• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jobs on HDTV, "I finally cracked it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Shogmaster said:
iphonetv.jpg
:lol

AkuMifune

Banned
People mocked the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad before they were released too. I will wait until iTV is a confirmed disaster before making a fool out of myself....again.

HDTVs are horrible. The calibration required to get your hd console or bluray player to take full advantage of your television is reason enough for a streamlined Apple HDTV.

DJ88

This thread sounds like the same old same old comments you always hear about a new Apple product. It happened with the iPod, with the iPhone, and the iPad. "Sure it will be cool, but cost twice as much" "Easy to use, but half the features" blah blah blah. We've heard all of this countless times before and yet every time once the product is used out in the real world, it takes over and changes everything we thought we knew about mp3 players/phones/tablets. You'd think people would learn by now, but here we are again. "What's wrong with what works now? Remotes and channels are fine." "What's wrong with my windows mobile smartphone? It already does everything I need".

If this TV does indeed become a reality true to Job's vision, I can already see this thread looking very similar to something like this.

(Pretty fun read)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

sangreal

Give me a better way to navigate through the hundreds of channels + VOD and I am there. I can search my STB, but the search is awful. I can browse, but I have to go through each premium channel separately. I can use my iPod as a remote, but its just a crappy 1:1 clone. Give me a true visual touchscreen remote and I am there. The idea of "channels" is useless in this day and age

Also, sexy design and pre-calibrate it

DasRaven

If it comes in 55"+ (unlike my current 46") and has great black levels (full array LED local dimming like my current), I'll be there day one. Day minus one if it comes with the appleTV's excellent Netflix interface.

dream

DJ88 said:
This thread sounds like the same old same old comments you always hear about a new Apple product. It happened with the iPod, with the iPhone, and the iPad. "Sure it will be cool, but cost twice as much" "Easy to use, but half the features" blah blah blah. We've heard all of this countless times before and yet every time once the product is used out in the real world, it takes over and changes everything we thought we knew about mp3 players/phones/tablets. You'd think people would learn by now, but here we are again. "What's wrong with what works now? Remotes and channels are fine." "What's wrong with my windows mobile smartphone? It already does everything I need".

If this TV does indeed become a reality true to Job's vision, I can already see this thread looking very similar to something like this.

(Pretty fun read)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

This is a fun read too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385837&page=67

Salvor.Hardin said:
HDTVs are horrible. The calibration required to get your hd console or bluray player to take full advantage of your television is reason enough for a streamlined Apple HDTV.

I agree it's annoying but I'm not sure how an Apple HDTV would fix that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Quadrangulum said:
I agree it's annoying but I'm not sure how an Apple HDTV would fix that.

Which is why you're not making products at Apple!

Davidion

Still surprised there isn't more mobile/tablet + TV integration. I suppose the icloud would have been the ideal nexus for the system and it coming online would have just been the next step.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I already discussed this. I told you not to count it out. LKBAP counted it out and here he is championing the possibility.

sfedai0

Banned
My hope for future home entertainment and the technology we use in our daily lives is that it becomes even more streamlined and intuitive. Signs are already pointing in that direction with MS Kinect, DD and streaming content, and the advent of speech recognition coupled with search engine capabilities like Siri.

I can imagine all that in a home entertainment setup where a remote would be a relic of the past. My tv can already do half those things.

Bboy AJ said:
I already discussed this. I told you not to count it out. LKBAP counted it out and here he is championing the possibility.
I trust Steve Jobs to know what Steve Jobs is planning rather than Gene Munster who's been randomly guessing about this thing for like a decade. :) Roll the dice enough and eventually you'll get the desired result.

sangreal

Davidion said:
Still surprised there isn't more mobile/tablet + TV integration. I suppose the icloud would have been the ideal nexus for the system and it coming online would have just been the next step.

There is a lot, it just isn't any good. I can control my TV,Receiver,STB and schedule recordings on my DVR all from my iPod over wifi. They're all just remote clones though, rather than taking advantage of the interface

Davidion

sangreal said:
There is a lot, it just isn't any good. I can control my TV,Receiver,STB and schedule recordings on my DVR all from my iPod over wifi. They're all just remote clones though, rather than taking advantage of the interface

Right, that's what I meant. Looking at it from a system perspective, there really needs to be that nexus or hub that I mentioned before to move that base-level interaction away from the traditional remote functionality. With the center of the Apple ecosystem moving to the cloud, it makes sense for the shift to move in that direction as opposed to apple TV which many people thought would be the bridge that Apple uses to get into the living room.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Cereal KiIIer said:
Pretty simple
y2Npe.png
Yeah, I own one of these and it's crap for the following reasons.

1. Resistive Touchscreen that's worse than DS Phat.
Really slow to respond and you have to give a decent push.
It's also incredibly fragile. It cracked from falling onto carpet and half is unusable now.
It's old, it really needs a new kind of LCD in there. Especially for what they charge for this thing. Hitting some of the smaller buttons like Help and Devices is actually kind of difficult to do consistently.

2. Dat Logitech Software
Years later and they're still using this crap? Too many menus, slow, and ugly.
AND I had to set everything up again despite using other Harmony remotes. Apparently the settings couldn't transfer over despite everything being exactly the same.

I would never give this kind of device to anyone that doesn't have some technical thinking skill like my mom without setting it up for them. Way too much of a hassle for them.

I'm about to sell it and get a standard Harmony like the One because, well, I still need a remote, like it or not.
I want to try the new Harmony link for my iPad. The terrible early reviews for it have been holding me back.

Would love for Apple or another company to clean it up.

Did anyone read the OP? He isn't talking about creating an Apple HDTV. He's talking about creating a HDTV that integrates a lot of different devices into one intuitive and easy to use HDTV. Thats what Jobs did best.

cory.

Banned
Apple TV but with an iOS inferface (ie you can put icons for your most frequented channels) and cable company support + barebones iPod touch type thing with next gen haptics as remote

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've always thought the logical conclusion was just airplay mirroring for OSX.
At least for me. Goddamn want that so bad.

sangreal said:
I do not understand why this is not the case, even on high-end displays

You just can't calibrate a TV and it be equal across all displays. There is a variance such as the screen itself, temperature, lighting condition and so forth that affect how you calibrate a screen.

sangreal said:

Some are though like Pioneer.

IMG_0227_1.png

5.jpg

Ether_Snake said:
How is using a TV complicated? lol.
have you tried the "Smart TV" menu systems on most televisions? or their widgets/apps? Even the latest, most expensive ones are utterly retarded with bad interfaces, slow responses and hit/miss ease of connecting to your local network for content streaming.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I don't know what HDTV is, but if Apple invented it, it has to be innovative and cutting edge. I just hope it has good battery life.

Cyrillus

dsister44 said:
ReallY? Even my 80 year old grandmother has no problems working 3 remotes. And she can't even start a computer o_O
Having worked tech support at a telecom...trust me, remotes are very complicated for a large number of individuals.

There's nothing to crack. The answer is already available. Television is about content, and the next step is content that is accessible anytime you want. The content/cable providers don't want to play and has done their best to stymie innovation. The Apple TV and Google TV can still be expanded upon, but they've not taken off because the content/cable providers don't want them to.

ReBurn

Gold Member
At work I have a 27 inch Apple cinema display. It's nice, but they could have purchased a 42 inch LCD 1080p TV to put on my desk. Which would have been cool, too.

LCfiner

I’ll still be surprised if Apple sells a massive big screen TV. Apple has had a hard time getting TV companies to provide them with content at the prices and conditions they want (e.g.: tv show rentals and lower episode prices) and I doubt they’ll be able to get the type of a la carte pricing they would want to make a unified TV interface a reality.

Zaptruder

Banned
I see the church of Apple is in full force today.

Whether or not they're right or wrong, I do bear in mind when reading through these discussions that Apple activates the brand/team/religion loyalties parts of peoples brains more than any other company/brand/team/religion out there.

Personally I'm just wondering how is this going to be a significant difference from the Apple TV devices that they already have out there?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Marty Chinn said:
You just can't calibrate a TV and it be equal across all displays. There is a variance such as the screen itself, temperature, lighting condition and so forth that affect how you calibrate a screen.

Yes you can. Get a high end, stable image capturing device and externally use the values it measures to adjust the settings on the TV under test until it passes. These wouldn't be consumer grade products used to capture the screen. Pretty simple calibration procedure - output video source to a specific shade of blue, measure with external device, compute difference between what was measured and what it should be, adjust TV settings with proprietary software, measure again...repeat until within acceptable range, then save that setting as the TV's default setting and ship it.

TV companies probably don't do it due to cost. Imagine adding 5 minutes per TV manufactured with a bunch of expensive external hardware and software needed to do it. Consumers go after vivid neon settings anyway.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
In my house, there are two iPhones (4 and 4s), a 2010 model iPod Touch, an original iPad and an iPad 2, an old 32GB iPod Color, and a brand new 27" iMac that I'm typing this on right now.

I do not want an Apple branded TV.

If Apple wants to simplify TV they should stick with a simple set top box like AppleTV (only with vastly expanded capabilities). I don't want to buy new TVs. I like the TVs I have, and I like having the choice of what brand of TV I own.

Mik2121

rezuth said:
You do know that the Apple TV and Mac Mini has HDMI, right?
If he ever bothered doing some research, he wouldn't be able to try and troll on Apple like this.

And for the people that says that TV remotes aren't complicated... look at what I have in my home (not my photos):

3ad7d00a.jpg

This is for the TV and it has 67 buttons...

79105188.jpg

This is for the HDD recorder thing

And there's another one for some old DVD player (this is not my house btw, I only have a TV remote and then just console controllers because I never watch cable stuff).

Compare that to what Apple could easily do after seeing what they've done to MP3 players and the like, and yeah... I'm definitely looking forward to whatever they do with TVs.

I'm as big a tech nerd as anyone else here and I fucking loathe using remote controls. I hate TV remotes, I hate DVD player remotes, I hate Cable Box remotes, and I hate that there has to be a different remote for each thing you have, OR you have one remote for everything that has about 50-70 buttons on it.

If Apple and Steve have some way of making that more user friendly, go for it. Can't wait to see what they come up with, because it's sure to be a hell of a lot more intuitive then what we're using now.

dejay

Banned
TV used to be simple. HD = high drama. Nothing wrong with trying to rationalise the interface.

I don't like the idea of touch screens for remotes, because you want to be looking at the TV image as you're changing channels. This is where physical buttons still have their use. Unless of course you can show the TV image onto the remote - WiiU style. That might be the tipping point for touch screens. In which case, just have a standard interface on tablets and call it a day.

Neo C. said:
Just use the Wiimote as starting point. It can't be much easier than the Wiimote.

I got a Wiimote type thingo with my TV...

4edgE.jpg

LG call it Magic Motion. OMG it's Magic!

While it's not bad, and for navigating on screen menus it's pretty good, it's only half the battle - the interface is still all over the place and laggy. Also, this remote has only got a few buttons and that isn't enough to flick through channels - that's why they supplied a normal remote as well, which I use 99% of the time.

It was a frustrating experience entering my WiFi password when I set it up. Actually I couldn't find the MAC address on the TV until I had finished setting up the wifi, which meant I had to disable MAC filtering on my router, connect it and then turn MAC filtering back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom