• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock PS4 drive has 408GB usable space. (Read the image in OP)

it really isn't that big of an issue as long as deleting installs is quick and easy to access.

Is it though?

btw: can you play installed retail ps4 games without the disc in there?

Unless the digital versions load faster... then you're screwed because there is no OS-level "install entire game to HD" option.

If there's ever a situation where load times or performance are clearly better, the digital option is always there. I'm more of a physical guy no matter what, though.

Timeaisis

Yup, that's how Harddrive work. 500 GB is really around ~ 465 GB (in real computer terms).

Hard drives are always measured as if 1,000 KB were in a MB, 1,000 MB were in a GB, etc, when in reality 1,024 KB are in a MB (to any computer and devices) and 1,024 MB are in GB. Thus, accounting for part of the discrepancy. As for the 408 GB usable space, the remaining is most likely the OS plus any additional firmware or default installed applications. From this, we know that out of the box the PS4 OS plus it's firmware, plus it's pre-installed applications (that one cannot removed) comes to around 57 GB, which is quite large.

I have been saying this in other threads (particularly the various PS4 "caching" threads), 500 GB is not enough space if every game utilizes their "caching" solution. As we can see, 3 games have utilized ~84 GB (minus some for other downloaded applications like Netflix and such, but this is most likely +/- 5GB). Thtat's a lot of space, and we are going to be running out of HD space very, very quickly. And I thought Wii U was bad with 32 GB. At least there I can choose to buy retail and save space.

EDIT: See Shadow Hog's post directly below this for even further clarification.

HDDs have gotten into the habit of calling a "gigabyte" 1000000000 bytes (1000³ - consistent with other Metric uses of the "giga-" prefix)... but OS writers still call a "gigabyte" 1073741824 bytes (1024³ - inconsistent with the Metric uses, but it's been very heavily ingrained in computer culture; IIRC the Metric term for this is "gibibyte", or GiB for short). This discrepancy means you're taking about 7% of the listed size in gigabytes off for what you actually get in the box. It's a cheap and sleazy way of making you think you're getting more for your money than you actually are, but they do put a disclaimer on the bottom explaining they measure it in terms of 1000000000 bytes, so it's technically not false advertising.

So yeah, when Sony says you're getting a 500 GB hard drive, you're getting a 465.6612873077392578125 GiB hard drive.

EDIT: of course the instant I post this somebody posts another explanation just before mine :V

Curious to see how much space my six launch games (not including Contrast and Resogun) eat.

Ghosts
Killzone
Injustice
Battlefield 4
Need for Speed
Assassin's Creed

I'm considering NBA 2k14 as well. Almost seems like I might fill a great deal of that at launch. Still holding off on a new HDD for now. Want to see how well different drives work on the PS4.

Curious to see how much space my six launch games (not including Contrast and Resogun) eat.

Ghosts
Killzone
Injustice
Battlefield 4
Need for Speed
Assassin's Creed

I'm considering NBA 2k14 as well. Almost seems like I might fill a great deal of that at launch. Still holding off on a new HDD for now. Want to see how well different drives work on the PS4.

The game sizes are out there if you want to look for them. The giantbomb unboxing has a lot of them in there too. The games you listed will take up roughly 190GB (not counting NBA)

Timeaisis

This is kind of cementing my inclination to wait for a 1TB model until getting a PS4. I don't feel like buying another External HD just for my game console. I'm not a fan of this trend at all.

This is kind of cementing my inclination to wait for a 1TB model until getting a PS4. I don't feel like buying another External HD just for my game console. I'm not a fan of this trend at all.

You can't use an external HD on the PS4. There are 1TB drives on the market that fit the PS4 for $80 or less.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So bad idea to put in my 250GB SSD? :)

And that's why you need a minimum of 160GB.
100ish for the OS, and 50ish for the random game.

Kacho

Dang, almost 100 gigs...500GB was not enough for both consoles. Makes we wonder how much space will be available on the Xbox One.

