• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - May 2018 - PS4, XBO, Switch, and PC

Raitaro

This is a dream come true for me and another sign that Capcom is turning things around (with previous signs being Resi 7, REmake 2 announcement, DMC5 leak/rumor, DMC HD Collection, Okami HD, Dragon's Dogma HD and all the recent Mega Man 11 / Collection news).

Now I don't have to reconnect my Dreamcast when I get nostalgic about Sean's awesome Christmas stage in SFIII: New Generation during the holidays!

No Alpha 3 Gold does diminish the value a bit though, as others have pointed out. Would have been cool to see that included so we'd have all the characters they added for that version.

That said, here's to hoping they will do something similar for the Darkstalkers series (in a lead up to the once promised new DS game), preferably by including all variations of DS3 as well as a complete version with all the characters grouped together (like I believe was featured on the Japanese only PS2 collection).

Heck, I'd take similar collections for most old Capcom series to be honest, especially if they include more obscure beat 'm ups or fighting games like Battle Circuit, Cyberbots and Red Earth.

RAIDEN1

Why didn't they bring this out this year? If I am correct technically this was the anniversary year, the game/series didn't debut in 1988...?

JP

Why didn't they bring this out this year? If I am correct technically this was the anniversary year, the game/series didn't debut in 1988...?
The first game was summer 1987, wasn't it? That means the 30th anniversary is actually summer 2018.

I’m glad the news is real and I’m super excited about having all these games in one place and with trophies.
Especially 3 and 2nd Impact as I never really got to play those outside of arcades.

I hate to sound ungrateful but it is a shame they’re not all the definitive versions. I understand if this is just an arcade collection which means no Alpha 3 Max, but Alpha 2 Dash and Zero 3 Upper had arcade releases so would’ve been nice to see them here.

Also Pocket Fighter should be in there as a hidden/bonus game. That would be amazing.

Now we know why Capcom hasn't greenlit any of the games from this collection for Xbox One BC. They allowed SF4 because it wasn't going to be part of this collection.

future consoles BC permitting, this collection is finally the complete way to play all the best 2D Street Fighter games

Capcom will block it so they can sell you the 40th anniversary edition instead.

JP

I'd really like to see an anthology like this but for all the vs. series games but I suppose many of them are going to be close to impossible now due the licensing issues that you inherently get with that type of game.

I nice Capcom vs. Marvel vs. Namco vs. Tatsunoko vs. Pocket Fighter Collection type thing. There are so many reasons for that not to happen though. I do at least hope that we'll get the other Marvel vs. Capcom games now that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom was released on current consoles.

Also, where the hell are the Darkstalkers games, I know Ono has said ages ago that he wanted more of those games.

Dammit, I've talked myself into wanting an Complete Capcom Fighting Universe type collection now. 🙁

Pejo

Wish they'd forego some of those SF2 iterations for the SF: EX Series, but you can't complain too much. I'm not going to pay 40 for this, but I'll probably pick it up on sale eventually.

The positive takes for me on this: these will now all have official, modern PC releases.Particularly 3S and ST.

I'm interested in seeing how they do HF since it's notoriously a pain to emulate properly and even if you get to it, online play for it goes to hell very fast.

Now we know why Capcom hasn't greenlit any of the games from this collection for Xbox One BC. They allowed SF4 because it wasn't going to be part of this collection.

Capcom will block it so they can sell you the 40th anniversary edition instead.

That is admittedly a bit shitty of them. I've been waiting for Capcom to green light SF3 for Xbox BC for far too long and now it's clear that they blocked it just to resell us the same ROM again. On a positive note, they've done the same thing with Darksiders so there's perhaps a chance of that getting a collection too.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll relegate this from a day one purchase to a deep sale purchase instead. I'm still looking forward to it though.

dbztrk

We need this too..Thanks for the Anniversary Collection Capcom...However, please do something similar for the EX series....

Eventually, remasters of the CVS series....

Capcom doesn't have the EX series. These are owned by Arika. Also, Capcom doesn't have the rights to CVS. Hopefully they can work something out with the respective copyright holders.

thelastword

Banned
Capcom doesn't have the EX series. These are owned by Arika. Also, Capcom doesn't have the rights to CVS. Hopefully they can work something out with the respective copyright holders.
Yeah of course, that's what I'm drawing at, but if a company can make it happen it's them surely since they're the bigger partner (financially+clout) in both the EX and CVS series.....but yeah, I'd like to see that happen with a CVS3 and possibly EX4 in the works....soon thereafter....Speaking of EX, I'm taking Darun through the paces in EX Layer as we speak...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm curious how these games are gonna hold up on HDTV's today.
I guess Street Fighter III is the only one that has gotten a recent release to know what to expect.

Needs to be...
Ultra Street Fighter II
Street Fightee Alpha 2 Gold (w/ online)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Street Fighter III: Online Edition

Don't see point of making thiis collection if they don't have the ultimate versions of everything.

kunonabi

Needs to be...
Ultra Street Fighter II

Don't see point of making thiis collection if they don't have the ultimate versions of everything.

The "Ultimate" versions are pretty much unusable as far as competitive play goes so they aren't worth the trouble really. If the rest of the collection was super barebones they might be missed but Capcom looks to be putting in enough effort for the set. Well, aside from not having online play for Alpha 2 anyway.

Hell, actually getting arcade perfect ST after all these years is a big enough get as it is.

Rose with meterless alpha counters will be missed though.

Needs to be...
Ultra Street Fighter II

Ultra will probably get its own port at some point if there's enough interest. But on this collection, there's no way they would put a game that just got released and built fairly specifically for a new system into a $40 collection package.

Z2A/Gold/Dash/etc had a lot of changes made to it that most people didn't even really see unless they got it on 32-bit systems or played it in MAME. Seriously. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I see why it's not there.

A3 Max/Double Upper is a PSP version that, while awesome, is a freaking mess of weird ideas. It's got pieces of the DC version, arcade re-release on Naomi, the 3 characters added for the GBA version, and Ingrid who was added for the PSP version. Having what was added to Upper (the home port characters) would be about all one could potentially expect and would be welcome but, again, did most people play that far?

Online Edition has nothing of note over the arcade and DC/PS2/Xbox ports except maybe extra colors. That's it.

I mean, we have a lot of time between now and then. It also just got announced. We should probably all stop complaining about this or that missing or "I would have done it this way" posts when all we could talk about forever was that it was happening then not happening. I think most of us who give a damn about it would be happier to see proper ports of ST, HF, A2, A3, and 3S than some more janky ports of versions of the games that most people won't care about anyway.

necroticart

Neo Member
I will probably get this on ps4 and switch just to have them on modern systems. I do wish they would have included ultimate versions of each game so they can become the standard. I would love to have sf3 3rd strike with all the stages from sf3 and sf3 2nd impact along with the ability to color edit the sprites. Same for alpha 2 gold why not include it hell it has cammy in it. Honestly if capcom wants to be successful they need to give players something fully featured. SF5 has shown the result of releasing a product that is in a bare bones state.

Needs to be...
Ultra Street Fighter II

It seems to me that the idea behind this whole collection is that they are "Arcade Perfect", which is why these special editions don't exist in it. I don't disagree with your point, but I understand why they wouldn't be included in this collection.

Wonko_C

I'm hoping at least some of those versions are going to be included as unlockable extras (like in SFA Anthology PS2), they just weren't announced.

kunonabi

This shall be mine... Now I just gotta find a Switch controller with a good d-pad.

Im getting for the ps4 since that is where my stick and the rest of current gen fighting collection is but id tempted to double dip for the switch if a decent pad gets made. I cant use the joycons since there are dpads and i hate the pro controller. Has there been any word on a wireless Saturn styled controller in the works?

Futaleufu

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/17/japanese-fans-upset-street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection-good-reason/

Japan will get the american versions of the games.

There are 3 gameplay differences I can think of right now:

-Zangief's jumping headbutt in all the SF2 games is an instant dizzy in the japanese versions, making it a high risk/high reward attack, while in the american version it's only useful to stop Vega's/Claw's Barcelona Attack.

-In SF2:CE Balrog's/Boxer's Straight Dash doesn't hit a crouch opponent. It does in the japanese version. And Bison's/Dictator's Psycho Crusher is a lot more punishable on block in japanese.

I'm sure there are many more gameplay differences.

Missing the latest arcade versions of games like Alpha 3, online play for only a few titles, no support for different region versions, $40 -- this release seems remarkably lazy, even by Capcom standards. Hopefully at least elements like the netcode and lobbies are on point.

splattered

I would be totally ok with Capcom pushing this one back to flesh it out a little more ND adding online to more titles.

Dante83

Banned
Isn't alpha 3 upper not well liked by the fighting game community and stuff? The original alpha 3 was the one that they liked more.

Isn't alpha 3 upper not well liked by the fighting game community and stuff? The original alpha 3 was the one that they liked more.

We're talking about Alpha 3. I don't think large numbers of the fighting game community like any particular version. It's kind of a lousy fighter. But no reason not to have the latest as an option for those who want the larger cast and less glitches.

kunonabi

Fighting game scenes usually stick with the original arcade releases of things especially Capcom games of that era. Home releases rarely supplanted the arcade releases and most of Capcom's attempts to balance things ended poorly which certainly didnt help.

SS4Ricky

Neo Member
Oh man I am all in for a switch version. Handheld street fighter sounds awesome, and it's been a long time since I've played a street fighter game on Nintendo(sf2 switch doesn't count>.>).

frogger

Is the game worth 30$? I own just about every game in this collection on other systems already. $30 is tempting but want to wait for $20.

Top Bottom