• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

This is pretty neat
Anonymous asked:
What were some other hints of Garnet being a fusion?

A: here’s a really subtle one that’s in EVERY episode:
/tumblr_inline_nl86jhPvCL1qgz2eg.gif[/IMG]
Garnet’s title card gets a double shooting star! that was rebeccasugar‘s idea btw!
Ian Jones-Quartey

Another neat factoid, the pilot was even more obvious with Garnet being surrounded by Ruby and Sapphire. Other neat things about the pilot. Sadie had a crush on Steven (before they switched things around and introduced Connie) and the plot revolved around the time traveling hourglass seen in Steven and the Stevens.

*looks at avatar*

I hate you.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

haha ohhhh snap, i'm so sorry! curse you azure!! loool

i cannot believe how well-crafted this show is, i am head-over-heels in love with it

also cant for the love of me stop listening to 'stronger than you' GOD DANK HOW DOES THIS SHOW EVEN EXIIIIISt

Unbounded

haha ohhhh snap, i'm so sorry! curse you azure!! loool

i cannot believe how well-crafted this show is, i am head-over-heels in love with it

also cant for the love of me stop listening to 'stronger than you' GOD DANK HOW DOES THIS SHOW EVEN EXIIIIISt

It's alright! I have a solution!

Can you help me get one that actually still has Garnet's full tooth smile showing while Jasper is charging her?

And yes I've listened to it several times every day since the episode aired. >_>

That moment was absolutely perfect in every single way.

Buildup to the
"Garnet is a fusion"
reveal? Check.
The underdog taking down someone who has previously beaten them? Check.
Did the underdog completely style all over them and show why they're the boss? Check.
Explanation of the biggest mystery sorrounding the character? Check.
Badass "Who I am" statement? Check.
In song form? Check.
Awesome fight scene? Check.

I'm probably missing a few, but you get the idea. I can't think of many things that could've made that moment any better, and how carefully the entire show had to be crafted so that moment could exist is a totally different thing. It's a complete, perfect merging between story, music, and animation that is rarely done this well.

Psxphile

It's nice, but I prefer it the way it was. It was Garnet's song and that scene showed that Peridot isn't in the same league as the other gems. If she poses any threat in the future it will be due to her building robots or mining stronger gems to aid her.

Oh, most definitely. Garnet deserves to have her own song, Jailbreak was her time to shine and she nailed it. But I find the idea of a Peridotmix hilarious (I mean, who else thought she was going to get into it after that first line?). Apparently other people do too.

Kangi

It's alright! I have a solution!

Can you help me get one that actually still has Garnet's full tooth smile showing while Jasper is charging her?

Here's one.

09kukc.png

Another neat factoid, the pilot was even more obvious with Garnet being surrounded by Ruby and Sapphire. Other neat things about the pilot. Sadie had a crush on Steven (before they switched things around and introduced Connie) and the plot revolved around the time traveling hourglass seen in Steven and the Stevens.

IMO the most obvious one for me (on a rewatch) was when Garnet opened the door to her room and two gems lit up on the door, one red and one blue. Also the fact that Garnet has two gems in the first place :p

RagnarokX

IMO the most obvious one for me (on a rewatch) was when Garnet opened the door to her room and two gems lit up on the door, one red and one blue. Also the fact that Garnet has two gems in the first place :p

People keep pointing out Garnet's smile in Alone Together, but before that this exchange went down:

Pearl: “No one expects you to get fusion right away, Steven”.
Amethyst: “Yeah, it's really hard. Even for us!”
Garnet: “Not for me”

Zubz

Banned

Yeah. After noticing that, "opens two doors with her gems," I had a feeling there was more to her before fusions were even a thing. Granted, I just assumed she carried a dead gem's... gem, until Giant Woman. Still, I honestly never noticed the 2 shooting stars in the intro and a few other hints about that until now. I love those kinds of things; foreshadowing you would have a really hard time noticing on a first watch.

In all, this was a great week for this show! Kind of disappointed that The Return/Jailbreak didn't get more views; I love the show as it is, but I'd love to see more action-oriented episodes involving the homeworld gems. Maybe its because of the parallels with the "The Saiyans are Coming" arc, but that was pretty cool. I can't wait to see what happens now that there's 3 other non-corrupted gems on Earth; Peridot clearly landed somewhere (relatively) near Beach City (Assuming it's in the Delmarva area), and Malachite's fusion was already destabilizing as she went underwater. Maybe all 7/8 gems'll have to work together to fight the homeworld (Lapis is clearly done with it, and maybe they'll be targetting Jasper & Peridot for their failure, too). But in the meantime? I'll take character-focused episodes that'd be filler for any other show; it's its specialty!

KiN0

For me it was the fact that her voice actress was a famous singer. I alway thought it was weird that she was the only one of the crystal gems to have a famous singer voicing her but after finding out that aimee man voiced opal, it sort of clicked with the rest of the evidence.

Raxus

People keep pointing out Garnet's smile in Alone Together, but before that this exchange went down:

Yep lots of neat little things looking back.

Several big mysteries remain namely the mural we see back in Serious Steven and whatever Lion is.

Acerac

Banned
Excellent.

Love the avatar.

Just rewatched this episode with a friend who was seeing it for the first time. He's absolutely convinced Garnet is a fusion.

Smart man. :)

Several of the gems have VAs that are accomplished singers. Maybe not international superstars like Estelle but they can all carry a tune. Hell, even Sadie... so I can only assume she'll get to sing on Steven Universe at some point.

Typically singers voice fusions... SADIE IS A FUSION CONFIRMED!!!!

Psxphile

Several of the gems have VAs that are accomplished singers. Maybe not international superstars like Estelle but they can all carry a tune. Hell, even Sadie... so I can only assume she'll get to sing on Steven Universe at some point.

Now I'm slightly disappointed they didn't use this version. Go peridot lol.

Just so everyone's clear this is 100% fan made. A fan made the lyrics and posted them on tumblr, and then some girl who normally does fan dub videos saw the lyrics and recorded it in a (perfect) Peridot voice. But the Crewniverse has seen it now and they love it! Hahaha

jwk94

Just so everyone's clear this is 100% fan made. A fan made the lyrics and posted them on tumblr, and then some girl who normally does fan dub videos saw the lyrics and recorded it in a (perfect) Peridot voice. But the Crewniverse has seen it now and they love it! Hahaha

Wait, that's not Peridot's actually VA? =/

Toxi

Banned
I kinda want to see the fan dubs now considering how good that impression was.

Juni_

We've seen what Amethyst and Pearl relation to Rose was now I want to what Garnet's was.
If i had to guess I would say Rose was the one who introduces a Ruby and Sapphire to each other.

Psxphile

Nope!

I read through her tumblr a bit and apparently someone tweeted it at Peridot's actual VA and she fav'd the tweet, so that's pretty rad.

My fault, should have clarified that it was a fan recording of another fan's very good attempt at writing lyrics for Peridot (one that I linked to earlier in the thread). By "they" I meant the fans who had a vested interest in having Peridot sing along somehow.

Nope, they've confirmed that she no longer had future vision at that point, and was struggling to see at all.

It could be something only available when fused.

yeah, i'm under the impression that it's only something they have gained after fusing, since garnet has one red eye and one blue eye, with the future vision third eye being a fused purple color

Juni_

Garnet's future vison seems to be less effective the more unknown variables there are.

Which explains why she was afraid of Peridot, a gem she never seen before in Warp Tour.
Also why she was destabilize by an advance crystal technology she probably hasn't seen before and why she was able to put up a much better fight with Jasper the second time.

jwk94

Nope, they've confirmed that she no longer had future vision at that point, and was struggling to see at all.

It could be something only available when fused.

By struggling to see, do you mean she's blind or that she had become so reliant on it that she was having a hard time adjusting to normal vision?

Firehead

Dammit. I still have 'Stronger Than You' stuck in my head. It's just so damned good.

By struggling to see, do you mean she's blind or that she had become so reliant on it that she was having a hard time adjusting to normal vision?

Struggling to see where Sapphire was.

Hamlet

Speaking of Sadie one of the SU writers confirmed that this was Sadie's mum in The Return.
MhGToq4.png

Q: Hey Raven, was the person Sadie was next to when looking at Greg and Steven in The Return her mother or her brother (Or father)? My brain immediately said mother but some other people said brother so I want you to clear the air, who was it exactly?
A: No problem. Its her mother. :)
Raven M. Molisee

Another thing people seem to be overlooking is the "alone" line.

In Alone Together Stevonnie starts freaking out because she feels alone at the dance.

In Jail Break Steven asked Garnet if she's gonna be ok being all alone and she replies with "Im never alone". Steven looks at her for a moment and then smiles.

Feel like Steven will take this with him when Stevonnie comes out again.

Acrylic7

Has anyone got any theories why Jasper called Pearl a defective Gem?

I always had this theory that all 3 were somehow considered broken or defective by Homeworld Gems and that's why they were with Rose and away on Earth.
I know Pearl is overly emotional but I think there is more to it.

Has anyone got any theories why Jasper called Pearl a defective Gem?

I always had this theory that all 3 were somehow considered broken or defective by Homeworld Gems and that's why they were with Rose and away on Earth.
I know Pearl is overly emotional but I think there is more to it.

She specifically referred to Pearl as a defective pearl. That wording has led people to believe that Pearl is perhaps a mass-produced model of gem.

Acerac

Banned
Does anyone have any idea how old Greg is? When I look at him he looks a caveman to me lol.

Either in his 40s... or legitimately a caveman. His body language when telling Steven about the gem's past was all kinds of messed up.

Unbounded

She specifically referred to Pearl as a defective pearl. That wording has led people to believe that Pearl is perhaps a mass-produced model of gem.

There's also how Rose called her "my pearl". It's very possible that pearl is like a "battle android" or something to that effect.

There's also this thing that we've seen more than once where Pearl is clinging to Garnet. Not sure what's up with that.

Tizoc

Either in his 40s... or legitimately a caveman. His body language when telling Steven about the gem's past was all kinds of messed up.

Maybe while with Rose she let him see what the war was like? Maybe and ability or some Gem tech that let him experience the war as if he was there.

Also in Episode 8, who is the Gem that Rose is fighting in the mural inside the pyramid? Yellow Diamond? You can also see a similar symbol in the pyramid as in Peridot's hand ship.

Juni_

I going to guess that Pearls are a class of gems who known to be both technological and physically capable. Pearl is "defective" because she's not as smart or as strong as her class is known for.

Tizoc

I going to guess that Pearls are a class of gems who known to be both technological and physically capable. Pearl is "defective" because she's not as smart or as strong as her class is known for.

Maybe because she's very emotional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom