• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

Now the question is, will we get a new opening for season 2, now that it's
getting outdated thanks to Pearl's and now Garnet's new appearances
?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Alrighty, I feel like we now know a ton more about fusion from this 2 parter!

Saw someone make a thread about this on reddit and I went a bit harder with it.
I had always assumed Garnet was a fusion that had gone on for too long and became perma-fused ... never thought that she was a fusion made outta love.

A certain someone here brang up how fusions always have 2 sets of arms (other than Stevonnie for w/e reason but this is gem-gem fusion) as a reason Garnet couldn't be one. Now that we know from this song that Garnet IS NOT just a fusion but also "made from love" and is a "stable relationship" it gives us a ton of information.

When a fusion is made from love and such deep caring/ understanding the result is a perfect, stable fusion. 1 set of arms/ legs/ eyes (Garnet and Stevonnie have this. Garnet goes as far as to fuse eye balls, making a 3rd purple one). They have one voice because a fusion is also a "conversation" (each person takes their turn talking in a civil conversation so you here one voice at a time normally. With Stevonnie you can tell when she's channeling either of them from the slight difference in how deep her voice goes).

With Opal and Sug it's different. They're not prefect or made from "love", so they arn't stable. They have 4 arms for this reason. Seeing how Ruby is I feel that Amy would get along with atleast that part of Garnet but that makes things unbalanced and it becomes 2 parts selfish/ reckless personas + 1 part ... Sapphire. They have 5 eyes unlike Opal so I guess that also shows how unbalanced they are ... but from the nature of how they get along Sug doesn't wanna split up/ enjoys being together.

Opal is the opposite. Pearl and Amy's personas balance each other out well ... but they don't get along. So they have 2 eyes unlike Sug and they don't want to stay together because they disagree allot (Whose fault is it that we don't have the beetle?!? - Split. Steven's Back?!? Amy sounds happy to see Steven, Pearl like "NOOOO!!" so- Split).

Then we have Alexandrite and ... this rapey monstrosity. Both speak with more than one voice at the same time (an argument sounds like that). Alexandrite has 2 damn mouths and this ... thing has 4 eyes and no god damn legs.

I agree with this, 100%. It also puts more context behind Garnet's reaction to Steveonnie. She was giggling because they reminded her of...herself. Remember also her speech to them. "You are an EXPERIENCE": she saw immediatly that Steveonnie was made with a relationship similarly close (even if still not that close) compared to her. Also, I know someone here said that Garnet would've resulted in a less interesting character if her being a fusion would have been confirmed. Well, I disagree completely. Just watch the brief sequence with both Ruby and Sapphire, especially their reunion: their differencies, how they can care for each other so much, the joy (the love?) they express when dancing together. (there are also similarities with the Steven/Connie fusion moment, by the way)...this makes Garnet much more interesting, actually! Also, Ruby/Sapphire reunion made me smile So MUCH. THE HAPPINESS I FELT, OH MY GOD

Tizoc

Just caught up that 2 parter was crazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Jasper was great, but man that ending was...sad and needlessly funny at the same time.
Can't wait to see Yellow Diamond =O

TheOGB

Banned
SPOILERS IN THE LINK! If it wasn't obvious enough already.

Ruby and Sapphire are lovers
"Well maybe
they're just really close friends, or sisters--"
88AdmwY.png

I'm surprised to say I've actually seen that response, for once

Unbounded

So, can we all talk about how Ruby and Sapphire is actually a well-executed relationship that isn't forced at all and actually pretty goddamn beautiful unlike the BS they threw at us with Korra and Asami?

I mean, Garnet is, quite literally, the embodiment of their love. Her mere existence is touching as shit.

Zeppu

So this is probably fairly obvious to many of you, but I rewatched Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem yesterday and as soon as they get to the ocean pillar, Greg goes:

"Guys, I just had the best idea for an album cover."

It's really tiny detail but I love how they even pay attention and foreshadow to the tiniest and inconsequential of things.

Hamlet

Rebecca Sugar - Early
Jasper concepts
These are great ha. http://anthrocon1997.tumblr.com/post/113491386681/so-we-meet-at-last
http://pastel-gems.tumblr.com/post/113476493712/confirmed
So, can we all talk about how Ruby and Sapphire is actually a well-executed relationship that isn't forced at all and actually pretty goddamn beautiful unlike the BS they threw at us with Korra and Asami?

I mean, Garnet is, quite literally, the embodiment of their love. Her mere existence is touching as shit.

LOK BOOK 4 Spoilers.
Well to be fair the Korra/Asami relationship was basically starting right there at the end of Book 4. Whereas as the Garnet one has being around potentially for thousands of years at this point, so of course it would feel more heartfelt right now. Wonder how long it's been since Garnet last defused? before this recent one was forced on them.

woopWOOP

Episode spoiler yadda yadda:
When Sapphire got 'leaked' through the CN commercial, I expected some really dark shit like her Ruby half being a mangled gem missing limbs and an eye because of the brutal war against the homeworld. Garnet being a perfect fusion because of pure love makes sense too and is a lot more charming/awesome that way.

Also I'm guessing the Homeworld Gems detonated some sorta powerful weapon during the war/after their defeat that caused the remaining Crystal Gems' allies to turn into those crazy monsters causing all that trouble. Rose, Garnet and Pearl are still normal because Rose's shield protected them one way or another, I wager.

(If that's the case tho I'm not sure if I ever want them to change back, Centipeetle's too cute :V )

YES. Thank you. I feel like some folks didn't get that those complaining weren't intolerant we just wanted something not shoe horned. This was well done.

It's baffling how people look at a monogendered (well, agender technically, but they're clearly female by human definition) race and not assume they're all
lesbians
by default. I mean, they don't have many other options unless they leave homeworld. I do wonder if some Gems are more romantically drawn to masculine Gems than feminine Gems though, or vice-verse.

Now, if they want to be extra-progressive, there's nothing stopping
Garnet
from falling in love again as a
fused being
. Opportunities for polyamory and pansexuality abound!

explodet

So do we assume that gems are all female now? I mean it could simply mean the females are the Warriors.
Steven's a gem too, you jerk.

But seriously, I want to say that Sugar once said that there was no gender differences in the gems until Steven came along, and he was the first male - along with a whole lot of other firsts.
But that's just from memory and I have absolutely nothing to back that up.

I thought
that Jasper had a male outer body.
Also can't they change genders like when Amethyst changed into a male wrestler?

Amethyst can also become a cat, so I don't think she's the best barometer for Gem norms. As for
Jasper,
I'm pretty sure she's just a very masculine lady. Same goes for
Ruby.

IronRinn

So, I am no doubt missing an easy answer here, but based on how everyone was referring to one another
especially how Jasper called them out when first seeing them, it seems that the gems are the beings themselves, right? Like their bodies are just projections from within the gem. In that sense, Jasper is, perhaps, not incorrect when she refers to Steven as Rose Quartz because could it not be that the gem in Steven's belly is, in fact, Rose Quartz?

I guess what I'm saying is: Could this be Steven Universe's "Wife Arm"?

Also, Jasper's reference to Pearl as "a defective Pearl" certainly seems to intentionally imply that there is more than one Pearl which would make sense. How many different gems/minerals are there, really? Certainly not enough to comprise an entire civilization, right?

KiN0

This episode put rose in a new perspective for me

assuming everything jasper said is true, Rose's closest allies, the crystal gems, were outliers of gem society

So, I am no doubt missing an easy answer here, but based on how everyone was referring to one another
especially how Jasper called them out when first seeing them, it seems that the gems are the beings themselves, right? Like their bodies are just projections from within the gem. In that sense, Jasper is, perhaps, not incorrect when she refers to Steven as Rose Quartz because could it not be that the gem in Steven's belly is, in fact, Rose Quartz?

I guess what I'm saying is: Could this be Steven Universe's "Wife Arm"?

Also, Jasper's reference to Pearl as "a defective Pearl" certainly seems to intentionally imply that there is more than one Pearl which would make sense. How many different gems/minerals are there, really? Certainly not enough to comprise an entire civilization, right?
yeah it would make sense that there are many gems with the same name. As to the Gems being the beings I think it's a combination of the two ideas. I think that gem civilization simply has never had to deal with this situation of parenthood so they don't know how to refer to it

Tizoc

YOU GUYS AND GALS.

Remember the episode where Steven and Connie fuse? Garnet had a big stupid grin when she found out THIS TAKES ON A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO THAT!

IronRinn

yeah it would make sense that there are many gems with the same name. As to the Gems being the beings I think it's a combination of the two ideas. I think that gem civilization simply has never had to deal with this situation of parenthood so they don't know how to refer to it
Makes sense.

Unrelated:
You know, there is a flip side to the Garnet thing. Ruby especially seemed almost dysfunctional without Sapphire. One could just as easily view their relationship as dangerously codependent.

Hamlet

YOU GUYS AND GALS.

Remember the episode where Steven and Connie fuse? Garnet had a big stupid grin when she found out THIS TAKES ON A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO THAT!

Such a great face
and yeah explains why she was so excited over the whole thing.
tumblr_nhx7s2gOfQ1u1e188o1_400.png

Makes sense.

Unrelated:
You know, there is a flip side to the Garnet thing. Ruby especially seemed almost dysfunctional without Sapphire. One could just as easily view their relationship as dangerously codependent.
Yeah it definitely seemed unhealthy from her but I won't read too much into it right now it may have just been shock/nerves due to the situation.

Psxphile

Makes sense.

Unrelated:

"How many more Gems are trapped here?"
"Don't know. Don't care!"

And somewhat unconcerned about the bigger picture.

Makes sense.

Unrelated:

eh I don't think so. Garnet's strength comes from their love, I think it's as pure and perfect as it seems.

It must have been really traumatizing for Ruby and she just wanted to find her partner. She was freaking out because without her fusion with Sapphire she doesn't have future vision so she had no idea where she was in a ship she was unfamiliar with. With the way she was just calmly singing, it seems to me that Garnet's stoicism comes from Sapphire, so Ruby's naturally a little more on edge in times of distress.

Holy shit, this episode alone has generated almost 300 replies. And that's not counting the rest of Steven Bomb. It's great to see Steven universe GAF so active.

YOU GUYS AND GALS.

Holy shit this makes so much sense

Psxphile

Jailbreak end credits theme.

Becky Sucrose singing a lyrical version of "Love Like You".

Seems "The Return" and "Jailbreak" were paired together and released on iTunes/Amazon Instant Video, leaving "Political Power" high and dry (for now). Guess they'll release it when its paired episode from Season 1 airs later.

Steven Universe has really gotten a lot better since it first aired. I saw it for like 8 weeks or so and just wasn't digging it, steven was annoying and the show seemed aimless, like it was another amazing world of gumball, all jokes and thats it. But now that the plot is starting to be unraveled and steven has gotten more mature this show has surpassed adventure time in entertainment for me. (Actually Adventure Time used to be my favorite and oddly enough my favorite episodes were the ones done by Rebecca, Adventure Time has gotten quite dull for a while imo) But regardless, Regular Show remains king with Steven sitting in second place.

You actually can. Are we allowed to post download links to sound cloud rips?

dw i found out how to do it :)

i thought this was obvious, no? it wasn't really subtle or anything.

IronRinn

eh I don't think so. Garnet's strength comes from their love, I think it's as pure and perfect as it seems.

It must have been really traumatizing for Ruby and she just wanted to find her partner. She was freaking out because without her fusion with Sapphire she doesn't have future vision so she had no idea where she was in a ship she was unfamiliar with. With the way she was just calmly singing, it seems to me that Garnet's stoicism comes from Sapphire, so Ruby's naturally a little more on edge in times of distress.
Honestly though, I don't think it is pure and perfect and the concept of what one might extrapolate from the Ruby/Sapphire relationship and Garnet's song is both unrealistic and, I would go as far as to say again, unhealthy. I hope they address it on the show, but if you met two people like them in real life, would that strike you as normal? I mean isn't this just an updated continuation of the old, Disney-esque "one person to complete me/true love forever" dynamic? Seems like something this show would avoid.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or pick on you, it's just the more I've thought about it, the more that's been nagging at me. We definitely don't have enough information right now to say either way, but I wonder if the writers are thinking about it this way at all.

vypek

Nice! There seems to be a lot more info floating around tumblr. I had kind of assumed this though. lol

People still weren't sure about this? I mean come on.
If Sapphire kissing Ruby wasn't confirmation enough, their relationship was what Garnet's song was about. There was nothing subtle about it.
Hm, you know I didn't think anything of their kiss at all. Probably cause I thought of them as being somewhat young. What made me think they had a romantic relationship was the song.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
Was a bit scared at first about Garnet
Being a fusion
but those fears were put to rest after watching the finale. Can't wait for the 2nd season.
Lapis sure can't catch a break
That scene when she held her legs as the ship was crashing down... I just wanted someone to hug her. Not to mention that self sacrifice shortly after.
They really are building her up as this tragic character. I hope we get to see more of her in the next season.

Juni_

In The Message Steven sings about
Lapis Lazuli fleeing to the bottom of the sea
and that's what ended up happening to them.

Psxphile

Prediction for next episode "Full Disclosure", based on what we know now:

It was thought that the title meant that the Gems would finally tell Steven about their history, and that part still seems very possible though he already got the cliff notes version from Greg... but it can also mean that he's going to have to let Connie know eventually what Gems really are to the people of Earth (like Rose did with Greg) and why two of them attacked from space. And it's going to tear him up inside because he'll be afraid that Connie won't take it well and stop being his friend.

Dunkley

Glad to see the OT again. Have been watching Steven Universe loyally for a while, and wow to that last episode.
Estelle is a fantastic singer, and even though I can't say it's the best lyrics I've heard, her vocal talent really shined through
. Great stuff. Can't wait for Full Disclosure tonight.

Prediction for next episode "Full Disclosure", based on what we know now:

It was thought that the title meant that the Gems would finally tell Steven about their history, and that part still seems very possible though he already got the cliff notes version from Greg... but it can also mean that he's going to have to let Connie know eventually what Gems really are to the people of Earth (like Rose did with Greg) and why two of them attacked from space. And it's going to tear him up inside because he'll be afraid that Connie won't take it well and stop being his friend.

image.php

Honestly though, I don't think it is pure and perfect and the concept of what one might extrapolate from the Ruby/Sapphire relationship and Garnet's song is both unrealistic and, I would go as far as to say again, unhealthy. I hope they address it on the show, but if you met two people like them in real life, would that strike you as normal? I mean isn't this just an updated continuation of the old, Disney-esque "one person to complete me/true love forever" dynamic? Seems like something this show would avoid.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or pick on you, it's just the more I've thought about it, the more that's been nagging at me. We definitely don't have enough information right now to say either way, but I wonder if the writers are thinking about it this way at all.

Oh for sure. The show continues to surprise me in many ways and I see it as a possibility. It is definitely something that can come up again and reveal a deeper meaning - I really wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Bilix

Because of the way these episodes are being released on iTunes this week, I need to know if I need to watch the episode that ran on Wednesday before the two-parter that aired on Thursday.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm afraid of this thread being a spoiler minefield right now.

Because of the way these episodes are being released on iTunes this week, I need to know if I need to watch the episode that ran on Wednesday before the two-parter that aired on Thursday.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm afraid of this thread being a spoiler minefield right now.

It's not CRUCIAL in the grand scheme of things but I liked it. kind of like a calm before the storm episode. It's kinda hard to explain why it's not too important without spoiling the two prior episodes from Monday/Tuesday.

Toxi

Banned

Watch every episode released this week in order. The one on Wednesday's not necessary persay, but it provides some pacing cooldown between Tuesday and Thursday's episodes.

Psxphile

It was deemed important enough to be made part of the Steven bomb.

Mostly because it establishes
Steven's connection with Mayor Dewey
and
delves a little deeper into how the Gems keep things from Steven by pretending everything is okay

So yeah, I think it matters. Not sure what you can do about it save waiting for a rerun or just grabbing an upload of the broadcast version. If you've got a cable service that does On Demand you should be able to see it there... though that probably isn't an option for you if you're primarily watching through iTunes.

Toxi

Banned
Did anyone else think Ruby looks like a Dragonball character? Especially in this screenshot. Maybe my mind's just on Dragonball because of all the threads this weak, but the eyes really do remind me of Dragonball's art style.
What if the hand ship is a part of a larger, giant robot? Similar to the statue on the island?
Very likely.

Although the ship's shape might just be a visual pun:
Peridot and Jasper are the right hand of Yellow Diamond.

Also, (SPOILERS) (SPOILERS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom