• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
y2MxXFH.jpg

Good trades today guys. Glad y’all making money, I sold 90% of my holdings in GEVO. Very good return. Trading at premium to my valuation. DCF has it at $6.00 as well.

Company will perform with the market now until next earnings report.
Hey,

You're still big on Chinese EV? My KNDI is flatlining around $8 (maybe due to lingering effects of Hindenberg), but LI bounced back to $35 again after tanking from around $45 to $28.

Holy shit GEVO today. Nice one.

Got to say this is a great thread and enjoy seeing people making money and seeing stocks other people mention which would never hit my radar. Or just hearing about them for sake of interest as a company I've never heard of before.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Hey,

You're still big on Chinese EV? My KNDI is flatlining around $8 (maybe due to lingering effects of Hindenberg), but LI bounced back to $35 again after tanking from around $45 to $28.

Holy shit GEVO today. Nice one.

Got to say this is a great thread and enjoy seeing people making money and seeing stocks other people mention which would never hit my radar. Or just hearing about them for sake of interest as a company I've never heard of before.

Im long on XPENG

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not a stock, but the portion of my retirement fund that is mixed investments gained over $1,000 in value today yesterday out of the blue. Largest single-day bump I've seen in a while. Things are looking up.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lucky ass. Got into Blackberry yesterday and Im already up 18%. Portfolio is going to close at an all time high.

Talk about one part downer, one part luck, one part hot picks. And for all of us in the stock market, it was about 11 months ago today (end of Feb 2020) where covid news started pouring out and markets tanked about 30% (March 2020). Depending on what you had (some sectors fared better than others), you would be down anywhere from 10-60% depending how your portfolio was spread. Mine peak bottomed around 40% on March 18 (that was the ultimate bottom day I think). My best stock probably dropped 10-15%, my worst was down 75%.

Then it was a steady rebound, some hot lucky picks and boom all time high. Although I still got a few stocks still down. One is still down 25%. It's rebound is as slow as molasses.

BlackBerry Limited (BB.TO)​

Toronto - Toronto Real Time Price. Currency in CAD

15.64+2.44 (+18.48%)
As of 3:58PM EST. Market open.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
So really good day my top performing stocks were

GEVO - 71.0%, ETSY - 8.5%, XPENG 12.59%, LI AUTO, 8.59% TSM - 4.89% (everything else was 3.0% or less).

my largest decliners were

SIG - (5.76%), DKNG - (4.66%)

I sold HOFV for a nice $60 profit. My goal this year is to double my account from $5000 to $10000. If I make only $100 dollars a week I can get there. In 3 days I already surpassed this week's goal. It won't be easy but hopefully I can get there. I'm still in TSCRF $27.05 in profit.

Buggy Loop

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GME's all time high is roughly $60 or so in 2007. It's now at $35 despite tanking like crazy since.

Something doesn't look right. But that's the stock market for ya. It's like 10% fundamentals and 90% momentum.

ManofOne

Plus Member
GME's all time high is roughly $60 or so in 2007. It's now at $35 despite tanking like crazy since.

Something doesn't look right. But that's the stock market for ya. It's like 10% fundamentals and 90% momentum.

GME pre 2020 balance sheet was good. The problem was earnings and overheads which they culled drastically. The company was valued around $18 at that time IMO.

I never looked at it b/c it never came up in my market fundamentals screener but after I looked at it its a good company but it business model is not sustainable.

No clue how the new executives gonna change it. It's not worth $40 but around $35 dollars seem to be good based on market valuations. DCF places it at $14 .

edbrat

What u guys think about buying gm

General Motors? Prob good for a long term buy and hold.

But you prob meant GME aka tendie gang darling Gamestop, no idea if it's good at $35 and noone else does either, so whether you should or not should be dictated by your personal appetite for risk. If you can't afford to lose your initial investment I would be very wary about meme stocks.

Rickyiez

I'm only there in WSB for the memes , freaking golden . The Mcmahon x Elon deepfake was incredible

That said I've gotten some GEVO after the split today , hope it's going to do well at this price .

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
General Motors? Prob good for a long term buy and hold.

But you prob meant GME aka tendie gang darling Gamestop, no idea if it's good at $35 and noone else does either, so whether you should or not should be dictated by your personal appetite for risk. If you can't afford to lose your initial investment I would be very wary about meme stocks.
gen motors

Buggy Loop

Wow, what an anti-climatic end. They forgot there was an inauguration today, because we all know that these drop at the last minute.

How can anyone trust this research firm if they can’t plan a stream 24h in advance? Although, many are just speculating that there was never a stream to begin with, they’re just fucking with the market openly on Twitter in front of the SEC..

Meanwhile, this guy has balls of steel?

He poured ~50M$ in GME

john cena mind blown GIF

Last edited:

shoegaze

Got into crypto a month back and made +85% just holding Ethereum, then squandered it all by trading and ended up with -2% overall. I wouldn't say it was enjoyable even when I was getting all these gains doing nothing but following the price hikes. When number goes up - I'm flat, when it goes down - I'm uneasy. Even when I started trading there was no feeling of control and everything felt like a speculation (funny, I know). Made 10% on TSLA in traditional markets, also felt like a speculation.

Overall I'm out green, but the lack of control was really worrying. It's either inexperience or just the name of the game. Thinking that building a business would have a potential of giving the control I want and ultimately be more profitable.

Couple of takeaways (could be specifically for crypto trading as I've only held in traditional market):
1. When price dumped, I always thought it'd keep dumping. Wrong.
2. When price pumped, I'd never sell thinking it'll pump more. Wrong.
3. Decide if you want to trade or hold and stick to it.
4. Have a strategy when trading and strictly follow your own TA disregarding any instincts.
5. Don't place a stop loss if you're holding long term, with big volatility comes big swings and you can be taken out of position overnight.

