• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
WOW

I just got my ass handed to me. The average estimate was 1 million jobs, mine was around 600,000. NOW WHERE EVEN CLOSE !!!! 6.1% unemployment

But I was am right about the difficulty in finding workers. LOOKS LIKE WAGE INFLATION BOYS!

U.S. job growth unexpectedly softened in April from the prior month, suggesting that difficulty attracting workers is slowing momentum in the labor market.

Payrolls rose 266,000 after a downwardly revised 770,000 March increase, according to a Labor Department report Friday that fell well short of projections. Economists in a Bloomberg survey projected a 1 million hiring surge in April. The unemployment rate edged up to 6.1%, though the labor-force participation rate also increased.

U.S. economy added only 266,000 jobs in April, well below forecast

Treasury yields plunged, while inflation expectations spiraled downward and the dollar turned sharply lower. U.S. stock futures maintained gains. The eurodollar market pushed back its pricing for a Federal Reserve rate increase to mid-2023.

Follow reaction in real-time here on Bloomberg’s TOPLive blog

The disappointing payrolls print leaves overall employment more than 8 million short of its pre-pandemic level and is consistent with recent comments from company officials highlighting challenges in filling open positions.

In an interview with Bloomberg Television, Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari said the data justified why the Fed is continuing to deliver stimulus. “Today’s jobs report is just an example of we have a long way to go and let’s not prematurely declare victory,” he said.

While job gains accelerated in leisure and hospitality, employment at temporary-help agencies and transportation and warehousing declined sharply.

Fed Chair Jerome Powell said last week the dichotomy likely reflects a combination of a skills gap, child care obligations and lingering virus fears.

Some firms indicate enhanced unemployment benefits and the latest round of pandemic-relief checks are discouraging a return to work even as job openings approach a record.

Read more: ‘Job Paradox’ Baffles Economists as U.S. Employers See Shortage

On an unadjusted basis, payrolls rose by more than 1 million last month. Seasonal adjustments usually call for a large hiring gain in April, which may in part explain why the headline number fell short of forecasts.

Average hourly earnings rose 0.7% in April from a month earlier, to $30.17. The wage data for April suggest that the rising demand for labor associated with the recovery from the pandemic may have put upward pressure on wages, the Labor Department said in a statement.

A separate measure of compensation that isn’t subjected to shifts in industry employment -- the employment cost index -- rose 0.9% in the first quarter. That was the largest quarterly gain since 2007, according to the Labor Department’s data last week.

Average weekly hours increased to match the highest in records dating back to 2006.

Labor force participation, a measure of the percentage of Americans either working or looking for work, rose to 61.7% in April from 61.5%, likely supported by increased vaccinations that helped fuel the reopenings of many retail establishments, restaurants and leisure-facing businesses.

Workforce participation for men age 25 to 54 increased last month, while edging lower for women.

Last edited:

BigBooper

NGA is playing mind games. Up 21.6% this morning? Wth? I guess it's the merger not calculating right.

My others are all green so far.

Last edited:

Nice to see this confirmed today:

Nasdaq Approves Bitfarms Application to List​

TORONTO, Ontario and BROSSARD, Québec , May 07, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bitfarms Ltd. (“Bitfarms”, or the “Company”) (TSXV:BITF // OTC:BFARF) today announces Bitfarms’ application to list its common stock on the Nasdaq Global Market® was approved by The Nasdaq Stock Market (“Nasdaq”) under the symbol “BITF”.

Bitfarms will also retain its listing on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol “BITF”. The ticker used for Bitfarms’ securities traded over-the-counter (OTC) under the current symbol “BFARF” will seamlessly transfer to the new ticker symbol “BITF” on the first day of trading on The Nasdaq Stock Market.

Furthermore, as of today, Bitfarms is the first publicly traded Bitcoin miner to announce it will be trading on The Nasdaq Global Market® tier. This tier is reserved for companies who fulfill financial liquidity and requirements above and beyond what it takes to list on The Nasdaq Capital Market®, the lower tier upon which other Bitcoin miners trade. This represents a powerful validation of our global focus that has been at the core of Bitfarms since its founding in 2017.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/nasdaq-approves-bitfarms-application-list-110000305.html

Last edited:

BigBooper

Nice to see this confirmed today:

Nasdaq Approves Bitfarms Application to List​

TORONTO, Ontario and BROSSARD, Québec , May 07, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bitfarms Ltd. (“Bitfarms”, or the “Company”) (TSXV:BITF // OTC:BFARF) today announces Bitfarms’ application to list its common stock on the Nasdaq Global Market® was approved by The Nasdaq Stock Market (“Nasdaq”) under the symbol “BITF”.

Bitfarms will also retain its listing on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol “BITF”. The ticker used for Bitfarms’ securities traded over-the-counter (OTC) under the current symbol “BFARF” will seamlessly transfer to the new ticker symbol “BITF” on the first day of trading on The Nasdaq Stock Market.

Furthermore, as of today, Bitfarms is the first publicly traded Bitcoin miner to announce it will be trading on The Nasdaq Global Market® tier. This tier is reserved for companies who fulfill financial liquidity and requirements above and beyond what it takes to list on The Nasdaq Capital Market®, the lower tier upon which other Bitcoin miners trade. This represents a powerful validation of our global focus that has been at the core of Bitfarms since its founding in 2017.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/nasdaq-approves-bitfarms-application-list-110000305.html
That's wild.

Nice little bump on MSFT today.

joe_zazen

Ok, back from covid. holy shit that was/is rough. still foggy, but no longer dying. :cool:

ABXX (microcap, fintech, pre-revenue company I have been following) has approx 10% more shares being created this week via bought deal (no lockup) and 1.4 million shorts (ceo.ca and otc.com). Also ~25% of shares will be unlocked in June.

they have a good story to sell (blockchain web 3.0 realtime SECURITIES trading tech + exchange, not just crypto speculation token trading, so NTFs but with actual equities, commodities, etc.), although they have been quite shit about doing that for the last few months. Part of the reason is the management has no desire to pump as they see this as a real business and not crypto-robinhood retail fleecing. Still, there is a good story there that could catch, and given the low volume of shares...yeah.

I bailed last week @$3.88-$390 because of Platts India's launch on May 07 of real time LNG derivatives and ewindow, which is a pretty direct move against ABXX (despite Twitter pumper claims to the contrary). ABXX is targeting Asian LNG for their first tokenized smart contract real time security in Singapore, they want the benchmark for LNG, Platts isn't tokenized or dist. ledger tech, but it might be 'good enough' to keep anyone from trying ABXX LNG market. Old addage is new tech has to be 10X better to get conservative finance guys to adopt.

Thing is, their web3.0 suite of tools will be going beta this month and the final approval from Singapore Monetary Authority for their exchange will be coming within 1-8 weeks. Both will be big bull signals and it is a low volume stock, so big movements could be had.

Right now this is a magic 8 ball stock as much will come down to the what the new shareholders do and whether the shorts are just hedges from the investment companies or indicative of some other factor I've missed or cannot know. Long term is also a big '?' from the more fundamental things like whether their tech works and whether any LNG players will come play. time is short though, as this thing will either be 50 cents or $12 in 2 months...probably watch the price this week and buy back in if we see dips under 3.80 or if I let myself FOMO.

Also, still waiting for $56 oil to buy back in to that market, lol.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Ok, back from covid. holy shit that was/is rough. still foggy, but no longer dying. :cool:

ABXX (microcap, fintech, pre-revenue company I have been following) has approx 10% more shares being created this week via bought deal (no lockup) and 1.4 million shorts (ceo.ca and otc.com). Also ~25% of shares will be unlocked in June.

they have a good story to sell (blockchain web 3.0 realtime SECURITIES trading tech + exchange, not just crypto speculation token trading, so NTFs but with actual equities, commodities, etc.), although they have been quite shit about doing that for the last few months. Part of the reason is the management has no desire to pump as they see this as a real business and not crypto-robinhood retail fleecing. Still, there is a good story there that could catch, and given the low volume of shares...yeah.

I bailed last week @$3.88-$390 because of Platts India's launch on May 07 of real time LNG derivatives and ewindow, which is a pretty direct move against ABXX (despite Twitter pumper claims to the contrary). ABXX is targeting Asian LNG for their first tokenized smart contract real time security in Singapore, they want the benchmark for LNG, Platts isn't tokenized or dist. ledger tech, but it might be 'good enough' to keep anyone from trying ABXX LNG market. Old addage is new tech has to be 10X better to get conservative finance guys to adopt.

Thing is, their web3.0 suite of tools will be going beta this month and the final approval from Singapore Monetary Authority for their exchange will be coming within 1-8 weeks. Both will be big bull signals and it is a low volume stock, so big movements could be had.

Right now this is a magic 8 ball stock as much will come down to the what the new shareholders do and whether the shorts are just hedges from the investment companies or indicative of some other factor I've missed or cannot know. Long term is also a big '?' from the more fundamental things like whether their tech works and whether any LNG players will come play. time is short though, as this thing will either be 50 cents or $12 in 2 months...probably watch the price this week and buy back in if we see dips under 3.80 or if I let myself FOMO.

Also, still waiting for $56 oil to buy back in to that market, lol.

good to hear you recovered man

hollams

Gold Member
I really should have gotten out of TSLA and PAYPAL last week. I was hoping to play the bounces, but as always picked the wrong starting point.

ManofOne

Plus Member
For those wondering. Inflation report is this week. It will most likely show an inflation beat. This will worry those about the FED tapering sooner than later.

GHG

Gold Member
I really should have gotten out of TSLA and PAYPAL last week. I was hoping to play the bounces, but as always picked the wrong starting point.

If I was in TSLA now I'd be getting out entirely.

Probably going to sell QQQM on the next bounce and wait it out before re-entering later in the year.

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, I have a strong feeling shit's about to go down:

A lot of the growth stocks are following the same pattern now, sell-offs followed by a rise, rinse repeat. But the key thing is that the highs of those rises are progressively getting lower and the interval between each sell off is getting shorter.

Time to treat anything "growth" with extreme care.

Another big warning sign is that companies like MARA, RIOT, MSTR , etc are no longer moving in line with the price of bitcoin, it's all random which signals they are still (even at these prices today) heavily overbought and there is not much confidence in them going forwards.

Anyone "dip buying" needs to be careful and consider what it is they are buying and whether the price really makes sense beyond some of the historical prices from earlier this year and Q4 last year. The harsh reality is that some of these companies might never reach those prices again.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If cash is trash… and tech is gonna take a beating… where should I be going?
Crypto?

Crypto is keeping my total net worth at an ATH, but this is all thanks to a trade I made back in 2017 after I went running super stoned. Essentially nothing I learned in the past 3 years investing has net me a profit this year, which has me a tad worried. What do I do once Crypto stops printing?

godhandiscen

I have a little play money in bitcoin...

I'm definitely not putting real money there
Yeah, my position on crypto was also play money until it suddenly became the third largest asset In my portfolio. I mean, I held it for a reason, but I was not expecting ETH to hit 4K this year, or at least this early.

I keep buying tech stocks, but I have stopped considering crypto play money.

GHG

Gold Member

There's no "sector" in particular that will be safe. Anything that could be deemed as overvalued in any way will be susceptible to sell-offs.

ManofOne

Plus Member
2020 easiest money ever. 2021 is just nuts.

Go more into the anti inflation trade. Trust me on this you will do well into the long run

ManofOne

Plus Member
The Dow pares its gain and the Nasdaq and S&P 500 both sink lower after a Federal Reserve official said it will take "month after month" of employment improvements before the central bank starts talking about tapering asset purchases.

I think you need to have gotten into dividend paying ETF's with at least a few percentage yield months ago. My SPHD is so high compared to when I bought it my nose starts bleeding when I look at my account. I don't know if I would buy it at this price. I'm in for the dividends, and they are good for what I paid for the stock, if the stock goes up much higher I don't think it would be worth it to buy for the dividend. I'm getting really limited on what I feel like I can buy because some of what I bought has gone so far up compared to the dividends.

I think there is going to be a run to anything that looks safe and is paying anything more than 2-3% in dividends till yield is less than inflation. If that is the case maybe AT&T will keep going up.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think you need to have gotten into dividend paying ETF's with at least a few percentage yield months ago. My SPHD is so high compared to when I bought it my nose starts bleeding when I look at my account. I don't know if I would buy it at this price. I'm in for the dividends, and they are good for what I paid for the stock, if the stock goes up much higher I don't think it would be worth it to buy for the dividend. I'm getting really limited on what I feel like I can buy because some of what I bought has gone so far up compared to the dividends.

