• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| Don't let your farming dreams be memes.

macklelol

I can't stop playing this game lol

Anyways, I like a lot of the changes that were made in this game. Not exactly a fan of needing to use farm circles to add more fields, but being able to rearrange my crops around freely is enough to make me overlook that.

also weeding is the worst.

Got some more time in over the weekend while out of town and totally spaced that the reason I didn't have livestock was monetary earlier on. I was thinking I hadn't unlocked them yet haha Kind of weird you can only fit one cow in the small barn and even more odd, one chicken in the small coop but at least it's a start. I'll have to upgrade those pronto when the upgrades become available. You get branches from the wild far too seldom in this iteration so I bought up a bunch of the lumber to upgrade my house so I'd get the hammer finally. Next play session I'll get to mine. I planted a grape and banana tree to get an early start on their growth as well. What is it we're supposed to hoard milk for exactly? I look forward to experiencing festivals soon. The part time jobs between both towns give me more to do during the day which is nice. I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the bachelorette prospects though and there isn't a stand out like there normally is for me. Hopefully once I get to know them better a personality or two will shine through. Not that I expected to see the good dialogue right off the bat or anything but one comes off really rude and unpleasant while another just wants to nap all the time.... Maybe the bitchy one will have a heart of gold she's concealing and perhaps here sister will become less lazy and have more to say later on ;p

Got my copy today! Along with the goofy little capybara haha.

And yes, limited time, school, Horizon lol. Maybe I'll play a little bit tonight before bed, but I must confess, I really want to play Horizon for hours tonight haha.
Nice! Yeah...I'm prioritzing Horizon myself haha Impeccable taste, my dear.

Anyways, I like a lot of the changes that were made in this game. Not exactly a fan of needing to use farm circles to add more fields, but being able to rearrange my crops around freely is enough to make me overlook that.

Hi Mackle! Another friend from the previous entries' thread! You actually have to create the farm circles to add more fields? I figured they were just for boons like past iterations.

Being able to move crops around certainly takes the worry out of planting fruit trees*.

*ah yes, the noble grape tree

What is it we're supposed to hoard milk for exactly?

You need it for the tropical town's first rank up. Do I need to spoiler this? I hope not.

Being able to move crops around certainly takes the worry out of planting fruit trees*.

*ah yes, the noble grape tree

You need it for the tropical town's first rank up. Do I need to spoiler this? I hope not.

Thanks! How many do you need? 20? 30? I don't think it's necessary to spoiler that but if anyone ever feels one of us says something they feel is a spoiler, please speak up. The only thing I can think of as a spoiler to some would be describing exactly what happens in the romance events or something.

You need 100s of Milk, there are several things that require Milk or Milk products (Cheese, Butter, Yogurt) to advance.

You can clear these goals with Milk purchased from a vendor. Natasha in Westown if I recall correctly. I'm just stubborn and try too hard to be self-sufficient. Besides, each animal can make up to 20 byproducts each time they are harvested, so it isn't too crazy to get them yourself.

For example, I've just started working on Westown Rank A, which requires you to ship
500 Livestock Byproducts and 100 Dairy Factory products

Thanks! How many do you need? 20? 30? I don't think it's necessary to spoiler that but if anyone ever feels one of us says something they feel is a spoiler, please speak up. The only thing I can think of as a spoiler to some would be describing exactly what happens in the romance events or something.

You need ten specifically for the rank up thing, though like Teriyaki Blues says, the grocery store in Westown will start selling Milk at some point, I forget what rank it is. It maybe the second one?

Thanks guys. I read somewhere that you could have a livestock produce 20 of it's product which is nuts haha That should make any reqs pretty easy.

Leeness

Nice! Yeah...I'm prioritzing Horizon myself haha Impeccable taste, my dear.

Haha thanks. Too bad I can't really play much right now... should focus on school 😩

And where are these grape tree seeds? I've only seen mango and, I think it was banana so far.

Hm... haven't seen them yet. Maybe it's too early!
If something isn't there yet, you probably need to rank the town up. Pretty sure I had Westown at D Rank before Lulukoko showed up. Or it might be gained through doing the first set of Farming Tips.

There aren't too many things that unlock from the passage of time in this game (unlike the preceding game: Year 4 Ferris Wheel, I'm calling you out), so if you're not sure where something is, it is likely to be hidden behind some goal you can accomplish. Other than the aforementioned story goals of Farming Tips and Town Ranks, some achievements unlock items, recipes, or additional perks.

I find this game maddeningly perfect in its complexity. Have only run into one glitch at all so far, which is easily dodged by saving before you take any part-time jobs that involve tools.

Leeness

If something isn't there yet, you probably need to rank the town up. Pretty sure I had Westown at D Rank before Lulukoko showed up. Or it might be gained through doing the first set of Farming Tips.

There aren't too many things that unlock from the passage of time in this game (unlike the preceding game: Year 4 Ferris Wheel, I'm calling you out), so if you're not sure where something is, it is likely to be hidden behind some goal you can accomplish. Other than the aforementioned story goals of Farming Tips and Town Ranks, some achievements unlock items, recipes, or additional perks.

I find this game maddeningly perfect in its complexity. Have only run into one glitch at all so far, which is easily dodged by saving before you take any part-time jobs that involve tools.

I just got Lulukoko and Weston is still E 😩 I guess I should be playing better...

The character events feel more, well, I don't want to say in-depth because that sounds like a stretch, but they certainly feel like an improvement over SoS's. Most events seem to involve multiple characters and it really helps create a stronger sense of community that the previous two games lacked.

Festivals are an improvement as well, it's still mostly the same system as ANB and SoS, but since every character doesn't show up to every festival, it helps make them feel a little less repetitive.

The character events feel more, well, I don't want to say in-depth because that sounds like a stretch, but they certainly feel like an improvement over SoS's. Most events seem to involve multiple characters and it really helps create a stronger sense of community that the previous two games lacked.

Festivals are an improvement as well, it's still mostly the same system as ANB and SoS, but since every character doesn't show up to every festival, it helps make them feel a little less repetitive.

Agreed 100%. I'm so glad they brought back a few of the Festivals where you actually do something rather than just watching a scene and biting your nails. I like the randomness and the cooking on-the-spot aspects of the new Cooking Festival the best so far. Horse/Dog races are the ones I miss the most now, they haven't been in an installment since Animal Parade if I recall correctly.

The Resident Events are fantastic if you take the time to read them. A lot of feels to go around, makes me really care about these characters. The fact that they talk about more stuff all the time is also making me very attached. I like that Frank gives me gifts back from my high star Chicken Eggs. I think all the characters do that if you give them Loved/Liked items with 3 or more stars?

macklelol

Agreed 100%. I'm so glad they brought back a few of the Festivals where you actually do something rather than just watching a scene and biting your nails. I like the randomness and the cooking on-the-spot aspects of the new Cooking Festival the best so far. Horse/Dog races are the ones I miss the most now, they haven't been in an installment since Animal Parade if I recall correctly.

The Resident Events are fantastic if you take the time to read them. A lot of feels to go around, makes me really care about these characters. The fact that they talk about more stuff all the time is also making me very attached. I like that Frank gives me gifts back from my high star Chicken Eggs. I think all the characters do that if you give them Loved/Liked items with 3 or more stars?

I got some gifts back from Inari and Iluka for giving them 4 star tea leaves, so that sounds about right. They don't give gifts that often though.

And yeah I'll agree that the friend events seem better this time around.

When can I build a Winery? I'm guessing it'll become available in year 2.

It feels like a mistake to not have some kind of music playing in the
Saloon at night when Frank and Miranda are playing
, it just uses the same night time music that plays everywhere and it's sort of weird.
Even the original Harvest Moon's bar had music at night!

Do character bad moods do anything? I know a lot of folks will mention being grumpy or tired or sad and when you give them a gift they're all like "Wow thanks this really cheered me up!" so does that like, give you more friendship points or...?

Theandrin

Fogu and Thonky haven't seemed to update yet in regards to treats. So far I have my cows giving me 10 milk a day, but I don't know if I should stop there. Does anyone know yet what the cap is on number of daily product?

The other treat areas seem pretty straight forward since I can easily see those on the animal screen in the barn, but I don't know how high the daily product number can go.

Fogu and Thonky haven't seemed to update yet in regards to treats. So far I have my cows giving me 10 milk a day, but I don't know if I should stop there. Does anyone know yet what the cap is on number of daily product?

The other treat areas seem pretty straight forward since I can easily see those on the animal screen in the barn, but I don't know how high the daily product number can go.

Japanese wiki says 20.

macklelol

Wow, getting reverse confessions and proposals seems really easy in this game. Just a few days left in the first year and Iluka proposed to me.

Timid animals seems to be type to go to if you wanna quickly increase the amount of byproduct you get. My timid sheep got to 20 byproducts first while my non-timid animals were at 14.

Man, it definitely feels like I wasn't supposed to have Tsuyukusa open in summer 1 because Watermelons are so far and away better than anything else you can grow this early.

Haha thanks. Too bad I can't really play much right now... should focus on school 😩

And where are these grape tree seeds? I've only seen mango and, I think it was banana so far.
I know, so many responsibilities ha I typically only get some gaming in before bed.

I see someone answered your grape question and don't fret on the town grade, you only need to get Westown up once for it and I did that simply by doing the part time jobs and shipping crops I've grown. If you focus on those jobs or if you haven't been shipping crops and start doing that, should come quick.

Man, it definitely feels like I wasn't supposed to have Tsuyukusa open in summer 1 because Watermelons are so far and away better than anything else you can grow this early.

That's great to hear about the events and I noticed that from one I did early on with Wayne and Frank. Loving all the little upgrades from the previous SoS. Also, I'll take that tip on the watermelon, thanks!

Leeness

Eh, play how you want. You can always use the trading option to get ahead or catch up later.

Haha I know, just being silly.

I know, so many responsibilities ha I typically only get some gaming in before bed.

I see someone answered your grape question and don't fret on the town grade, you only need to get Westown up once for it and I did that simply by doing the part time jobs and shipping crops I've grown. If you focus on those jobs or if you haven't been shipping crops and start doing that, should come quick.

I think Westown is pretty close, but now days are much longer with the added Lulukoko people to go see! Aaaaah! I can't imagine how it's going to be with the third town lol.

macklelol

Haha I know, just being silly.

I think Westown is pretty close, but now days are much longer with the added Lulukoko people to go see! Aaaaah! I can't imagine how it's going to be with the third town lol.

I had the same worries as you about the third town, but things surprisingly don't get too much worse when you get the it opened up. Mainly because all the northern parts of the towns are connected to each other. No more heading back to the crossroads to go to another town! It's still pretty hectic though lol.

Then there's fast travel which opens up later on.

The third town is kinda... in some ways it feels a bit like an after thought compared to the first two. Westown is super important because of the materials store and the mines, and Lulukoko has the actual crafter himself, but Tsuyukusa doesn't seem to really add anything on that level (Bizarrely it has the tailoring tutorial, even though both Westown and Lulukoko have tailoring services that unlock before Tsuyukusa).

This isn't a commentary on the characters or town design though, that's all great, it just lacks a sense of necessity compared to the first two.

Oh, I got the Mario costume though.

Kirie

Tsuyukusa has the weather forecaster and hairdresser at least :D Couldn't wait to change my hair style out of those braids asap, lol

Oooh awesome, I've got plenty of stuff to make Vegetable Tea, thanks! This is gonna make buying materials way less painful (though, man, who knew Glittering Stone would be such a difficult resource to get)

Looks like Farming Tips # 3 has a couple of mistranslations:
"Harvest Branded Items (Harvest any branded item a total of nine times!)" should be "Raise your brand nine times" and "Ship a lot of one item (Ship 1,000 of any single crop or animal byproduct)" should just be "Ship 1,000 crops/byproducts" - I'm not sure if it's like, 1000 crops or 1000 byproducts or if it can be like, 700 crops + 300 byproducts, all I know is that you definitely doesn't have to be one single type of crop.

