• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary:You're Capcom CEO, how would you bring SF Alpha back?

yurinka

Imagine that considering this month starts the Street Fighter's 30th anniversary and being happy with Ultra SF2 relative success, Capcom decides to release another title similar to USF2. But in this case about SFA series.

Considering this, how would you bring SFA back?

20150226_SFAZ2_RP.jpg

I'd make this:

Street Fighter Alpha 4 (PS3, XBO, Switch, PC)

• All stages from SFA, SFA2 Gold, SFA3 MAX
  • All game modes from SFA 3 (Dreamcast version)
  • Hyper Street Fighter Alpha stuff unlocked at the start (selectable character gameplay versions of all SFA games, extra options with more features, OST from SFA games + SFII + Super Gem Fighter + Final Fight)
  • All characters from SFA 3 MAX (so Maki, Ingrid, Eagle, Kyosuke & Yun are in) + Ruby Heart + Decapre + Amingo + Q + Oro + Dudley (too young characters or linked plot wise o Gill's organization SFA3 would be out)
  • Unlockable gallery with all official (so no-Udon) artwork from SFA games, both Japanese and English (SFA Anthology featured only USA or JP flyers depending on the region of the game)
  • New endings for all characters in arcade mode, plot set betweet SFA3 and SFII. Once you complete it for a character, unlocks selectable SFA, SFA2/SFA2G, SFA3 endings for this character if available
  • Casual, Ranked, up to 8P Private lobby online matches
  • CFN and Replay systems
  • PS4 & PC crossplay (due to deal with Sony plus existing SFV work)
  • Color edit mode
  • Achievements, with visible progress in-game for Switch version
  • Challenges like the weekly ones from SFV or the ones from SF3 3rd Strike Online Edition

Considering the relatively low performance on USF2 and SFV sales, they'd have a small budget.

So considering the company's rehashing tradition they'd basically rehash everything from previous games but mixing it in a new game instead of making another compilation with separated, emulated titles (as they already did with SFA) they'd use a new numbered game title instead, in order to make it also more appealing.

guy_2.jpg

liquidtmd

Banned
Capcom decides to release another title similar to USF2.

Decent because of what it is, but half-assed and overpriced :(

No one could top what you've already suggested but it's sad in that they will never, ever do it.

Ports of the separate Dreamcast / PS1 versions is probably the best we can expect.

yurinka

Decent because of what it is, but half-assed and overpriced :(

No one could top what you've already suggested but it's sad in that they will never, ever do it.

Ports of the separate Dreamcast / PS1 versions is probably the best we can expect.

I think it's difficult to see something similar to what I suggested. But I think it would be easy for them just to rehash stages, OST, game modes etc from different already existing games, instead of adding extras similar to the USF2 ones (Way of the Hadou mode, tag battle, color edit, "new" characters, etc).

CO_Andy

Free to play with two available characters: Ryu and Ken. Each additional character is $4 and each additional color is $1.

yurinka

I wouldn't

Street Fighter EX4, baby
Seems Arika is already working on it.

SFV and MVCI teams are also busy, but Capcom devs (or whatever outsourcing team who may have developed) USF2 or previous SF compilations/HD versions could work on this new SFA title.

Blackage

Eh if they gave Street Fighter Alpha the Ultra Street Fighter II treatment, I think I'd be giddy provided it's not a Switch exclusive.

The Alpha series has 40 characters/sprites going off the final version of Alpha Max that had Yun & that magical girl Maximilian Dood hates. Give me a new mechanic or even more characters and I'd be in there. Alpha still looks great and playing it on modern netcode would be fun...uhhh well maybe, it's Capcom so that shit could go both ways since they don't want to spend money on that GGPO netcode fee apparently.

liquidtmd

Banned
Free to play with two available characters: Ryu and Ken. Each additional character is $4 and each additional color is $1.

You know what, DoA Last Fighters really impressed me with its F2P implementation so I'd actually be ok with this if done right
they wouldn't do it right

Powerpuff

Street Fighter Alpha IV should not be a simple update but a true new entry in series.
Use the Unreal Engine with some cel shading like Guilty Gear Xrd to keep the anime look of the Alpha series and get Street Fighter back on the right direction.
Next step DarkStalkers... *end of the dream*

TheOGB

Banned
I think it's difficult to see something similar to what I suggested. But I think it would be easy for them just to rehash stages, OST, game modes etc from different already existing games, instead of adding extras similar to the USF2 ones (Way of the Hadou mode, tag battle, color edit, "new" characters, etc).
But implementing all that rehashed stuff still costs time and money 🤔

I don't know that it'd be easier to throw everything in just because the assets are old. If we're going for a dream revival then yeah, that stuff would be rad. But if we're working with a small budget, we'd probably be getting "3rd Strike Online Edition: But It's Alpha" or something.

I'd do basically that, but closer to Darkstalkers Resurrection: Alpha 2 with online, and Alpha 3 with all the fixins. Console modes, online, gallery, custom soundtracks.

yurinka

But implementing all that rehashed stuff still costs time and money ��

I don't know that it'd be easier to throw everything in just because the assets are old. If we're going for a dream revival then yeah, that stuff would be rad. But if we're working with a small budget, we'd probably be getting "3rd Strike Online Edition: But It's Alpha" or something.

