• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

dem

OIL is the wind beneath my wings

CVE in particular. Nice run this last little bit.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My position in GME is now at higher return % YTD than any of my other positions.

For those in the loop, what is a good price to sell at?

GHG

Gold Member
My position in GME is now at higher return % YTD than any of my other positions.

For those in the loop, what is a good price to sell at?

You'll never time the top perfectly, just get out at a price that makes sense to you but while trying to remove greed from the equation as much as possible.

----

Looks like a few REITs might be next on the short squeeze agenda. IVR making moves after hours so could be one to watch tomorrow dependent on how pre market goes. As will all of these, do not get in now in the after hours, assess the situation tomorrow at market open and day trade with caution.

Inflation data coming tomorrow as well so keep that in mind in general.

godhandiscen

I see. I think I will set my sale order at ~$400. It was a dumb bet that was rewarded too much.

Last edited:
Man this AMC story does not make any sense. Apparently there are more shares owned that what is publicly stated as available. I think there is a massive economic recession on the horizon.

This was the narrative all along. The numbers havent added up for months.

Their short position is only 3.6bn$, yet they have spent over 20Bn$ since this whole thing started.

With the new info we have from yesterday, theres at least 174% being traded, I believe there is over 3B synthetic shares, and we own most of theses 3B shares.

And this is only counting US/CA, Im in Europe and am not allowed to vote, so my shares arent being accounted for.

There is a massive recession coming and part of it will be due to the GME/AMC saga.

196879391_10209635754288829_1778483094198518487_n.jpg

Last edited:
This was the narrative all along. The numbers havent added up for months.

Their short position is only 3.6bn$, yet they have spent over 20Bn$ since this whole thing started.

With the new info we have from yesterday, theres at least 174% being traded, I believe there is over 3B synthetic shares, and we own most of theses 3B shares.

And this is only counting US/CA, Im in Europe and am not allowed to vote, so my shares arent being accounted for.

There is a massive recession coming and part of it will be due to the GME/AMC saga.

196879391_10209635754288829_1778483094198518487_n.jpg

I think Adam Aron mentioned on a stream with Trey that the share count includes all the worldwide shareholders, including Europe but the majority of votes shareholders come from USA/Canada.
I think what was interesting was this tweet from Adam.

Some got in a $5-10. 120 shares is chump change. I think those just looking at fundamentals are underestimating how much those early holders are willing to sweat out the short sellers.

Last edited:
I think Adam Aron mentioned on a stream with Trey that the share count includes all the worldwide shareholders, including Europe but the majority of votes came from USA/Canada.
I think what was interesting was this tweet from Adam.

Some got in a $5-10. 120 shares is chump change. I think those just looking at fundamentals are underestimating how much those early holders are willing to sweat out the short sellers.

Did you (or anyonw with amc) get to vote already? Because i didnt get the proxy to vote at all yet.

I use Revolut and Trading212 and they do allow proxy voting (i voted on gme), but didn’t get anything for amc.

My first AMC purchase was around 3$, but the majority of my position was bought at 8$, and even the first vote, i didnt get the proxy, nor any of my friends.

Last edited:
Did you (or anyonw with amc) get to vote already? Because i didnt get the proxy to vote at all yet.

I use Revolut and Trading212 and they do allow proxy voting (i voted on gme), but didn’t get anything for amc.

My first AMC purchase was around 3$, but the majority of my position was bought at 8$, and even the first vote, i didnt get the proxy, nor any of my friends.
I think I misspoke, it's not the vote count but the majority of the shareholders are from US/Canada. 27million shares are outside of US/Canada, the 501 million share count is international numbers.
Timestamped.

It seem most share holders will be eligible to vote by July 28.

Last edited:
In a discord group I follow, some are holding out for $100/200 for AMC per share. Quite crazy really!

Some got lucky with Ocugen though.

As ricardo_sousa11 ricardo_sousa11 says, they are also on Trading 212 (as am I). I hope that voting can be done for UK Citizens for UK stocks as well as access to other Markets.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

3dCzlZM.png

i've been thinking about doordash since IPO but today it had a pretty nice gain so it came to mind. It's really a terrible business ran extremely well.

great site and user experience, excellent branding, sector dominating marketshare.

but food delivery makes no sense in the U.S. things are so spread out and paying delivery drivers is costly and slow. margins are already terrible for fast food and now stacking another terrible margin business on top.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

i've been thinking about doordash since IPO but today it had a pretty nice gain so it came to mind. It's really a terrible business ran extremely well.

great site and user experience, excellent branding, sector dominating marketshare.

but food delivery makes no sense in the U.S. things are so spread out and paying delivery drivers is costly and slow. margins are already terrible for fast food and now stacking another terrible margin business on top.
I hate Doordash. Paying 1/3 of your food cost in fees is very stupid. The only reason they do well is cause the lockdowns. Once people get over it, they're going to drop like a rock unless they lobby for more lockdowns.

GHG

Gold Member
Ended the week with a complete failure of an options trade, ended up taking a loss of $1500 (Intel).

No harm done to the overall portfolio but a harsh lesson on options theta. Should have got out of it much earlier when I saw it wasn't going my way and I was left hoping for a miraculous turnaround on the final day.

Anyone trading options use this website to get a rough idea of how the option you are looking at will decay as you get closer to expiration:

To give people an idea I was looking at a $300 loss this time last week and it ended at roughly the same share price this week but with a $1500 loss. That final week decay is a bitch.

I usually stick to LEAPs but thought I'd have a play with a closer expiration date. High risk with potential high reward but I'm not doing that again in a hurry. Just lost a large portion of the money I made trading these meme/ short squeeze stocks in the last couple of weeks.

Overall portfolio is looking good though, on to next week.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Looks like WSB is pumping Corsair, good for me cause I've been holding that for months but I think I'll get some more while it's still relatively early in the pump, win or loose on the pump, it's a good company with a solid foundation.

godhandiscen

tenor.gif

My portfolio today. Still not at ATH but getting there and this time not on the back of an overvalued Tesla.

zeorhymer

It's annoying as hell to see every time my 401k contribution occurs it always happens on Fridays that are positive ensuring I keep buying the top.
That sucks. Is there no way to change the contributions so that it's on Mondays? Personally, I start the lump transfer on Thursday and by Mon/Tue rolls around it'll be deposited.

godhandiscen

Frustrated World Cup GIF

That inflation. I might need to diversify into some commodities. Luckily I own some real estate to pad the portfolio.
Yep. I have an appetite for land, but I don’t understand the market really well. I have been learning a bit in the past year though.

I have a house and the principal i have paid for it is almost a third of my net worth, so I shouldn’t buy more land yet, but I definitely plan to do it soon to keep that 1/3 in commodities ratio.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep. I have an appetite for land, but I don’t understand the market really well. I have been learning a bit in the past year though.

I have a house and the principal i have paid for it is almost a third of my net worth, so I shouldn’t buy more land yet, but I definitely plan to do it soon to keep that 1/3 in commodities ratio.
I do both real estate investments and stocks.

Real estate is always safer. But takes 10x more responsibilities and time and money up front.

A key thing too is whether the area you buy a property is worth it or not. You want a place where there's demand and more people coming into the area than places being built. Or a place to rent out for years which is a heavy college student population where you know will always have kids needing a rental place.

If an area you are scoping out seems dead, stagnant population (or worse it's declining), or needs lots of work, avoid it. Even if you are willing to pay for cosmetic improvements and renovations, watch out for foundation issues.

If you see any property that has issues like mold, water stains from leaky roofs, archaic electrical wiring from 80 years ago, you take a look at pipes you can see and it looks like they are from 1970, the furnace is from 25 years ago, you look at the shingles from the bedroom windows and they are old and ratty etc..... Avoid it. When it comes to properties you want good value, good condition, good prospects and limit as much risks and hassles as possible.

Some people out there love "a handyman's dream". I dont. It can work if you buy for cheap, put money into it and flip (many friends I know do that as they are good with tools). But for me, I don't want that time and hassle. I'm no fixer upper guy.

A bad stock you can dump in 5 seconds. A bad property and you're hooped.

If you go the fixer upper route, take the estimated costs and add 50% to it as buffer. It will always be more than you think. Myself included, I have never met someone doing mass overhauls to a property and they cam below budget. Contractors will ballpark a low ball price to get you to agree to the deal. But as the work progresses, magically the costs keep going up and up beyond scope.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

I do both real estate investments and stocks.

Real estate is always safer. But takes 10x more responsibilities and time and money up front.

A key thing too is whether the area you buy a property is worth it or not. You want a place where there's demand and more people coming into the area than places being built. Or a place to rent out for years which is a heavy college student population where you know will always have kids needing a rental place.

If an area you are scoping out seems dead, stagnant population (or worse it's declining), or needs lots of work, avoid it. Even if you are willing to pay for cosmetic improvements and renovations, watch out for foundation issues.

If you see any property that has issues like mold, water stains from leaky roofs, archaic electrical wiring from 80 years ago, you take a look at pipes you can see and it looks like they are from 1970, the furnace is from 25 years ago, you look at the shingles from the bedroom windows and they are old and ratty etc..... Avoid it. When it comes to properties you want good value, good condition, good prospects and limit as much risks and hassles as possible.

Some people out there love "a handyman's dream". I dont. It can work if you buy for cheap, put money into it and flip (many friends I know do that as they are good with tools). But for me, I don't want that time and hassle. I'm no fixer upper guy.

A bad stock you can dump in 5 seconds. A bad property and you're hooped.

If you go the fixer upper route, take the estimated costs and add 50% to it as buffer. It will always be more than you think. Myself included, I have never met someone doing mass overhauls to a property and they cam below budget. Contractors will ballpark a low ball price to get you to agree to the deal. But as the work progresses, magically the costs keep going up and up beyond scope.

Excellent post. The only market I know really well is San Francisco, I lived there for years, and after the crash, I was thinking of buying a duplex there since I am confident the city will rebound. However, as i did more research, I felt disgusted with how biased the laws were against landlords, and I gave up. I still have some cool filters on Zillow to spot new duplex buildings on sale, and while the prices keep going down, I feel tempted, but don’t know if I have the stomach to become a landlord and harass tenants that will see me as the devil. Instead, I have opted to learn more about finance and doing proper risk assessments on my stock investments.

My current plan with land is to buy something somewhere south of San Jose or north of San Francisco, and build a new house there (I work 100% remote), then rent my current house which is about 30 miles from SF. My current house is on a 2% mortgage loan (I timed the refinance perfectly), so even a asking for rent below the market rate would cover the monthly payments.

Also, while trying to learn about becoming a landlord I found this YouTube personality whom I find hilarious.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Excellent post. The only market I know really well is San Francisco, I lived there for years, and after the crash, I was thinking of buying a duplex there since I am confident the city will rebound. However, as i did more research, I felt disgusted with how biased the laws were against landlords, and I gave up. I still have some cool filters on Zillow to spot new duplex buildings on sale, and while the prices keep going down, I feel tempted, but don’t know if I have the stomach to become a landlord and harass tenants that will see me as the devil. Instead, I have opted to learn more about finance and doing proper risk assessments on my stock investments.

My current plan with land is to buy something somewhere south of San Jose or north of San Francisco, and build a new house there (I work 100% remote), then rent my current house which is about 30 miles from SF. My current house is on a 2% mortgage loan (I timed the refinance perfectly), so even a asking for rent below the market rate would cover the monthly payments.

Also, while trying to learn about becoming a landlord I found this YouTube personality whom I find hilarious.

Regarding landlording, you can always hire management companies to handle everything. They'll take about 10% of the monthly rent, but the tenant wont even know who you are or see your face.

When my property goes up next year I'm doing that. I had a deadbeat tenant years ago and the hassles were a pain. I lost out on some rent as they asshole bolted, but the jokes on her. I made six digits profit on it anyway, so fuck her.

She was one of those asses who bolted middle of the night. Couldnt get hold of her after and decided after speaking with a lawyer about deadbeat tenancy, the recommended letting it go and move on. Not worth the hassle because theres no proof she can even pay when sued in court.

After that happened, my friend who gave me landlording advice years before was spot on. He said when you're a landlord, just keep in mind you might get only 90% of rent as there's chance you'll get deadbeated at some point.

Also, try to get the monthly rent you charge to cover as much mortgage, taxes and all costs as possible. Try not to go into the whole as a cash flow crunch. I was in the hole maybe $100-200/mth so not s big deal, but I wouldnt' want to be $500/mth out of pocket every month.

If youre property costs ans cash flow rental income is a net positive, even better!

Make sure to buffer in cost of property tax as a monthly consideration cost since prop taxes paid are done in batches and not correlating with monthly rent. Not sure what SF is like but here where I live property taxes are spread out as 6 monthly payments.

Make sure your rental property has sufficient insurance plan, and ensure the tenant has their own insurance plan with proof. That should be part of the contract.

One thing is up to you is utilities. Cable and phone should be in their name. For stuff like water, heat, electricity, you can either make them do it, or you pay for it and jack up the rent. I decided to pay for water, heat and electricity as ultimately as landlord you'll have responsibility anyway if they bolt. There's chance they waste tons of utilities, but unlikely to move the needle so I'd take control of those.

But cable, internet and phone, thats on them 100%.

Make sure to keep all receipts for expenses. I've been audited before. No biggie. Just send them all proof of bills. Even small shit like buying cleaning supplies for $20 is deductible. Track them all and claim them all. And read up on US real estate law for claiming big stuff like property taxes, mortgage interest, lawyer fees etc..... what you can claim and cant.

It doesn't sound like you're a broke guy, so this probably wont make a difference but getting a tenant to start, and then in between tenants takes time. It might take month or more. Which means no rental income, but at that time you got two mortgages to pay off (assuming the investment property and home you live in arent 100% paid off). So during those down times, make sure to have money in the bank if money is tight and really depends on having a tenant there.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thank you for the advice StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige
No worries. I've been adding to it as I think of more stuff.

Good luck.

Real estate landlording can be a pain and slow, but the profits can be giant if you get the right property at the right price and location.

I'm in the Toronto area, and it's been a goldmine the past 15 years. It's impossible to lose buying or investing in this market for decades.

Go_Ly_Dow

TERN Capital (TERN) is one to watch. They're listed in the London market and have just filed to shortly list in the US on QTCQB. Reason they're one to watch is because they have large stakes in several upcoming IoT security companies. One of these companies is Device Authority, which power the security for Microsoft Azure and is considered to be the best in class by many. Many of these IoT security companies are valued at hundreds of millions or billions. TERN is giving signals that they're ready to cash in on them. Biden signed an EO about IoT in early May too, so the sector is hot.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

I want to buy more tech stocks, but I know the excitement will end soon, so I am just holding my positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I want to buy more tech stocks, but I know the excitement will end soon, so I am just holding my positions.

Yep a lot of things at all time highs at the moment. I finally managed to sell AMD for a profit today, it's only been 5 months. What a roller-coaster that has been.

Picked up some OKE today on the dip. Gold and Silver also got absolutely pummelled so picked up more of both of those. I'm still very much keeping my portfolio in "inflation preparation" mode.

If nothing else we are due a significant dip soon anyway.

Top Bottom