• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

BigBooper

I shifted more of my portoflio away from tech towards value.

and slowly shifting back into tech. Right now it mostly real estate, restaurants and retail in my high vol portfolio.
Apple is the only tech I own now. The predictions of a market correction and the election are scaring me too much to get into others, but Apple will certainly weather anything like that.

HoodWinked

i was thinking about parking some money in visa or mastercard. they went up a couple points because of the possibility of stimulus checks that should boost consumer spending.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i was thinking about parking some money in visa or mastercard. they went up a couple points because of the possibility of stimulus checks that should boost consumer spending.
Don't remind me!

I bought VISA IPO in 2008 at $60. Which I think is $20 split adjusted now 3-1. Global crisis happened and I think I ended up selling it for $50 at the end of the year, so I lost about 16%. Looking at the charts, the stock did nothing for 3 years. But in 2012 it started to shoot up.

It's now $200.

Damn!

ManofOne

Plus Member
ODCVUcn.jpg

So I think that looking at the electric car market a few companies looking good to make some good gains.

shoegaze

Done a little bit of reading and.. does anyone except select few fund managers beat the s&p500, which, on average, does 13.6% yearly in the last decade? A lot of articles I've read seem to be underlying the point that an absolute majority of investors just need to choose a couple of good performing indexes and dollar cost average without trying to time the market.

Even Berkshire Hathaway in the last decade has underperformed compared to s&p500. And funds like these have huge leverage in terms of experience, inside information, manpower, time, everything imaginable against a private investor.

Is choosing your own stocks more of a hobby and a gamble than anything else? Yes you could've made a 100% from buying into TSLA at the right time, but after you closed your position you can bleed for years to come. It doesn't seem reasonable to believe you're going to beat the market year after year.

Last edited:

mango drank

Done a little bit of reading and.. does anyone except select few fund managers beat the s&p500, which, on average, does 13.6% yearly in the last decade? A lot of articles I've read seem to be underlying the point that an absolute majority of investors just need to choose a couple of good performing indexes and dollar cost average without trying to time the market.
This is eerie. I was literally just about to ask the active investors on here what their active investing returns have been overall, outside of index funds, and whether they've beaten the market over the last few years. Not just whether they've picked a few strong winners here and there, but whether they've beaten the market overall given all their stock wins and losses taken together. Interested in seeing the responses.

ManofOne

Plus Member
This is eerie. I was literally just about to ask the active investors on here what their active investing returns have been overall, outside of index funds, and whether they've beaten the market over the last few years. Not just whether they've picked a few strong winners here and there, but whether they've beaten the market overall given all their stock wins and losses taken together. Interested in seeing the responses.

Been investing for the last 7 years. My initial return in the first 1 and half was -12.4%. Afterwards, my average return after that, was around 43.0% per year pre-2020. This year was extraordinary with around a 148% return.

On a side note, I will be watching these stocks alongside the usual stocks like NVDA, SHOP etc..........

I think these stocks will do good within the first 6 months of 2021, check them out and let me know

MSFT, APPL, LI AUTO, XPENG, 8X8, NCLH, ZEN, TWLO, PAYPAL, SQ, FSLY, RNG, SNOW, TSM, NET, FSLR, DOCU, MGI, ETSY, DKNG, MGM, BABA, ATVI, SNE (plus a few more)

Laggards like resturant stocks are looking to gain further momentum early on in the year so DAR, YUM etc.

Usual ETF winners I'm looking at are ARKF, VGT etc.

BigBooper

I'm not a huge investor, but am pretty active. My return this year has been 28%. I think I will be switching to funds more in the future, but this year was special.

ManofOne

Plus Member
6qP70FQ.jpg

It seems selling off Resturant stocks before the Georgia Runoff was a good call. Higher taxes would hurt their P/E by 20%.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Good start to the new year on three of my calls.
The rest are red.

XPENG and LI Auto will continue to beat earnings alongside other Chinese e car makers

TSM is up 4.0%

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Cannabis and Green Stocks going through the roof today. E Car stocks are up.

Up 25% on those stocks within the last week.

Hope y'all bought.

Edit - DKNG also up 8.0%

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Asshole GAN.

Sold it a week or two ago squeaking out a worthless 5% profit I think over half a year. This week, it's shot up 15% alone.

Might get back into Lightspeed. Dropping a lot lately. From $90 cdn all time high to $78.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Asshole GAN.

Sold it a week or two ago squeaking out a worthless 5% profit I think over half a year. This week, it's shot up 15% alone.

Sold off most of my portoflio at the end of the year. Whole new portfolio designed for a democrat senate. However, I finally enter 10 year treasuries into my portoflio mix.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
CGC up nearly 30% for me since I bought it 2 weeks ago. I cashed out.

Holding on to my clean energy etfs and electric car etfs........sold my Aurora and CGC stocks. I'm happy with the returns

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Sold off post of my portoflio at the end of the year. Whole new portfolio designed for a democrat senate. However, I finally enter 10 year treasuries into my portoflio mix.

That's the thing I fail at. I tend to go really long term and rarely sell. Selling in the past screwed me bad because when I really started investing I was heavy in Tesla, Roku, Nvidia. Got spooked because I was a noob and sold. Could have had thousands more dollars now.

Dumbest thing I've done so far is held on to Mcdonald's. It's the only investment I've lost money on so far.

ManofOne

Plus Member
That's the thing I fail at. I tend to go really long term and rarely sell. Selling in the past screwed me bad because when I really started investing I was heavy in Tesla, Roku, Nvidia. Got spooked because I was a noob and sold. Could have had thousands more dollars now.

Dumbest thing I've done so far is held on to Mcdonald's. It's the only investment I've lost money on so far.

Nah you should sell. Long term is a fools game these days unless you're looking at a Acquisition to improve that P/E which is what Mega Caps mostly do.

Just set some rules for youself. For example I made $60,000 today on $200,000 investments just on the political optics alone.

Stocks are far more reactive to event risks that ever before. So this is something you should look at.

DarkestHour

Banned
Nah you should sell. Long term is a fools game these days unless you're looking at a Acquisition to improve that P/E which is what Mega Caps mostly do.

Just set some rules for youself. For example I made $60,000 today on $200,000 investments just on the political optics alone.

Stocks are far more reactive to event risks that ever before. So this is something you should look at.

Good advice and thank you. I'm certainly leaving a lot of money on the table by playing the long game and not paying attention to events.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree with ManofOne.

I think long term holds have been a dead issue for 20 years since everyone started online trading and volatile tech stocks. Be nimble.

Of course if someone bought Amazon as a 20 year holding (you could have got Amazon for $10 in 2002) then ya, a long term hold made you a millionaire. But the Warren Buffet buy and hold old creaky companies died long time ago.

Even he has bailed from it. Buffet has been big into Apple the past 3 years (even though he's always claimed tech stocks are bad) and he's got rid of legacy stodgy companies like Kraft, Wells Fargo, oil companies and stuf that doesn't move.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
what is the consideration for longterm/shortterm capital gains tax? if you're buying and selling at a high amount doesnt this also mean more taxes on those gains?

Not if you’re living outside the US like I am. They however instituted FACTA here so you can’t escape the IRS

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
what is the consideration for longterm/shortterm capital gains tax? if you're buying and selling and being nimble doesnt this also mean more taxes on those gains?
Depends on where you're trading.

Right now, all my trades are in my Canadian RRSP and TFSA accounts (RRSP is I think like a US Roth IRA, and TFSA is a tax free). I got rid of my normal trading account years ago, since I decided to sink a bunch of money towards properties that need six digit cash. When you buy brand new investment properties literally built from scratch, you got to have a couple hundred grand in cash for down payments and closing costs. No mortgage applies yet, so you need raw cash. Totally different if you buy an existing home off someone as you can probably get by with 10% down and right away float a mortgage for the balance.

But any trades you do that is normally taxable, you can buy and sell stuff when you think it's the right time and pay taxes as per income tax rules. Or you can time it like many do so that you sell your losers end of year (so you can claim it as an investment loss when you do income taxes in March), or sell the winners in January so you don't have to claim taxes until next year.

The same strategy can be done when buying. Look into buying beaten down stocks in the new year as people are dumped them.

Of course this is all in theory.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Depends on where you're trading.

Right now, all my trades are in my Canadian RRSP and TFSA accounts (RRSP is I think like a US Roth IRA, and TFSA is a tax free). I got rid of my normal trading account years ago, since I decided to sink a bunch of money towards properties that need six digit cash.

But any trades you do that is normally taxable, you can buy and sell stuff when you think it's the right time and pay taxes as per income tax rules. Or you can time it like many do so that you sell your losers end of year (so you can claim it as an investment loss when you do income taxes in March), or sell the winners in January so you don't have to claim taxes until next year.

The same strategy can be done when buying. Look into buying beaten down stocks in the new year as people are dumped them.

Of course this is all in theory.

Did they raise the TFSA from $5000? Or is it $5000 for a certain period.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did they raise the TFSA from $5000? Or is it $5000 for a certain period.
$6000 for 2021.

It fluctuates every year, since it came into effect probably 12 years ago(?). The minimum has always been $5,000. Usually in the $5-6k range. One year it was $10k and then Trudeau got into power and kacked it back to $5,500 right away without telling anyone.

tfsa-contribution-limit.jpg

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
$6000 for 2021.

It fluctuates every year, since it came into effect probably 12 years ago(?). The minimum has always been $5,000. Usually in the $5-6k range. One year it was $10k and then Trudeau got into power and kacked it to $5,000 right away without telling anyone.

I heard about this. When I was living in Canada, my mom set up her TSFA at $5000. And then she was told it was around some other higher number could have been $10,000.

I thought they would have raised the base from $5000 by now

ManofOne

Plus Member
What another day of AMAZING gains. Up 12% already in my high vol portfolio and my low vol portfolio is up 4.0% YTD. That possible next round of stimulus looking good.

2Jct6mT.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I am massively up on everything except Alibaba, which is trending closer and closer to break-even. I'm really considering dropping them and never investing in Chinese stocks again.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I am massively up on everything except Alibaba, which is trending closer and closer to break-even. I'm really considering dropping them and never investing in Chinese stocks again.

I made the mistake of adding Alibaba to my portoflio but sold it on the news that Ma was missing. It's a private company but with CCP diluting shares, it ain't worth that price.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Had a nice day today. Portfolio +2%.

Good to see I dumped my RMG (now RMO) a eek or so back at $30-ish. I was a few days too late as it topped $38. It's now bumbling around $20.

I still think SPACs are worth a gamble as there's lots still at $10-11. Just need a spark and they can hit $15. FIII holding fine.

I might get back in weed stocks. Maybe Aphria again. Made money on it two years ago.

Today I sold all my Ethereum and I'm putting all that money on ThinkorSwim. I did very well on the demo account so it's time to begin for real. I'm going to start with 5K, just buying and selling a few stocks here and there.

Have a small lot in ITRM at around .95 and it moved 20% yesterday and was up another 25% today, interesting. With such little downside for my overall portfolio I'm just going to hold on and see what happens.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Have a small lot in ITRM at around .95 and it moved 20% yesterday and was up another 25% today, interesting. With such little downside for my overall portfolio I'm just going to hold on and see what happens.

Whats the realtive volatility b/c something that moves 20% per day must have a signficanty high beta. No way I adding that to my portfolio.

Whats the realtive volatility b/c something that moves 20% per day must have a signficanty high beta. No way I adding that to my portfolio.

Welcome to the wonderful world of biotech stocks, lol. Pre-revenue, clinical stage are all speculative and risky as fuck.

Outlier

Well I'm officially profitable in all my stocks(TSLA,AMD,BTC and ETH), for around a week now and I have NO idea what to do, with what might happen this year...

I was planning to get out of Crypto once they hit a certain point, but now that they've sky rocketed... UGH!

OMFG!!!!! BTC over 40,000!!! :messenger_fire:

Last edited:
Top Bottom