• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray, Kena, and Sifu prove that indies aren't just '8 bit depression simulators'

Belthazar

Shu is doing an amazing job at curation with PlayStation indies, he just hit it out of the park with securing these + FIST, Anno Mutationen and a few others. All around great games that are doing much more than AAAs for me.

There's alot of shitty indie games too which makes the good ones stand out even more. When they're good, they're really good though. AAA open world stagnation is setting in and indies can fill that gap and give us more unique, fun and interesting games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hey OP wtf is that about indies being mostly depression simulators? I don't get that meme.
a lot of people seem to just think indies are all about mental health issues because of the success of games like OMORI and Celeste even though those are like a fraction of the games available lmao
(not even joking, those are the only ones i can even think of that relate to mental health and OMORI's kind of a weird one since it's less about depression/anxiety and more about trauma)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Still waiting for Indie games like SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Breath of Fire 3-5, Suikoden 2-5, FF 7-12, Resident Evil 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Saga Frontier 1-2, Onimusha 1-3, Skies of Arcadia, Silent Hill 1-4, Mass Effect 1-3 etc
all of those are games from like 20 years ago my dude, although there are a shitton of RPG Maker games out there which seek to emulate the games you listed for the most part
You do bring up a good point mentioning metal gear solid and Resident evil though, odd that most indies don't really seem to bother with that kind of stuff

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't know if you were talking to me, but I'll answer.

I care because they shit up the place I like to cone and talk about video games, without having played most of the games they are shitting on.

It distracts from the conversation and turns threads into fights, instead of something we can enjoy.

It's fine to not like something, but to jump in, make a foolhardy post and then fight for 3 pages ruins everybody's experience.

Most people here seem to play alone (sad) so this is where they come to talk when they are done

I was referring to the OP. Its normal for the commoners to talk about things they don’t know due to their refusal to venture out of their comfort zone. you will have to get used to it or block them

Lognor

Banned
Shu is doing an amazing job at curation with PlayStation indies, he just hit it out of the park with securing these + FIST, Anno Mutationen and a few others. All around great games that are doing much more than AAAs for me.
Honestly, all three (Nintendo, MS & Sony) are doing an amazing job at curation.

MS locked down classics like Ori and Cuphead. Nintendo got launch console exclusivity on Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight 2 is coming day one to Game Pass! I just realized Into the Breach is still exclusive to Switch, and that is one of the best indies out there in recent years, period.

There are just so many amazing indies today. I honestly don't know how 64bitmodels 64bitmodels only just discovered this. He must have been going out of his way not to realize the amazing indies out there!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly, all three (Nintendo, MS & Sony) are doing an amazing job at curation.

MS locked down classics like Ori and Cuphead. Nintendo got launch console exclusivity on Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight 2 is coming day one to Game Pass! I just realized Into the Breach is still exclusive to Switch, and that is one of the best indies out there in recent years, period.

There are just so many amazing indies today. I honestly don't know how 64bitmodels 64bitmodels only just discovered this. He must have been going out of his way not to realize the amazing indies out there!
I've been an indie guy since i got into gaming my guy- i've always favored what individuals and groups make over corporations, starting with fangames, then going into more well known stuff. I'm not exactly a veteran but i know my shit, i've played Cave Story, and Yume Nikki and those games are like 99% of the reason indies are as popular as they are today (the former is one of my favorite video games of all time)

Last edited:

Xeaker

all of those are games from like 20 years ago my dude, although there are a shitton of RPG Maker games out there which seek to emulate the games you listed for the most part
You do bring up a good point mentioning metal gear solid and Resident evil though, odd that most indies don't really seem to bother with that kind of stuff
Yes but that's what I mean, all I hear is that Indies are so good, but why is there no game like those mentioned with AT LEAST PS2/Xbox/GC graphics?
So no Indies are nothing to me. They can't even make quality games like the ones mentioned.

kuncol02

Banned
I will never understand why some indie devs like using 8 bit or older style graphics. Just because a game is indie it dosent need to look like shit.

Luckly thers still a good amount of indie devs that apreciate good visuals and artstyle. Those are the ones that get my money.
Because actual INDIE developers don't have money to make games with good 3d graphics most of the time? Games OP listed are not indie (even Cuphead was financed by MS).

In my experience, Indies is usually where it's at when it comes to interesting/novel game mechanics and fresh ideas.

Currently playing Stray and Papers, Please and both are fun and interesting in their own ways.

Not sure if makes sense to call indies just who make games without investment or publisher.
Was making alone an entire contemporary music/sound puzzle first person narrative driven game and changed my planning to focus on making a prototype for picthing.
I could finish it myself but investment or publishers can allow your ideia to become so much bigger, having a small team and marketing resources.......its still the same ideia and the same independent dificulties but with a better outcome

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I don’t think its just looks. Alot of indies look better than AAA titles on the Switch. Kena and Stray look miles better than SMT or Pokemon etc. Gamefreak should be ashamed of themselves anyway for the amount of money they generate

ZoukGalaxy

Can't agree more.
I would add TUNIC to this awesome list !
Fox Adventure GIF by Xbox
Wake Up Yawn GIF by Xbox

KXVXII9X

I don’t think its just looks. Alot of indies look better than AAA titles on the Switch. Kena and Stray look miles better than SMT or Pokemon etc. Gamefreak should be ashamed of themselves anyway for the amount of money they generate
I think it is due to Games like Pokémon having strong roots in handheld gaming and games like SMT usually had less funding than your typical AAA game like Final Fantasy. Even the best looking SMT games, Persona 5 and SMTV are PS3 level. It seems a lot of these Japanese games have near AA funding. Also, the Switch is 5-year-old mobile hardware competing against Last gen and current gen systems. Both Kena and Stray have impressive lighting. Kena even stresses my gaming laptop. I do think Pokémon suffers with good art direction that makes the most out of limited hardware. It insists on making things look realistic and cartoony at the same time instead of fully embracing a stylistic approach. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 looks much better despite being larger than Pokemon Legends Arceus.

Top Bottom