ManofOne

Plus Member
It look like mega caps are running the market now seeing how their earnings are next week. Now is a good time to buy options in mega cap and large caps. Not expiring on Friday lol.

I bought some. Don’t be fool by the indexes going up, megacaps carry larger weights so if they go up. The index goes up.

Barrage

What's everyone's thoughts on the future of pharmaceutical stocks? I'm a rookie to investing overall, got in at a nice time on one pharmaceutical and am up 70% from when I bought in the spring (wish I would have put more in, but what can ya do). My general rule is to only hold stocks I believe will be bigger in 3 years then they are now. I know you can't time the market, but at what point do you leave the table on something that's so tied to the current COVID situation?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
netflix up 17% wtf.

also these reddit embeds autoplaying is fucking stupid.

Netflix Tops 200 Million Subscribers for the First Time​

Streaming giant said it added a record 37 million subscribers in 2020​

Netflix’s continued subscriber growth comes amid heightened competition from new streaming services including Walt Disney Co. ’s Disney+, Apple Inc.’s Apple TV+, AT&T Inc.’s HBO Max and Comcast Corp.’s Peacock, all of which weren’t around a little over a year ago.

The company got a boost from the coronavirus pandemic, which forced consumers to cut back on a host of leisure activities—from dining out and vacations to visiting theaters and concert venues—as economies locked down. With many people spending more time at home, streaming demand jumped.

While the majority of television networks continue to be without most of their original content because of production shutdowns due to Covid-19, Netflix’s well-stocked content arsenal lifted it to new heights. Netflix signed up what it said was a record 37 million subscribers in 2020 and had a total of 203.7 million users when the year ended—more than twice as many as it had a mere three years earlier.

And while Covid-19 continues to wreak havoc on movie and television productions, Netflix currently has more than 500 titles in post production or ready to launch on the platform, the company said. Last week, it unveiled a movie slate that will see a new release on the platform every week of 2021.

Netflix creates its content much further in advance than broadcast and cable channels, which allowed the company to be better prepared to offer fresh content when the pandemic struck—something other streaming services that were still in their infancy weren’t in a position to do.

Among the strong performers for Netflix was the racy historical drama “Bridgerton,” the miniseries “The Queen’s Gambit,” a new season of “The Crown” and the George Clooney movie “Midnight Sky.”

The company already has new successes in season three of “Cobra Kai,” a show it rescued from YouTube, and the French crime drama “Lupin,” which has quickly become one the most popular programs on the platform.

The company currently anticipates 2021 cash flow at break-even, an upgrade from its earlier projection, which was minus $1 billion to break-even. Netflix said it is considering returning some cash to shareholders through stock buybacks.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company said it generated $6.64 billion in fourth-quarter revenue, up from $5.45 billion for the year earlier and thus exceeding forecasts from analysts. But profit decreased to $542 million, or $1.19 a share, from $587 million, or $1.30 a share, the year earlier. Analysts predicted $1.36 a share for the latest period, according to FactSet.

For the quarter ended Dec. 31, Netflix added more than 8.5 million subscribers on a net basis, a gain that surpassed its forecast for the period.
The bulk of the company’s growth in 2020 occurred in the first two quarters, as Covid-19 and efforts to stop its spread transformed daily life in countries around the world. Subscriber gains fell, meanwhile, year over year in the latest period, a decline the company had said it expected.

Netflix sent employees a bottle of champagne and confetti to celebrate surpassing the 200 million subscriber mark, according to a person familiar with the matter.

In October, Netflix raised the monthly price of its most popular subscription plan, bumping up the cost of its standard streaming service, its most popular option, by $1 to $13.99. It still has a less-expensive basic offering, as well as a premium one now priced at $17.99 a month.

Netflix isn’t the only streaming service benefiting from the pandemic. Disney+ is already near 90 million subscribers since its launch in November 2019. The company recently projected reaching 260 million subscribers world-wide by 2024.

Like Netflix, Disney+ also raised its monthly fee by $1 to $7.99 effective March 2021.

WarnerMedia’s new HBO Max streaming platform, which launched last May, hasn’t grown as fast as its rivals. However, the company recently unveiled plans to release the entire slate of Warner Bros. theatrical movies on HBO Max simultaneously in the hopes of boosting subscribers. WarnerMedia is a unit of AT&T.

Comcast’s streaming platform Peacock, which offers a variety of price plans including a free option, has 26 million sign-ups.

The newest entries to the streaming wars include Discovery+ from Discovery Communications Inc., which launched earlier this month, and Paramount+ fromViacomCBS Inc., which is scheduled to debut in March in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.

Competition is in part “why we have been moving so quickly to grow and further strengthen our original content library across a range of genres and nations,” Netflix said in its letter to shareholders.

“Our strategy is simple: if we can continue to improve Netflix every day to better delight our members, we can be their first choice for streaming entertainment.”

Netflix reported stronger subscriber growth in international markets in the fourth quarter than domestically, continuing a trend it has seen frequently of late. It added 860,000 subscriptions in the U.S. and Canada in the period, but gained two million subscribers in Asia, more than 1.2 million in Latin America and 4.5 million in the region covering Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

The company has been pushing to tap new markets abroad, including in sub-Saharan Africa, where some industry forecasters have projected content streaming to expand at a rapid clip in the coming years.

Netflix also said Tuesday it expects to add another six million users in the current quarter, less than half of what it added for the same period a year ago, which saw a huge rise due to the pandemic lockdowns.

Top Bottom