• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things 2 spoiler thread

Kimawolf

So no black bars here. Lets talk.

Shat exaxtly IS the mindslayer. It was never explained. Was it from the Upside Down or someplace else?

Also we got to see number 8 and know 11 whp both have different varying powers, is it safe to assume all of them will have different mind powers?

And finally the security guard said "Papa" was still alive... how?

Typhares

I was wondering the same thing about the mind flayer.
Based on the D&D lore it does come from a different dimension and invade but this is not D&D we have no way of knowing if it was from the upside down originally.

We also don't know if any of the other numbers are alive, I mean I'm sure they could introduce a new one if they wanted but I think it would be a bit redundant at this point.

I think the security guard just wanted to stall and say anything to not get killed at that point.

My questions are more about the demogorgon and demodogs.
At one points it's hinted that dart came from the slugs that Will threw up at the end of season 1. Where are the other coming from? Because I was under the impression that the original demogorgon used Will as an incubator for his offspring. Is there just one demogorgon in the upside down? Do demodogs fully grown become demogorgon?

JakeD

I think if papa was dead, they would have shown a body. He was the main human antagonist character. They definitely left that door open on purpose.

BadHand

I zoned out on the last 2 episodes and might have to rewatch them. Maybe I was too tired but the plot seemed to be deliberately confusing.

120v

mind flayer is obviously the Big Bad of the upside down. future seasons will specify whether it's an instrumentation of 'something more' or just some vague great evil but yeah its big, bad, controlling things and needs to die for happily ever after

jason10mm

Gold Member
My assumption is that the Mindflayer/Shadow Monster goes from dimension to dimension, consuming everything (the veins are his). The demigorgons are a race he came across and enslaved, he uses them as minions now. The upsidedown is just a dimension very close to ours, which is why things bleed over between them and Eleven was able to contact a demigorgon and make a rift. So now, even though the rift is sealed, it is thin enough that he can sense across it, which is why he was over the dance hall.

I wasn't a big fan of the Kali gang, mostly because they were very cartoonish. Hopefully most of them died in the van so Kali can recruit a new group of actual cool punks.

kunonabi

My assumption is that the Mindflayer/Shadow Monster goes from dimension to dimension, consuming everything (the veins are his). The demigorgons are a race he came across and enslaved, he uses them as minions now. The upsidedown is just a dimension very close to ours, which is why things bleed over between them and Eleven was able to contact a demigorgon and make a rift. So now, even though the rift is sealed, it is thin enough that he can sense across it, which is why he was over the dance hall.

I wasn't a big fan of the Kali gang, mostly because they were very cartoonish. Hopefully most of them died in the van so Kali can recruit a new group of actual cool punks.

Eh, Kali herself was the worst part og the group so i dont see how a new crew is really going to help.

mantidor

I thought Kali was awesome, her entourage was weak but I still think is salvageable.

I get the pacing criticism but I don't get the criticism to Kali in particular or episode 7 in general from a storyline standpoint, it was entertaining, it was the obvious logical step for Eleven/Jane story arc and it opened this universe to many cool possibilities, do people really just want season 1 being redone over and over? The kids are going to grow up anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think a lot of the criticism towards Episode 7 stems from it just not being what people come to the show for. The show just doesn't work when you take it out of Hawkins, that's like the epicenter of the charm. Small town characters dealing with this big weird problem. Episode 7 felt like a cheap X-Men pilot.

It's something they could've really covered in less than 10 minutes. But an entire episode, and breaking up the pacing of good episodes like 6 and 8? No thanks

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think a lot of the criticism towards Episode 7 stems from it just not being what people come to the show for. The show just doesn't work when you take it out of Hawkins, that's like the epicenter of the charm. Small town characters dealing with this big weird problem. Episode 7 felt like a cheap X-Men pilot.

It's something they could've really covered in less than 10 minutes. But an entire episode, and breaking up the pacing of good episodes like 6 and 8? No thanks

they didnt even need to do it. the stuff with the mom was probably "necessary" but even that was irrelevant in the grander scheme.

the show is basically twin peaks for millennials, and they jumped out of "twin peaks" way too early.

matt360

so lame how billy just randomly "hated" lucas for no reason

he's obviously fucking racist

why were they so scared to mention that

I could just be being naive, but I didn't take it that way. I gathered that he would have acted that way toward any boy Max was hanging out with. I think he just wanted to exert ultimate control over her. But you could also very well be right.

Kimawolf

I could just be being naive, but I didn't take it that way. I gathered that he would have acted that way toward any boy Max was hanging out with. I think he just wanted to exert ultimate control over her. But you could also very well be right.

i think it was definitely racism. When he first saw her talking to him, he said "there are some things you learn when you're older, and hanging out with that kind is one of them." or something to that effect.

As to why they were avoiding being obvious with him being a racist? People can be racist and not say "hey im a nazi". I think they did it just right as I know people who had parents/siblings just like that he would not say they were racist, but it was SUPER OBVIOUS.

120v

billy's an asshole but making him racist would pretty much close out his character arc right away. maybe he'll be irredeemable in the end but i think they're going places with him other than being demogorgon fodder or whatever

pretty obvious everything stems from his daddy issues and nothing else

EctoPrime

Until the parents showed up I though the story with Billy was heading towards a reveal of him actually being the Stepdad and a plant in the school to watch the older kids.

You can tell Season 3 has an incredibly high chance of having a Ghostbusters inspired fridge scene.

Aurongel

Hot take: I bet if they do another season with these characters then they'll change it up by setting it during Christmas. I would bet money on it.

jadedm17

I.... Yea that was well said.

I have no real complaints of the season but I can understand this post.
Good season, first was better but I still had a good time.

Agreed: Much like LOST the more complicated it became the less I enjoyed. The simplicity of season one was a big plus for me. Season two was still amazing; The music alone is worth the watch.

I thought Billy was going to be chasing down Max at the end, and somehow become possessed by the full power of the Mind Flayer, turning him into a huge monster or something.

It was very entertaining, but seems to wear a little thin near the end.
Will was gone during all of Season 1... and he's basically out of the picture again... 11 doesn't show up to the group till the end episode! So while it was still really great, I was hoping to see the group together.

It sucks, because everything else is so great, but the monster designs just aren't very interesting. Split faced dog is such a been there, done that enemy design.. it's been employed by video games since the early 90s. And the mind flayer is even more generic looking. I do have to give props for baby dart. Absolutely adorable, and somehow, baby dart CG looks a lot better than the rest of it. Also, are there not any other creatures in the upside down? I thought, from the first season, that there was an entire ecosystem of gross otherworldly creatures growing, thriving on dead and dying things.. But here's it's just the demigorgon dogs, the vines, and the big bad. Hmeh.

Anyway, it was great, and there was some interesting chemistry between characters and new pair ups I liked, but I'm still thinking it probably should have been a new story with new characters.. an Anthology series..

Is a third season a given?

e0n

The character dialogue is still pretty entertaining, but I felt like this season was a bit lacking in suspense. There's just a few too many retreads and predictable/cliche moments.

Was the whole Max/Billy tension at the beginning due to family issues? They didn't properly explain who was at "fault for them moving to Hawkins".

Seraphym

My questions are more about the demogorgon and demodogs.
At one points it's hinted that dart came from the slugs that Will threw up at the end of season 1. Where are the other coming from? Because I was under the impression that the original demogorgon used Will as an incubator for his offspring. Is there just one demogorgon in the upside down? Do demodogs fully grown become demogorgon?

I am assuming that they need a host to spawn from, couldn't they be from poor old Barb?

I finally finished. It was pretty good, but I thought the first season was much better.

The kids annoyed me this time around. They were acting dickish and/or selfish this time around, except Lucas.

Found myself liking Steve a lot more this season too. I felt bad for him.

With Jonathan actor's alleged cocaine possession, who knows if the writers might veer Nancy back towards Steve.

For new characters, I loved Max. Billy racist af. I feel bad for Lucas getting involved with the little sister of an abusive, racist bully. She should have spelled it out for Lucas, and let him decide if the risk was worth it. Lucas seems naive to it.

And poor Rudy (Bob). I was rooting for you, man, but you were too good for that crazy world.

Kali and her crew were dark. I was hoping she'd help out El in the end, but it looks like this was her intro for a bigger storyline in season 3. She's definitely going to pull El into some bullshit.

I wouldn't doubt that sketchy doctor has been impregnated with a slug or possessed like Will was or something. Maybe it would have been too soon for those things to happen, but how the heck did he survive with that leg wound? Those dogs got called back just when they were about to finish him? Meh, seems too convenient.

The mindflayer is obviously still around. They never killed it. It looked like it was peeking through the gate that El was trying to close and was just chilling above the school dance at the end. I wonder if we'll finally get to see its true form in season three.

I'm kind of surprised that all of the established characters survived. Heck, I'm kind of surprised Billy survived. Maybe he'll find redemption in season three, and be cool with Lucas and Max by the end. But I hope he or Jonathan gets offed. Heck even badass Mentor Steve or Nancy.

This show's gonna lose its teeth if only randos and new characters gets offed.

Sethista

Very good season but some things annoyed me:

- the conspiracy theory guy, that was a bad way of fleshing out the jonathan and nancy romance. The guy got into the heart of how they felt...how? Felt forced.
Also, they go to his house, give him confirmation of what everyone made fun of him for years, and when its over, he tells them never to reach out again? Felt like stupid movie cliche.

- again they underdeveloped will, even tho he was important to the story. A random girl askes him to dance in the end, that felt like they written themselves into a corner.

- generic enemies and villan motivations.

- hooper being stupid. Oh yeah, i didnt tell anyone about this massive discovery of tunnels, let me go down there where no one knows where I am, with no discernible way of coming back. Didnt feel like that character would do that

- episode 7

Yaari

I had an issue with Steve almost being killed by Billy and then after the fight nobody gave a crap before leaving the house. That was so weird to me.

Grinchy

Banned
I enjoyed it and I look forward to the next season, but some of the writing just felt weaker to me this time around. I just kept finding myself asking questions like, "Why go right out into the back yard if you want Will to not know where he is? Driving down the road is faster than clearing the place out. Hell, go to the sheriff's cabin!"

Things just kept feeling like they were happening for the sake of convenience, and I don't remember feeling that way so often in the first season.

I also hated the Eleven episode where she went and met the freaks. Nothing about it was believable or even all that substantial. It didn't even feel like it was taking place in the same show. They could have cut that shit out and had an 8 episode arc that just littered in pieces of Eleven going and seeing her mom.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just finished it. I enjoyed it overall. Some of it was a bit hammy in places and it wasn't as tight as season one but still a really good show. That guy in the Kali crew just reminded me of streets of rage 2 enemies:

latest

I didn't mind the Kali and team arc, I just think it could have been handled better. Her power is awesome and she just disappeared after episode 1. I think she will definitely be returning. The 'mind flayer' and the 'spy' plus her quote about being able to make the mind believe lies or something - too closely tied together for her to disappear.

I can see her becoming a member of the party, and maybe they have to go into the upside down next time. Battle on it's own ground. Maybe I'm just hoping - but the thought of them venturing into that world all ruined and crumbling with enemies sounds awesome. The lab only really served as the 'gate' and that's gone now so there must be another way to cross over. We already know Elle/Jane can go there at will, so if I had to guess, I would say maybe there's a way to save her mum?

I don't really think Max/Billy brought anything to the season really?

I can't remember if they said Max's mum had moved to be with a new guy or whether he was originally from California? I thought this looked like him on the kill list (apologies for quality - photo from TV App). Would set up a reason for Kali to go to Hawkins next season?

8ZC9wji.jpg

Bob's death was predictable as hell, but it still got me pretty badly when he died. He was a likable character (with no flaws whatsoever), so it's quite unfortunate that he died. It was really cruel when the Duffer Brothers decided to add a scene in which they pan out on a shot of the demo-dogs feasting on Bob's corpse; like seriously, that made me feel worse.

Bob's death was predictable as hell, but it still got me pretty badly when he died. He was a likable character (with no flaws whatsoever), so it's quite unfortunate that he died. It was really cruel when the Duffer Brothers decided to add a scene in which they pan out on a shot of the demo-dogs feasting on Bob's corpse; like seriously, that made me feel worse.

What annoyed me about his death as it took on one of the most overused trope in horror sequence: Disengagement from flight response to stare at loved one before death.

I had an issue with Steve almost being killed by Billy and then after the fight nobody gave a crap before leaving the house. That was so weird to me.

I'm betting this is setting up a plot line for Season 3 where Billy suspects the Byers house being some sort of "drug hangout" since he got stabbed with the needle.

Lowkey though Steve has the most character development in the entire series lol. Bailing on Nancy at the party was an ass move but he went from a stereotypical ass in S1 to giving Dustin a ride to the Snow Ball. :p

edit: Erica (Lucas' little sister) was the best new character by far though and stole every scene, she even made mundane things like pouring syrup funny.

Link

The Autumn Wind
so lame how billy just randomly "hated" lucas for no reason

he's obviously fucking racist

why were they so scared to mention that
I actually took it another way. Going by his father's use of the word "faggot" and his treatment of Billy, the man is obviously bigoted with violent tendencies. I saw Billy's reaction to Lucas as him trying to protect Max from what his father might do to her if he finds out she's friends (or more) with a black kid.

Maybe I'm being naive and Billy is just a shallow racist asshole, but this show has been pretty good at subverting stereotypes, so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

OrionFalls

I also hated the Eleven episode where she went and met the freaks. Nothing about it was believable or even all that substantial. It didn't even feel like it was taking place in the same show. They could have cut that shit out and had an 8 episode arc that just littered in pieces of Eleven going and seeing her mom.
I honestly think that episode was a back-door pilot for a spin off.

t-storm

The character dialogue is still pretty entertaining, but I felt like this season was a bit lacking in suspense.
Yeah, the Duffer Brothers said they were going to spend more time this season with character development and the fallout from the events in season one. I think getting to know these characters better and having more endearing moments was a fair trade off for not as much scare/suspense.

Hopefully they return to form in season three :)

Steve's Bulge in episode five is so big it should have its own Twitter account.

lol... whut? I'm sure it already does.

Also:

jayjay275

Yeah, the Duffer Brothers said they were going to spend more time this season with character development and the fallout from the events in season one. I think getting to know these characters better and having more endearing moments was a fair trade off for not as much scare/suspense.

Hopefully they return to form in season three :)

lol... whut? I'm sure it already does.

Also:

The man, the myth, the legend.

t-storm

I’m in the minority it seems :(

I would love a Kali and crew spin-off.

MOAR KALI

MOAR LINNEA BERTHELSEN

Top Bottom