• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still no SMT 4 news for EU

MYE

Ugh someone hammer Atlus and NOE Twitters

To be fair, NoE was really, really good to Europe last generation. It wasn't just Xenoblade. It was also Disaster, Another Code R, The Last Window, Inazuma Eleven, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower. The first three never did come out in NA, and IE just came out in NA today. Of course, that doesn't excuse the lack of SMT4 at all, especially since it was already announced for Europe.

Dont forget Fatal Frame 2 Wii remake

Well another direct and more silence, I'm gonna email Nintendo again but the last time I did they just said they had no info to give.
Don't bother (expecting a response) unless you can write German. Here is the Nintendo UK response to any question.
Thank you for your email.

Nintendo has no official announcement about your query at this time.

We therefore apologise as we are unable to help you further, however you can keep updated for any further announcements or updates directly from us by signing up to our newsletter at www.nintendo.co.uk or by subscribing to the Official Nintendo Magazine, or alternatively by turning on your 'Home Notifications' on the Nintendo 3DS. Additionally you can find further information and updates using the Nintendo Wii U and Miiverse application.

We hope this information helps you out, and we wish you a happy gaming experience.

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Your Nintendo UK Team

If someone could come up with a German template to send to the nintendo.de support e-mail it would be appreciated. Even back in 2006 I found the German support knew a lot more than the UK ones (they knew Zelda TP GC was coming in December when Nintendo UK were basically "Nintendo has no official announcement about your query at this time.") but in recent times they see my google translated German and tell me in English to contact the useless UK team.

tried contacting sega but dont think i have the right email and they wont give me the right email if so. Tried Atlus too, not holding my breath, last time i contacted them they never bothered replying.

Ulumsk

The best thing is that there isn't a single person at Nintendo/Sega that can give a simple yes or no as far as what the plan is. How these companies are still alive is beyond me.

RalchAC

Absolutely fuck Nintendo, it is because of their backwards anti-consumer policies that I can't even import it like I did with a number of DS games.

It's also why I will never get to play Rune Factory 4 unless I buy a used US system. Not buying new, they don't deserve more of my money.

I'm normally one to defend them, but this is one thing that is completely undefendable.

Yep, same feeling. The problem is I don't want to have the same machine 2 times, so I'm not going to buy 2 2DS because Nintendo just doesn't make sense.

Until I hold it in my own two hands, I will just assume it got canceled without any notice.

Only quoted to say I really like your avatar <3

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sending an email because it'll just be me telling Nintendo Europe to fuck themselves.

Just be concrete and constructive. Telling them to fuck off wont help anything. Show some interest in the game. If they get the impression a lot of people really want to play it, maybe they'll speed things up. maybe.

pa22word

Everytime this topic gets bumped I become more and more disgusted.

Even though I didn't like SMT4 vs 3 for reasons, the fact you europals can't even get to experience fills me with rage.

Region locking is a crime. Pure and simple.

The original confirmation of SMT4 for Europe was one of the major reasons I bought an EU 3DS instead of importing one.

Same here actually. I had been hesitant of buying an EU console prior to that confirmation having been bitten by region locking in the past. The announcement that SMT4 was heading for a Nintendo-published EU release went a large way towards convincing me that Nintendo were actually going to attempt to prevent region-locking from having a negative impact on their consumers' choice of games this time around.

I am still fairly optimistic that we will see a release of the game eventually, but this delay in and of itself is pretty galling. The fact that they are unwilling to actually make any comment about the status of the release is what irritates me the most though. A lack of respect for the audience as far as I am concerned, it certainly has done nothing to endear them to me.

I've given up on the EU release of this game, coupled Rune Factory 4 and Unchained Blades and I'm just annoyed. I'll update this thread if I hear anything but i'm not holding my breath.

RpgN

Okay, let's think things through and bring up some facts:

-Shibata officially announced the game's release on a Nintendo Direct of April 17 2013.
-Amazon UK has the game up for pre-order with Nintendo as a publisher and no further information.
-Nintendo has been very quiet about the game ever since.
-Etrian Odyssey Untold has a release date because it's being published by NISA who are very quick when it comes to these sort of things.

To me it seems to be more likely that the game is being published by Nintendo. They tend to be incredibly slow with releasing their games because they localize multiple games and they like to spread their stuff out to fill a year the way they want it. I doubt this has anything to do with negotiations* or problems with Sega, as Sega has worked with Nintendo before to get stuff published, Atlus games are niche as they can get etc.

There are two scenarios that can come out of this. Either they:

A) Are still publishing the game but they're taking their sweet ass time and planning things according to their desirable schedule.
B) They are no longer interested in publishing the game, although this seems to be highly unlikely after they went through the trouble of announcing it.

This leaves the question why they're being so quiet about it. Do they want to give attention to other games like EO by not mentioning this just yet?

Either way, it would be best for us to find ways to contact Nintendo and get an answer out of them.

*This is bordering on speculation. It might have something to do with it. We can never be sure.

I got an e-mail back from Nintendo UK telling me that ATLUS is the publisher for this title.
What? (not to the ATLUS news but the Nintendo UK not being a waste of time news)

Which Atlus should people pester now, Japan or America?

But still this makes even less sense as like game whose name I forgot that is soon coming out is pretty close between America and Europe which makes me wonder why it did not come out months ago (when I still cared...on the plus side sales in America should also affect Europe).

RpgN

Maybe Nintendo UK employees don't know the full details and just said the developer is the publisher?

Semajer

This is the e-mail response I received minus names and images and stuff:

Thank you for your email regarding Shin Megami Tensei IV.

We can confirm that Nintendo has no official announcement about your query at this time.

We therefore apologise as we are unable to help you further, however you can keep updated for any further announcements or updates directly from us by signing up to our newsletter at www.nintendo.co.uk or by subscribing to the Official Nintendo Magazine, or alternatively by turning on your 'Home Notifications' on the Nintendo 3DS. Additionally you can find further information and updates using the Nintendo Wii U and Miiverse application.

Furthermore we can confirm that the publisher for this title is Atlus. We would recommend contacting the publisher in order to enquire with this matter further.

You can contact Atlus via the following link: http://www.atlus.com/contactus.php

We hope this information helps you out and we wish you a happy gaming experience.

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

FireSol

That's probably the best bet at this point if you're an Atlus diehard.

well, it is a solution to this problem, but at the same time that means that we are forced to support this region lock politic with our wallets. some of 3DS users own 2 consoles to play the games they want and Nintendo is happy, because they sell systems and there is no way they will change anything in that situation

I was so disapointed...I could go for SMT4 jp but my japanese is so weak, I don't know...Didn't they find a way to remove the region locked or something ?

Semajer

The only hope is that they're waiting for SMT4 Maniax to bring it.

I'd be okay with that. It would explain the infuriating silence. It's not the first time something like that has held back localisation news either. MH3U and Bravely Default were both like this.

Jisgsaw

If someone could come up with a German template to send to the nintendo.de support e-mail it would be appreciated.

If you give me an english template, it should be quick. But I don't really see the point, they'll have the same info as UK or any other NoE.

It makes very little sense to announce a game where the publisher of all things wasn't finalized.

SMT IV and Bravely Default were even announced in the same ND from April 2013 and they don't mention the publisher for either. We only knew from the US ND..

It makes about as much sense as sitting on a franchise without doing anything to even remotely giving it a chance in Europe, doesn't stop Atlus of doing for 10+ years.

But yeah, my bad for BD. Maybe I'm being to pessimistic/spiteful with Atlus, but these past years have been awfull for Atlus PAL gamers.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually surprised at how upset I am about this. Might be because SMT is my favourite series. And digital-only would just mildly reduce my pissage.
It's just stupid how fucked this whole SMTxEurope affair is since forever basically. I guess we got lucky with Soul Hackers.

If you give me an english template, it should be quick. But I don't really see the point, they'll have the same info as UK or any other NoE.
From the past this is not true. From September 2006.
UK said:
Hi,

Unfortunately we haven't been given any news of this yet, sorry.

Kind Regards,

Nintendo Support
Germany said:
Sehr geehrter Herr,

vielen Dank für Ihre eMail und Ihr Interesse an den Nintendo-Produkten.

Das Spiel "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" für den Nintendo GameCube ist für Dezember 2006 geplant. Der genaue Erscheinungstermin hierfür steht derzeit jedoch noch nicht fest.
The replies were 6 days apart so maybe the situation changed between then but this was not the only time this happened. The UK one could literally be for anything.

So that quick template:
Hi,

I was wondering if you had any news regarding the release of Shin Megami Tensei 4 in Europe?

I have not heard anything since NOE announced it was coming to Europe in the April 2013 Nintendo Direct and given recent news regarding rune Factory 4 (a third party game which was cancelled) I am fearing the worst.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 was one of the reasons I purchased the 3DS. I currently feel that the purchase of a European system was a mistake (due to the region locking feature preventing me from having the choice of purchasing a North American copy of the game).
Maybe the last paragraph is a bit excessive...

Jisgsaw

Hallo,

Ich möchte mich bei Ihnen informieren, ob Sie Neuigkeiten über das 3DS Spiel "Shin Megami Tensei IV" hätten.
Seit der Ankündigung des Spieles für Europa während des Nintendo Direct vom April letzten Jahres gab es keine neue Miteilungen von NoE über Status der Lokalisierung, grobes Veröffentlichungszeitraum oder gar Publisher (auch wenn vieles darauf hindeutet, dass dieser NoE ist). Frührere Beispiele wie Rune Factory lassen da wegen mangels an Kommunication das schlimste befürchten (das das Spiel nie in Europa erhältlich wird).

Da das Nintendo 3DS System es auch nicht zuläst, Spiele von fremdliche Regionen (also z.B. USA) zu lesen, würde dies heißen, dass ich dieses von mir höchsterwartetes Spiel (eigentlich der Grund, weshalb ich eine 3DS Spielkonsole in erster Linie gekauft habe) nie spielen werden kann...

Ich würde mich über jede Information, die Sie mir miteilen können, freuen, und Danke im Voraus für Ihre Antwort,
Mit besten Grüßen,

XX

Tweaked it a bit, but the core message is there.

dan2026

Atlus are THE literal worst when it comes to releasing games.

THE LITERAL WORST.
I can't stand all the praise they get. Its completely undeserved.

Seriously fuck them and fuck Nintendo for their horrible region locking.

Atlus are THE literal worst when it comes to releasing games.

THE LITERAL WORST.
I can't stand all the praise they get. Its completely undeserved.

Seriously fuck them and fuck Nintendo for their horrible region locking.

I really just discovered Atlus last year and I think they're awesome. Spent over 100 hours between Persona 4 and SMT IV within a couple of months time. Now I have a huge backlog of Atlus games I want to play. Maybe Atlus just hates EU?

Oh, I guess that'd mean a digital only release.

Edit: I guess the good part about that would be, that its release wouldn't have to be as far off.

The only thing they would confirm outright is that the pub is Atlus.
They did say that if the game had been cancelled it would have been announced, and Atlus is potentially looking into a physical release too (but cant say that for sure will happen)

Peff

Atlus themselves makes zero sense, the game would have to have come out by now. There is no way they'd pony up the cash for a full FIGS translation, which would be the only thing holding up the surely digital-only release.

Top Bottom