Metalmarc

I bet theres a lot of people who aren't concerned about storage space, probably forgotten about the share button storage as well as patches, saves and mandatory installs

Stike

I think that missing 57 GB consist of about 7 GB OS and 50 GB "reserved" scratch disk space - meaning space to buffer game data, recorded videos and all those kinds of things.

synce

Hardly a surprise. PS3 is the same bullshit. My 750GB drive ended up having something like 600 usable. The bigger the drive, the bigger percentage the console reserves. No idea what for

frayne182

Banned
I expected to have around 400gb on both systems when all was said and done anyways. Gave some of my less technical friends this assumption as well just in case. Some of them thought 500gb was 500gb.

Threads like this make me want to punch things. It was no different when people were bitching that the 32 gig surface had way less space available. No shit people. Like every phone. Tablet. Like the consoles last gen.

Hard drive sizes have been reported like this for ages. Where the hell were you?

Timeaisis

You can't use an external HD on the PS4. There are 1TB drives on the market that fit the PS4 for $80 or less.

Well, my point still stands. I don't want to invest in another hard drive specifically for a console just yet. I'd rather just have a bigger one out of the box. 500 GB doesn't seem like much the way that PS4 games are making use of it.

Withnail

Hardly a surprise. PS3 is the same bullshit. My 750GB drive ended up having something like 600 usable. The bigger the drive, the bigger percentage the console reserves. No idea what for

I think it's always around 10%. Obviously on larger disks this means a larger area.

It's a swap partition, an area to be used as temporary storage. You see how Uncharted is constantly using the HDD but doesn't have an install? It's using the swap area.

Threads like this make me want to punch things. It was no different when people were bitching that the 32 gig surface had way less space available. No shit people. Like every phone. Tablet. Like the consoles last gen.

Hard drive sizes have been reported like this for ages. Where the hell were you?

Trolls and children most likely. Oh noes, my PC HDD doesn't have 600GB available with only Windows on it, what da fack

erawsd

Considering how simple the PS4 OS appears to be, my guess is that 50-55GB of that is reserved for disk caching. The OS is probably not much more than 1-2 gigs.

Withnail

Calm down bro. There's still over 50GB unaccounted for even after the GB/GiB conversion.

Well, my point still stands. I don't want to invest in another hard drive specifically for a console just yet. I'd rather just have a bigger one out of the box. 500 GB doesn't seem like much the way that PS4 games are making use of it.

I don't fault you. I think both hardware makers understood the inherent value of a single SKU for launch though. We'll see other models down the road.

I'm personally waiting to see if SSHDs do anything to decide between 1TB SSHD and the new spinpoint M9T 2TB that was just announced.

Portugeezer

Never understood why people have a problem deleting shit they don't play.

I install all my 360 games on my 60GB (much like PS4, a game could be about 10% of total HDD space) and space was never a problem.

synce

I think it's always around 10%. Obviously on larger disks this means a larger area.

It's a swap partition, an area to be used as temporary storage. You see how Uncharted is constantly using the HDD but doesn't have an install? It's using the swap area.

Thanks for clearing this up

Still, disappointed Sony went this route again

frayne182

Banned
Never understood why people have a problem deleting shit they don't play.

I install all my 360 games on my 60GB (much like PS4, a game could be about 10% of total HDD space) and space was never a problem.

agreed. I just delete when I'm done. I might keep 2-3 games on at a time max. My main game and maybe 2 others that I might play when friends are over and we want to play multiplayer.

frayne182

Banned
No... otherwise people would just install and trade their game in.

or give it to all their friends.

Off topic fun fact. I scratched up my Black Ops 2 disk pretty bad to the point it wouldn't play on the 360 anymore. I had a friend bring his copy of the game over and install it on the HDD. I put my disk back in and it worked fine from then on out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So if you do a day one HDD upgrade, how much will the PS4 have to download, if any? Is playroom preinstalled?

erawsd

Actually, its not the same thing. Hard drives have less usable space than advertised, but no where near a 100GB less. Its an abnormal amount so its understandable for people to question why.

For instance, a 32GB iPad or Android tablet has ~27GB of usable space, a Surface had 16GB so people were right to wonder why MS needed an extra 10GB.

For what it's worth, I don't expect Xbox One to be any better in that regard. Back when it was announced and the first promotional material appeared on Live, there was small print saying that a significant portion of 500 GB would be occupied by the OS and apps.

Top Bottom