• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.
ty8fcsN.png

WE
Are the Crystal Gems
We'll always save the day
And if you think you can't, we'll
Always find a way
That's why the people of this world
Believe in
Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl
And Steven!

ZFkHFHL.png

Steven is the proverbial “little brother” to a team of magical guardians of humanity, the CRYSTAL GEMS! Steven may not be as powerful as the Crystal Gems. Or as smart. And he may not have any control over the magical powers that come out of his bellybutton. But that doesn’t stop him from joining Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl on their magical adventures - where Steven always finds a surprising way to save the day.

NmqvYf9.png

hzNvNU4.png

Steven Universe (voiced by Zach Callison) is the happy-go-lucky eponymous protagonist. The son of former Gem Rose Quartz (who died giving birth to Steven and passed on her powers to him) and Greg Universe (a one-hit wonder musician whose stage name is apparently his legal name), Steven acts as sort of a surrogate little brother for the other three gems. Although his heart is bigger than his brain, he still manages to do the right thing when it counts and unfailingly bring a smile to the faces of everyone he meets.

WEXpqQR.png

Garnet (voiced by Estelle) is the strong, silent leader of the Gems whose icy demeanor masks her kind, caring nature. She fights using a pair of crimson gauntlets summoned from the gems on her hands.

fJRb3YK.png

Amethyst (voiced by Michaela Dietz) is the Gems' token slacker; a rather immature girl who values having fun above completing missions. Despite this, she can still be very deadly when push comes to shove, and fights using a multi-tipped whip summoned from the gem on her chest.

89AXn4P.png

Pearl (voiced by Deedee Magno) is the most motherly of the gems, and the one in charge of making sure Steven stays out of trouble while learning to control his powers. She is also the best character in the show, which is something you'll have to accept if you want to post in this thread. Pearl fights using a naginata summoned from the gem on her forehead.

pdWONYR.png

FAQ said:
When does this show air?

Wednesdays at 7:00 EST, only on Cartoon Network.

Why does this show remind me of Adventure Time?

Steven Universe was created by Rebecca Sugar, who previously served as a storyboard artist and writer for Adventure Time. Chances are she probably was involved in your favourite episode of AT, since her work on the show has nabbed her two Emmy nominations.

I don't think Pearl is the best character.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK.

Episode Guide said:
101: Gem Glow (First aired on November 4th, 2013)

102: Laser Light Cannon (First aired on November 4th, 2013)

103: Cheeseburger Backpack (First aired on November 11th, 2013)

104: Together Breakfast (First aired on November 11th, 2013)

105: Frybo (First aired on November 18th, 2013)

106: Cat Fingers (First aired on November 25th, 2013)

107: Bubble Buddies (First aired on December 2nd, 2013)

108: Serious Steven (First aired on January 13, 2014)

109: Tiger Millionaire (First aired on January 20th, 2014)

110: Steven's Lion (First aired on January 27th, 2014)

Let Me Drive My Van Into Your Heart

The music in this show is amazing! I'm not sure if I really like it yet, but I can say that I like the music. Animation is pretty decent as well.

Also, I loved this moment:

Pearl: "Steven what's wrong!?"
Steven: "N-nothing, I just turned all my fingers into cats..."
ibgYqp2XyCtR4r.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sweet, an OT for this series.

Great animation combined with some really fun scripts. It's amazing what Cartoon Network has been putting out lately (and then I remember Johnny Test still exists...). Still, Steven Universe is worth watching.

Also, I'll be the first to bring up Cat-suo!

CotdFcA.gif

barrbarr

Sorry bro Pearl is alright, but she has nothing on Amethyst. Started watching this show a few weeks ago and really enjoy it.

Great animation combined with some really fun scripts. It's amazing what Cartoon Network has been putting out lately (and then I remember Johnny Test still exists...). Still, Steven Universe is worth watching.

CotdFcA.gif
That's horrifying!

I like Connie because she looks EXACTLY like my girlfriend. lol
Also, Steven is so dang stupid and I love it.

EDIT: THAT GEM REFERENCE~

After watching all of the episodes so far, I still don't know what to make of it. Yes, the music and songs are very very good, but the show overall, well....I don't know.

I get the feeling that a lot of stuff will be explained over time, but they really aren't saying too much as to what is going on in this world. There's just too many questions that I know if they are eventually answered, will take a long time for us to to know about it. I mean, I see why they would do this, and plenty of other shows do this as well, but come on give us information D:

Favorite episode so far: Bubble buddies - Good character development with Steven and a nice intro to Connie, really fun designs with everything, and I really like the design of Connie. I believe she's also in the theme so we'll at least see more of her.

Least Episode: Cheeseburger Backpack - Only because the animation, I felt, was awful. It was all over the place and not consistent at all especially with facial expressions. Eyes go from normal to freakishly out of proportion. Compared to the other episodes this ones the odd man out. Perhaps this was the first one in production so I can see why it's so different.

Silkworm

I enjoy this show as well (thanks for the nice OT, ScraftyDevil) and I'm glad Steven stays happily silly and hasn't become serious, even in the Serious Steven recent episode (though he was getting a little freaked out by all those trap rooms). Kind of a cool dungeon/puzzle in that episode as well. In time I hope we learn more about Steven's mom (learned about his family a bit more when he had to get the laser light cannon from his dad's storage) and more about the role of the Gems but all in good time :)

Least Episode: Cheeseburger Backpack - Only because the animation, I felt, was awful. It was all over the place and not consistent at all especially with facial expressions. Eyes go from normal to freakishly out of proportion. Compared to the other episodes this ones the odd man out. Perhaps this was the first one in production so I can see why it's so different.

Ian boarded that one so it's done in his style. I was thrown off a lot by it too because you can see Rebecca's drawings become Ian's but in the design notes for Steven's character they do point out that Steven can change his general shape around and be a cartoon sometimes so he's never technically "off model" when it happens.

Ian boarded that one so it's done in his style. I was thrown off a lot by it too because you can see Rebecca's drawings become Ian's but in the design notes for Steven's character they do point out that Steven can change his general shape around and be a cartoon sometimes so he's never technically "off model" when it happens.

Ah thanks for the info! Definitely understandable

TheOGB

Banned
First I just want to say that the thread title gave me a hearty chuckle.

This show's pretty darn good so far. Definitely charming in its own kinda way; the main characters all have their flaws, but they're still endearing and entertaining. IIRC Rebecca Sugar said that's what she was aiming for, and she's succeeding. Steven and his dad put this perfectly: "If every pork chop were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs."

Favorite episodes so far are Serious Steven and Together Breakfast ("Now it has all the powers of a breakfast!"), but every episode's been great so far.

Acrylic7

I was exited for this show but so far nothing makes sense and there is no attempt at character progression.
I honestly dont know what the show is about.

Steven is the main character who is the son of a Gem. But he cant use his powers yet, and when he does its either by accident or random luck. We are how many episodes in and there is no attempt to describe his character. Every episode has absolutely nothing to do with nothing; Its almost like Adventure Time randomness but we aren't learning anything about whats going on.
Why is he with the Gems, why are the Gems on earth, what do they actually do, hell what are Gems exactly? Backstory, plot, motivations, reasoning, ya gotta give me something other than fighting anonymous enemy's and situations that develop into nothing that are there just to make a cartoon episode.

Finally, Cartoon Network produces a good show. It's been so long.

Of course that weird animation is intentional.

bro where you been?

Amikami

Banned
Cool. An OT for this. Seen some episodes and thought it had a really awesome visual style and fun feel. Hopefully it progresses nicely. Shows like this is why there is no such thing as growing out of cartoons for me.

Persona7

Banned
I was exited for this show but so far nothing makes sense and there is no attempt at character progression.

Steven is the main character who is the son of a Gem. But he cant use his powers yet, and when he does its either by accident or random luck. We are how many episodes in and there is no attempt to describe his character. Every episode has absolutely nothing to do with nothing; Its almost like Adventure Time randomness but we aren't learning anything about whats going on.
Why is he with the Gems, why are the Gems on earth, what do they actually do, hell what are Gems exactly? Backstory, plot, motivations, reasoning, ya gotta give me something other than fighting anonymous enemy's and situations that develop into nothing that are there just to make a cartoon episode.

bro where you been?

I worded that wrong. I have not liked any of the recent shows on CN including adventure time.

I'm not sure if these are intentional or not? On Adventure Time when you see these kinds of weird movements or scenes, it's just the style. I haven't gotten a good grasp of the show yet, so I can't tell if these were intentional or not.
Btw, this was my favorite episode, right next to the first. That van song got me on the first episode. I like the Cheeseburger Backpack episode, because of the Mr. Queasy doll. That dolls quote's were so funny.
The weird drawings are 100% intentional, as I said that episode is boarded by Ian and those are his drawings on the screen. Also I don't know if you were trying to point out disappearing/reappearing eyebrows as a flaw but that's a super old cartooning thing where they appear as needed.

They've stated that the first half of this season was purely to lay down the foundation for all of that. If you actually think they've done nothing to describe Steven's character we might be watching different shows because it's been incredibly clear since the Pilot who he is and what his motivations are. And we have plenty of answers to your questions already.

Q: Are Steven's powers activated randomly?
A: No, it's strongly hinted at in Cookie Cat that when Steven feels love/togetherness from his team he can access his Gem ability. His other powers need to be learned, he's a young and inexperienced kid and his mentors are typically too busy to be hassled with teaching him, or simply don't understand him well enough to give him proper advice.

Q: Why is Steven with the Gems?
A: His mother was their leader, and when he was born she gave up her life force for his. He has a gem, much like his mother's, so even though he is young he is still a Crystal Gem and technically part of their team.

Q: Why are the gems on Earth?
A: They're here because they're guardians of the Crystal Realm and when things come through into our world they fight them to protect us. This is kind of a pointless question though, they're here because they're here. Sailor Moon was on Earth because if she wasn't there'd be no story. Why is there running water and fire in SpongeBob, Regular Show clearly takes place on Earth but there are talking animals and other inanimate objects which are never explained, etc Sometimes you just have to let that kind of thing go as part of the world the show takes place in, not everything is a deep mystery (though I'm sure they'll actually answer this as the show progresses)

Q: What do they actually do?
A: They protect us from otherworldly creatures that come in from the Crystal Realm or tears in time/space/reality.

Q: What are the Gems exactly?
A: They're a race of people from another world that obviously has some kind of connection to Earth. It would appear the Crystal Gems are the last of that race, and from the glimpses of the Crystal Realm we've seen, their world is old and fragile, often in a state of decay or ruin.

The season is likely like every other CN show, and there will be 26 12-minute episodes. We've seen 8 of them. All these questions will be much further explained as the show goes on. It's barely even started. I don't know how you can say there's no character progression when we're less than 1/3rd of the way into the first season.
Since the Pilot, Steven and the Gems have learned what his Crystal Power is, he's learned he can transform his body, and that he can create a bubble orb shield. That's 3 out of 8 episodes dealing with him learning about his powers, two more episodes involve him actually going on missions with the Gems into the Crystal Realm and helping them solve the problem, and one episode that's backstory about his mom, dad, and the Gems. So 6 of the 8 episodes we've seen have been character or story progression.

Acrylic7

The weird drawings are 100% intentional, as I said that episode is boarded by Ian and those are his drawings on the screen. Also I don't know if you were trying to point out disappearing/reappearing eyebrows as a flaw but that's a super old cartooning thing where they appear as needed.

They've stated that the first half of this season was purely to lay down the foundation for all of that. If you actually think they've done nothing to describe Steven's character we might be watching different shows because it's been incredibly clear since the Pilot who he is and what his motivations are. And we have plenty of answers to your questions already.

Q: Are Steven's powers activated randomly?
A: No, it's strongly hinted at in Cookie Cat that when Steven feels love/togetherness from his team he can access his Gem ability. His other powers need to be learned, he's a young and inexperienced kid and his mentors are typically too busy to be hassled with teaching him, or simply don't understand him well enough to give him proper advice.

Q: Why is Steven with the Gems?
A: His mother was their leader, and when he was born she gave up her life force for his. He has a gem, much like his mother's, so even though he is young he is still a Crystal Gem and technically part of their team.

Q: Why are the gems on Earth?
A: They're here because they're guardians of the Crystal Realm and when things come through into our world they fight them to protect us. This is kind of a pointless question though, they're here because they're here. Sailor Moon was on Earth because if she wasn't there'd be no story. Why is there running water and fire in SpongeBob, Regular Show clearly takes place on Earth but there are talking animals and other inanimate objects which are never explained, etc Sometimes you just have to let that kind of thing go as part of the world the show takes place in, not everything is a deep mystery (though I'm sure they'll actually answer this as the show progresses)

Q: What do they actually do?
A: They protect us from otherworldly creatures that come in from the Crystal Realm or tears in time/space/reality.

Q: What are the Gems exactly?
A: They're a race of people from another world that obviously has some kind of connection to Earth. It would appear the Crystal Gems are the last of that race, and from the glimpses of the Crystal Realm we've seen, their world is old and fragile, often in a state of decay or ruin.

The season is likely like every other CN show, and there will be 26 12-minute episodes. We've seen 8 of them. All these questions will be much further explained as the show goes on. It's barely even started. I don't know how you can say there's no character progression when we're less than 1/3rd of the way into the first season.
Since the Pilot, Steven and the Gems have learned what his Crystal Power is, he's learned he can transform his body, and that he can create a bubble orb shield. That's 3 out of 8 episodes dealing with him learning about his powers, two more episodes involve him actually going on missions with the Gems into the Crystal Realm and helping them solve the problem, and one episode that's backstory about his mom, dad, and the Gems. So 6 of the 8 episodes we've seen have been character or story progression.

Yeah, I got that they are hero's from the intro song.
I know all of this from the show, but still the episodes dont progress anything. I still feel as if I'm watching nothing happen. I'm still as clueless as I was when the first episode started.
Maybe a special 1 hour movie/episode should have been shown from the beginning.

No we have not learned what Stevens power is. So far its a random shield and a bubble. and apparently all of them or at least Amethyst can shape shift so that's not special at all.

But yeah it is too early to jump the gun, I just hope it picks up.

Tizoc

I went in without knowing anything about this show or its premise, figured most of it out by the first or 2nd ep. I guess
I LOVE the characters, ALL of them so far, even the 2 big donut staff.
I like that it doesn't explain anything too, which I am also fine with, shit just happens, the Crystal Gems fight evil and we get some really nice heartwarming scenes.

Yeah, I got that they are hero's from the intro song.
I know all of this from the show, but still the episodes dont progress anything. I still feel as if I'm watching nothing happen. I'm still as clueless as I was when the first episode started.
Maybe a special 1 hour movie/episode should have been shown from the beginning.

No we have not learned what Stevens power is. So far its a random shield and a bubble. and apparently all of them or at least Amethyst can shape shift so that's not special at all.

But yeah it is too early to jump the gun, I just hope it picks up.

We totally know what Steven's Gem power is - it's the Crystal Shield. That entire episode was just about his Gem power. Garnet is fists, Pearl is the staff, Amethyst is a whip, and Steven is a shield. There was nothing random about it, like the entire plot of that episode was them discovering it and then him trying to figure out how to summon it again. And yes, all of the Gems can transform, I don't think they ever insinuate that that's only a Steven power. The bubble obviously is though, since it develops out of a giant rose and his mom was Rose Quartz. And they all have more powers that we don't even know about yet wheeee~~

Not all shows follow one continuous storyline that starts in one episode and continues on through multiple more throughout the season to progress a story. At the end of the day, even though anyone can watch and enjoy it, it's still a kid's show and very, very, VERY rarely do they follow a plotline that moves forward each episode like most adult TV does. (I was told when pitching at Disney that they actually specifically avoid doing this because kids get confused when they can't follow the plot and they stop watching it) Steven Universe is episodic so not every episode is going to move the over-arcing plot forward. It has to establish itself first and then it can start filling in the details.
I'm glad you're gonna keep giving it a chance because it's gonna get sooo much better :) Just like Adventure Time there will be plenty of random episodes (Frybo) but they'll still sprinkle in the mythology episodes (Laser Light Canon, Gem Glow) too. But don't take my word for it!

Ian J.Q. said:
The rest of the season will resume in January! At first we were all bummed about the hiatus but it worked out pretty well as a stopping point- the first seven SU episodes are introductory setup of the basics of the world & characters so it’s a good place to take a breather. The next batch will build on what’s been laid out so far.

Source: Ian's tumblr

:D

Edit: Also, Steven Universe season 1 WILL be 26 episodes after all, so they have plenty of time :D

Better than Uncle Grandpa, that's for sure.

HE LEFT HIS WHOLE FAMILY BEHIND.

Uncle Grandpa, ugh. Don't get me started on that show. There's nothing wrong with Uncle Grandpa himself, or even the premise of the show. Its just that every other character is terrible, and the show thrives on the randomness of Uncle Grandpa. It's just not pulled off well.

Ah, I was wondering why that episode looked so off. I knew about the reappearing and disappearing eyebrows thing being intentional, but I was more speaking about only 1 eyebrow appearing instead of both sometimes in that scene. It seemed like a flaw.

Regardless, the rest of the episode looked great. Just that one scene where she picks Steven up and dropped him looked off.

Ah, I was wondering why that episode looked so off. I knew about the reappearing and disappearing eyebrows thing being intentional, but I was more speaking about only 1 eyebrow appearing instead of both sometimes in that scene. It seemed like a flaw.

Regardless, the rest of the episode looked great. Just that one scene where she picks Steven up and dropped him looked off.

Yeah, I don't know if there will be another episode quite like that one was visually, you can still tell some of Ian's drawings in other episodes, but that one was super SUPER cartoony looking. It threw me off as I was watching it - not like it's bad or anything it just sticks out like crazy compared to the other ones.

Tizoc

Just caught up so a few things-

1- Is Garnet supposed to have a british accent? Because it seems her VA goes off into having a more american accent sometimes @_@
2- Are the trio supposed to be the last remaining Crystal Gems or are they the only ones remaining on that plane?
3- The scene with Corrie in the bubble was hearwarming <3

CotdFcA.gif

Saw that episode last night. Shit was freaky xD

Awesome show, btw. Really impressed with it so far.

1- Is Garnet supposed to have a british accent? Because it seems her VA goes off into having a more american accent sometimes @_@
2- Are the trio supposed to be the last remaining Crystal Gems or are they the only ones remaining on that plane?

1. Well her voice actress (Estelle) is English so...?

2. From what's been revealed so far they're the last remaining, they always talk about the other Crystal Gems in past-tense. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more show up in the future though, like they went into hiding or a safe zone or something? We don't know quite enough yet.

The creatures in this show are always nightmarish, but funny.
jbkGDXA4X4RLcC.BMP

Just had to comment that your avatar is awesome.

The latest episode was so great! Steven being a dirty manager was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. This might be my new favorite episode now.

Sadsic

This show has really fucking good writing, as good or even better than Gravity Falls

Like the climax of this last episode (Tiger Millionaire) has just as much resonance as when Mabel or Dipper fight with each other because you know its out of the ordinary, like its their normal behavior to help one another.

In older cartoons from the 80s and 90s, or really any comedy (maybe even television as a whole?) in general, it was always the imperative of the main characters to hurt each other because it made for easier routs of humor; an example would be the relationship between Bart and Lisa in The Simpsons. their normal behavior is to annoy and bother each other, and only under emotional duress reveal that they love each other. this is very old hat in 2014, and is the complete reversal of the behavior of the main characters in this show.

Shows like this one, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers are really bringing life back into western animated comedies by bringing together a renewed interest in honest emotional connections in the main characters, something I believe is an aspiration of the Millennial Generation in general

and that is my little rant on this show

Azzurri

Amethyst is the best character in the show

Btw there has been a lot of great animated shows on TV. Better than the real sitcoms.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Cartoon Network has really been on a roll lately. I'm so glad they seemed to have turned around - I remember when they were trying to focus on live-action shows. That sucked.

TheOGB

Banned
New episode was pretty funny. I enjoyed Lars marking out and getting salty, and also when shit got real for a sec and Garnet had to let em know what was up.

I really like this show. It has a great premise, and it has a lot of sentiment involved in the story lines. I also like how the animation is clearly not the best. It makes the whole thing humble and simply, enjoyable. Simple, good, fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom