• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jobs on HDTV, "I finally cracked it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

grkazan12 said:
I can definitely see apple coming out with their own television set in the near future. I mean think about it, it's the only screen in your home that they haven't conquered yet. If the design is anything like their current monitors, then I think we're going to get something really beautiful. A 50' led with an aluminum back and black border in the front would be excellent.

we already have that-

8NugN.jpg

TV's and there bezels are becoming thiner and thiner. There will be TV's with no bezels soon enough. What exactly is Apple going to innovate here? There isn't much design inovation left in the TV space IMO.

tino

Banned
Sentry said:
I wonder if Apple would ever design a camera, innovate that space. They've definitely started getting into the field with the iPhones' cameras.
LOL, and Apple will be destroyed by the Japanese. For reference see how the German camera industry was run over by the Japanese. Its a monopoly.

Apple didn't enter the harddrive muisc player business because it was a saturated business.

giga

tino said:
Apple didn't enter the harddrive muisc player business because it was a saturated business.
…

mr stroke said:
What exactly is Apple going to innovate here? There isn't much design inovation left in the TV space IMO.
Software. TV guys don't know software, just like how the music or phone guys didn't.

Flo_Evans

I waiting for apple to innovate the toilet market. I mean bowl, reservoir, flush handle! It's so confusing! There are like 500 toilets to choose from at the hardware store! Apple could really streamline the UX of taking a shit!

iCrap.

Ovid

So the iPad will be act as the remote, right. It will also act as the second screen. Once everyone has adopted the technology, broadcasters will tailor their programing to this audience. Television will then become fully interactive.

Throw in Siri and iCloud and you have totally new viewing experience. Apple can then charge higher subscription rates for iCloud too (since HD programming takes up a large amount of space).

tarius1210 said:
So the iPad will be act as the remote, right. It will also act as the second screen. Once everyone has adopted the technology, broadcasters will tailor their programing to this audience. Television will then become fully interactive.

Throw in Siri and iCloud and you have totally new viewing experience. Apple can then charge higher subscription rates for iCloud too (since HD programming takes up a large amount of space).

No, just no. We need to not get the stupid idea of flat touch screens as the center piece of a remote. Remotes need tactile feel.

kehs

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
No, just no. We need to not get the stupid idea of flat touch screens as the center piece of a remote. Remotes need tactile feel.

"Siri, raise the volume please"

Ovid

Marty Chinn said:
Sorry Marty, you're living in the 21st century now.

The remote is nostalgic ancient artifact now.

Tablets are the future. The iPad has to be an integral part of its design.

noah111

Still Alive
All we need tactile feel for is volume, and that is right there on the iPad/iPod/iPhone so you can use it to control the TV's volume. Other than that, it can all be touch, imo.

Ovid

Vilix said:
Or the iPhone or iPod touch.
Yes, definitely.

Sentry said:
All we need tactile feel for is volume, and that is right there on the iPad/iPod/iPhone so you can use it to control the TV's volume. Other than that, it can all be touch, imo.
Why? We didnt need it for the click wheel.

Timbuktu

Hari Seldon said:
It doesn't matter how good the software is, if Samsung holds back the best panels for their own TVs because they don't want to compete with Apple, then Apple is fucked.

I'd think samsung might be quite happy for Apple to come in and reinvigorate the TV market. They can sell panels to Apple, make more money and take whatever ideas they want and sell more of their own. With 3d not taking off, the TV space has been pretty stagnant. Most people with Hdtvs are probably happy with that they have, other manufacturers would be thankful if Apple piont a direction to go forward.

noah111

Still Alive
tarius1210 said:
Yes, definitely.

Why? We didnt need it for the click wheel.
Are you seriously stating this to me? The click wheel volume control = touch screen volume control?

The click wheel is still tactile even when using it solely for volume, as it's a physical shape you feel your finger over; you know your fingers' position with ease, without even looking, is the point.

tino

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

Its doable but it need to be turn on the moment you pick it up. You can't do it with an iDevice. You have to perform unlock first. Therefore its useless as a remote.

noah111

Still Alive
Obviously there would need to be a remote other than an iDevice, since not everyone who would get one should need to have an iPad/iPod/iPhone..

Their remote would probably be a mix of the IR skinny remote mixed with the multitouch of the magic mouse.

tarius1210 said:

You'll get a hoverboard and a unified money standard before this ever happens.

tarius1210 said:
Sorry Marty, you're living in the 21st century now.

The remote is nostalgic ancient artifact now.

Tablets are the future. The iPad has to be an integral part of its design.

Tactile response is not something of the past. There's a reason that people aren't going to use flat screens as their main keyboard to type even though they're here and now with the iPad and other tablets. A physical keyboard is still important today and it will be still important tomorrow. Physical controllers are still important for games despite the virtual key inputs on tablet and iPhone games. There are a number of instances where tactile feedback is a huge importance and the remote is still one of those center pieces.

I've already played with the "future" long ago when I first was looking for a great remote. I always thought touch screen remotes were the future because of how you can customize them to be any layout you want. It was then I realized how annoying they were to use because of this. People don't want to constantly look down at the remote to do something. It's a terrible idea to have to take your eyes off the screen constantly to use the remote. I'm all for maybe partial touch screen, but an entire touch screen is out of the question.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Sentry said:
I wonder if Apple would ever design a camera, innovate that space. They've definitely started getting into the field with the iPhones' cameras.
you're like, the anti-Jobs.

you would've loved the late 80s-mid 90s Apple.

venne

Flo_Evans said:
I waiting for apple to innovate the toilet market. I mean bowl, reservoir, flush handle! It's so confusing! There are like 500 toilets to choose from at the hardware store! Apple could really streamline the UX of taking a shit!

iCrap.

Check out Toto.

Copernicus said:
"Siri, raise the volume please"

Siri: [no response]

Copernicus: Siri?

*walks to TV to lower volume manually*

Copernicus: Can you hear me, Siri?

Siri: Yes, COPERNICUS. I can hear you.

Copernicus: Raise the volume please

Siri: [raises volume]

Copernicus: Its too loud Siri. Lower it a bit.

Siri: [no response]

venne

tarius1210 said:

Sounds like Microsoft's plan with Windows Phone, Kinect, and Bing on the 360.

Flo_Evans

BigNastyCurve said:
Yah, that's identical to what you quoted except it's prettier. Sorry to break it to you.
It's exactly the same, except it's fast, it displays 2x the relevant info, it's completely customizable, searchable, and controllable from anywhere.

Yes exactly the same as a cable box from 1980.

Using a tablet as a remote - Nintendo Wii U
Voice commands to control your TV - Microsoft Kinect

Yup, Apple is totally doing this

I could see them testing it in their iMacs first. Just add an HDTV tuner and a coax input on the back, then load in the tv software on there and make it integrate with everything else on the computer. See how well it does, then go up to larger models.

But I really think for controlling other TVs it will be like what Google TV tried to do. A box that will connect to anything and control it. Just a souped up version of the current AppleTV.

Tapiozona

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Using a tablet as a remote - Nintendo Wii U
Voice commands to control your TV - Microsoft Kinect

Yup, Apple is totally doing this

Voice commands using Kinect would be leagues better than using an ipad to control your TV. Remotes do need tactile feedback. People use a remote without looking at it. That'd be virtually impossible using an ipad. It's a step backwards to use it but I guess its the future since...it's cool looking..or something..and...its an IPAD!

Have a kinect recognize gestures for volume and channel would also be nice but they'd have to be able to recognize very very subtle gestures and do it in the dark. I don't want to have to stand up and throw both arms in the air to turn up the volume.

Tobor

I've been able to control my TV with my iPad for a year and a half. That's nothing new. Think different, people.

Tobor said:
I've been able to control my TV with my iPad for a year and a half. That's nothing new. Think different, people.

And people have been using devices like this before the iPad.

pronto9600.jpg

It's not about thinking different, or getting with the times; it's about the importance of tactile feedback. It's just like touchscreen keyboards aren't going to replace physical keyboards anytime soon even though the iPad has one.

Tapiozona said:
Voice commands using Kinect would be leagues better than using an ipad to control your TV. Remotes do need tactile feedback. People use a remote without looking at it. That'd be virtually impossible using an ipad. It's a step backwards to use it but I guess its the future since...it's cool looking..or something..and...its an IPAD!

Have a kinect recognize gestures for volume and channel would also be nice but they'd have to be able to recognize very very subtle gestures and do it in the dark. I don't want to have to stand up and throw both arms in the air to turn up the volume.

I'm hoping Kinect in the new dashboard is like the following video or hopefully evolves into it some day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYDcandlZ8

As you can see, it addresses the volume aspect. That's going to be my next pet project as soon as I find a good open mic. I think the new dashboard will be nice, but I don't think it will be as fully functional as that.

Tobor

I have no idea what you're getting at Marty, but I do know it has nothing to do with what I was trying to say. Lol.

Tobor said:
I have no idea what you're getting at Marty, but I do know it has nothing to do with what I was trying to say. Lol.

I misread it. It sounded like you were trying to say touch screen remotes work to those people pushing for physical button remotes and that those people should think different and try it out as a viable solution.

Going along with what you were trying to say though, so far nothing people have thrown out is exactly new either. I don't think whatever Steve had in mind was going to be so mind bending different, but more of something polished and streamlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom