• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strategy game / Wargame l OT l Let’s talk about hex.

Kagey K

Banned
Posted for pochepiller2 pochepiller2

This is a place to talk everything about strategy game and wargame. You are welcome to talk about everything involving one of the of oldest genre in gaming.

Lets discuss about old game, new game, post your long play, talk about your after action report, find a player, etc.

Here a few adresses if you are curious about the genre:

https://www.matrixgames.com
one of the juggernaut of the genre

nice news site

Battlefront
home of the Combat Mission series

another big publisher

Last edited:
I enjoy strategy games, but damn am I not too great at them.

Still a while back I went on a binge trying some out like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic & AoW 3, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, Warlock 2, Endless Legend, and Worlds of Magic (which then re-released as Planar Conquest which I haven't played yet, though got it for free for buying Worlds of Magic).

I never played Master of Magic but damn did it sound cool, just never actually heard about it back in the day (was too busy with Daggerfall/Might & Magic/etc).

Bwesh

I could never get into grand strategy games so here're some recommendations that aren't too mainstream.

Rimworld. An RTS/survival game about managing crash landed survivors in an alien world. End game is to help your survivors go out back into space. Many still haven't seen the ending due to the shit load of mods you have at your disposal to improve the survival and story aspects. Survivors have their own personalities and traits so every session is different.

Plague Inc. Evolved. You're a pathogen or a fake news outlet looking to infect the whole world. Start from any country and strategize how to spread. Game sessions are short and should last about 15-25 mins each.

Prison Architect
. You have full control on who to take in from low-med-high risk prisoners. Manage their time in cells and the yard, bath time, exercise, and personal time. You can even use prisoners as free labor. Make sure to watch out for escape attempts.

SUPER ROBOT WARS V. Grid type TBS. Famous anime robots fighting other anime robots. Original story so even if you know zero of the characters, the game's completely playable. Difficulty is on the easier side.

Bwesh

I bought the Hong Kong version of Super Robot War V for the play4. There is SRW V, X, and T, do you know which one is the best?
I can't answer since I honestly haven't played the other 2. But I did enjoy what I played of SRW V even though I haven't finished it yet.

EDIT: You can turn off battle animations to make stages go faster or watch the animations at least once then turn off.

Last edited:
Just want to nurture my thread a little.
Here is Unity of Command 2, a really nice looking wargame with emphasis on the supply situation. Can get puzzly at times but still a nice recap of the western front in WW2.

Do you want to play WW2 in a weird scale and at a weekly pace? Do you like anti-tank unit as big as whole army on the playscreen? Do you like clicking 3 times for everyaction in the game? I present you

Nixonomics

Been playing Total War: Warhammer 2 over the last few weeks and have been having an absolute blast. It's been awhile since I've really dipped into anything slow and tactical, so the change of pace has been refreshing. Haven't played a game in a long time that just melted the hours away like this does though. It definitely invokes that "one more turn" feeling of the Civ games. I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in the genre.

Been playing Total War: Warhammer 2 over the last few weeks and have been having an absolute blast. It's been awhile since I've really dipped into anything slow and tactical, so the change of pace has been refreshing. Haven't played a game in a long time that just melted the hours away like this does though. It definitely invokes that "one more turn" feeling of the Civ games. I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in the genre.

is it better than the first one, I never could get into it.

Nixonomics

is it better than the first one, I never could get into it.

I never played the 1st one. But the general consensus seemed to be that the sequel was an improvement over the first. IIRC they added some more depth to the turn based, overworld portions of the campaigns. If you didn't like the first one I doubt the second will change your mind. But if you simply never got into it - which is what happened to me when I bought it months ago - I'd recommend giving it a shot. There's a lot to dig into.

Its a card game but there are strategy in it and its WW2. Very nice art for the card and the game design is simple enough with a little strategy. Like it very much.

5 major nation plus 2 minor one, they try to mimick what the equipment were in real life so its not all fantasy Maus tank vs Iceberg carrier.

The british are very good on defense, their tank suck, their airplane are good .
The german got the best tank, have some blitzing ability in their cards.
Japan is suicidal infantry plus good airplane.
US is good all around I think.
URSS is light infantry plus artillery plus crazy tank.

Italy is a minor country, I don't like them.
France are annoying cards mostly

Do you like art? Are you operational? Is the number four sound great?
The operational art of war 4 is a monster wargame that englobe 100 years of warfare. You can play anything from ww1 to modern war in a brigade to division scale. Its got hundreds of scenario but you'll only play that Korean war one.

I like this wargame, its great to play in PBEM mode (play by e-mail). Still got some issue playing it on my 4klgoled tv I bought to play old wargame on.

Last edited:

Do you wonder how the Yugoslav army will do in a fictional world war 3 in Europe? You think graphic are overrated? You like to have a history order of battle of a fictional war? Do you like to speed up time just enough to see things unravel in a splendid way to disaster? Its for you!

I love strategy games but never have the time for them. It's sad.

However, I have an old Microsoft Surface that all I use it for now is for my yearly playthrough of Panzer General II. All these decades later, it's still fun. It's not terribly hard or creative or anything at this point, but the hand painted maps still look great, and the small sprites still look nice enough, allowing it not to show its age too bad.

I have some mods and equipment packs and other nonsense I downloaded years ago, but it runs and runs well, so I'm happy. I space my play thoughs out long enough so I mostly forget how the maps go, but I always end up doing pretty good, but it's enjoyable.

I tried Open General a little but it is just different enough where I couldn't quite get into it. Maybe at some point when I have free time.

One of the biggest wargame of the year just got a release date.

I expect the same jump in quality that we saw from panzer general 1 to panzer general 2.

Excited to play this in 2021 ( no new game in 2020 for me)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you like turn based fantasy games, get a copy of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 : Complete Edition. Make note it's sprite based shit from around 1999.

One of my fav PC games ever. The Complete Edition is important since it's more content, and more importantly, it has the random map generator. I never even played the canned campaign maps. I played it 100s of hours based solely on tweaking the handful of sliders and options and having random maps.

Technically, I think the random map mode comes from one of the expansion packs, but Complete has everything so no guessing needed.

Tip: When doing random maps, turn off underground dungeons. Waste of time. Underground is mostly barren and the AI likes to drag out matches by dicking around underground.

Didn't know this, but UBI released an HD version in 2015. But I don't think the HD version has as much content as the Complete edition. So check out the content in each if you;re interested in buying.

590e59c2ae653a0c2b7d6250

Last edited:

masterxexe

Neo Member
I love strategy games been playing them ever since I was little from checkers to chess. Starcraft also starcraft 2 which currently I still play to EU4, Total war series which are fantastic games.

I would say warhammer total war is one of the best games I have played very enjoyable. Can argue that simulators is somewhat strategic as well such as sim city games like that. I feel as strategy games are more of a long time project than most games because you can win in a strategy game but it does not mean you have mastered it.

Also with strategy it takes a long effort to achieve the best thing about them is the constant learning that you can never get enough of.

Bolivar687

Banned

You like simple RTS, its litte like command and conquer. Nice voxel like graphic, its from Petroglyph who made Star Wars empire at war.

Petroglyph's follow up to the 8-bit RTS games, Forged Battalion, took similar mechanics, moved out of the 8-bit voxel art style, and let players create their own unique RTS factions. It's classic Command & Conquer harvesting as much as you can and spamming dudes but it forces you to use different units, since new factories don't decrease production time after you've built the third. This is a similar armor/damage matrix as 8-bit Armies and it actually gets a little convoluted keeping track of which damage types deal more or less damage to different armor types. But I'm having a lot of fun even just rushing bots on Skirmish mode.

My favorite has been a chemical weapons faction, with Viper soldiers that spray poison on enemies and the biological superweapon!!!

FoV8wKB.jpg

cd83sI5.jpg

mcz117chief

This is probably the best WW2 hex based strategy game I have ever played. I bought/completed 3 campaigns so far and I plan to buy more but I don't want to over do it. I did the Morning + Rising Sun campaigns (Japanese in WW2 including alternate reality victory of the Japanese in the Pacific, really cool stuff, I love alternate reality WW2) and US Marines in the pacific, a very tough but very enjoyable campaign. These three campaigns plus tutorial took me 55 hours to complete. Next I plan to get the Winter War and then maybe start the German mega campaign.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Hey guys - I created a discord server for our resident strategy enthusiasts as part of my upcoming C&C Remastered OT. Here's the image with the link to the server:

Please feel free to join and make any suggestions!

By the way they added some scenario for Unity of Command 2, still a good game.

And Command and Conquer remastered got Workshop support ! Cool

I'm subscribed to Origin premium ( I know I know) so I guess I'm just getting shat.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
By the way they added some scenario for Unity of Command 2, still a good game.

And Command and Conquer remastered got Workshop support ! Cool

I'm subscribed to Origin premium ( I know I know) so I guess I'm just getting shat.

You should still be able to install everything manually.

Was diving into that yesterday finally. Picked TWH1&2 and faction DLC Up last month when it was all on sale and playing some Mortal Empires.

Definitely has that 4x feel of Endless Legend/Age of Wonders/Fallen Enchantress, except of course it has the best setting.

In my typical mediocre strategy fashion I screwed up several times, but then got a handle on it to a small degree as Norsca. Though a high elf lord with some sun dragons is making my life difficult right now.

GamexGames

Neo Member
As soon as I saw this community/ thread I immediately remembered of legendary AOE series, and the new one coming out hopefully by the end of this year, or the year after.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Grand strategy and RTS types are my favorite, but I'm not very good at them.

I'm not really into "casual" RTS games that feel like the only thing needed to win is more troops. Games that let you just overwhelm the enemy without taking into account things like food, money, resources, troop type, terrain, etc seem a bit simplistic.

Paradox games are hit or miss. I love the idea of them, but the games have some of the worst tutorials I've ever seen and there are just so many details that need to be played several times to really understand how they work. Plus the RNG almost feels like it defeats the purpose of any long-term strategy. It's sometimes hard for me to fight past the minutiae to find the fun.

The Total War franchise is probably the one I've sunk the most hour into, but it's a love/hate relationship because it seems like each game improves two things and messes up something else. Still waiting for the perfect TW game. I prefer the older, more tactics-based historical games as opposed the newer arcade-y fantasy types. Don't get me wrong, Warhammer is fun, but it's just not as fun as Rome or Attila or Medieval or even Britannia. I really enjoy making backstories for all my named characters and role playing out the battles and even the off-field decisions.

I also enjoy smaller scale hex/grid games like AoW or Endless Legend/Space, etc and more real-time action like Steel Division or AirLand Battle.

One I've always wanted to get into but never had the patience to learn is the Graviteam Tactics franchise. Anyone down to teach me?

Anyone want to play some co-op sometime? Shoot me a message on Steam (same name and pic). I'm open to anything but love Total War!

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Anyone else looking forward to the new Total War game? I like the setting and it looks like it's a balance between the casual arcade play of Warhammer and the more tactical play of some of the older TW games. The new unit types look pretty fun.

(Also heard it will be free for 24 hours on launch, the catch is it's only free on Epic. Not sure if I'm willing to go that far to get it).

Last edited:

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I haven't played a Total War game since Medieval 2. Where to begin nowadays? Maybe that free one above?

Tschumi

I got Civ 6 on sale on steam, haven't played it yet but hyped for it. Div 3 is my all time favourite in this genre, slightly ahead of Alpha Centauri thanks to a few generational quality of life improvements~

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Browsing through the Gamepass offerings I came across Endless Space 2. Has anyone tried that?

Bolivar687

Banned
I got Civ 6 on sale on steam, haven't played it yet but hyped for it. Div 3 is my all time favourite in this genre, slightly ahead of Alpha Centauri thanks to a few generational quality of life improvements~

Civil VI actually goes back a bit to Civ III where you are incentivized to keep building new cities, whereas Civ IV and V penalized you for building more than just a few powerhouse cities. It's my personal favorite in the series.

Tschumi

As soon as I saw this community/ thread I immediately remembered of legendary AOE series, and the new one coming out hopefully by the end of this year, or the year after.

That looks pretty great, but I'm also certain that when they slap a restrictive FOV on it, etc, it won't be nearly as brain bendingly awesome. I notice that they got formations moving seamlessly through curved city streets - very interested to see if they can translate that to gameplay without it looking janky as heck.

Furthermore, it's astonishing how similar that video is to the teaser screenshots that they were putting out for AoE3 - showing a lush and detailed, anti-aliased and realistically proportioned world that we would never see in the real game. Talk about catastrophic downgrading...

I'm really butthurt about AoE 3 :p If they don't get AoE 4 just right - and I mean exactly right - it will be a non-event for me.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Total War: TROY is free on EPIC for the day if anyone is brave enough to grab it. I added it to my library but still haven't installed the Epic launcher (ever after the dozens of free games I've picked up since they started giving them away). And as much as I love TW games I don't think I'll install for this unless I can confirm there is a co-op mode.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Anybody interested in starting a co-op campaign of Total War: Three Kingdoms? Saturday afternoon/evenings is pretty much my only time to play. Shoot me a message...

JJMC

Neo Member
I've been getting more and more interested in grand war games. IH4 or EU4 seem interesting but also complex and I have no idea about how multiplayer tends to play out in those games.

Is it feasible to play those in multiplayer in asynchronous fashion? Is there enough of a playerbase for that?

GeekyDad

Gonna be going back to Knights in the Nightmare of all games here soon. It's been years and years since I played it on DS. But been wanting to try the PSP version. It was layered so deep with tutorials and such, but it was also such a wonderfully refreshing take on its respective genre. Gotta finish SMTIV (again), but I think I'll dive into KitN right after.

Nixonomics

New DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2 drops today. It includes a new Legendary Lord for the Wood Elves and Skaven as well as the long awaited Wood Elf re-work.

Top Bottom