• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Seagal given Russian citizenship by Putin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Russian President Vladimir Putin has awarded Russian citizenship to action film actor Steven Seagal, the Kremlin said Thursday.

The 64-year-old Seagal has been a regular visitor to Russia in recent years and has accompanied Putin to several martial arts events, as well as vocally defending the Russian leader's policies and criticizing the U.S. government.

Seagal is the latest in a string of foreign celebrities to be awarded Russian nationality by the Kremlin in recent years. Others include French actor Gerard Depardieu and U.S. boxer Roy Jones Jr.

www.cbc.ca/beta/news/entertainment/steven-seagal-granted-russian-citizenship-1.3834654

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Donald got snubbed.

BigDug13

I feel like they could have a spinoff show from The Americans set in the present day to highlight current Russian influence at this point.

I couldn't resist.

Steven-Seagal-dancinglol.gif

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I can't think of a more undesirable American than Trump right now, but it's cool Russia took Segal. He's the worst action star we have.

He seems like a difficult personality to deal with.

Lorcain

But he's killed so many Russians!
That's why he's so valuable! Putin used his towering mental strength and imposing physical presence to break down Seagal and win him over. Are we going to read tomorrow that Stallone has been granted Russian citizenship too? Is he going to steal John fucking Rambo? When does it stop? Stealing Sean Connery from the UK?

Oh shit...he's after Chuck Norris, isn't he?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What is it with washed up celebrities and dictators?
Crazy as it sounds, Seagal was one of the first superconservatives to side with Putin. He was hired a few years ago to promote Kalashnikov Concern's products (yes, *that* Kalashnikov) and to use his "star power" in order to lobby American lawmakers into allowing imports of Russian firearms, which are restricted.

He's been whoring himself out for Putin well before Trump. And not for cheap. When America and Russia began feuding they dropped his ass, revealing his salary:

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/rus...tor-steven-seagal-over-tensions-with-us-39677

It is estimated the decision not to work with Seagal will save the weapons maker between 17-21 million rubles ($444,000-$544,000) a year, Izvestia reported, citing an analyst.
Seagal's case caught my eye back in the day because it signaled a new strategy: buying Western personalities in order to push Russia's agenda. Nothing new in Eastern Europe, but fairly novel in the Western world. At least since the end of the Cold War.

Kule

He's part Belarusian descent and Russian citizens can cross the border freely between the two countries so it's pretty convenient for him.

That's why he's so valuable! Putin used his towering mental strength and imposing physical presence to break down Seagal and win him over. Are we going to read tomorrow that Stallone has been granted Russian citizenship too? Is he going to steal John fucking Rambo? When does it stop? Stealing Sean Connery from the UK?

Oh shit...he's after Chuck Norris, isn't he?

You've uncovered the sinister plan. You should lay low for a while, keep an eye out for the KGB.

(I know they're called the Foreign Intelligence Service now, but nobody ever seems to know what I'm talking about.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom