• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Mayles shares models from Banjo X (Banjo-Kazooie).

Sponge

Banned
I figured I would go ahead and post these since I haven't seen a thread on any of this yet

For those not in the know, Banjo X was to be a remake of the first Banjo-Kazooie game. The game would have some slight differences like a giant termite you would fight on Mumbo's Mountain. Co-op was also to be a feature. An executable was found in an unbootable state at RareWareCentral (now Banjo's Backpack) and they discovered a list of collectables the game was to have. Springy Shoes, Rocket Sneakers, Metal Feathers, Aviator Goggles, Invisibility Chocolates, Big Feathers, Bag of Eggs, and Diamond Beak.

This was all the information we had on the game until recently. Steve Mayles has been posting some models from the game on his twitter account. These are from circa 2005.

j55t4QE.png

Steve posted a gif of a termite from Mumbo's Mountain back in July. You can see it here.

https://twitter.com/WinkySteve/status/626802687313637376

Mayles also posted two gifs of a reimagined Conga. One of which was posted today.

https://twitter.com/WinkySteve/status/640582019555139584

https://twitter.com/WinkySteve/status/627882307618271232

While on topic, Ed Bryan posted a vine of a Mumbo model made circa 2004.

Malm26V.png

https://twitter.com/mingellasfella/status/630777927374893057

Unsure if this was for Banjo X as this does not match the blocky artstyle of the other models. Ed says this animation was to see whether you could do some sort of lip syncing with Mumbo's mumbling speech. I think it would have worked!

Camjo-Z

Looks similar to nuts and bolts art style. Too bad the game was canned, sucks that banjo is dead cause of micro :(

Yep, I asked Steve on Twitter about the art style and he confirmed that it was thought up long before Nuts & Bolts.

Also, Banjo's not dead... bears hibernate!!

Sponge

Banned
Yep, I asked Steve on Twitter about the art style and he confirmed that it was thought up long before Nuts & Bolts.

Also, Banjo's not dead... bears hibernate!!

Mhm! The art style itself is very nice. I like how Conga and the termite look. At least we have Yooka-Laylee while Banjo is resting up ;)

To elaborate on what 'Banjo X' was:

The game was to be announced and marketed as a straight remake of the first game, modernized for new consoles and with a new art style. But then the deeper into the game you'd get, the more things would diverge from the original, and the characters were supposed to become aware that they were in a remake of the original game and try to make it play out better than it did the first time around. This wasn't limited to Banjo and Kazooie, but Grunty as well- which was going to let the developers do some crazy new stuff as well as pull in things from Banjo-Tooie if they wanted to.

I don't think it got very far into development, but these models existing shows that it was further along than I'd seen previously discussed at least.

"Hey let's bring Banjo back!"

"Yeah and let's make it a make-your-own-car game where you drive around and shit!"

Shame the second guy seemed to have won.

Sponge

Banned

The game was to be announced and marketed as a straight remake of the first game, modernized for new consoles and with a new art style. But then the deeper into the game you'd get, the more things would diverge from the original, and the characters were supposed to become aware that they were in a remake of the original game and try to make it play out better than it did the first time around. This wasn't limited to Banjo and Kazooie, but Grunty as well- which was going to let the developers do some crazy new stuff as well as pull in things from Banjo-Tooie if they wanted to.

I don't think it got very far into development, but these models existing shows that it was further along than I'd seen previously discussed at least.

Thanks for the better description! I was looking around for details to describe it but the only one that I could find was the bit about the termite.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

That sounds incredible. So bummed...

wwm0nkey

Holy shit that sounds amazing! Can they start this back up please?

Caayn

That sounds like a cool idea and would fit Rare and Banjo. Sad to hear that this didn't make it and was scratched.

WillyFive

That sounds like the kind of brilliance I'd expect from Rare. Too bad it didn't make it.

Wtf this was canned? This is how remakes should be :(( fuck you micro, oh how i wish rare told them "thanks but no thanks"

Sponge

Banned
Holy shit that sounds amazing! Can they start this back up please?

I doubt we've seen the last of Banjo but personally I would prefer to have Rare continue with making new IP. Yooka-Laylee seems to be the game I've been wanting for. I suppose there is room for both games on the market.

Camjo-Z

"Hey let's bring Banjo back!"

"Yeah and let's make it a make-your-own-car game where you drive around and shit!"

Shame the second guy seemed to have won.

It wasn't quite like that. Rare thought that platformers weren't "in" anymore and were unsure what to do with the game after multiple attempts, and eventually decided to mix it with a car game another team was working on. So it could be that if not for the vehicle stuff, we wouldn't have gotten Banjo 3 at all.

But yeah, I wish we'd have gotten a straight platformer as well.

Uh, holy shit, that sounds incredible.

Mariolee

No lie, I would've bought an Xbox 360 just to purchase this game oh my goodness.

OH MY GOODNESS. I WOULD'VE BOUGHT TWO 360'S.

Sponge

Banned
It wasn't quite like that. Rare thought that platformers weren't "in" anymore and were unsure what to do with the game after multiple attempts, and eventually decided to mix it with a car game another team was working on. So it could be that if not for the vehicle stuff, we wouldn't have gotten Banjo 3 at all.

But yeah, I wish we'd have gotten a straight platformer as well.

Camjo speaks the truth. I had asked Grant on Facebook about how Nuts & Bolts came about and to quote him "At the end of the day Gregg Mayles and Tim Stamper made the decisions...and no one else."

PM me if you want to see the conversation because I don't feel comfortable sharing Grant's messages on Neogaf.

Tuck

That sounds incredible.

pizzacat

Banned
Can't wait till everyone speculates how great this game was going to be.

even tho banjo didn't become great until nuts and bolts I said it!

I'm not a fan of Rare or Banjo-Kazooie, but this idea is really quite brilliant.

Anth0ny

fuck

Why are all remakes not planned like this?

Metal-Geo

That sounds absolutely brilliant.

Hale-XF11

Damnit all, that's brilliant! I WANT THIS.

daTRUballin

That's awesome! I've always wanted to see more of Banjo X. I've always wondered whether Banjo X was the remake of the original, or it was an entirely new Banjo game being made for the Xbox. Apparently, it WAS the remake, so that kinda disappoints me since that kinda confirms there was never a true Banjo Threeie being developed at Rare. :/

Except that Mumbo model might be something, but who knows?

Microsoft, greenlight this game please!

Borman

BanjoX went through multiple revisions. One of the issues and I believe why Nuts and Bolts was created was the worlds were getting so large to the point where they werent fun, thus vehicles.

This is the remnants of the Mumbo model found within the BanjoX executables that I have.
bx_mumbo2.png

Sadly nearly every file is missing
2.jpg

I know that the game was worked on (on the original Xbox) until at least September 2004. Around that time is when Kameo made the switch to the 360 as well.

More strings:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Theorymon

If I recall, didn't a lot of Rare staff dislike the idea of Banjo X? I know Grant Kirkhope at least disliked the idea of a remake.

I personally think it sounds like a brilliant idea for a remake though, shame it got canned!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

F U C K
tumblr_inline_mgsepjz3Rd1qcka0a.png

Trup1aya

This actually sounds like a great way to bring Banjo back.. Instead of a sequel, a psuedo-remake/reimagining...

I'd be all over it...

Warxard

Banned

Didn't Conker: Live and Reloaded do this exact same thing?

DJMicLuv

My heart just broke. It sounds like the best fucking thing in the world ever.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Why didn't they go through with this, best revival idea I've heard. What a missed opportunity, fuck everything

Blocky character designs, eh. At least they still looked less offensive than N&B, although the biggest offenders were B&K and who knows if they had already looked like in the future.

Although this wasn't made, I suggest people should check out GBA Banjo, it's a surprisingly well made Banjo game (if short) and many overlooked it.

Yeah, in small pieces. And it ended up worse than the original (but then again, the base game for Conker is already highly inferior to Banjo to begin with).

Only for a small gag at the beginning, everything else is basically the same as the original game.

Plus a new weapon and enemies which were awful.

Shojx

So interesting to imagine what could've been.

...I wouldn't mind another attempt at this concept in the future.

That sounds so awesome.

RK128

I would have loved if that came out :'(.

daTRUballin

Sounds like it would've been something great. Shame it didn't get anywhere.

Not really. There was some stuff like that in the beginning, but then the rest of the game was just a straight remake. Some parts were even cut out.

Top Bottom