I rolled my ankle on some stairs at work on Tuesday and at minimum have a grade 2 sprain (can't fully determine what it is until the swelling goes down which is taking forever) so basically I've had to sit on my ass on the couch all week to keep my foot up which means...video games ha Knocked out Horizon so I've been focusing on this game and have made some nice progress. I'm approaching mid summer despite consuming every hour of the day each day. I'm going to either have to make some compromises on what I spend my time on or use food that slows down time haha Well, I suppose once you make enough of your own money you don't need to do part time jobs anymore and that would free up a ton of time. Although they help bring up links and also affection with whomever you perform the job for so it's pretty beneficial.

Anyway, I finally realized the way to upgrade the barn and coop was via farm circles...good grief I feel dumb for taking so long to figure out how to upgrade it. I was wondering what was going on with all the added animals at the shop when I couldn't' add any more to my small barn :p So I'm about to upgrade at least the barn and get more animals in there which means even more of a time and energy sink. I've already incorporated eating a meal daily now to regain energy since growing more crops at once. I have three different types of trees going and a bunch of tomatoes plus four watermelons going at the moment.

I'm sure it's on fogu already but I also realized that if you don't pick stuff that regrows like tomatoes right away, more grow before you need to pick them. I figured this out because there were still multiple white buds I could see when I had a few tomatoes grown. Anyway, for those that don't know, you keep watering/fertilizing the crop until it won't let you stating it's ripe at which point you'll get your maximum value from that crop.

I put a greater focus on bachelorette events and have now seen the two friendship events for Lisette and the twins plus both of Lisette's first two love events. I already have the reqs for the twin's first love event so I'll be doing this in-game week. I'm hoping to see more of Siluka's personality in her love events. I'm leaning between her and Lisette right now since Illuka has an awful personality. The newer one that works in the tea house at the third town made me laugh, a walking anime trope.

I was finally able to upgrade my hammer's effectiveness once so I can use all but one of the mine nodes in Westown now and I got Westown's rank to C just before bed last night so looking forward to checking out what's new in the shops. I got Lulloloko to D rank too solely off of doing part time jobs for them haha Only thing I shipped to them was the milk to complete the E grade. You guys were right about the Spring Crop Festival, easy win at beginner level. I'm assuming I should easily win the animal festival coming up as my animals are just hitting creating 5* milk and eggs so presumably I should have my cow at a decent heart level. That said, I give them treats that up the heart value so I shouldn't assume too much. I did start using the spicy fodder at one point to enhance my cow's coat though. I'm ready for a different type of treat for them...maybe I just unlocked one for hitting rank C. Unfortunately, I'll likely have to forgo the cooking competition since I haven't cooked at all yet.

Is there a gift Siluka loves in the wild? Lisette and Illuka both have particular flowers that grow in the wild they love so they are easy but Siluka just likes any fruit or flower that's grown I've presented to her. I read she loves watermelon which I'm growing right now but I'd prefer not to have to give her that everyday as I'm still at the early stages of making money. No flax seed like technique to exploit, drats! I look at how much a house upgrade costs and it makes me feel poor ;p

macklelol

For Siluka the easiest gifts are watermelon and tree fruit (which you obviously don't have access to just yet). Money making is kinda slow early on, but it'll really ramp up once you have animals that can produce 10+ byproducts or you have enough gems to start selling off the extras you get.

I wouldn't skip the cooking competition, it'll be easy to win with simple stuff. Just grab the pudding or hot milk recipes from Brad's restaurant and enter with that.

Thanks to my excellent timing, I got to see the credits twice in a row (first one for getting married and the second for finishing all the farming tips). Wasn't really cool having 2 days skipped in a row for it, but at least it doesn't affect your crops or animals at all.

I have those recipes but would I win if I haven't leveled my cooking skill at all? It said there's no beginner level. Maybe the five star ingredients will be enough

macklelol

I have those recipes but would I win if I haven't leveled my cooking skill at all? It said there's no beginner level. Maybe the five star ingredients will be enough

There's a beginner level for the cooking competition. 5* stuff is more than enough to beat the beginner and veteran level competitions. Dunno about Expert since I haven't tried that yet.

Just finished Farming Tips 3. I love this game and I want to keep playing it so bad.

But. There's always a but, right?

I keep running into issues. Some are small and don't bother me too much. There's are a few misspellings and doubled-up dialogue in events and stuff like that. No sweat, everybody makes mistakes. There's some bad/incomplete information here and there which makes achieving several game goals more of a challenge than they need to be. I can work around that. But there are gameplay failures in several areas still (bugs, glitches, potential game freezes, etcetera), and the more of these I run into, the less enthusiastic I am about continuing on to Year 2 to S Rank all the things.

Anybody else feeling the same way?

macklelol

I haven't experienced too many bugs. Worst that happened to me was the game crashing when going to sleep to start the next day. There's some small stuff like the game displaying the wrong portrait when talking to people but that doesn't come up that much.

I want to amend previous statements re: festivals. While the rotating audience in competitions is nice, I later found out every town basically has the same set of festivals, just on different months. So while I was initially impressed by the "go ask for donation for the dance preparations" event for Westown, it turned out that Tsuyukusa and Lulukoko both have the exact same festival, right down to making you go ask for donations. That sort of, uh, put a damper on things.

Also I managed to set it up so I had to sit through one of those "thanks for gathering materials/money/whatever for this public works project, now we're gonna get the whole town out to help build it this morning" events every morning for three days in a row, and that'll wear you down.

Kirie

Unfortunately those bugs that are showing up were persistent in the Japanese version, and it seems like Marv didn't fix them :/ Hopefully when XSEED releases those DLCs maybe we can get a few fixes. Still really sucks though.

I'm on year 2 and haven't ran into a single bug so far. I feel pretty lucky >_> Finished the farming tips, married to Ludus and all my towns are almost rank A. I'm at around 70 hours played.

I did pretty good avoiding any real roadblocks in my first year, but I hit a major wall at the beginning of year 2 where all the town ranks were locked up and it basically took me most of a season to progress (
first two weeks were spent growing beans for a rank quest in tsuyukusa so i could unlock chili peppers, then the next week or so was spent growing the peppers for lulukoko's rank up quest
. But I did it, I saw the credits roll and I have
the ridiculously large "greenhouse"
and I have to figure out a way to redesign my farm so it flows better.

It looks like it's gonna be easier for me to sit down and grind Lulukoko up to the its next rank so I
can buy coconuts for the Winery
because otherwise it's going to take me, like to rank Westown up.

Knock on wood but I haven't had any bugs yet. I always come up with questions while playing and then forget them by the time I'm back on GAF haha well a few that I can recall:

1. What does the old clay idol do?

2. Can I go ahead and upgrade more tools right away or is there something more important I'll need those specific gems for? Particularly want to upgrade the range on the watering can

3. When/how do coconut seeds become available? Rank B or higher for Lululoko?

4. When does the buffalo become available?

I'm in fall now and managed to recently get Tsukyuka up a level so I have sweet potatos growing. I have Lulu at C and West town is getting close to being ready to go to B though I don't know what the reqs will be when I hit the cap for C yet. I got a Cocoa tree going since I think I saw somewhere that you'll need that. I just realized I've been holding off on completing the Farming Tip because I don't want to waste a barn spot on a second cow but I could buy one and then immediately sell it to free the spot up. Once I get another farm area unlocked I can see about re-arranging things to fit more barns. I've now seen Lisette and both of the twin's light green heart love events so I suppose I need to make a decision here... Is there even a point to gifting anymore if you're not going to offer a ring? I notice the color isn't changing. Oh, I was also curious if any of you lost the beverage festival? I'm wondering if I won because I did a good job picking out my team/their ingredients or if you're pretty much set to win no matter what as long as you don't choose really weird stuff. Considering I was using the free tea leaves that Megan provided, it wasn't due to my own ingredient being strong.

2. Can I go ahead and upgrade more tools right away or is there something more important I'll need those specific gems for? Particularly want to upgrade the range on the watering can

Go ahead, no gems are irreplaceable, and the upgraded range on a watering can will make your life much easier.

3. When/how do coconut seeds become available? Rank B or higher for Lululoko?

Coconut seeds are Rank B Lulukoko OR ship 200 tree fruit to Lulukoko. I think they also start selling coconuts directly at Rank A? Either way the thing you need coconuts for is basically got me stuck for another year, at least.

4. When does the buffalo become available?

Buffalo is Westown Rank B.

Make sure you save 20 sweet potatoes.

Go ahead, no gems are irreplaceable, and the upgraded range on a watering can will make your life much easier.

Coconut seeds are Rank B Lulukoko OR ship 200 tree fruit to Lulukoko. I think they also start selling coconuts directly at Rank A? Either way the thing you need coconuts for is basically got me stuck for another year, at least.

Buffalo is Westown Rank B.

Make sure you save 20 sweet potatoes.
Great, just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be a req soon, thanks!

Cool, I'll plant two of them when I unlock them to prepare for whatever that is.

Sweet, I'll have my buffalo soon then. I'm growing 10 plots of sweet potato right now so I'll be ready for that req!

Refyref

So I had some Spring crops still growing when Summer came, and they all wilted. I assume that I need to use the sickle to remove them (and so says the in-game guide), but when I use it, it just shows a weird symbol all over the field. Do I need to upgrade its effectiveness to get rid of them, or am I doing something wrong?

So I had some Spring crops still growing when Summer came, and they all wilted. I assume that I need to use the sickle to remove them (and so says the in-game guide), but when I use it, it just shows a weird symbol all over the field. Do I need to upgrade its effectiveness to get rid of them, or am I doing something wrong?
Either hold the button down until the plant vanishes or use the Happy Fun Time Work Bench or whatever it is called to remove and replace the field. It'll have to be hoed again in the latter scenario but it works out better for me as I prioritized upgrading the hoe over the sickle once the cellars unlocked. Upgrading sickle effectiveness would make it faster too.

Still playing, just not as much. Keep running into a ton of little things that make the game less appealing both on my own and by lurking on various forums. There seems to be an awful lot of code poking through in dialogue boxes and some festival crashing that I've managed to avoid so far. Knock on wood.

I've been playing in bursts. I'll go some days without playing but then do a session where I knock out a number of in-game days. I'm in late Winter I believe so almost done with Year 1. I should probably focus more on the farm tips so I can unlock the basement sooner than later. The hold up at the moment is I need more Iron for the dairy maker. I think you can buy it but I've mined enough that I need less than 10 now so might just keep playing naturally until I get it for myself. I'm going to have to finally do something with the west part of the farm to fit the makers in I imagine.

I've been playing with balancing my crop's stats more and trying out different fodder and treats for my animals to boost their product stats too. I really dig the implementation of increasing an animal's output so dramatically as it allows us to only bother with one of each animal. A lot less work! I've also noted that there's no downside to leaving them inside all the time. If you do all the little affection actions the won't build up stress so no reason to bother taking them outside. I've been sitting stagnant with a bunch of the girls at green flower...I really should just make a choice. I wish there was a candidate as good as Iris from the last game. I've been triggering friend events with all the different villagers like crazy though so that's nice.

Is there a reason to bother upgrading the hammer's effectiveness past where it can mine all the nodes in Westown? pretty sure the basement one takes the same level as the highest Westown node so is the only reason for the really large stone in the farm? That's so rare it wouldn't be worth upgrading the hammer more. Also, would upgrading the effectiveness of the watering can make it so one watering is equivalent to two for a day? If so, now much do you have to upgrade it to hit that point? Thus far I've only bothered upgrading the hammer's effectiveness and the watering can's range and capacity. Besides making tools lighter, not sure what else would really be worth it besides possibly the axe's effectiveness.

It feels like my hoarding is out of control haha I should probably look up what I really need to bother keeping. I think I've hoarded far too much milk and eggs in particular...

I got all the Mario suits, too bad they only last for two hours, pretty pointless unless you just like your character in one of those outfits but still neat to see in the game nonetheless.

I'm interested in seeing what unlocks in year 2 (not counting town link upgrades).

The final mining point has the same haul as the last one in town, but there are some stones you can only get with a max effectiveness hammer (well, max effectiveness + wait three days).

Top Bottom