• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome pair of episodes tonight. The small preview of
Ruby & Sapphire
convinced me to actually turn on my TV for cable. Was well worth my time.

Also,
For those that have only watched the preview, Lapis doesn't die. Wait literally 1 minute after the gems crash-land

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Council of Diamonds (White, Yellow and Blue... and maybe Green?) The spattering of yellow diamonds all over indicate this ship belongs to Yellow. Peridot and Jasper also sport yellow diamonds on their uniforms, meaning they are part of Yellow Diamond's unit.

Just two so far.
Current theory is that Jasper is a Kindergarten Gem like Amethyst. They share similar features, but Amethyst is a "half-baked runt". Question is, did Jasper originate on Earth or elsewhere? By her own words she was definitely present on Earth and fought Rose Quartz during the rebellion.

Jasper seems to have it out for Rose Quartz. Steven might have to fight her directly one day, hope he'll be ready for it. Lapis can't keep her trapped forever...

EDIT: OH GOD

Pearl had a pink diamond insignia on her space suit! PINK DIAMOND. THE LORE BE TOO DEEP FOR ME I WANT OFF SUGAR'S RIDE!!!.
uqI14og.png

Pearl had a pink diamond insignia on her space suit! PINK DIAMOND. THE LORE BE TOO DEEP FOR ME I WANT OFF SUGAR'S RIDE!!!.

So that drawing was of Rose fighting yellow Diamond then as the leaders of their sides?.

If so i wonder where the other colors allegiances lie (could the new characters that supposedly pops up in the later season(s) be from another group of gems that allied with Rose or they started to see her way of thinking? or did all of them just did their own thing)

Very Interesting.

We need Steven hanging out with Peedee and Ronaldo tagging along.
He didn't want to leave when the evacuation was happening. He really wanted to close up shop to show his dad he could do it.

Yeah I hope Peedee has more appearances in season 2. Other than Connie, there doesn't seem to be any other kids Steven's age that he can interact with, and Connie doesn't even seem to live near by.

Dice//

Banned
Absolutely awesome episodes. TV in general has never been better and Steven Universe is a damn fine addition to this.

vypek

Ruby and Sapphire should be much older, yet they are smaller

Oh, yeah, thats true. They should have existed before Amethyst since Garnet was present on Earth for a while. And it would only make sense if Ruby and Sapphire were also undercooked and left early and joined up with Rose and others before getting around to saving Amethyst.

Guess they are just really small by nature. I wonder if each of them can summon a single gauntlet by themselves

I wonder if Gems always sacrifice their physical forms when mating with humans/other species. It seems like fusion is essentially Gem sex, with the downside of population dwindling if the fusion decides to remain together. Kindergarten is necessary to replenish the Gem population, since they can't naturally reproduce, and the culture of fusions combined with frequent wars depletes their numbers quickly.

It raises a slew of very interesting questions: If Steven dies, can Rose return to her true self? What happens when Steven has kids? Why can Steven fuse with Connie, a non-Gem? Would Gems even be interested in mating with human men if the children are all hybrids like Steven and not pure Gems?

(Note: None of this explicitly relates to the current episodes, so there are no spoilers.)

vypek

Why can Steven fuse with Connie, a non-Gem?

Would Gems even be interested in mating with human men if the children are all hybrids like Steven and not pure Gems?

For the first question, probably because he is biologically compatible. I'm guessing that due to being part human, he can fuse with any human he dances with. The same way he can
sort of get through the cell doors with some effort. Human side of him lets him fuse with humans and possibly with gems as well

Second question: Maybe. It doesn't seem like there is a downside/limitation so far. But maybe some gems hate the idea.
Jasper probably wouldn't be too ken on gem/human hybrids

Alrighty, I feel like we now know a ton more about fusion from this 2 parter!

Saw someone make a thread about this on reddit and I went a bit harder with it.
I had always assumed Garnet was a fusion that had gone on for too long and became perma-fused ... never thought that she was a fusion made outta love.

A certain someone here brang up how fusions always have 2 sets of arms (other than Stevonnie for w/e reason but this is gem-gem fusion) as a reason Garnet couldn't be one. Now that we know from this song that Garnet IS NOT just a fusion but also "made from love" and is a "stable relationship" it gives us a ton of information.

When a fusion is made from love and such deep caring/ understanding the result is a perfect, stable fusion. 1 set of arms/ legs/ eyes (Garnet and Stevonnie have this. Garnet goes as far as to fuse eye balls, making a 3rd purple one). They have one voice because a fusion is also a "conversation" (each person takes their turn talking in a civil conversation so you here one voice at a time normally. With Stevonnie you can tell when she's channeling either of them from the slight difference in how deep her voice goes).

With Opal and Sug it's different. They're not prefect or made from "love", so they arn't stable. They have 4 arms for this reason. Seeing how Ruby is I feel that Amy would get along with atleast that part of Garnet but that makes things unbalanced and it becomes 2 parts selfish/ reckless personas + 1 part ... Sapphire. They have 5 eyes unlike Opal so I guess that also shows how unbalanced they are ... but from the nature of how they get along Sug doesn't wanna split up/ enjoys being together.

Opal is the opposite. Pearl and Amy's personas balance each other out well ... but they don't get along. So they have 2 eyes unlike Sug and they don't want to stay together because they disagree allot (Whose fault is it that we don't have the beetle?!? - Split. Steven's Back?!? Amy sounds happy to see Steven, Pearl like "NOOOO!!" so- Split).

Then we have Alexandrite and ... this rapey monstrosity. Both speak with more than one voice at the same time (an argument sounds like that). Alexandrite has 2 damn mouths and this ... thing has 4 eyes and no god damn legs.

KiN0

For the first question, probably because he is biologically compatible. I'm guessing that due to being part human, he can fuse with any human he dances with. The same way he can
sort of get through the cell doors with some effort. Human side of him lets him fuse with humans and possibly with gems as well

Second question: Maybe. It doesn't seem like there is a downside/limitation so far. But maybe some gems hate the idea.
Jasper probably wouldn't be too ken on gem/human hybrids

Steven can die from age.

rexor0717

Thats an awesome analysis. This show is really better than most shows on television. Its like "power of friendship" but fully realized and it actually informs the character.

Another one: If the Gems have been on Earth for thousands of years, is Greg+Rose really the first time a Gem and a human got it on? They clearly have sex drives, yet they stuck around for millennia until Greg broke their abstinence? I can understand not wanting to bone a caveman, but it seems like a stretch.

Wait... is
Greg a caveman?! He said he wasn't around for the war, but who knows! Twistpocalypse

KiN0

I have a question about the last scene of jailbreak

Why didn't lapis and jasper defuse? Both gems need to be in a certain level of harmony to remain fused don't they?

Epcott

Another one: If the Gems have been on Earth for thousands of years, is Greg+Rose really the first time a Gem and a human got it on? They clearly have sex drives, yet they stuck around for millennia until Greg broke their abstinence? I can understand not wanting to bone a caveman, but it seems like a stretch.

Wait... is
Greg a caveman?! He said he wasn't around for the war, but who knows! Twistpocalypse

In old album covers, Greg clearly has hair and is younger. So he's just your typical human that ages, loses hair, gets fat, and has a permanent 5 O'clock shadow.

Fantastic 2 parter. Garnet
singing and dancing around a 'stronger' gem.
Lapiz
self sacrificing was surprising, really wanted her to be on Earth's side after all that but this conclusions make sense.
Oh and Pearl
not betraying the gems was a good thing. Shows she's as loyal when something comes to destroy/enslave them.

After the revelation of Garnet
being a fusion, it only comes to me that most fusions have singers as their voice actors. Estelle being Garnet's should've been a tell tale sign!

Only 3 more episodes left and yet I want more. This season 2 wait is gonna be a bit tough.

jwk94

Wait... is

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. When Greg was talking about the past, I thought he was about to say he was from a different time period or something.

Trago

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. When Greg was talking about the past, I thought he was about to say he was from a different time period or something.

You sure about that? I mean he technically looked younger in that home video of him and Rose when she was preggers with Steven.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One gem holding another hostage inside a fusion form is pretty dark and high up on the fridge horror charts. I'm impressed they went there, but it did provide a great way to get out of the situation without feeling cheap. On the contrary, it required great sacrifice from Lapis.

Trago

One gem holding another hostage inside a fusion form is pretty dark and high up on the fridge horror charts. I'm impressed they went there, but it did provide a great way to get out of the situation without feeling cheap. On the contrary, it required great sacrifice from Lapis.

Something tells me it wont be like that for long, it did look like Jasper was nearly breaking free.

KiN0

Ehh...

I thought it was pretty cheap considering how powerful Lapis was shown to be. I don't see why she couldn't chain jasper to the bottom of the ocean using her regular powers

So about Pearl
being called 'some lost defective Pearl' by Jasper. What if she's just of a thousands mass produced pearl gems. Would make that 'My pearl' wording a bit of sense during that memory of Rose and Pearl.

When does season 2 start? This summer?

No date yet, it seems. How amazing would it be if season 2 was announced just after this season ends.

Raxus

Ehh...

I thought it was pretty cheap considering how powerful Lapis was shown to be. I don't see why she couldn't chain jasper to the bottom of the ocean using her regular powers

Lapis was stuck between a rock and a hard place. She never believed in Earth and was held prisoner there and just wanted to get home, GETS home and it has changed so much she no longer recognizes it. She has no home to go to so when faced with a choice she decides to grab jasper and trap her 'in this miserable planet' with her.

jwk94

Lapis was stuck between a rock and a hard place. She never believed in Earth and was held prisoner there and just wanted to get home, GETS home and it has changed so much she no longer recognizes it. She has no home to go to so when faced with a choice she decides to grab jasper and trap her 'in this miserable planet' with her.

She's the Octavia of this show. (The 100 reference)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ehh...

It seemed in line with Lapis feeling outcast from every side and mentally traumatized by Jasper/HW gems. Came off more as personal revenge on Jasper as well. Besides, her water powers appear to require Lapis to be maintain her water constructs. I don't think she could have chained Jasper without sitting there anyway keeping her prisoner 24/7.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So about Pearl
being called 'some lost defective Pearl' by Jasper. What if she's just of a thousands mass produced pearl gems. Would make that 'My pearl' wording a bit of sense during that memory of Rose and Pearl.

No date yet, it seems. How amazing would it be if season 2 was announced just after this season ends.

it makes sense after hearing that, that pearls would be mass produced. I would not be surprised as other have said that Amy and Jasper came from the same kindergarten it fits into the same overall theme. Gems aren't born they get made en masse

RagnarokX

"Fusions are for wimps"

5 minutes later

"You only won because you fused!"

Sore loser much :p

Well, she wasn't denying that fusions are strong. She just puts value on individual strength and feels like fusing is cheating. She got beat by a fusion and saw no problem resorting to evening the odds.

Toxi

Banned

Did you hear a sonic boom in the sky? In honor of our new episode tonight, the Steven Crewniverse shared…

A GIGANTIC HAND TREAT!!!!

I can’t wait for it to crash into the hill next to the temple. And by “the hill next to the temple” I mean “my mouth”!

Thanks for watching everybody! Come back tomorrow for “Full Disclosure”!

(food preparation: the amazing Christy Cohen!!!!)
http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/113472059487/did-you-hear-a-sonic-boom-in-the-sky-in-honor-of

BBboy20

SERIOUSLY, WHERE ARE THE EMMYS!?

Exciting episode, reminded me of the Toonami days with DBZ for some reason.
You know, Toonami is still around and is currently airing DBZ.

Can we also say how nice Garnet's new look is. I love the brighter colors. Now Amethyst is due for a makeover.
My brain was noticing something seemed different about her and sure enough, she has changed.

Major spoilers for the episode

Looks like someone uploaded the
Ruby & Sapphire fusion scene + song
on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-RSGsTI-0
The first portion seemed like a riff on Just the Two of Us but the course sounds like a Persona song.

Man, that was sooooo good. The kid were ecstatic, they loved it. The 3 year old wants the hear Garnet's song over and over again.

I never thought I would say this, but the way CN has handled the end of the season has been nearly perfect. Stretching the Bombs out over 5 weeks would have been hype-killing torture. Good on them for treating Steven Universe right.

Raxus

Man, that was sooooo good. The kid were ecstatic, they loved it. The 3 year old wants the hear Garnet's song over and over again.

I never thought I would say this, but the way CN has handled the end of the season has been nearly perfect. Stretching the Bombs out over 5 weeks would have been hype-killing torture. Good on them for treating Steven Universe right.

Heh I was just thinking of how painful it would be after the return aired and if we had to wait a day let alone a week. I may have been on suicide watch.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Alright this was fucking great and damn at the multiple meanings that song be interpreted as LOL

I know right? The more I think about it, the more brilliant it gets.

Man, these episodes were hype as fuck. This whole "Steven Bomb" event payed off big time.

so nice, somebody in the thread called the garnet
fusion
earlier. Also based on the ending
peridot is on earth now, so they still gotta fight her/make sure she doesnt activate the kindergarten right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom