• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| Don't let your farming dreams be memes.

The final mining point has the same haul as the last one in town, but there are some stones you can only get with a max effectiveness hammer (well, max effectiveness + wait three days).

I was able to smash the ones on the main farm by spreading it across a couple days or so haha Maybe stones in later portions of the farm require higher but sounds like this can be low on the priority list. Was there anything you found useful to upgrade besides what I noted in my last post? Seems like the majority of the upgrades aren't worth doing.

Oh when I said "stones" I meant "stuff from the mining point" (because one such item is a Philosopher's Stone - I'm pretty sure you can only get it if you have max effectiveness hammer and have let the mine point recharge for three days).

Upgrading the watering can makes you water faster. It makes a pretty noticeable difference.

Leeness

Glad other people are still playing. I haven't made much progress since finishing the Farming Tips 3, been putting my 3DS down during the week and playing on weekends

I've been pretty busy and still haven't made it out of Spring 1, but I want to play more :( Hard to keep up at all during the week and even weekends right now.

Oh when I said "stones" I meant "stuff from the mining point" (because one such item is a Philosopher's Stone - I'm pretty sure you can only get it if you have max effectiveness hammer and have let the mine point recharge for three days).

Upgrading the watering can makes you water faster. It makes a pretty noticeable difference.
Ah! ok, thanks! Hmm that stat might be worthwhile on the can then.
Glad other people are still playing. I haven't made much progress since finishing the Farming Tips 3, been putting my 3DS down during the week and playing on weekends.

How are you liking it so far?
I don't recall, which gender is your character? I want feedback on what the bachelorettes love events past green are like but most people I've seen online have been ladies going for the bachelors haha
I've been pretty busy and still haven't made it out of Spring 1, but I want to play more :( Hard to keep up at all during the week and even weekends right now.
I hope it's at least been a good busy! Maybe by the time you get more into it I'll have made good progress and have useful stuff to give you haha Hope all is well with you. Also, did you get far into Horizon? How are you liking it?

Leeness

I hope it's at least been a good busy! Maybe by the time you get more into it I'll have made good progress and have useful stuff to give you haha Hope all is well with you. Also, did you get far into Horizon? How are you liking it?

Just busy :( Haha. Oh well... All is well though! I got to Meridian in Horizon, so way more to go on that still!

I don't recall, which gender is your character? I want feedback on what the bachelorettes love events past green are like but most people I've seen online have been ladies going for the bachelors haha

I'm playing as a guy, but dating and marriage is one of the things I haven't done yet. I am trying to see all the NPC events and all the pre-commitment events still. My overall impression from reading stuff is that most of the characters and events were done well, so you should have a good storyline to read regardless of your choice. Iluka is supposed to be the most disappointing candidate unless you're really into her tsundere/pranking schtick. Kasumi seems to be a love her/hate her character based on the man-hating thing, but I haven't gotten far with her due to schedule. Lisette and Komari seem like the safe choices or maybe Siluka, but I haven't seen all of their events either.

I like Lisette the most just because she's a romantic, but I also hate getting with the presumed default option without at least giving the other gals a chance. Seriously considering waiting for the DLC since I have always dug the pink-haired one in previous games. Popuri/Nina/Lyla/Luna/etcetera.

Glad other people are still playing. I haven't made much progress since finishing the Farming Tips 3, been putting my 3DS down during the week and playing on weekends.

How are you liking it so far?
Haven't got the cart in the mail yet. How does this compare to Harvest Moon. Haven't played either before. Jusy randomly filled my queue.

Haven't got the cart in the mail yet. How does this compare to Harvest Moon. Haven't played either before. Jusy randomly filled my queue.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, so I'm just gonna assume not. The Story of Seasons aka 牧場物語 series used to be called Harvest Moon in the West, the development company (Marvelous) recently decided to run the localization through their NA branch (XSEED) instead of the previous localization company (Natsume), and since Natsume owns the Harvest Moon brand, XSEED had to change the name.

It compares favorably, in other words.

Natsume is doing their own thing with the Harvest Moon name, they have two 3DS games and a mobile one, and it looks like they might stick to mobile apps in the future if they can't make the 3DS to Switch transition happen. They're making some kiddie Harvest Moon app next anyway.

Also a ton of "inspired by" games have popped up recently. The two most prominent and released ones are probably Stardew Valley and Slime Rancher, but there are more coming. Just this week I've been bombarded with info about three different Kickstarters, Ooblets, and Re:Legend.

I don't have the time or attention span to seriously play Trio of Towns the way I want to, so no idea how I'm going to try all these other games out. Sad, tired farmer.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, so I'm just gonna assume not. The Story of Seasons aka 牧場物語 series used to be called Harvest Moon in the West, the development company (Marvelous) recently decided to run the localization through their NA branch (XSEED) instead of the previous localization company (Natsume), and since Natsume owns the Harvest Moon brand, XSEED had to change the name.

It compares favorably, in other words.

Natsume is doing their own thing with the Harvest Moon name, they have two 3DS games and a mobile one, and it looks like they might stick to mobile apps in the future if they can't make the 3DS to Switch transition happen. They're making some kiddie Harvest Moon app next anyway.

Also a ton of "inspired by" games have popped up recently. The two most prominent and released ones are probably Stardew Valley and Slime Rancher, but there are more coming. Just this week I've been bombarded with info about three different Kickstarters, Ooblets, and Re:Legend.

I don't have the time or attention span to seriously play Trio of Towns the way I want to, so no idea how I'm going to try all these other games out. Sad, tired farmer.
Thanks! I wasn't trolling.

Thanks! I wasn't trolling.
Sorry. To be honest, I can't tell anymore because fandom went off the deep end when the big Natsume split happened. As fandoms are wont to do.

At least you know if you like this kind of game that there's a lot more out there! That didn't always used to be the case.

Just busy :( Haha. Oh well... All is well though! I got to Meridian in Horizon, so way more to go on that still!
Oh, well keep kicking ass, girl! Things will settle down eventually :) Glad all is well and yes, there's plenty more Horizon left for you to enjoy haha Enjoy!
I'm playing as a guy, but dating and marriage is one of the things I haven't done yet. I am trying to see all the NPC events and all the pre-commitment events still. My overall impression from reading stuff is that most of the characters and events were done well, so you should have a good storyline to read regardless of your choice. Iluka is supposed to be the most disappointing candidate unless you're really into her tsundere/pranking schtick. Kasumi seems to be a love her/hate her character based on the man-hating thing, but I haven't gotten far with her due to schedule. Lisette and Komari seem like the safe choices or maybe Siluka, but I haven't seen all of their events either.

I like Lisette the most just because she's a romantic, but I also hate getting with the presumed default option without at least giving the other gals a chance. Seriously considering waiting for the DLC since I have always dug the pink-haired one in previous games. Popuri/Nina/Lyla/Luna/etcetera.
Oh nice, we can compare if we choose different candidates. Tsundere personality turns me off so I'm not a fan of Illuka at all. Kasumi is too emotionally damaged with her man hate lol I'll befriend her and try to improve her take on men though! I've been weighing between Lisette and Siluka pretty much the whole game. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Lisette because I'd be a sucker for her personality type in real life, I like sweet and shy types and am a bit of a hopeless romantic myself. Siluka is a kind soul and her smile is adorable...sigh. Actually, the latter's propensity for laziness and napping all the time helps my decision process. Siluka is the cutest but personality wins for a serious relationship let alone marriage and why am I taking this so seriously??? Komari is a sweetheart that's really supportive but she's a bit eccentric and anime-ish for me haha She'll be an awesome friend though. I think the only reason I have jumped at Lisette is that I agree with you, she's the safe default-esque option and I wondered if the writing for her would be plain jane later one but I think they added a little extra depth with the trials of running the business herself which I like.

+1 for Popuri! HM64 for life! I should replay that game one day, my favorite in the series and what started it all for me.

S Rank with two towns now, thanks to this weekend's play session. I put off befriending people for a little too long. Aside fom the later unlocked guys it was mostly there from the Blessed L Greeting and doing Festival stuff. The only problem is now I'm getting romance-blocked by every NPC in the game triggering events every time I step foot through a map transition. Making it hard to evaluate the ladies further.

I might have to start playing during the week again and using a guide more since taking week long breaks and then triggering all these villager events during the weekends really made me lose the plot on the romantic stuff I have seen!

I have started seeing Inari's events though because I guess the Foxes finally like me and I really wish they were a more complete candidate since the events are kind of sweet.

How is the localization? Is it as spotty as A New Beginning's was?
There are some minor typographical issues. A few bits of doubled up dialogue in isolated events. Nowhere near as spotty as A New Beginning though. Natsume did A New Beginning, XSEED has done the two sequel games, Story of Seasons and Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. How do you feel about XSEED localization jobs? If you like them you'll probably be cool with the scripts.

Cindro

Yo, this game rules. It doesn't rule hard enough to dethrone New Leaf or Rune Factory 4 as the best life sims on the system, but it comes in at number three quite easily.*

I'm about to finish up my first summer. The daily grind is real, no doubt about it, but that's what these games are built around! The townsfolk are charming, the villages themselves provide a nice aesthetic variety, and the progression/upgrade hooks are doled out at a pace that keeps fueling my dirty playing habit.

I found the unskippable info dumps at the beginning of the game to be excruciating, but it's been smooth sailing ever since. Glad I picked it up, and I'm downright salivating at the thought of life sims on the Switch. Bring on Stardew!

*Excluding Fantasy Life, which I have not played

I went to Best Buy and found a new copy of the game that has the capybara plushie bundled with it.

I'm so tempted....I want that plushie...

*Excluding Fantasy Life, which I have not played

Fantasy Life is barely a Life Sim, I find it hard to slot it into a genre. My best attempt is something like "Optionally Online MMORPG Lite". Which requires you to know what an MMO is. Another possible description is "Action RPG with gathering and crafting elements." It is on the easier side as well, not as challenging as a Rune Factory or Zelda game until you get into the DLC content. I really enjoy Fantasy Life and think it is a fantastic game, but it just isn't in the running for a "Best Life Sim" award. Really too bad they didn't include the Life Classes that would make it qualify for one.

I went to Best Buy and found a new copy of the game that has the capybara plushie bundled with it.

I'm so tempted....I want that plushie...

Not to push you over a fence or anything, but it is an incredibly cute and soft plushie. ;)

I'm making some progress with Iluka in my own file. Not by design, she keeps ambushing me. I'm really not enjoying her events but they do have some small redeeming qualities. At least she isn't an excessively violent tsundere, which is probably my least favorite anime girl trope. I really want to see more stuff for Lisette and Komari who are my two favorites so far, but it seems the events I'm waiting for trigger late at night and I keep getting hit with someone else's event during the eligible days.

krl87

Neo Member
anyone still playing? i picked it up a while ago - but only started playing this week.

i have to say, it's pretty amazing - as someone who has played basically every HM and the last SoS, it's really fantastic to see them add so much complexity. i just wish i could slow the time down!

anyone still playing? i picked it up a while ago - but only started playing this week.

i have to say, it's pretty amazing - as someone who has played basically every HM and the last SoS, it's really fantastic to see them add so much complexity. i just wish i could slow the time down!

I burnt out and decided to go ahead and take a long break while waiting for the DLC to drop. They've been teasing it on social media recently, so shouldn't be too long now.

I agree, really enjoyed the different little systems presented in this entry. The crop system could use some minor tweaking in my opinion, but the livestock one is pretty close to perfect. I hope they bring that back because I never want to be forced to have two of every animal ever again.

There is a food buff that slows the time down. I was eating a mix of gratin and anpan for that effect. Not sure what else gives it but they're all probably listed on the fogu guide by now.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

adroit

I'm addicted. I'm in Fall of the third year. Just started going steady with Kasumi (teacher).

There are several cooking recipes which require non-plus animal ingredients. I don't know if this is sadistically intentional or an oversight. But not nearly as bad as it was in the previous game where "hot- and cold-running animals" were mandatory (ugh).

As a cat person (who has never actually owned a cat IRL), I love that cats can now herd farm animals. But capybaras are the bomb (as kids used to say decades ago). If you are close enough to one, it'll stroll over and plop down on its side for a belly rub. Life-threateningly adorable.

Thoraxes

I still put in a day a day basically. I have this little 15 minute chunk of time before going into work that I always cram in a day of this game, and it's been fun that way.

Just bought this game! Came with a little capybara plushie too!

Any tips or secrets for a guy just starting out? Or is there a site for that?

krl87

Neo Member
I burnt out and decided to go ahead and take a long break while waiting for the DLC to drop. They've been teasing it on social media recently, so shouldn't be too long now.

I agree, really enjoyed the different little systems presented in this entry. The crop system could use some minor tweaking in my opinion, but the livestock one is pretty close to perfect. I hope they bring that back because I never want to be forced to have two of every animal ever again.

There is a food buff that slows the time down. I was eating a mix of gratin and anpan for that effect. Not sure what else gives it but they're all probably listed on the fogu guide by now.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

I hope I don't get too burnt out... I definitely did for SoS (I felt that the requirements to unlock the vendors we're pretty ridiculous and unattainable). Only thing that bothers me is the
other parts of your farm,
I wish the land just extended and you didn't have to walk to other areas

I'm almost done my first year, going steady with Ludus <3

I still put in a day a day basically. I have this little 15 minute chunk of time before going into work that I always cram in a day of this game, and it's been fun that way.

Haha shit, I'm unemployed right now so I basically play everyday.. it's so bad.

Just bought this game! Came with a little capybara plushie too!

Any tips or secrets for a guy just starting out? Or is there a site for that?

I use fogu.com, but honestly - i would play around with it on your own for a while.

I think I'm finally done with this game. Winter of year 2, I have most of my crops at max stars, and I've triggered all three credits sequences. I haven't gotten Westown up to rank S, but I need like a dozen forage items to build something and the S rank rewards are largely nothing, so it's like, eh.

Overall there were a lot of great improvements to the formula in this one, but I feel like they could have worked the different stats in better. Like, an animal's coat should be the basis for their wool/fur level, and most crops having four different stats meant storage was kind of a nightmare.

Brown alpacas and grey angora rabbits are still super lame as a concept, especially in this game where the big barns take up so much space.

The various makers feel extraneous, sure you can make your own feed but it's way easier to just buy it, and the Dairy Maker products only seem to be, like, 200G increase, and let me tell you that is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

adroit

the Dairy Maker products only seem to be, like, 200G increase, and let me tell you that is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Gold Butter and Gold Yogurt (at top quality and brand) are pretty profitable. Gold Butter sells for almost 50,000 each. But they are a lot of work to make in bulk (especially Gold Butter, which requires almonds and cacao and a lot of time to cram it all into the dairy maker in batches of 10).

adroit

How often do "find plants" pets find anything? My "find plants" dog has found plants a grand total of ONCE since I bought him. No stress, always has food, throw the dog bone 5 times every day. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing to "release" the animal to go find stuff? So far this animal seems like a complete waste of time compared to the fantastic herding pets.

How often do "find plants" pets find anything? My "find plants" dog has found plants a grand total of ONCE since I bought him. No stress, always has food, throw the dog bone 5 times every day. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing to "release" the animal to go find stuff? So far this animal seems like a complete waste of time compared to the fantastic herding pets.

If they're like the fishing pets an orange ! should appear over their heads at around 17:00 every day or so.

Just talk to them at night. Around 7pm if I recall correctly. They don't collect stuff too frequently at lower levels of affection, but it is practically every day for a higher level affection pet.

maxcriden

I'm addicted. I'm in Fall of the third year. Just started going steady with Kasumi (teacher).

There are several cooking recipes which require non-plus animal ingredients. I don't know if this is sadistically intentional or an oversight. But not nearly as bad as it was in the previous game where "hot- and cold-running animals" were mandatory (ugh).

As a cat person (who has never actually owned a cat IRL), I love that cats can now herd farm animals. But capybaras are the bomb (as kids used to say decades ago). If you are close enough to one, it'll stroll over and plop down on its side for a belly rub. Life-threateningly adorable.

What's this about cooking animals? :/ Haven't played a new HM in over a decade but didn't remember anything like that.

I wanna see a video of the Capybara....

adroit

What's this about cooking animals? :/ Haven't played a new HM in over a decade but didn't remember anything like that.

The only animal you cook is fish (poor fish). I was talking about eggs. There are a few recipes which require non-golden quail eggs. There are also some clothing recipes which require non-plus wool of various kinds.

adroit

If they're like the fishing pets an orange ! should appear over their heads at around 17:00 every day or so.

Just talk to them at night. Around 7pm if I recall correctly. They don't collect stuff too frequently at lower levels of affection, but it is practically every day for a higher level affection pet.

Thank you both. I never visit them in the evening so I wonder if they lose their stuff overnight. I was only visiting in the morning. Ooops.

maxcriden

The only animal you cook is fish (poor fish). I was talking about eggs. There are a few recipes which require non-golden quail eggs. There are also some clothing recipes which require non-plus wool of various kinds.

Thanks for the clarification! Wait, what does "hot- and cold-running animals" mean then?

Thanks for the clarification! Wait, what does "hot- and cold-running animals" mean then?

In previous games, animals could only produce one of two types of byproduct: regular or plus. So to really delve into crafting and building stuff, you'd need to keep two of each type of animal around, one that produces normal quality byproducts and one that produces plus quality byproducts, because, say, Rabbit Fur+ couldn't be substituted for regular Rabbit Fur. This has thankfully been (mostly) eliminated in Trio of Towns.

The DLC is coming soon, and I hope everyone enjoys it.

However, I’m leaving NeoGAF permanently for what should be obviously reasons.

If anyone wants to take over/use my assets/make a new OT, be my guest.

Bye.

Top Bottom