• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

dem

PINS-pocalypse part 2..

And.. of course amazon is destroying me. But.. I mean.. It was lower than this in June.
I should probably stop putting off diversifying my RRSP. Amazon is a nice 60% of my holdings right now.

Bought some BABA today.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Bah. My optimism for DAL and NCLH is waning. I'd thought people will go out more due to cabin fever. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for a while.

reksveks

oh dear....tencent crashed...all game makers followed :messenger_confounded:

Lol, the CCP tanking their gaming companies, I know that they have already talked or implemented some laws about restrictions in terms of the amount of time. This is that.

PINS-pocalypse part 2..

And.. of course amazon is destroying me. But.. I mean.. It was lower than this in June.
I should probably stop putting off diversifying my RRSP. Amazon is a nice 60% of my holdings right now.

Bought some BABA today.
BABA and AMAZON sound solid, I think there's been some market manipulation keeping such obvious good buys from achieving greater growth. But long term I expect them to have great success, barring catastrophic systemic collapse.
(not financial advice)

Lol, the CCP tanking their gaming companies, I know that they have already talked or implemented some laws about restrictions in terms of the amount of time. This is that.

Take a look at Jack Ma's crackdown if you want to see scary CCP restrictions.

HoodWinked

Interesting day.

Bit of a missed opportunity, had Activision Blizzard on my mind lately with the lawsuit and had a feeling the stock would crater with the current sentiments but most people don't give a fuck other than the vocal minority, so felt the stock would recover. Wish I knew the earnings would be released today cause I likely would have bought. Anyways if you bought at the lows during normal trading and sold after hours you would have gotten a 9% return.

5i2SAcn.png

Also Robinhood had been doing pretty poorly since IPO which felt like a win for the small guys. Anyways that didn't last long the stock rocketed to $52 today after hours. Only solace is that Vlad sold 2.5% ($45 million) of his holding at bottom. FeelsBadMan

92kvoBx.png

Last edited:
Cashed out ASX: ABB (Aussie Broadband ISP). They struck a 5 year deal this week and the stock got a good bump yesterday/today. Sold on a high and turned a 91% profit. I'll buy back in at a low point but wanted some cash for house renovations and a little side money for other investments before end of year. They'll grow more over the long term.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Any tips to weather out the 5.4% inflation? Should I just park my money in cash or are there stock that can weather the storm?
Inflation will not raise the cost of common goods. It will raise the cost of scarce assets. From some perspectives, stocks are scarce assets. Real state assets are also scarce assets.
Just don’t park your wealth in cash. At least that is not what I am doing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last few months were a slow bleed to hell. My stocks limped to around -10% from my high.

But the past few days, I'm back to only -1%. Big rebounds including I got into the AMC craze!!! and made $10/share! Just dumped it this morning for $46.

LOL

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How dare you? I thought you were holding strong for us Apes??
Nope. Hit and move strategy for me. Sometimes it works (RMG which used to be Romeo Power. Sold at around $30, now at $5!), sometimes it doesnt. Lightspeed at $120+ cdn. Made money twice selling at $75 and $100 or so. Damn. If only I held it all to now.

Last edited:

dem

Looks like I bought BABA a bit early...
I think I will keep building a position there though.

Last edited:
I started trading back in January and I'm around $500 in the green but the missed opportunities just keep haunting my dreams. I closed BBIG the other day and look at it today, I also closed SCR early. My job keeps me really busy and it's hard to focus on trading. It sucks but oh well, I'm still green at the end of the day. Gotta keep at it.

Edit: American Airlines is being nice to me though. I'm making $103 bucks on it right now with only 100 shares. Do you guys see it rising to $22 or so? I want to hold it for a while longer.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I started trading back in January and I'm around $500 in the green but the missed opportunities just keep haunting my dreams. I closed BBIG the other day and look at it today, I also closed SCR early. My job keeps me really busy and it's hard to focus on trading. It sucks but oh well, I'm still green at the end of the day. Gotta keep at it.

Edit: American Airlines is being nice to me though. I'm making $103 bucks on it right now with only 100 shares. Do you guys see it rising to $22 or so? I want to hold it for a while longer.

Airlines are kinda shit

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man I knew PTON was going to get crushed should have shorted it.
Wow. Didn't follow Pelton closely but knew it zoomed up during Covid Didn't know it crash and burned since beginning of the year. What happened? Fad is over?

Side note: Happy to say my portfolio is back to peak performance. Had two months of slow bleed dead time, but in one week it zoomed up 10% back to a high.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone thinking about rolling the dice on Chinese stocks? A bunch of Chinese tech firms are down 50% or more. BABA, Baidu, Tencent, Tencent Music.

jadedm17

Nope. Hit and move strategy for me. Sometimes it works (RMG which used to be Romeo Power. Sold at around $30, now at $5!), sometimes it doesnt. Lightspeed at $120+ cdn. Made money twice selling at $75 and $100 or so. Damn. If only I held it all to now.
Market Summary > AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc
NYSE: AMC
47.13 USD +3.81 (8.80%)today

Hope you don't make another regret here. :p
Personally I'm holding for much bigger numbers because I love the movement, but I fully understand how some wouldn't want to risk it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm a completely noob so sorry for the question but how do you choose where to invest? And how much money are we talking?
If your employer offers 401(k) contribution matching, prioritize that in a low fee index fund (s&p 500 index or total stock market index). The matched contributions are effectively free money. After that is sorted out, you can put $6k/year into a Roth IRA or Traditional IRA for tax advantages, also in a low fee s&p 500 index fund or total stock market index fund. Vanguard is a great option there, or Charles Schwab or Fidelity offer similar products.

Those index funds typically have historical average returns of about 7% per year after inflation. Long term it adds up and will have you sitting pretty for retirement, with potentially millions if you start early. The vast majority of people who trade individual stocks underperform that 7%/year on a long-term time horizon, even if they follow the market obsessively. The low fee index fund lets you avoid stress about the ups and downs of individual stocks. Instead you’re investing in the entire market, which historically goes up even if any number of companies inevitably fail any given year.

If you max out your yearly contributions on the 401(k) and IRA, and still want to invest more, then you can look into other options.

Not financial advice.

What if they put quotas on how much music people can listen to?

I'm sure you're being sarcastic. I see the point CCP is making about online games being a "spiritual opium" and I don't think it's a second cultural revolution. I think FT described it as a China being a "nanny state" because it's treating it's citizen like children but I see it as China's growth policy implementation.

Whether we like it or not, China isn't going to be another USSR. It's end game is to out grow and out innovate the US to the point where it'll be able to make an offer US can't refuse. Peace on equal terms, meaning China gets to do things in their half of the world that US has done in the middle east these past decades or prepare for war. This "nanny state" policy isn't just some wacky random thing, it seems quite logical and calculated to me.

Chinese parents are anxious about their kids failing in school so they push them into the private after schools, but when the kids eventually burn out, they go to online video games to escape reality. Maybe also direct that anger towards CCP and foment some radical revolutionary demands during online chats. But the political dissident fear is just a western talking point.
One of the things that get brought up about Chinese growth prospect is their declining birth rate. If the CCP can impose a 1 child policy, it'll find a way to get the birth rate up and I think this is part of that policy.

The notion that wealth and fame can get you special privilege seems to be another thing that CCP is tackling. Some famous actress "disappearing" might be because of that.
Data collecting apps getting banned seems a pretty straight outcome considering what happened with PokemonGo.

I'd be scared of the risk of CCP suddenly announcing another policy, but I do want to make money. So not watching Chinese stocks isn't an option for me, although I did ditch NIO at a loss.

Edit
I'm going to start learning mandarin.

Last edited:
Huge gains after the long weekend that were mostly pulled back today, but there's like 90% red on my watchlist today, hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Last edited:
The marathon on ASX: KIS begins, the Tungsten mine reopening I've posted about before and invested in early; being a long term high magnitude return. They just closed a deal worth about $30Mil annually, deal was signed for minimum $110Mil supply. They'll keep making similar deals as production commences and ramps up. It's already bumping back up in price trend but I'm holding for likely another 12-36 months to maximise my return. Hoping for 10-25X return in that window. They've probably signed off about half of KIS' annual output capacity before exports and production kick next year. Good news.

Fools idol

Banned
I passed the 7 figure portfolio mark earlier this year when Tesla got to $900 or so intraday and this year has been very frustrating since.

Debating whether or not to pull some profit off the table there and roll into more cloudflare and nvidia. Seems like their services will not suffer as much as Tesla's by the shortage.

I passed the 7 figure portfolio mark earlier this year when Tesla got to $900 or so intraday and this year has been very frustrating since.

Debating whether or not to pull some profit off the table there and roll into more cloudflare and nvidia. Seems like their services will not suffer as much as Tesla's by the shortage.
Nice one.

Top Bottom