I think there is going to be a run to anything that looks safe and is paying anything more than 2-3% in dividends till yield is less than inflation. If that is the case maybe AT&T will keep going up.

It's no coincidence that with the exception of PSFE the only things that are green in my portfolio today are things that pay fat dividends:

JEPI
MO
BTI
ABBV
OKE
ENB
T
IRM
SUN

But yeh, I'm not seeing many attractive buys at the moment. Instead of buying more new stuff most people will be better off gradually buying more of what they already own on the way down if you have the stomach for it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I got in Brk at such a good price during covid..
I don't wanna ruin my average.. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Then don't, leave it alone and focus on any positions that you might be down on. If you're not down on anything sit on your hands for a while, there will be more opportunities to buy at lower prices than the ones right now.

godhandiscen

I mean Palantir is a data collection company backed by George Soros. There is such a thing as karma.
I never understood the hype for Palantir. As a profesional with over a decade working in data-driven technologies in the Bay Area, I don’t see the value of Palantir products to organizations other than dinosaurs without the expertise to source and manage the data themselves. I’d say their value is in their government relationships, but technology wise, they aren’t doing anything remarkable. I wouldn’t call them a technology company since they aren’t building any new technology; data collection/management is about building technologies as much as plumbing is about making water.

This doesn’t mean I am bearish on the stock, I just reviewed their products long time ago and nothing was interesting to me.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I never understood the hype for Palantir. As a profesional with over a decade working in data-driven technologies in the Bay Area, I don’t see the value of Palantir products to organizations other than dinosaurs without the expertise to source and manage the data themselves. I’d say their value is in their government relationships, but technology wise, they aren’t doing anything remarkable. I wouldn’t call them a technology company since they aren’t building any new technology; data collection/management is about building technologies as much as plumbing is about making water.

This doesn’t mean I am bearish on the stock, I just reviewed their products long time ago and nothing was interesting to me.

Peter Thiel + Cathie Wood + Reddit + youtube hype

Don't see it myself either. I could be wrong but I see it going down to 15 at some point in the next few months and I do not see it becoming a trillion dollar company. That doesn't mean they won't go on to do reasonably well in the future though.

Just trimmed some of my blockchain related positions - too much needs to happen for them to bounce back (both a growth market recovery and a simultaneous rise in bitcoin - one without the other and it's a shitshow, especially if there is some sort of crypto crash before the High PE growth stocks have a chance to recover). If they go down more tomorrow then I'll just eat the loss, get out and move on. I'm not in that bad a position with them since I bought in during the last 2 weeks but 10% is bad enough and I don't want it to get much worse.

In other news I have friends with zero technical knowledge asking me about building crypto mining rigs. This is how I know we are fucked.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

there really isn't tho

There is, but not in the sense that some higher power is going to punish you because you wanted to get rich on the efforts of dystopian screwballs. The world works on principals. If you can make a contribution to humanity, you get rewarded. Sometimes you get rewarded when you don't really contribute to something meaningful, like systems that help governments spy on everyday people. But these systems are still vulnerable to the workings of basic principals. If they're not helping everyone, or a large majority, then they can be easily done away with (a change in political climate, a shift to the next big thing, etc.). So it is karma. If you're not contributing to something meaningful, it's a question of when, not if, you will pay the price in time/resources invested.

When do these sectors that are getting crushed capitulate?

I find this all to be such bullshit. People say the market is forward looking last year when Coronavirus was mowing people down and others were out of work. The market was doing unfathomable new shit.

Now the vaccines are out and cases and deaths are dropping, and suddenly the forward looking has stopped and people are losing their fucking minds.

ManofOne

Plus Member
When do these sectors that are getting crushed capitulate?

I find this all to be such bullshit. People say the market is forward looking last year when Coronavirus was mowing people down and others were out of work. The market was doing unfathomable new shit.

Now the vaccines are out and cases and deaths are dropping, and suddenly the forward looking has stopped and people are losing their fucking minds.

The 2nd largest group is retail investors. They were the 4th largest a few years ago. Market lost its damn mind a long time ago.

Reduce tech exposure and go into anti inflation trades (returns are WAYYYYY lower but its a good hedge).

Top Bottom