• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Strange Wii U like 360? controller found at Valve / Update: Probably not (Post 35)

Apr 27, 2011
A Reddit user pointed out what appears to be an Xbox 360 controller with a built in screen in a photograph taken at Valve.

Is Microsoft going down the same path as Nintendo next gen? Just Valve testing ideas? What are your thoughts?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
LOL

Not surprising, as this was rumored months ago.

Alex

Jun 7, 2004
My main want from Valve, hardware end, would be them making a good PC alternative to the makeshift 360 + chatpad drivers, this would be great.

Derrick01

Banned
May 9, 2011
Hopefully it's an overly elaborate screenshot taking button+review screen combo. How am I supposed to take quick pictures of cool things when I have a 360 pad plugged in?

Jun 18, 2010
Also notice the whiteboard in the top right corner.

Hopefully it's an overly elaborate screenshot taking button+review screen combo. How am I supposed to take quick pictures of cool things when I have a 360 pad plugged in?

RT plus home button takes pictures in big screen mode.

grimshawish

Banned
Dec 30, 2011
To be fair, theres also a bass with a keyboard :D
Looking at that again - its a big hardware room.

I do think its maybe to display info during development though. But...could be an early prototype of something. (also could be Valve's way of playing with WiiU ideas ofc)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Which recent Valve video is this?

And is that Jeri Ellsworth on the left?

iceatcs

Jul 9, 2007
London
Won't surprise if it came from MS. They always "me too".

But I will be very surprise if it is for Valve, it is so unValve.

LQX

Dec 18, 2008
And once again another company will take an obvious idea MS should have come up with. Looks like 360 controller with the chatpad attachment but replaced with a LCD.

BTW, for those saying it looks uncomfortable, I'm betting it wont if is a take on the 360 controller with chatpad which surprisingly feels great to hold.

Apr 27, 2011
Which recent Valve video is this?

And is that Jeri Ellsworth on the left?

I was assuming it was from the new Bigscreen trailer, but I guess it's just a random photo. That makes a bit more sense. Valve wouldn't have let that slip in a official video.

Alex

Jun 7, 2004
I think it's quite likely just a random hardware experiment by Valve.

Possibly, but with them wanting to move heavier into living rooms it would make sense to have a controller with a touchpad or screen on it.

Have been using Touchpad on my iPad for a good while for this very reason, as well as a logitech board with a touch pad.

maquiladora

Jun 7, 2011
That looks like Jeri Ellsworth's workshop. I see her in the background and there is her Commodore 64 guitar in the shot.

She likes to have fun creating tech mashup stuff like Ben Heck, and I guess that Xbox controller with a screen is one of her creations. Nothing more than that.

1-D_FTW

Jun 14, 2006
Can't wait for a whole portion of gaf to become hypocrites.

Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on this. I don't think it is Valve's controller. But even if it were: there's two key differences. Any controller they do release will have biofeedback on it. This you can bank on. And secondly: people rip the WiiU controller because it's a terrible gimmick to market your console around. It is a poor man's ipad. And casuals aren't going to buy a console for it. This, in this theorhetical world, would simply be supplementing things. It wouldn't be a gimped system that was relying on some outdated tablet to try and sell a system to people who already owned ipads.

DragonSworne

Banned
Aug 23, 2011
That looks like Jeri Ellsworth's workshop. I see her in the background and there is her Commodore 64 guitar in the shot.

She likes to have fun creating tech mashup stuff like Ben Heck, and I guess that Xbox controller with a screen is one of her creations. Nothing more than that.

I want to work at Valve

-Pyromaniac-

May 10, 2009

and that closes the lid on the great controller mystery of 2012.

megarockexe

Aug 21, 2011
Didn't the patents that turned up look like this, sans the screen? The color is obviously due to being a dev unit. At least I assume.

Alex

Jun 7, 2004
I want to hear why anyone would be a hypocrite. I want to hear about how Nintendo invented touch screens and pads and LCD displays on input hardware and tablet integration.

So lets hear something good, not just passive aggressive lip biting.