don't know, I'm not a nutritionist, I just know what works for me...

lifa-cobex

This of course *could* be roids, but it's not impressive if it is.

Drop to a low enough body fat % and nearly every guy in the world would look like that

Lying about roids and natural gains is of course wrong
OTOH - western societies have been fat for so long that almost anyone with a 6 pack is immediately labelled as roid user.

People without body fat would be akin to this...
sexy singer songwriter GIF by Nilüfer Yanya

I've been to enough raves in my life time to witness people who haven't eaten for a while and are only running on party drugs.
You have to workout.
In the time that he got from that fat on Parks and Rec to buff as fuck in Guardians...I'm putting money on roids.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So does Hollywood. That is the "secret" to their shedding and bulking in mere months.

But they try and sell you workout routines and "diets of the stars" in the magazines, when in reality it is cycles and HGH.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hollywood actors gaining muscles in 3 months to shot superhero movies are not exactly helping with this.

Steroids are the easy (sort of) way but when you listen all the possible downsides, you have to be fucked in the mind to even try...

MikeM

There comes a point where fitness isn’t healthy anymore. PEDs are the first step into that, and long term use is basically taking days off your life. You don’t need it, but we live in a world where appearance is king, regardless of the cost.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I had a roommate, one time he always told me how he made exercise all weekdays to be fit. One time I started to notice him using long sleeve shirts and similar, which I never paid attention to until I saw some black spots, then I understood why.
What are the black spots all about? From what I've learnt you administer the dose via a hypodermic needle into a fleshy part of the body namely the thighs or buttocks, unless you're taking it orally of course.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Pussy juice is rampant more than ever these days. What worries me is you see gym goers younger than ever sticking this shit into there bodies without giving a single thought to the possible long term damage they're doing to there organs.

Athlean x claims he is natural.

EmR3bNJ.gif
man if ingesting pussy juice helped you build muscle I should be Hulk Hogan by now

SpiceRacz

Pussy juice is rampant more than ever these days. What worries me is you see gym goers younger than ever sticking this shit into there bodies without giving a single thought to the possible long term damage they're doing to there organs.

Athlean x claims he is natural.

EmR3bNJ.gif

Some of his content is pretty helpful. In particular about how to avoid injuries with shoulder and back movements. However, he's lying through his fucking teeth about not using.

Rat Rage

The vast majority is not natural. If you train naturally, don't train too hard and too often. Listening to these roid-up youtubers can give you a false sense of workout volume. Train smart, listen to your body and, most importantly, give your body enough time to heal between workout sessions, which is something people on roids don't need to worry about, but is very important for the natural lifter.
Lastly, be aware that buiding your body naturally takes longer and that you won't see huge gains all the time. That isn't a bad thing: afterall working out should become a lifestyle and not a temporary endeavour to gain as much muscle as possible in as little time as possible.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean, go to any gym and they are rampant too.

Lots of random dudes buying/selling PEDs all around. Been offered them several times.

zeorhymer

The supplement industry is rampant in them too. Lots of them have traces of steroids or steroid like compounds in them and you wouldn't even know it.

A lot of people are making the argument that it's better to use illegal PEDs to keep you younger throughout your 50s, if used carefully in low levels. It's possible some of them may even have a point, or we just haven't seen the full extent of the side effects play out yet.

I hate to be pedantic and you had an excellent post over-all, but boosting your testosterone or GH levels above physiological baseline, as must be done to see the muscular gains discussed, is actually aging you biologically. This can be seen in methylation clock studies. It's well established in the field that longevity is coupled to lower hormone levels. This can be seen in the calorie restriction-independent lifespan extension of Ames dwarf mice that are deficient in growth hormone (GH), prolactin (PRL), and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).

It would appear that you can either life fast and busy or long and slow. There is as yet, no way to cheat this paradigm.

Braag

This has been the case for a long ass time. Funny thing is, according to studies in your average gym 1 out of 6 people is using gear. People who absolutely don't look like they're using anything are actually using some sort of gear. And obviously the biggest guy in the gym with the biggest traps you've seen, claims he's 100% natty.

I hate to be pedantic and you had an excellent post over-all, but boosting your testosterone or GH levels above physiological baseline, as must be done to see the muscular gains discussed, is actually aging you biologically. This can be seen in methylation clock studies. It's well established in the field that longevity is coupled to lower hormone levels. This can be seen in the calorie restriction-independent lifespan extension of Ames dwarf mice that are deficient in growth hormone (GH), prolactin (PRL), and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).

It would appear that you can either life fast and busy or long and slow. There is as yet, no way to cheat this paradigm.
Yeah, no one should take my post as gospel on any of that. And I'm not going to do any PEDs. I just know that tons of people watch Joe Rogan and he basically advocates for it. Even the two youtube channels I listed that call out fake natties both use PEDs. There's going to be an explosion of people saying it's worth the tradeoff to look good until you're 55.

I'm not one of those people, but they definitely exist.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Yeah, no one should take my post as gospel on any of that. And I'm not going to do any PEDs. I just know that tons of people watch Joe Rogan and he basically advocates for it. Even the two youtube channels I listed that call out fake natties both use PEDs. There's going to be an explosion of people saying it's worth the tradeoff to look good until you're 55.

I'm not one of those people, but they definitely exist.
I'm pretty sure Joe Rogan just advocates taking testosterone replacement therapy when your natural levels drop off, because of the negative effects of having low testosterone. I intend on going on TRT when my natural levels drop.

zeorhymer

I'm pretty sure Joe Rogan just advocates taking testosterone replacement therapy when your natural levels drop off, because of the negative effects of having low testosterone. I intend on going on TRT when my natural levels drop.
You wouldn't want to be those Buzzfeed's Try Guys who had test levels like 85 year olds.

paolo11

So most of the body builders or surfer bodies use PEDS but they don’t admit to it? I didn’t know that

1 - If you think you need PEDS to get laid, you probably won't even if you take PEDS.

2 - You can achieve pretty good results (better than 90% of the population) by just exercising regularly and not eating fast food 5 times a week.

Top Bottom