• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STOP begging for Easy Mode in Elden Ring!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Add an easy mode and the ability to swap mid game and I'd be interested in checking it out, until then I've no interest in potentially being stuck with a game that's going to take hours and hours just to beat one boss. I get very little spare time to play games, I want to make progress during that time not bash my head against a brick wall.
It's honestly not that bad in terms of difficulty.

Yes, it will take you dozens and dozens of hours to really explore the game and to be able to play it in a manner that is actually pretty leisurely and chill.

I have put 65 hours into the game not once have I reached a point where I absolutely needed to beat a boss in order to progress. The first real boss, you can just avoid outright, there's a path around the Castle entrance he's blocking and it leads you to a massive section of the map. That section then leads to other sections, etc.

It's such a chill game and the more you play it, the more your confidence grows. The enemies are in the same place each time you die, or rest at a grace point, so you get familiar with the layout and you can just avoid encampments when you're on horseback by jumping over everything. You could literally just collect berries for hours and sell them to level up, lol.

If you get to the point where you can dedicate some good time towards the game, I highly recommend it. That should honestly be your biggest hang up, the time element. Don't let the difficulty prevent you from playing it cause it honestly isn't that bad once you get a feel for how the game controls, etc.

Last edited:
. . .if a games "vision" is compromised because of options that allow more people to engage with the game itself, then perhaps it wasn't that strong of a "vision" to begin with.
https://gamingbolt.com/difficulty-in-our-games-is-a-part-of-our-identity-says-elden-ring-director-hidetaka-miyazaki#:~:text=According to Miyazaki, the difficulty,gives meaning to the experience. Apperently the Fromsoftware president disagrees.

Again it bares repeating, not every game is nor should be for the mainstream.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

See, I'm looking at this game as a non-fanboy and I don't see the difficulty as some sort of "genius". I see it as a lack of play testing and balancing. To me it seems like the genius of this Miakazy bro is that he convinced all the fanbois to buy his games while not having to pay a QA staff.

Valt7786

It doesn't need an easy mode. It has so many ingame methods of making things easier for you. You just might need to think about it instead of just charging in thinking "HUR GREATSWORD GO BRRR". You got summons, you got ash summons, you got online summoning, you have magic and debuffs and items. USE THEM. Work your way through the game til you get Mimic Tear, upgrade it then sit down and laugh at how easy everything becomes.

If it's still too much for you then sorry, 1 game out of the millions out there just maybe isn't for you. And that's ok.

It's honestly not that bad in terms of difficulty.

Yes, it will take you dozens and dozens of hours to really explore the game and to be able to play it in a manner that is actually pretty leisurely and chill.

I have put 65 hours into the game not once have I reached a point where I absolutely needed to beat a boss in order to progress. The first real boss, you can just avoid outright, there's a path around the Castle entrance he's blocking and it leads you to a massive section of the map. That section then leads to other sections, etc.

It's such a chill game and the more you play it, the more your confidence grows. The enemies are in the same place each time you die, or rest at a grace point, so you get familiar with the layout and you can just avoid encampments when you're on horseback by jumping over everything. You literally just collect berries for hours and sell them to level up, lol.

If you get to the point where you can dedicate some good time towards the game, I highly recommend it. That should honestly be your biggest hang up, the time element. Don't let the difficulty prevent you from playing it cause it honestly isn't that bad once you get a feel for how the game controls, etc.
To be clear I don't mind spending dozens of hours exploring a world and soaking up everything especially if I feel myself getting invested. It's purely hitting walls that prevent all progress or seeing anything new that immediately kills it for me.

Naturally difficulty is a subjective matter. Some people will play and a "Nightmare" setting and consider it "Easy" while others struggle on the "Easy" setting. I see it most weeks when my partner plays games which are always set to "Easy" and they can struggle sometimes.

Regardless of what anyone says and "creators intent" having an option in the menu that changes the difficulty doesn't hurt anyone. And noone is convincing me otherwise. If it's truly "creators intent" then have it come up with a prompt saying:

"Hey look, this was designed to be at standard difficulty and we think you'll get the most out of your gaming experience of this game on that setting. Are you absolutely sure you want to change it? you can always change your mind later."

Hurts noone..

WitchHunter

They are literally drowning in money. If they need more I'm sure they'll include a clown mode.

The way to deal with whinos:

Lock them in the room, only water, will give food when first boss defeated.

Last edited:

Jadsey

The problem isn’t the difficulty tbh.

Just spec Astrolger, Mimic Summon +10, shoot a giant chicken off a ledge until your level 200, game completed.

I think Elden Ring is the worst Souls game I’ve played.

I preferred Lords of the Fallen.

Elden Ring boss designs are mostly awful and rehashed over and over. The open world is fun to explore for a bit, but it’s mostly just filler content after a while. The combat leans way too heavily towards sorcery and incantations…melee is redundant in this game.

In short….the game is all sizzle and no sausage.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I'm stunned honestly, that Miyazaki doesn't think his philosophy on game design needs to change.

Again it bares repeating, not every game is nor should be for the mainstream.

But you'll crow about sales numbers when they occur, particularly if they indicate "mainstream success." Got it.

Hurts noone..

I dunno about that. There are clearly some folks in this thread who would be gutted if more people got to play their "sacred thing. . ."

There is an easy mode.
Propel Water Jet GIF by Xbox
Wasn’t that severely nerfed with the latest patch?

I'm stunned honestly, that Miyazaki doesn't think his philosophy on game design needs to change.

But you'll crow about sales numbers when they occur, particularly if they indicate "mainstream success." Got it.

I dunno about that. There are clearly some folks in this thread who would be gutted if more people got to play their "sacred thing. . ."

The only reason i'm talking about mainstream success is because your point of it making it niche is shot down. If lack of difficulty settings are making their games niche then surely Elden Ring wouldn't be successful as it is. But apparently you're don't realize you lost your argument.

But hey keep on complaining about a few games from some game company being difficult. Not like you have plenty of other games to play that are already easy.

Anyway, Not every game is going to be for everyone nor they should be.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
How are people modding stuff like godmode splitting the player base and ruining your overall experience???
That's completely different and irrelevant to what people are calling for. If people want to install 3rd party mods, go for it. Doesn't bother me any.

The issue with an EASY mode is that the game isn't designed with it in mind and From Software shouldn't have to cater to people who aren't willing to put in the effort to play the game as its intended to be played.

I say that as someone who has never beat a Souls game. I'm not some master of these games, I kinda suck at them but I also really appreciate what they are and have no problems watching YouTube videos in order to experience the art style, etc for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 & 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro.

Elden Ring is approachable as can be and people who are still hung up on the "difficulty" just need to move along. Either play the game or just go do something else. Demanding something that isn't supposed to be there is just absolutely ridiculous. I'll keep repeating it too, ER isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. The game gives you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want and there's always something to find and a plethora of check points. It's a cake walk compared to other games in the series.

I honestly think the main factor that makes these style of games really difficult is the fact that most bosses or larger enemies can easily one or two shot kill your character and they typically take a plethora of damage. Any game would be hard if the enemies could take you out in one or two hits while they can absorb a lot of damage from your puny attacks. Not to mention that most of the bosses and larger enemies are extremely aggressive and tanky.

In other words, I always thought the difficulty in these type of games was kind of artificial in a way and Elden Ring seems no different so far to me. Then again, the checkpoints are considerably better, so that helps it a little.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wasn’t that severely nerfed with the latest patch?

No. That is the actual spell. There was an item that had the spell attached to it (it's what they've done with a lot of the Ash of Wars which feels kind of lazy honestly).

The only reason i'm talking about mainstream success is because your point of it making it niche is shot down.

Except you haven't. My point was to call out the ridiculous gatekeeping you were suggesting with your original response.

But hey keep on complaining about a few games from some game company being difficult. Not like you have plenty of other games to play that are already easy.

. . .well there's your problem. You've got a serious case of reading comprehension. I haven't done that in a single response in this thread.

No. That is the actual spell. There was an item that had the spell attached to it (it's what they've done with a lot of the Ash of Wars which feels kind of lazy honestly).

Except you haven't. My point was to call out the ridiculous gatekeeping you were suggesting with your original response.

. . .well there's your problem. You've got a serious case of reading comprehension. I haven't done that in a single response in this thread.
HAHA! Suggesting that someone who thinks a game is too hard for them to play something isn't gatekeeping. You are completely stupid. Holy shit. If The Thing is too scary a movie for my friend to watch, i'll suggest they watch Iron Man or something less scary.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
lol. Why is it so hard to comprehend that the game is supposed to be challenging and making it easier would water down the experience. <---From Software clearly doesn't want to do that.

Few people are actually of the "git gud"/gate keeping mindset. Those are people who are largely just trolling/antagonizing people who are screaming for an easy mode.

9/10 ER players would happily link up with whoever to help them out in an area or give them tips to make something easier. There are people who farm Souls by placing their summon sign outside boss areas. It's actually one of the best communities in gaming. The thing that happened is that two camps of cringe worthy trolls are battling it out for who can be the bigger douche, while everyone else is just enjoying the game and are trying to show why it's a unique experience and shouldn't be altered.

If people just shut up and actually put some time and effort into the game, they'd see that it's not as daunting as people make it out to be. Technical issues aside on certain platforms, the game is mostly a breeze to play and the ramps in difficulty have all kinds of mechanics to help the player out.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's completely different and irrelevant to what people are calling for. If people want to install 3rd party mods, go for it. Doesn't bother me any.

The issue with an EASY mode is that the game isn't designed with it in mind and From Software shouldn't have to cater to people who aren't willing to put in the effort to play the game as its intended to be played.

I say that as someone who has never beat a Souls game. I'm not some master of these games, I kinda suck at them but I also really appreciate what they are and have no problems watching YouTube videos in order to experience the art style, etc for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 & 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro.

Elden Ring is approachable as can be and people who are still hung up on the "difficulty" just need to move along. Either play the game or just go do something else. Demanding something that isn't supposed to be there is just absolutely ridiculous. I'll keep repeating it too, ER isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. The game gives you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want and there's always something to find and a plethora of check points. It's a cake walk compared to other games in the series.
It's completely relevant because as people can mod stuff like this and doesn't bother you or anyone, devs could give an "ease toggle" to just make you take like half of the damage and the designs would not change a single bit for the normal difficult. Of course they are not obligated to do this.

Notabueno

Banned
Nintendo needs to add a hard mode to Super Mario Odyssey. I can't enjoy it otherwise, it's not fair.

That's the thing: they never needed too. If you want hard, try to get some of the last shines in parallel levels, but the rest of the game is fluid and enjoyable.

speckz

I'm not sure about the easy or hard mode, but for gamers with disabilities and other impairments, some accessibility should be built into the games so as not to exclude players.

It's completely relevant because as people can mod stuff like this and doesn't bother you or anyone, devs could give an "ease toggle" to just make you take like half of the damage and the designs would not change a single bit for the normal difficult. Of course they are not obligated to do this.
People mod shit All the time. Hey Someone mods Anime girls in Dark Souls. As such they could allow a mode to make your character into an anime girl, but they won't.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Elden Ring does have an Easy mode.

Just get a Spirit Ash and upgrade it to +10.

My Mimic Tear +10 literally helped me destroy every boss in the game.

Notabueno

Banned
I tried Elden Ring for a few hours, like the universe. Eventually put down the control and will never pick it up again.

I deal with enough challenges and actual real-life hustle to be a loser who's proud of wasting beating a boss after 30 redundant time. I want value, fin and most importantly a well -designed-, -balanced- and -curved- game. I think Dark Souls is a success by chance not by design, because the game design was liked not because it's great but because enough people bothered in a time when difficulty had become rare/retro...but the truth it's that it's probably a bad design or a mistake that became a formula, and this formula is passing in trend.

Elden Ring does have an Easy mode.

Just get a Spirit Ash and upgrade it to +10.

My Mimic Tear +10 literally helped me destroy every boss in the game.
not sure when you last played, but the patch that came out a few days ago nerfed mimic ash

phase 1 of final boss can melt my mimic ash pretty fast

haven't really tried it against other bosses post-patch as I was already at capital of ash or whatever when the patch came out

lol. Why is it so hard to comprehend that the game is supposed to be challenging and making it easier would water down the experience. <---From Software clearly doesn't want to do that.

Few people are actually of the "git gud"/gate keeping mindset. Those are people who are largely just trolling/antagonizing people who are screaming for an easy mode.

9/10 ER players would happily link up with whoever to help them out in an area or give them tips to make something easier. There are people who farm Souls by placing their summon sign outside boss areas. It's actually one of the best communities in gaming. The thing that happened is that two camps of cringe worthy trolls are battling it out for who can be the bigger douche, while everyone else is just enjoying the game and are trying to show why it's a unique experience and shouldn't be altered.

If people just shut up and actually put some time and effort into the game, they'd see that it's not as daunting as people make it out to be. Technical issues aside on certain platforms, the game is mostly a breeze to play and the ramps in difficulty have all kinds of mechanics to help the player out.
They could also go play some other games that are more in their taste or play some mods. The suggestion that maybe a game isn't for you is hardly gatekeeping and it is not the responsiblity for Fromsoft to change their design to appease some vocal group who wants a breeze. Now if we are talking about stuff like texts, control mapping, or blind mode then sure we can have a talk.

Last edited:

Alphagear

not sure when you last played, but the patch that came out a few days ago nerfed mimic ash

haven't really tried it against other bosses post-patch as I was already at capital of ash or whatever when the patch came out

Ah right I finished the game a couple of weeks ago. Still just having a Spirit Ash put off a boss is enough.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
HAHA! Suggesting that someone who thinks a game is too hard for them to play something isn't gatekeeping.

On its own? No. Within the context of a thread criticizing people for asking for an "easy mode." Yes. It absolutely is. You fucking ponce.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the comment you quoted or why you think I don't understand FS's perspective on the matter.

To be clear, I have no problem with the "general" difficulty of the game (I think in terms of FS's other efforts, this game has some of the laziest challenge design in the history of FS games). I do have a problem with people, like the ponce I quoted before you, suggesting that designing a hypothetical change (because it isn't going to happen with this game) to make the game "easier" (and easier doesn't mean you just increase the damage a player does and decrease the damage that is done to you, as I'm sure the absolute fucking ponce I quoted before you thinks "easy mode" means to a lot of the critics) compromises the overall challenge of the game necessarily.

. . .and if it does, then FS doesn't have the game they think they have.

Alphagear

I beat every boss with it. Needed it for the Godskin Duo and even Melania was a breeze.

Fredrik

I went in with the idea that I’ll most likely never finish Elden Ring and then the difficulty hasn’t been bothering me. Is that weird? Well then I’m weird.

Haven’t finished Ikaruga, Raiden 1,2, IO, Truxton 1,2 either, still among my absolute favorite shmups. Haven’t finished Dungeon Master, my favorite dungeon dweller. Haven’t finished Skyrim, my favorite RPG. It’s okay, I’ve still enjoyed my time playing more than most other games.

On its own? No. Within the context of a thread criticizing people for asking for an "easy mode." Yes. It absolutely is. You fucking ponce.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the comment you quoted or why you think I don't understand FS's perspective on the matter.

To be clear, I have no problem with the "general" difficulty of the game (I think in terms of FS's other efforts, this game has some of the laziest challenge design in the history of FS games). I do have a problem with people, like the ponce I quoted before you, suggesting that designing a hypothetical change (because it isn't going to happen with this game) to make the game "easier" (and easier doesn't mean you just increase the damage a player does and decrease the damage that is done to you, as I'm sure the absolute fucking ponce I quoted before you thinks "easy mode" means to a lot of the critics) compromises the overall challenge of the game necessarily.

Gatekeeping is a word that has no meaning especially when it is used by those who are upset that someone doesn't want to change the design of their game. Anyone can play this game, but they aren't entitled to beat it. You got Fromsoftware's idea of their vision, they don't want easy mode as they think it changes their design of what they want. Are they ponces too because they don't want to give your beloved Easy mode? At this point you either play the game, stay with it until the end, or you just play something else.

Last edited:

StormCell

I don't think this game is necessarily hard. I think it's unnecessarily unforgiving. I hate that the most basic move in the game, a short sword swing, takes ~2.5 seconds. The strong attack, good lord forget about it your ass is dead if you accidentally this button in a fight with a serious opponent, is going to take over 4 seconds. I remembered timing these when I first started ER, and I was like yep that's a From game. You hit a button and go make a sandwich, then come back and watch the rape ensue if it was the wrong input. It's not quite that bad, obviously, but for a game with hundreds or thousands of foes and bosses over 100x stronger than the common foes on the map, it's such a bitch that all the combat flows through this clunky ass frame-significant combat system. Basically, there's no way to cancel out of a heavy attack that is going to last several seconds, and furthermore there are just hundreds of attacks where rolling on the right frame is oh so stupidly important as to not even be executed perfectly in the youtube videos meant to demonstrate how to get through bosses.

Sure, I can make the shit easy, but I can't make it not shit, if you know what I mean. I'm having all this fun, but I just wish the combat situation was a little better. I'm tired of mf'ers catching me on a bad frame and impaling me a couple of times for up to two thirds of my health and shit like that. Sure, I can level up and improve all my gear but it doesn't change the fact that I will just run into Johnny Morebadass who will basically do the same.

I'm just not a fan of games that feel unforgiving. On the bright side, it's hard to really be mad about it because bitches can't keep up with me on my cheap horse, and I almost always get my runes back. Only thing they didn't do is give me a cheap ass bitchin' way to teleport out of a boss fight on a whim. lol

Ugh, get a life. Some people aren't good at the game and might be unable to progress. It literally makes no difference to your experience if they had an option with e.g double the health.
Just go play something else. Not everything is for you. If you can play something like Mario Odyssey, you have enough gaming skills to overcome Souls games. If you're unwilling to overcome the challenge, the game isn't for you.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Negative. As far as I know, you can't play online with mods, so that in itself renders these players irrelevant cause they can't engage with anyone in a meaningful way. Or, you can try to play online but Steam says you'll get banned. Not sure how it's handled for consoles. And still, these are 3rd party mods, it completely bypasses what From Software created and turns it into its own warped experience. Also, if they can play online, I'd be pissed if someone entered my game with god mode turned on and then went and killed the boss for me. I want help, I don't want someone to come in and completely cheese the game for me.

It comes down to what From Software wants to design. If they themselves put in an easy mode, I wouldn't bitch. I'm sure they'd put some neat spin on it. But that being said, I don't agree whatsoever with people demanding that one be put in. These games are designed in a way that creates a really fun and unique community experience. Some people love to share stores of how they got over a difficult section, some people love to search out hidden areas, some like to mine for lore, some are all about PvP and invading games, some want to coop.

Is it possible to have an online system that would allow easy mode and normal mode to engage with each other in PvP or Coop? How would that damage system work. I mean, you summon in two people who are playing easy mode into a game that's on normal mode, do they still take half damage? If so, that's a really easy way to cheese the game. If the people in easy mode take regular damage, then they're experiencing the difficulty that they're trying to avoid.

Would the online mode be 2 sets? One for easy mode players, one for normal mode players? Would these bloodstains and messages appear in both modes? Point being, all these things would potentially split the player base to cater towards people who aren't willing to engage with the game in its intended fashion, and that's why I will always think it's bullshit that a small but vocal crowd does this every time a From Software game releases.

I'd be 100% fine with an easy mode if it was strictly offline and they all had pacifiers in their mouths and the weapon was a pool noodle. That would be amazing. lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They could also go play some other games that are more in their taste or play some mods. The suggestion that maybe a game isn't for you is hardly gatekeeping and it is not the responsiblity for Fromsoft to change their design to appease some vocal group who wants a breeze. Now if we are talking about stuff like texts, control mapping, or blind mode then sure.
I agree. My comment on the two troll camps was just playing devil's advocate to make some of the EASY mode crowd aware that the Souls community is welcoming and willing to assist people.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Negative. As far as I know, you can't play online with mods, so that in itself renders these players irrelevant cause they can't engage with anyone in a meaningful way. Or, you can try to play online but Steam says you'll get banned. Not sure how it's handled for consoles. And still, these are 3rd party mods, it completely bypasses what From Software created and turns it into its own warped experience. Also, if they can play online, I'd be pissed if someone entered my game with god mode turned on and then went and killed the boss for me. I want help, I don't want someone to come in and completely cheese the game for me.

It comes down to what From Software wants to design. If they themselves put in an easy mode, I wouldn't bitch. I'm sure they'd put some neat spin on it. But that being said, I don't agree whatsoever with people demanding that one be put in. These games are designed in a way that creates a really fun and unique community experience. Some people love to share stores of how they got over a difficult section, some people love to search out hidden areas, some like to mine for lore, some are all about PvP and invading games, some want to coop.

Is it possible to have an online system that would allow easy mode and normal mode to engage with each other in PvP or Coop? How would that damage system work. I mean, you summon in two people who are playing easy mode into a game that's on normal mode, do they still take half damage? If so, that's a really easy way to cheese the game. If the people in easy mode take regular damage, then they're experiencing the difficulty that they're trying to avoid.

Would the online mode be 2 sets? One for easy mode players, one for normal mode players? Would these bloodstains and messages appear in both modes? Point being, all these things would potentially split the player base to cater towards people who aren't willing to engage with the game in its intended fashion, and that's why I will always think it's bullshit that a small but vocal crowd does this every time a From Software game releases.

I'd be 100% fine with an easy mode if it was strictly offline and they all had pacifiers in their mouths and the weapon was a pool noodle. That would be amazing. lol.
Easily doing something like Blizzard did with Diablo 2 with auto HP scaling. For souls games could be online coop and PvP = auto everyone has the same normal damage/bosses HP. Offline mode let the player have 2x damage/bosses half HP "toggle".

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Because your comment was something about people preventing others from their "Sacred" experience, which to me implies that you think people are gate keeping and get off on others failing at the game.

No one is gate keeping and the baseline experience is worth keeping intact. People are willing to assist others in multiple ways and it's rewarding for everyone involved when you're helping someone out in coop and you beat the boss. It's a great experience that hits different from the vast majority of other games because that's what the game's baseline difficulty provides to each player, you just have to approach it head on and conquer it. Calling for an easy mode is dumb and lazy and waters down the experience. There are plenty of other games that fit the mold of what the EASY crowd is asking for. A development studio's vision shouldn't be altered because some people don't want to be left out. They themselves are the biggest hurdle they face cause they're hung up on their own insecurities.

There's a good undergrad behavioral studies thesis in there somewhere.

SCB3

Sekiro was way harder than Elden Ring mainly because of the learning curve, being so different from other Souls games. However, I do think that bosses in ER are unfair compared to previous titles, thankfully the Spirt Ashes can help you a lot against them.
Sekiro was the easiest once you figured the timing on the parries, I struggled the least with Sekiro compared to any souls like and I'm played pretty much all of them

Keihart

If monster hunter can go on to be the biggest capcom success as a mainstream game, there is no reason for Soulsborne games to become easier.
Monster Hunter is pretty much the harder game when comparing them and has a similar way to deal with it via upgrades, farming and co-op play, the only difference is how mainstream they are i guess.

Accesability is not difficulty binded, there was a blind dude that learned to play sfv competitevely, if someone doesn't want to even attempt to get gud that's beyond the accesability options of the game.

I think most of this complains come from game tourists, people that like to enjoy games as park atractions with little to no friction, where you look at pretty stuff and cool sounds hardly engagin with the game ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom