• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin Trial - PS5 4K Gameplay (PURE CHAOS)

rubhen925

Didn't see any threads with gameplay being shown so here it is. The demo trial is finally live. If you guys didn't know Square uploaded a corrupt file at launch a couple days ago when it went live. No one could access it. Well today they released and update that launches the game. The total demo is around 40 mins. Depending on skill more or less. 3 weapon types in the trial I saw. Greatsword, Lance, and Hermit Club (Does magic moves). The game has a in depth tutorial right before starting so you can get accustomed to the combat.

There are two modes. Resolution and Performance. From what I have played both perform at 60FPS, it's just performance is somewhat more stable. There are small hitches and multiples stutters in resolution mode. There are goblins, pyro jacks, wolves, griffin, bats, and skeletons for enemies. Lastly you get to fight CHAOS! The dude in the trailer. And yes they say Chaos like 700 times lmao. This fight imo was solid. Chaos will punish you if you are a button spammer. For anyone who played Nioh and Nioh 2 you will feel at home. Wait and punish him for the best results.

There are 3 difficulty modes in the trial, Easy, Normal, and Hard. I tried Normal and will try hard tomorrow. But my gist is that the enemies all Hyper Armor through your attacks unless you use your lightbringer attack or something. L2 + O. This moves starts to stun enemies on impact. But yea. if there is more I will update. Enjoy taking down CHAOS everyone.

Full Demo Gameplay (Performance Mode):

Resolution Mode gameplay (It's the same. Just the menu & UI look crisper):

Chaos Boss Gameplay:

Last edited:

Fbh

The combat does look pretty fun, as expected from Team Ninja.
Hopefully they can polish the technical side. If it's going to look like a Ps3 game it should at least run at native 4K, locked 60fps with all the bells and whistles. There was some notorious aliasing in the video

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Why the backlash against this game other than the CHAOS meme? Yeah, it does not look top notch but combat seems fun enough.

Mr.ODST

The combat is great. And it has a job system with classic Final Fantasy jobs. In the demo you can unlock Warrior and Black Mage and swap between them mid-combat.

The game looks to be great. The most unwarranted mob outrage I can remember in a while.
You forgot Dragoon

Astral Dog

The combat is great. And it has a job system with classic Final Fantasy jobs. In the demo you can unlock Warrior and Black Mage and swap between them mid-combat.

The game looks to be great. The most unwarranted mob outrage I can remember in a while.
Its dumb because its just an spin off, if this was FFXVI i would undeestand the angry mob but they are crying over nothing, Square hired a solid action developer to make their new action game

blackjon24

i think it plays great as well but come on it had a very bad reveal. The writing seems to be terrible and the character design look uninspired (customization does help I’ll admit). They also messed up the demo releasing it broken.

They have a lot to prove but I don’t think people want to intentionally hate on a nioh style final fantasy game.

JeloSWE

Gameplay is solid but graphics is quite blurry, muddy and as some serious issues with aliasing, the dark regions are simply too black with no information at all, it's quite hard to make out enemies at times. At least they target 60fps in both modes, no silly 30 crap, it really should only be one, crisp, polished 60fps mode on release IMO.

I personally didn't like the amount of drops, there were just a silly amount of head bands, boots, armor etc, no wonder they have a short cut for auto equip items optimally, I stopped caring about the loot after 3 min of playing. The amount just cheapens the gear, not something to treasure.

Any how, If they can sort out the graphical issues it will definitely find a following. If it turns out to have an entertaining story it might even be worth playing.

I loved the demo. I didn't know it was Nioh-esq before I started playing it and was extremely pleased with the results. The magic system/use is GREAT!
Went from "meh" to "OH HELL YEAH".
I'm most excited to combine Souls-like combat with Final Fantasy's job system. Being a retelling of Final Fantasy 1 is also cool.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'm most excited to combine Souls-like combat with Final Fantasy's job system. Being a retelling of Final Fantasy 1 is also cool.
If you can control the classes of the other two party members (black belt, rmage, wmage, bmage, theif, fighter) that would be...

Kathryn Hahn Wanda Vision GIF by Vulture.com

Last edited:

Amiga

I personally didn't like the amount of drops, there were just a silly amount of head bands, boots, armor etc, no wonder they have a short cut for auto equip items optimally, I stopped caring about the loot after 3 min of playing. The amount just cheapens the gear, not something to treasure.

the extra is game currency like in Nioh. you keep what you like and use the extra to rank up weapons or dismantle them for materials or sell them for money.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Honestly, the demo was promising. Most of the complaints with the reveal have to do with the horrible dub and CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS, but I played the demo in Japanese and it was fine. Typical Japanese game writing, for better or worse.

The protag does look like a random douchebag, but you get drops to change his outfit almost immediately, so that's a plus.

This is definitely on my radar.

Zephir

There's also a hidden kyactus, his "red crystal instant-kill" was funny xD

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Have all SE's good art directors left the company or something?
Don't say this in an universe in which ff7r exist. That game is visually perfect 🙃

But this one looks horrible. There's time to do something about it and I hope they do it.

As for the gameplay, the potential is big.

Fbh

Why does it seem like Japanese don't care about visuals as much as Western devs?

A lot of Japanese games are more gameplay focused. This game looks hideous but the combat will probably still be better than most western RPG's with real time melee combat. Japanese games also often focus on making their games look good through strong art direction (not this one though lol).
They also generally don't have super high budgets, which means that if this sells 3 and half million units in a month it will probably be considered a success and not a failure like Tomb Raider.

Myths

The mid-combat switch reminds me of Lightning Returns except with definite and defined classic jobs.

Perhaps the final version will have some more complicated or combination of jobs?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
A lot of Japanese games are more gameplay focused. This game looks hideous but the combat will probably still be better than most western RPG's with real time melee combat. Japanese games also often focus on making their games look good through strong art direction (not this one though lol).
They also generally don't have super high budgets, which means that if this sells 3 and half million units in a month it will probably be considered a success and not a failure like Tomb Raider.

And this is why I gravitate towards Japanese games. I appreciate Red Dead 2 for how gorgeous it looks, but to be honest the input delay is horrendous and it plays like dogshit. I'd rather play a game like Ninja Gaiden Black with a terrible story that plays like a dream, then experience an amazing story through a game that is a chore to play.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dropping out of FFVII Remake on PS5 to try this demo is jarring as fuck, why does the game look like it's 720p?
Literally everything the game is doing FFVII does better and looks better & runs better, even the PS4 version looks better
Where's that thread about Resolution not mattering?
Play this fucking demo and tell me that shit.
When the tutorial loaded I was like "what the fuck is that!" I feel I need to press charges against Tecmo for the damage it's done to my eyes.
If they can fix the resolution it might be worth a look. But it's dark, jaggy and blurry as fuck.
Funny thing is I choose Favour Resolution.
They was definitely not favouring the Resolution 😂

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dropping out of FFVII Remake on PS5 to try this demo is jarring as fuck, why does the game look like it's 720p?
Literally everything the game is doing FFVII does better and looks better & runs better, even the PS4 version looks better
When the tutorial loaded I was like "what the fuck is that!" I feel I need to press charges against Tecmo for the damage it's done to my eyes.
If they can fix the resolution it might be worth a look. But it's dark, jaggy and blurry as fuck.
As E3 moves to a digital hybrid, I personally was hoping to see more demos for people at home of games that are a work in progress. Are journalists the only ones mature enough to evaluate a game in alpha and not just spend the entire preview criticizing resolution on an unfinished game?

Don't say this in an universe in which ff7r exist. That game is visually perfect 🙃

But this one looks horrible. There's time to do something about it and I hope they do it.

As for the gameplay, the potential is big.

I suppose the fact that this is by Team Ninja is the reason for the shitty art. Perhaps SE really had little to no oversight. Hope they change things up because at the moment this game looks like a real turkey.

JeloSWE

Then you should try the tutorial in favor frame rate, I'm permanently damaged from this. The game could have been named AntiAntialiasing.

Reactions: TGO

Astral Dog

Guys im getting hyped for this one, NINJA GAIDEN meets FINAL FANTASY is a cool idea for a spin off and an intriguing new direction for the series, because its not even a mainline game they can go nuts with the violence and stuff. i think Team Ninja will deliver a quality game although they need to work more on the graphics.

the developers all sound very passionated about this project, could turn into something special

From what I played, the game is definitely good. Maybe it will be very good. Looking forward to it. It plays like Nioh and FF7 which is a great combination. Visually, the game needs work and reminds me of a early gen PS4 game generously speaking, but the gameplay is excellent imo.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The combat does look pretty fun, as expected from Team Ninja.
Hopefully they can polish the technical side. If it's going to look like a Ps3 game it should at least run at native 4K, locked 60fps with all the bells and whistles. There was some notorious aliasing in the video
From the E3 videos it looked like it was made for Switch.

YukiOnna

The mid-combat switch reminds me of Lightning Returns except with definite and defined classic jobs.

Perhaps the final version will have some more complicated or combination of jobs?
Lead Planner of LRFFXIII is the Director, so the game design itself should be solid.

Von Hugh

Protagonist looks like it was pulled straight from the year 2007:

3b492751d74be18909075a318e2137f2.jpg

Plus the graphics look like a Unreal Engine 3 game for PS3 as well. Has the game been in development for the last 15 years or what?

I'm sorry, I just can't get past the fact that the main protagonist is an insufferably generic white dude wearing normal everyday casual wear and carrying a big dumb FF sword (that itself looks like shit).

Have all SE's good art directors left the company or something?

WTF kind of character is this? Everything about it is shit.
For a second I thought I'd somehow stumbled onto that other site. It's interesting how you use race as a pejorative.

SkylineRKR

Its absolutely the worst looking PS5 game I've seen to date. And the loading isn't even that short too. But underneath is a very cool take on FF that resonates more with me than Nioh did. The graphics need one hell of an upgrade though.

Top Bottom