• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN | Final Trailer

How's the performance ? The previous demo ran pretty poor across the board.
choppy, even in performance mode, especially if you turn off motion blur. I hadn't really followed the game until they released the demo yesterday, so i can't speak to the relative performance between this and the beta. But hot damn, this is not great.

Some of the prerendered cutscenes are atrocious, like they were recorded at 480p.

Played a bit. Combat seems smooth. It's way too fast for my liking. Modern Final Fantasy aesthetics just don't do it for me either. This is going to be a pass from me.
I was wondering about the cutscenes as well as they are usually one of my favorite parts of FF games. But these things, as you mentioned, looking like 480p reso and it just kills the presentation.

I thought the demos of this game were extremely disappointing. Graphically the game is sub-par, like something from the PS3 era, the performance was atrocious (in spite of the weak graphics) and both sucked any enjoyment out of the gameplay I might have otherwise had. My overall impression from the demos was that it is a very mediocre game. Quite why the developers released demos of the game in that state is beyond me as it has only damaged my perception of the final product and put me off ever buying it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought the demos of this game were extremely disappointing. Graphically the game is sub-par, like something from the PS3 era, the performance was atrocious (in spite of the weak graphics) and both sucked any enjoyment out of the gameplay I might have otherwise had. My overall impression from the demos was that it is a very mediocre game. Quite why the developers released demos of the game in that state is beyond me as it has only damaged my perception of the final product and put me off ever buying it.

Performance on XSX in Performance mode was good actually. Getting that version because I liked the gameplay.

thatJohann

Played the demo on both PS5 and XSX. Def runs better on XSX but might be because of VRR. I noticed slowdowns on performance mode on ps5 not present on XSX. Again, probably VRR magic. Sony wtf are you waiting for

I love how he gives this Sarah...

uB380vd.jpg

A Gwyneth Paltrow Vagina Egg:

jadeegg_highlighted_facebook.jpg

Looks campy-good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Played the demo on both PS5 and XSX. Def runs better on XSX but might be because of VRR. I noticed slowdowns on performance mode on ps5 not present on XSX. Again, probably VRR magic. Sony wtf are you waiting for

No VRR here and yea the XSX version definitely was smoother.

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No VRR here and yea the XSX version definitely was smoother.

That's encouraging, the first demo ran like borderline dog poop on the SX.

If they've turned the performance around that's good.

Still not a day 1 for me, just the concept and what we've seen of the game looks unappealing to me.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Played the demo on Series X...

This has some of the worst IQ I've seen in a game recently. The performance mode has some pretty extreme aliasing and a screen door like effect smothering everything, presumably resulting from whatever reconstruction method they're using. I assumed the resolution mode would fix this, but it's almost as bad, albeit at half the frame-rate.

Performance isn't awful, it's pretty flawless with VRR but I can see from the FreeSync debug menu that's it's frequently dropping to the low 50's (and occasionally further) when you let off a special.

Odd.

adamsapple

Ok, you know what. I'm gonna give massive props to the developers.

Just tried the demo myself, either the VRR is making it feel smooth or the developers really did iron out the performance since the first demo, but it ran pretty damn good in Performance mode.

It *LOOKS* like a PS3 game .. that is undeniable. The aliasing is sharp enough to cut a piece of steak on.

But at least the performance seems to be really good.

Go_Ly_Dow

So the asset quality, like the models, textures and geometry aren't AAA, but they're fairly decent. So why is the resolution and aliasing such a mess. Surely in this day and age with the power available, the devs should be able to at least give this good image quality?

I hope they patch the shit outta this because I wanna buy the game, but won't get it until they sort the IQ out.

adamsapple

Did anyone notice a difference between Quality and Performance ?

I mean, beside the 30 FPS cap (which feels like it has bad frame pacing) I didn't notice any sharpness or increase in resolution much.

Fbh

What shitty ass engine are the using for this?

I get it's a lower budget game and the visuals aren't going to be amazing. But with these visuals it should at least run at like 4K and locked 60fps.

OsirisBlack

Banned
It’s 100% a Team Ninja game. The XSX version is good, don’t know what happened to the PS5 one.
Playing it on PS5 at the moment the frame rate mode is …. I dunno it feels weird and this is coming from someone that thinks frame rate mode ps5 elden ring is OK… not great but ok. Playing in quality for now but the game is still a bunch of fun.

adamsapple

This reminds me of marvel vs cap on infinite people complaining about the graphics and ignoring how fun the game is….

Well, it's unfortunate but the first thing you see when you start the demo after the intro video is the mediocre/low quality visuals, it starts off with a bad impression.

At this point I'm waiting for the reviews and more detailed impressions before making a purchasing decision on this.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I just don't understand the use of low resolution video for in-game cutscenes (CGI is high bitrate)
First the video quality could be much higher easily and second even the PS4 could spit out the cutscenes in real-time.
It doesn't make sense
Unless this is demo thing and they're saving download space (some demo's have done this recently where the demo had low resolution video but the retail version was HQ)
oh well it's shipped now.
Hopefully the game is fantastic and fun.

Mr.ODST

Wonder why there's no demo on PC. :/
Epic Store only

Side not looking past the graphics love the job system and find myself finding the best combos to combat certain areas etc, also the fact every zone is based off an area in each of the final fantasies is great, Preordered the Digital Deluxe because the DLC should be pretty good.

Last edited:

Kadve

I still don't really understand this games aesthetics. Its like someone wanted to parody games from ~2009 but its presented as if were supposed to take it seriously.

Kinda want it though as an equivalent of an Popcorn movie. Looks entertaining as hell.

Graphically the game is sub-par, like something from the PS3 era.

PS2 even at times. (DOC for comparison)

RpGPHOU.png
3-deadbitch1.jpg

Last edited:

Lupin25

There’s still dips with VRR smh lol, and the game is clearly in beta. Neither version is perfect.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

Yup, that was my impression from the demo, it reminded me of one of the many average hack and slash games from the ps3 era

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I still don't really understand this games aesthetics. Its like someone wanted to parody games from ~2009 but its presented as if were supposed to take it seriously.

Kinda want it though as an equivalent of an Popcorn movie. Looks entertaining as hell.

PS2 even at times. (DOC for comparison)

RpGPHOU.png
3-deadbitch1.jpg
That’s not even close. I respect that you are trying this hard though.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I was thinking it’s more like they went back in time to 1999 and consulted with MTV and Hot Topic to figure out how to make Final Fantasy appeal to 18-24 year old males.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Played this demo and really enjoyed it. Will pre order to play early next week!

Initial thoughts:
Talking to people in town - it’s real damn weird. But it keeps you from running all over the place looking for people.

Battle is fun: job switching, just defending, cancel and interrupts are awesome, and imo they made ff8’s magic system actually make sense in this game.

Tons of nods to FF stuff everywhere, love that fanboy crap!!!

I…do not understand what is happening with performance in this game. Typically I don’t pay much attention to that stuff, but in this game the constant resolution shifting and boca focus/filtering is rough.

I want to try it on Pc but will probably play on console on the off chance someone I know has it and wants to co-op.

anthony2690

Banned
Played an hour off the demo earlier, it's okay.

I think I might just grab it when it drops price, I think I'd rather do another playthrough off elden ring in all honesty.

Kadve

polycount is worlds apart from PS2.

The overall skin shading style is similar though because of how sparse or absent it is.

Some models are more in line with say, MGS4 or first half of 7th console generation.
Yea you're right. Maybe a bit more like the 13 era than late ps2.

1625567513_262105_1625567562_noticia_normal.jpg

Though i have a feeling that there are only so far you can take Nomuras models "graphically". They are kinda designed in a way where high amounts of details would look weird.

Top Bottom