• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - May 2018 - PS4, XBO, Switch, and PC

Is the game worth 30$? I own just about every game in this collection on other systems already. $30 is tempting but want to wait for $20.
Honestly, not really, unless you really really want to play Hyper Fighting, OG Super Turbo (but this version is also the broken AI international arcade version that Capcom pulled and replaced in arcades way back when), and Alpha 3 online, and play the first 2 versions of SF3. The gallery is pretty cool, but that's about it. Alpha Anthology is better ports of Alpha series, and both the PS2 version and Online Edition are better versions of 3rd Strike.

TacosNSalsa

Is the game worth 30$? I own just about every game in this collection on other systems already. $30 is tempting but want to wait for $20.
Nope...I bought it for 22 I think on CDKeys and still feel like an idiot for buying it. There are better versions of these games out there (sounds like you might have them already to) . the only way I can maybe recommend it is if MUST play the online enabled games online.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's not incredibly awful, but there are better ports. It feels like an emulator running random arcade versions of these games.

I've had some awful disconnects during online matches. To my knowledge there's no way to exit an online match, so players still message you saying you're the "roach" because the match got disconnected.

I have played 3rd Strike in a Japanese arcade cabinet, on the Xbox 20th Anniversary, the Japanese PS2 version, and the digital port on PS3. This version feels good at times, so I can't say it's that awful. Some things feel better than others. I personally like the feeling the arcade rom gives off. I'm also not an expert on the different technical aspects of each one I've played.

If you aren't sure on what technical or changes in the coding then you won't be that disappointed. Yeah it's stupid online for Alpha 2 or the first 2 SF3 games wasn't included and you don't get the extra characters in Alpha 3 that were in Alpha 3 MAX. It feels incomplete that way.

SF3 2nd impact is fun, but I only had a chance to play it in arcade after 3rd Strike was out. Not having it online sorta sucks.

The sad part is is that Capcom wants this game to be the current way to play these games online. Otherwise you have to load up emulators or older consoles. I don't mind playing my PS2 port alone by myself, but this is where you'll get a match for 3rd Strike online.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Honestly, not really, unless you really really want to play Hyper Fighting, OG Super Turbo (but this version is also the broken AI international arcade version that Capcom pulled and replaced in arcades way back when), and Alpha 3 online, and play the first 2 versions of SF3. The gallery is pretty cool, but that's about it. Alpha Anthology is better ports of Alpha series, and both the PS2 version and Online Edition are better versions of 3rd Strike.

How can the PS2 version of 3rd Strike be better than arcade emulation?

How can the PS2 version of 3rd Strike be better than arcade emulation?
There is a reason Online Edition used the PS2 version as a base opposed to the arcade version. Well for one thing emulation itself added stuff like the additional 1 frame of input delay, so there goes being arcade perfect and so the PS2 version actually being a half a frame faster than the arcade version is preferable to this versions input delay being a full frame slower. Also Maximilian was talking about some stuff you could do in the arcade version and not in any of the other home versions, and in this you still can't do it, so again not a arcade perfect emulation after all. Not to mention the lack of bonus features and options, not being able to add the 3K/3P shortcuts in this version, and all that. It's only better than the Dreamcast version.

dirthead

Banned
There is a reason Online Edition used the PS2 version as a base opposed to the arcade version. Well for one thing emulation itself added stuff like the additional 1 frame of input delay, so there goes being arcade perfect and so the PS2 version actually being a half a frame faster than the arcade version is preferable to this versions input delay being a full frame slower. Also Maximilian was talking about some stuff you could do in the arcade version and not in any of the other home versions, and in this you still can't do it, so again not a arcade perfect emulation after all. Not to mention the lack of bonus features and options, not being able to add the 3K/3P shortcuts in this version, and all that. It's only better than the Dreamcast version.

Okay, but that's just better than _bad_ emulation. There are emulators with next frame input response. Not sure why an expensive ass collection like this couldn't have implemented it like that.

RAIDEN1

Without the absolute best iterations of the alpha and 3rd strike series..as well as the the game of the movie...this collection doesn't quite match the hype it had..

sn0man

Any news on if the Japanese release has anything meaningful better to it? Not having region restrictions this gen just means the first region to release is sometimes a beta.

Top Bottom