I'd do basically that, but closer to Darkstalkers Resurrection: Alpha 2 with online, and Alpha 3 with all the fixins. Console modes, online, gallery, custom soundtracks.
All SFA games use the same resolution so to include stages from other games they only need to copy and paste.

I think before they think about remastering/redoing any of the Alpha series we're more likely to see 'complete package' editions of 3 and 4 come to Switch, tbh.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'd just release a Third Strike Online type definitive variant of Alpha 3 Max for all the current platforms that also had a selectable 2 Gold. I think that's a realistic expectation.

shaowebb

I wouldn't do anything for it and I'd push the coinciding Megaman Anniversary over it, but then find a fan project for SF that involved Megaman and push it at no real risk.

Feels just as wrong saying that with the roles of MM and SF reversed. Sad thing is that it happened in real life to MM.

Truth be told for the anniversaries I'd make a power stone style game with MM and SF cast and use it to push both. I'd include all the cast but have stage builders to play Megaman Maker using parts from any MM character's stage that was in the game. You can use SF or MM cast to play the levels. Essentially mario maker with both a smash mode and a MM maker mode and it has both SF and MM.

I wouldn't
Me neither.

I'd remake Street Fighter with only Martial Arts-characters (no Psycho Power or Satsui no Hado-Stuff) with this roster:

Ryu
Ken
Joe or Cody
Balrog ("replacing" Mike)
Eagle
Dudley (replacing Birdie)
Gouken or Retsu
Ibuki or Geki
Lee or Yun
Gen
Chun Li
Fei Long
Zangief or Haggar
Adon
Sagat
Kim Kaphwan or Hwoarang as guest character

liquidtmd

Banned
The fetishism of the past on GAF is on an asinine level. Just play the new games.

* Posts picture of a 14 year old game that in itself got a HD re-release

It's Street Fighters 30th anniversary. What's wrong in lusting after the option to replay some classics on modern formats?

* Posts picture of a 14 year old game that in itself got a HD re-release

It's Street Fighters 30th anniversary. What's wrong in lusting after the option to replay some classics on modern formats?

Games aren't like old cell phones that you discard after you get a new one.

There's new games available. Why keep drudging up old games that are better with rose tinted glasses on?

Because that's what the thread is about and what the OP is asking

And I'm saying it's a fruitless exercize.

Do you feel the same way about movies and books? You're essentially saying that games are disposable.

I'm not the type to consume media twice. And it's not like there's no way to play these old games anymore. Grab a PS1/Saturn and Alpha on Ebay and go nuts. It's not like the characters are that fundamentally different now. If you're itching for Isms, it's already out there.

poodaddy

Gold Member
There's new games available. Why keep drudging up old games that are better with rose tinted glasses on?
What's the point of this input? The thread was a question on SF Alpha, which is different enough from the other entries to warrant some people legitimately preferring it over others. Why are you shitting up the thread making fun of people who enjoy older games? Do you hate all older movies? Why ever watch The Godfather when you can watch The Hitman's Bodyguard right?

What's the point of this input? The thread was a question on SF Alpha, which is different enough from the other entries to warrant some people legitimately preferring it over others. Why are you shitting up the thread making fun of people who enjoy older games? Do you hate all older movies? Why ever watch The Godfather when you can watch The Hitman's Bodyguard right?

There's ways to play Alpha already available. Wanna drag the Alpha corpse like SF2? Why not talk about having an event within SFV to celebrate the anniversary?

gelf

If we got a game like the one outlined in the OP I would never need another Street Fighter again. That would be perfection.

A world tour mode using every stage in entire Alpha series would be a dream.

None of this will ever happen sadly.

If Capcom release a Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 4 for current gen consoles and PC it's gonna be the nail in the coffin for the following beta version/demo sold as a full priced game which is still in development: Street Fighter V

poodaddy

Gold Member
There's ways to play Alpha already available. Wanna drag the Alpha corpse like SF2? Why not talk about having an event within SFV to celebrate the anniversary?

But the OP is not about SFV, it's about Alpha. It's about a game that plays extremely differently than SFV, and as such playing an Alpha themed event within V does not address OP's concern, though it would certainly add value to V and as such I think it's a great idea, but it's certainly no substitute for a great Alpha rerelease.

But the OP is not about SFV, it's about Alpha. It's about a game that plays extremely differently than SFV, and as such playing an Alpha themed event within V does not address OP's concern, though it would certainly add value to V and as such I think it's a great idea, but it's certainly no substitute for a great Alpha rerelease.

Whatever. If I brought anything back I'd be CvS2 anyways.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
And I'm saying it's a fruitless exercize.

I'm not the type to consume media twice. And it's not like there's no way to play these old games anymore. Grab a PS1/Saturn and Alpha on Ebay and go nuts. It's not like the characters are that fundamentally different now. If you're itching for Isms, it's already out there.

Here comes the "if you want old game go get the old console" excuse 😂

Top Bottom